Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Bigsteve posted:

Updated now the game won't connect to the Internet. Firewall is letting it so who knows.

Good job asobo. Good job.

I think they were having server problems, I'm sure it'll be sorted out soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Steadiman posted:

I think they were having server problems, I'm sure it'll be sorted out soon

Have sorted it. When I first launched it did ask for firewall permissions which I gave it. But for some reason it only gave it to my local network not the Internet.

Still blaming asobo.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've been having a problem with landmarks not loading in until I'm almost on top of them. A few days ago I flew to Devil's tower, and it didn't show up in game at all until I was about 200 feet away from flying into the side of it. Last night after the update I flew over the Cliffs of Dover, and they were featureless green blobs until I was within a few hundred feet again. Not sure if there is a data or cache setting I'm missing, but this is making it much less fun to check out landmarks.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Someone made a very cool TBM mod, to make it handle more realistically, and apparently he figured out how to open doors and such. Turns out there's a lot of unused animations hanging around in the different plane files. I haven't tried it yet but he just released his updated mod to the public

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGBi_hny_Dg

Edit: Just tried it and it's really neat opening all the doors and seeing the adorably little ladder drop down! Hearing the engine come to life with an open door is surprisingly fun. Recommended!

Steadiman fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 18, 2021

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I use a 75% keyboard without a numberpad, what are some control schemes yall'd recommend to substitute?

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Head Bee Guy posted:

I use a 75% keyboard without a numberpad, what are some control schemes yall'd recommend to substitute?

:dogbutton:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

I use a split keyboard that doesn't have a numpad. It's super comfy, being able to separate the halves and have them line up with my shoulders properly.

That said, I bought a standalone numpad to keep next to it, because I am a baby and need a numpad when I'm doing spreadsheet bullshit.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Head Bee Guy posted:

A controller.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
This loving game needs to do something about those ridiculous loading times.

And god knows what it does to the whole system, because my desktop framerates go to poo poo when it sits at loading screens. --edit: Nevermind, this one is VRR getting broken to gently caress again by either Windows 21H1 or the drat NVidia driver.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 19, 2021

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Combat Pretzel posted:

This loving game needs to do something about those ridiculous loading times.

And god knows what it does to the whole system, because my desktop framerates go to poo poo when it sits at loading screens.

I think there might be a setting in the options to limit the framerate, and if there is, you should set it. Or there might be a setting in your graphics driver to limit an app. It's possible that while you're loading, it is maxing out your GPU to render the loading screen at 1000fps.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I'd suffer the loading times more gracefully if it didn't crash to desktop 50% of the time I switch into VR mode.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Pro-tip: Don't install the upcoming 21H1 update of Windows 10, I suspect it broke poo poo here. When the game runs at its usual crap framerate, it drags down the compositor now, too. >:[

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Boy i'm sure glad Windows doesn't let you opt out of updates unless you have Pro edition anymore! Really love being forced to break my system with a lovely "feature update"

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Shine posted:

That said, I bought a standalone numpad to keep next to it, because I am a baby and need a numpad when I'm doing spreadsheet bullshit.

thats not being a baby thats just normal

how the gently caress does anyone use a computer and not have a numberpad like wtf are you doing on there

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Goast posted:

how the gently caress does anyone use a computer and not have a numberpad like wtf are you doing on there
Let me tell you about these 60% keyboards where I don't know how the gently caress you can do anything productive with that poo poo.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

60% keyboards are super trendy right now and they’re fine if all you’ve ever used is a laptop, I guess. I’ll keep my numpad, thanks very much.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I guess if all you do is write blogs, a 60% keyboard is nice, but I use the arrow keys, function keys, and the 6 keys above the arrows all the time. I'm looking to get a TKL keyboard with a separate numpad I can put somewhere else when I don't need it. Mostly because I don't use the numpad all that often and I would like for my keyboard to be further to the right.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Also, I have the 100% version of this board and it’s awesome.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I guess if all you do is write blogs, a 60% keyboard is nice, but I use the arrow keys, function keys, and the 6 keys above the arrows all the time.
Even if you're writing blogs, unless you post any drivel unedited, you'll probably going to want/use the navigation keys to quickly select, then delete or copy-paste things.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
these keyboards are probably for people who have terminal vi brain

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Let me tell you about these 60% keyboards where I don't know how the gently caress you can do anything productive with that poo poo.

this is absolutely disgusting

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Sapozhnik posted:

these keyboards are probably for people who have terminal vi brain

Well, yeah — if you have GUI vi brain, there's just something wrong with you. :downsrim:

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I just hissed at this picture like a vampire

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Wait until you see 40% keyboards

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Lord Stimperor posted:

Wait until you see 40% keyboards

I had to see this, so do all of you.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

You brought this on yourself

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3856974&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
numbers aren;t real

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
I was just more appalled that people were using keyboards for flight sims let alone a smaller one. Yikes.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Does windows let you have two keyboards? Get some icon caps for that 40% board and start binding.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

FunOne posted:

Does windows let you have two keyboards? Get some icon caps for that 40% board and start binding.

Yeah I've got two keyboards plugged in.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

London looks pretty good. Did a short flight from Heathrow to London City Center on ultra. I find the car traffic is hilariously hauling rear end though, like pacing me at 100kts.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Re: keyboard chat, I adore mechanical keyboards. But especially the pretty ones usually come in smaller lay-outs, like 65% or leven less. That's a shame because I spend half my work in spread sheets and half my game time in simulators, where you want all the keys you can get. But I have a hard time looking boards like these and not finding them absolutely gorgeous. It's like fountain pens, a please to have and write on, but not made with usability in mind.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Dear God in Heaven...

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
In keeping with the thread title, the latest MSFS world update broke the physics model a bit and now flaps generate twice the amount of lift as intended: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/flight-dynamics-bug-details/368499

The official solution right now is to edit each plane's flight_model.cfg and divide the lift_coef_flaps or lift_scalar value by 2. Premium aircraft can't be fixed and Asobo currently plan to fix it properly with next month's sim update.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

What do you need the numpad for in flight sims? I don't remember ever touching the numpad in MSFS or IL-2 or anything.

Only time I use the numpad is if I need to walk diagonally when playing an old Sierra adventure.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

lobsterminator posted:

What do you need the numpad for in flight sims? I don't remember ever touching the numpad in MSFS or IL-2 or anything.

Only time I use the numpad is if I need to walk diagonally when playing an old Sierra adventure.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Feb 20, 2021

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

jammyozzy posted:

In keeping with the thread title, the latest MSFS world update broke the physics model a bit and now flaps generate twice the amount of lift as intended: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/flight-dynamics-bug-details/368499

The official solution right now is to edit each plane's flight_model.cfg and divide the lift_coef_flaps or lift_scalar value by 2. Premium aircraft can't be fixed and Asobo currently plan to fix it properly with next month's sim update.

Oh, this explains a lot. I tried using the 747 for the first time yesterday and it ballooned by something like 1000 ft the moment I put the first stage of flaps out. Was approaching practically on idle by the time they were all deployed.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

jammyozzy posted:

:ughh:

What an utterly useless and incompetent company.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 20, 2021

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I stand corrected. I'm not into modern fighters!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Perfect patch cycle to get a new graphics card lmao

Although I do kinda want to screw around a bit with the kit planes that were kites while the flaps were deployed even before a flaps bug.