Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

See, this is why we hate you, dude, you're (apparently) a successful lawyer, and you don't even tip!

I'm Glad Vin Vulpen Is loving Dead (a.k.a. Classic Kevin & Kell, September 13-17, 1999)

The last strip is a reference to The Blair Witch Project, a 1999 found-footage horror movie that is widely credited with reviving the genre; the plot involves three students hiking into the woods to find the Blair Witch and getting murdered in the process. As part of the marketing, the film's producers pretended that the main characters had actually been murdered in the woods, and that the film itself had been assembled from authentic footage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If Zits was smarter Jeremy would meet a penguin who'd go "actually really kind of a pain to walk like this, dude" and Jeremy would be like "oh man it actually must be, never thought about it really, my bad" and the penguin "we good" and they'd be buds.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

If Zits was smarter Jeremy would meet a penguin who'd go "actually really kind of a pain to walk like this, dude" and Jeremy would be like "oh man it actually must be, never thought about it really, my bad" and the penguin "we good" and they'd be buds.

Yeah. If the message of the week had been "sometimes people get attacked for saying things they think are obviously true; they can move past it by trying to understand why their words have hurt people" then it wouldn't have been an amazing week but people would probably have been okay with it. Instead the writer went for "sometimes people get attacked for saying things they think are obviously true; they're completely in the right and the rest of the world is unreasonably sensitive".

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if they will ruin Ben as a character or just forget he exists again.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Transmodiar posted:

Isn't the current owner of this strip Matthew Brock?

First place my mind went, too.

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 19, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 19, 1999)

Garfield Classic (June 19, 1989)

You, the reader, are now dead.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pastry of the Year posted:

You, the reader, are now dead.

finally

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
So like I said yesterday, the next part of Circus Windows doesn't start until Monday (and if you join Allison's patreon at the $3 level you get the complete comic as a pdf). However he did post this sketch on his twitter.

In Case of the Unwelcome Visitor we saw in a flashback that Lottie's father died in some sort of accident when she was about four years old, but the specifics were never discussed.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

:haw:

manero fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 19, 2021

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Howard Beale posted:

Oh, wow! This is the first I've heard of any FM&M comic strip/ad series and it looks like one of the rare radio adaptations which keeps the feel of the show's characters and dialogue (that ad where Jack Benny pulls one over on Mary was pretty dire). If the Jordans and/or Don Quinn didn't actually write this stuff I'd love to know which house writer could.

Of course there's a "Fibber McGee and Molly" expert on the forums.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

manero posted:

Nancy 1946

Yo I just want to say: holy poo poo you're doing a great job cleaning up these old cartoons' quality.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Hostile V posted:

Yo I just want to say: holy poo poo you're doing a great job cleaning up these old cartoons' quality.

Yeah, it's very good.

Moomin - Club life in Moominvalley

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I like to imagine that Ed's picture is hanging in the back of a lot of stores and restaurants in their town with the label, "Beware: Cantankerous old Boomer who never tips". It's a wonder anyone wants to serve him at all.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Mikl posted:

I'm Glad Vin Vulpen Is loving Dead (a.k.a. Classic Kevin & Kell, September 13-17, 1999)

This really just makes me feel sorry for Vin Vulpen. Sure he may have done bad things, but even his family didn't want him around? If he wasn't so unsubtly coded as evil I might be inclined to think he was trying to kill himself when the birds rescued him, given that he had nothing to live for and in fact had been scheming against the rest of the team because he'd lost everything.

goatface posted:

I wonder if they will ruin Ben as a character or just forget he exists again.

Ben just feels horribly off to me because he doesn't seem to exist for any reason except to validate Bernice. Which is kind of messed up. She's the one who got to have the parents growing up while they just ditched him. You'd think he'd be maybe slightly resentful but instead he's insanely tolerant of her terrible attitude despite being one of the few characters to have a reason not to tolerate it since he barely even knows her.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

manero posted:

Nancy 1946

This chicken clearly can not operate that bicycle.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Is Mark just realizing he hasn't seen his mother yet?

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space GUy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Zorro

Reply All

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It kinda comes off as a bit less mean-spirited now, doesn't it? Not that it was ever as vitriolic as Dustin or OBH but now it feels like the whole thing might not have come from any worse place than, writers went looking for "a thing that happens to young people today" to build an arc around, came across "getting cancelled" and set up the situation with really tone-deaf specifics.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

So, " Fastrack Inc" is just a NSA/CIA front?

Because NO business, not even the poo poo that controls Wall Street, is THAT protected.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Hostile V posted:

Thanks! Most of the work has already been done, they are flawless in the Fantagraphics Nancy books, which is my source. I'm just making the scans not look like poop.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Everyone getting a burr up their butt over the current Zits storyline really needs to just chill out.

Modesty Blaise

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

Johnny Aztec posted:

So, " Fastrack Inc" is just a NSA/CIA front?

Because NO business, not even the poo poo that controls Wall Street, is THAT protected.

The Protonmail/ProtonVPN people have exactly that. Their main datacenter in Attinghausen is 1000 meters underground; it was originally built as a fallout shelter for the Swiss Army.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

:arghfist:

:colbert: Pretty sure you'd need a hoity toity custom case to get one that's mirrored, so that the right-hand side is glass, and can let the RGB leak out that way.
(Also unless your pc is doing work overnight, like renders and etc, turn the thing off. Atleast put it to sleep.)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (August 1, 1933)

Peanuts (February 22, 1974)

Harry Dinklebean

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane, in which our secret fetish today is "naked earlobes".

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater, in which Pappy has trouble picking a drat lane. (September 21, 1937)

Out Our Way (February 20-22, 1936)

Toonerville Folks (September 27, 30 and 31 (28 in other papers), 1917)

Dok's "O'er The Ramparts We Watched" Duck (June 18, 1913)

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I really, really like Toonerville Folks!

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Johnny Walker posted:

Mark Trail

Is Mark just realizing he hasn't seen his mother yet?

so Mark went apeshit and definitely killed a bunch of people over the possibility that his dad's new boat might at some point accidentally hurt an animal, but is just chill with the room full of endangered animals his dad deliberately killed for fun?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Some Guy TT posted:

Ben just feels horribly off to me because he doesn't seem to exist for any reason except to validate Bernice. Which is kind of messed up. She's the one who got to have the parents growing up while they just ditched him. You'd think he'd be maybe slightly resentful but instead he's insanely tolerant of her terrible attitude despite being one of the few characters to have a reason not to tolerate it since he barely even knows her.

so many of the characters in Luann are written like NPCs, existing only to guide the main characters through the weakass plots, and then vanishing once they move on to a new quest. They require no consistency and no inner lives, just filling in the gaps around the dreadful core cast so that no one ever has to change the status quo.

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

this comic just pulls me apart

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

SubNat posted:

:arghfist:

:colbert: Pretty sure you'd need a hoity toity custom case to get one that's mirrored, so that the right-hand side is glass, and can let the RGB leak out that way.
(Also unless your pc is doing work overnight, like renders and etc, turn the thing off. Atleast put it to sleep.)

quote:

so Mark went apeshit and definitely killed a bunch of people over the possibility that his dad's new boat might at some point accidentally hurt an animal, but is just chill with the room full of endangered animals his dad deliberately killed for fun?

God, it sucks that these sub-Cinema Sins takes are what passes for humor on this site now.

Nitpicking inconsistencies =/= funny, goons, especially in a medium like comics where plots move at a snail’s pace but you’re looking for some instant plot gratification.

I’d even take Lowtax and FYAD edgelord jokes over this :actually: nonsense any day.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

I see your little petrified crabs, labeled and resting on a shelf somewhere.

Technowolf posted:

Worst Cul-De-Sac ever

Figures, the one time I don't double-check my post.

Actual Cul De Sac

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Gatto Grigio posted:

God, it sucks that these sub-Cinema Sins takes are what passes for humor on this site now.

Nitpicking inconsistencies =/= funny, goons, especially in a medium like comics where plots move at a snail’s pace but you’re looking for some instant plot gratification.

I’d even take Lowtax and FYAD edgelord jokes over this :actually: nonsense any day.

When I see jokes I don't think are funny I simply move on instead of talking about how I miss having a serially-abusive bigot around

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

Oof oof oof

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Gatto Grigio posted:

I’d even take FYAD edgelord jokes over this :actually: nonsense any day.

Then this is your moment! Your calling! Make a newspaper comics thread in FYAD!

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

dordreff posted:

I seriously doubt the author is going in this direction, but managed and regulated hunting is a huge part of conservation programs. Both because it is necessary to control population numbers in the shrunken habitats, and also because they charge enormous amounts of money for each hunt that provides a great deal of conservation organization funding.

https://www.iucn.org/commissions/co...life-management

Meanwhile, the kind of damage careless recreational sport can do is pure damage - there is no collective benefit, and no money going to useful ends .

There is debate about both points, but the attitude you are extrapolating from the comic so far is not inherently a contradiction.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
^watermelon lumberjack just looks so pleased :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

All this beating around the bush. At this point just say, "You and Luann got a thing?" You're most of the way there at this point anyway.

And Jack is being so clueless here. If Team Evans hadn't already explicitly shown him hitting on girls, I'd wonder if they were trying to code him as gay.