Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

Has anyone managed to tame any of the really weird creatures on exotic planets? I just downloaded the update, but haven’t had much luck capturing any abominations yet... though all I’ve tried is throwing basic food on the ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Crab friend is now my actual crab friend. I am going to perform horrific experiments on his young.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

inkmoth posted:

Has anyone managed to tame any of the really weird creatures on exotic planets? I just downloaded the update, but haven’t had much luck capturing any abominations yet... though all I’ve tried is throwing basic food on the ground

I'm pretty sure you can't tame anything that you can't interact with when you get close. I tried to tame those rolling abominations, and they don't' really even move, and was never able to get the prompt. This also means you can't tame flying creatures, digging creatures, and yes, the giant worms.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I love the spectrum of the tone of the update. From "Hi new pet friend :swoon:" to gene alteration and animal experimentation to create things that should not be.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

StarkRavingMad posted:

I need to go back and find my bro again with this new update. I am so excited.

I am so happy. I found my best friend again and now he can come with me.

He is very large.

I also went back and adopted these two hosed up mechanical things I found awhile back.

They're special so I had to feed them ion batteries instead of creature pellets. I wonder if I can crossbreed them with big bro?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

StarkRavingMad posted:

I am so happy. I found my best friend again and now he can come with me.

My word. Does he fit on the Anomaly? I suppose all those gigantic ramps and doors make sense now.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Feel I made good progress on the adoption front.

The first thing is basically an Elcor from Mass Effect, except 2.5x as large with a long tail, artichokes for eyes and a protruding horizontal butthole for a mouth. The pet AI does wacky poo poo because sometimes his hips seem to come entirely dislocated (this doesn't happen with the untamed specimens) and sometimes he starts spinning in circles. Plus sometimes he gets excited and starts running/flailing around and he ran into me and kicked me about 300 yards. I lost a health bar on impact. The noises he makes sound like an industrial whoopee cushion. Also when he shits it's the size of a Volkswagen. I love him.

The second thing is a giant brain with a spider's face - multiple eyes, hairs and all. Then it has about 10 tentacle legs. And it levitates. The menu says its too young to lay eggs so I can't wait to see what further eldritch horror it becomes upon maturity. :allears:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Incredible lack of screenshots in these posts.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

StarkRavingMad posted:

I also went back and adopted these two hosed up mechanical things I found awhile back.

They're special so I had to feed them ion batteries instead of creature pellets. I wonder if I can crossbreed them with big bro?

Oh dang, I've never seen mechanical animals. Where did you find them?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

my first pet. "leggy"

he's slow but he handles most kinds of terrain better than the land vehicles

Glazius posted:

My word. Does he fit on the Anomaly? I suppose all those gigantic ramps and doors make sense now.

unfortunately some creatures seem to shrink on the anomaly. also they aren't really "there" they are like a holoprojection when on the anomaly

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Feb 18, 2021

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Black Pants posted:

This was a brand new save I started after this update (since I haven't played in a while) so I guess the bug is still around/back. I started on an ice world with no trees, just sparse little stick plants that give me 160 or so carbon when I mine them. No crazy oxygen from hostile flora though.

That might be within the normal range for resources; the amount isn't relative to the physical size of anything at all. On my home base planet, blow up a towering tree several times your height and you'll get like 40-50 carbon. Tiny mushroom the size of your fist? 80+ carbon!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

Oh dang, I've never seen mechanical animals. Where did you find them?

They're rare but you can sometimes find mechanical animals on planets in uncharted/uninhabited systems.

Nobody has found Marilyn Manson yet though.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I also went for absurd leg length

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

You get pets now? jeez

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

dennyk posted:

That might be within the normal range for resources; the amount isn't relative to the physical size of anything at all. On my home base planet, blow up a towering tree several times your height and you'll get like 40-50 carbon. Tiny mushroom the size of your fist? 80+ carbon!

Yeah this sounds accurate. The bug back last fall was sources giving you multiple hundreds if not thousands of carbon and oxygen. Trees and condensed carbon crystals would yield nearly a thousand per and the explodey oxygen plants would give you a couple hundred per pod you grabbed and another large three digit amount if you lasered them down. First time I saw it was on a paradise planet so I just figured it was some new buff, but no. Anywhere from 20-100 per thing mined sounds within the expected range for normal play though.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

TheWorldsaStage posted:

For your second thing, I had the exact same problem with the last reroll but restarting the game fixed it for me.

Same, but now my game keeps crashing

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I'm in the process of moving so my PS5 is packed right now but all I want to do is get some drat pets. Thanks NMS thread.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Slimy Hog posted:

I'm in the process of moving so my PS5 is packed right now but all I want to do is get some drat pets. Thanks NMS thread.

I hope you left airholes in the box. :ohdear:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

The_Doctor posted:

I hope you left airholes in the box. :ohdear:

Nonsense. We need an airhole-less control sample for the experiments! :pseudo:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Khablam posted:

Incredible lack of screenshots in these posts.
I'm playing on PS4 so I would need to grab it, transfer it to an external USB, then hook that up to my laptop and upload it. I can directly upload to YT though. Here's chonky boi doing some kind of disco move: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElNAXD7kNIA

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Thundarr posted:

They're rare but you can sometimes find mechanical animals on planets in uncharted/uninhabited systems.

Nobody has found Marilyn Manson yet though.

Yeah the planet even scanned as "Mechanical" from space.

Earwicker posted:

unfortunately some creatures seem to shrink on the anomaly. also they aren't really "there" they are like a holoprojection when on the anomaly

Yes, big bro becomes a cute little ghosty version of himself on the Anomaly.

My only complaint with this update is that I'm going to want way more than six creature slots. Just give us like a hundred so we can be some kind of messed up galactic zookeeper.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Kinda goes along with not having more storage than that for the ships on your freighter. I need to hop in and try out this new weird update soon.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I love my huge beautiful son.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 18, 2021

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
He's Pint-sized on the anomaly

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 18, 2021

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The best part about the XL pets, is if you run and stop, they'll do the same right behind you, overshoot and kick you flying forwards 10u.
All whilst claiming they're feeling playful. It makes you slightly annoyed and therefore less alone in space.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Khablam posted:

The best part about the XL pets, is if you run and stop, they'll do the same right behind you, overshoot and kick you flying forwards 10u.
All whilst claiming they're feeling playful. It makes you slightly annoyed and therefore less alone in space.

I must try this

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Can you make flying and aquatic creatures your pets?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Man I need to get catching some pets this weekend.

Does it strap that chestplate onto everything?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

marktheando posted:

Can you make flying and aquatic creatures your pets?

Pretty sure you can't do aquatics. I got right up on a couple and there was no interact prompt. I'm less sure about flying, but I don't think so. I managed to get pretty close to one without an interact prompt, and chucked some creature pellets at it to no effect.

Ghostlight posted:

Man I need to get catching some pets this weekend.

Does it strap that chestplate onto everything?

It does, but you can add different stuff to the chestplate like armor, satellite dish, canteen, etc, and customize the colors of that.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

I love my squiggly boi :3:

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
That is an adorable squiggly boy. :3: ... WITH METAL BONES! :black101:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Diephoon posted:

I love my squiggly boi :3:

That thing is awesome and I want one

It doesn't seem like we can tame the really weird poo poo on the anomaly planets, like the stuff that is just a moving bunch of pillars and the like. There's no interact if you get close to them. Funny thing, I threw a creature pellet at one and it stopped on top of it and then pooped awhile later, so I can feed the weird pile of pillars, but not tame it afterwards.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Apparently they're actually crabs and the first one I found has very different eyes and no claws.

Hit me up on steam @ Diephoon if ya'll want to tame one

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Well my large boi gave birth today. I took the egg to the Nexus and started putting random poo poo in the slots. I'm sure at some point the data freaks will have a complete list of what everything does, but milk in the first slot makes babby bigger, and a storm crystal in the last slot made it gentler. Random poo poo stuck in the middle two gave "unstable" results to anatomy and coloring. I can't wait to see what kind of huge, sweet, horrible entity hatches :magical:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

No, bad! What are you doing out there?

Get in here right now!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I got this giant sort of mech looking land crab

I don't know if it is because he is a predator type or because he is the first thing I companioned that has "flank" spots, but it let me mount a laser on him. So I guess this is my combat pet? Although something else attacked me and he just stood there and gawked at it.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I love the spectrum of the tone of the update. From "Hi new pet friend :swoon:" to gene alteration and animal experimentation to create things that should not be.

When my main companion laid an egg he said something like "Best friend take good care of egg for me?" and I was like "yeah, totally," and then I immediately went and jammed it in a genetic resequencer with a shitload of uranium and storm crystals. I am a monster

(edit) space weed makes you smaller and more gentle

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Feb 19, 2021

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Anyone know what the maximum height of a creature is? My dimetrodon is 4.1m, wonder how much bigger his child will be after I maxed out growth on his egg.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'

blarzgh posted:

I love my huge beautiful son.

It looks like he’s yelling your username.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Egg sequencer ingredients, according to reddit:

quote:

Additional notes:
Helpfulness Increase = Playfulness Decrease
Helpfulness Decrease = Playfulness Increase
Gentleness Increase = Aggressiveness Decrease
Gentleness Decrease = Aggressiveness Increase
Independence Increase = Devotion Decrease
Independence Decrease = Devotion Increase

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyT...utm_medium=mweb

Also it appears your companion will, after their timer is up, only produce an egg in their "natural environment" so you have to check what it is in the companion screen and travel to a world with those conditions to have them lay an egg.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Robert J. Omb posted:

It looks like he’s yelling your username.

Yes!