Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

That's underselling the Kohm, too - it's a neat design that ramps up the number of pellets per shot (and the fire speed) over the first few shells, for a shotgun that encourages sustained fire.
Hm. Could go reacquaint myself with my Warframe arsenal and see what's "cool ideas that would work in Destiny's design space".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

SkyeAuroline posted:

Hm. Could go reacquaint myself with my Warframe arsenal and see what's "cool ideas that would work in Destiny's design space".
Part of the problem is that Destiny is insistent on maintaining the same experience between PvP and PvE.

So whereas in Warframe you can have a gun like the Amprex or Arca Plasmor, where you point it in a direction and everything is instantly stripped of its damage resistence and then mulched into a fine paste, that kind of stuff would be drat near impossible to balance for Crucible. In WF it doesn't matter because you're on the same team as the person shooting it, you all benefit.

One of the things you can ge away with is AoE effects and effects that spread to other enemies on kill like Dragonfly, since you're unlikely to come across players clustering together, and if you do they kind of deserve whatever they get.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Picked up the hand cannon from Xur and wow it's fun as hell.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Part of the problem is that Destiny is insistent on maintaining the same experience between PvP and PvE.

So whereas in Warframe you can have a gun like the Amprex or Arca Plasmor, where you point it in a direction and everything is instantly stripped of its damage resistence and then mulched into a fine paste, that kind of stuff would be drat near impossible to balance for Crucible. In WF it doesn't matter because you're on the same team as the person shooting it, you all benefit.

One of the things you can ge away with is AoE effects and effects that spread to other enemies on kill like Dragonfly, since you're unlikely to come across players clustering together, and if you do they kind of deserve whatever they get.

Funny enough, the Arca Plasmor is one of the first things I'd go to as a Destiny gun - "slug shotgun" with a much larger hitbox in exchange for other drawbacks (maybe the original-AP thing of "no headshots", in this case no precision shots?). Kuva Quartakk would also sit right at the top of my list since "different fire mode on aim" is an established exotic mechanic.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
This season pass is going so quickly - I hope there is some more story style stuff coming as I really enjoy lore in games and the levels of sass coming from Crow towards Saladin is great. I just finished Disco Elysium so now I need something else to help scratch a deep story itch. Suggestions very welcome.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ClydeFrog posted:

Suggestions very welcome.
I mean Destiny 1 is still there, has a ton of content and no stasis in PvP. If you can accept that there's no mantling, it's still fun and there's a bucketload of Destiny universe lore.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ClydeFrog posted:

This season pass is going so quickly - I hope there is some more story style stuff coming as I really enjoy lore in games and the levels of sass coming from Crow towards Saladin is great. I just finished Disco Elysium so now I need something else to help scratch a deep story itch. Suggestions very welcome.

Story in Destiny is somewhat like story in Dark Souls: the stuff playing out on screen is by far the least interesting part of the overall story. It doesn't help that the writing for base D2 was rather cringey and there are still bits and pieces of that floating about.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

ClydeFrog posted:

Suggestions very welcome.
If you like Destiny lore, you need to use a 3rd Party app:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mbDXvDNqTU

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

ClydeFrog posted:

Cyberpunk 2077 is good for 100+ hours of solid storycraft. Also Baldur’s Gate 3 if you’re into swords.

Edit: I almost forgot The Outer Worlds. Very cool and good storytelling.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

ClydeFrog posted:

Do the Presage mission to get Dead Man's Tale and then be impatient and read all the datamined lore at once: https://www.ishtar-collective.net/categories/book-captains-log

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

XBenedict posted:

Cyberpunk 2077 is good for 100+ hours of solid storycraft. Also Baldur’s Gate 3 if you’re into swords.

Edit: I almost forgot The Outer Worlds. Very cool and good storytelling.

I was going to criticize you for recommending a buggy mess of a game that released before it was ready, but this is the destiny thread, so, glass houses and what not.

ClydeFrog posted:

Are you looking for more stuff in a similar style to Destiny in the sense that there's like, a bunch of deep lore you gotta youtube/wiki dive for? Or like, do you just want a game with a good story? For the latter, I have zero experience with it, but I've been seeing a lot of raving for 13 Sentinels, but I think it PlayStation exclusive.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

ClydeFrog posted:

Pretty much anything from Supergiant is a solid bet. Bastion, Transistor, and HADES are all absolutely stellar games with amazing stories.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
This thread:

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

McLarenF1 posted:

This thread:

Business as usual.
Anywhere worth checking for what exotics are "good"? Building up a collection and I like using most all of them, but still figuring out what to sink time into chasing catalysts/etc for.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
All things are a mix of good and bad hth

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Fair enough.
So far I'm enjoying:
  • Ticuu's
  • Armamentarium & Actium War Rig (alternating)
  • Lion Rampant (mostly with Ticuu's so far)
  • Crimson
  • Telesto
  • Riskrunner
  • Stompees
Not so much:
  • Dunemarchers (bugged, so justified)
  • Wormgod Caress
  • Graviton Lance & Hard Light (grouped because same reason - just don't do much useful that regular legendaries don't for me)
  • Sunbracers (I don't use solar tree much)
  • Wardcliff Coil (meh)
Haven't touched:
  • Young Ahamkara Spine
  • Jade Rabbit (right before I posted)
  • Duality
Probably hate something that's secretly great and love something that's secretly terrible, but that's okay!

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

SkyeAuroline posted:

Business as usual.
Anywhere worth checking for what exotics are "good"? Building up a collection and I like using most all of them, but still figuring out what to sink time into chasing catalysts/etc for.

Trinity Ghoul gets the 'most improved' award once you slap the catalyst on it.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Probably hate something that's secretly great and love something that's secretly terrible, but that's okay!

not as much
  • dunemarchers is mostly useful for the increased sprint speed and has a secondary gimmick build with the mid tree solar's throwing hammer. if you're not interested in either of those, then it's not really useful
  • wormgod caress is really great if you punch a lot, but the more you play the less you're going to be punching constantly. it'd be a lot loving better if it gave stacks on hit or stacks on any kill, not just melee kills
  • gravlance is very much love it or hate it weapon
  • hard light is a utility weapon, you take it if you're scared of match game and don't want to use borealis for some reason (most common reasons being famine modifier or just not liking snipers). it's also very good in pvp if you're a fan of 600 rpm autos
  • sunbracers are very playstyle dependent. they're great when they work for you, but if you don't work for them, then they're not gonna work for you
  • wardcliff coil is insanely good for getting kills in pvp and might be a meta DPS option since rocket launchers got buffed? but there's nothing wrong with not liking it, exotic heavies can be funky like that

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Kith posted:

not as much
  • dunemarchers is mostly useful for the increased sprint speed and has a secondary gimmick build with the mid tree solar's throwing hammer. if you're not interested in either of those, then it's not really useful
  • wormgod caress is really great if you punch a lot, but the more you play the less you're going to be punching constantly. it'd be a lot loving better if it gave stacks on hit or stacks on any kill, not just melee kills
  • gravlance is very much love it or hate it weapon
  • hard light is a utility weapon, you take it if you're scared of match game and don't want to use borealis for some reason (most common reasons being famine modifier or just not liking snipers). it's also very good in pvp if you're a fan of 600 rpm autos
  • sunbracers are very playstyle dependent. they're great when they work for you, but if you don't work for them, then they're not gonna work for you
  • wardcliff coil is insanely good for getting kills in pvp and might be a meta DPS option since rocket launchers got buffed? but there's nothing wrong with not liking it, exotic heavies can be funky like that

I mostly play mid solar Titan, top solar Hunter, and one of the void warlock trees (don't remember which, haven't played since new season) for context. Dune and Wormgod both didn't seem to work with the thrown hammer, though maybe the former has been fixed? Wardcliff for PVP makes sense, and since I mostly do Gambit for PVP it pulls nice double duty for clearing groups; I've just been disappointed in its performance against single large targets in PVE and that's what I'd use rockets for normally. Got a very good Falling Guillotine roll that's been sitting in that slot to let me use exotics elsewhere.
Insight's appreciated!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Sunbracers' time to shine is using top tree in strikes with either grenadier or brawler active, obviously best with solar singe. Nuking whole encounters from above with a field of giant solar spheres is extremely satisfying, and if done right you'll still have your grenade and melee abilities fully charged once you're done. Top tree dawnblade's melee is extremely useful in general, and aerial kills will refund a huge chunk of energy.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Wormgod has always worked with the hammer, that's where all those clips of people just doming entire teams with the same hammer come from.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Good to know, I'll have to revisit it once I've got more time to spread around my characters. Nerve/muscle issues in my hands have been getting worse so I only get an hour or two a day to sink in now, I've been almost exclusively playing the Titan since she's highest LL with most of my exotic stockpile. also because the armor just keeps getting weirder for her while the other two can't get a consistent look

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Paracelsus posted:

Sunbracers' time to shine is using top tree in strikes with either grenadier or brawler active, obviously best with solar singe. Nuking whole encounters from above with a field of giant solar spheres is extremely satisfying, and if done right you'll still have your grenade and melee abilities fully charged once you're done. Top tree dawnblade's melee is extremely useful in general, and aerial kills will refund a huge chunk of energy.

you don't even need brawler or grenadier. It's my go-to for gambit matches, you can clear groups insanely quickly, and with ashes to assets (x2) you can get super up crazy fast.

It does fall apart if you get paired with actually good teammates who scoop the kills, or the mob composition is all beefy boys who don't die to grenades though

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

the moral of the story is that exotic equipment is a land of contrasts

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Mazerunner posted:

you don't even need brawler or grenadier. It's my go-to for gambit matches, you can clear groups insanely quickly, and with ashes to assets (x2) you can get super up crazy fast.

It does fall apart if you get paired with actually good teammates who scoop the kills, or the mob composition is all beefy boys who don't die to grenades though

Or worse, beefy boys who don't die to the first melee attack. One of the annoying parts of Gambit is how many of the enemies are beefy enough that add clear strategies can't fire off.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Mazerunner posted:

Sunbracers definitely falls apart in gambit if your teammate finishes your kills off, or if the enemy randomly teleports away from the top tree melee attack.

I did have a serendipitous moment where a 3-stack I was paired with saw what I was doing and let me get my grenade chain going. Ended that match with 77 combatants killed, and we won handily.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Oof, the pvp population numbers are down about 50% compared to 2nd season of year 3

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Oof, the pvp population numbers are down about 50% compared to 2nd season of year 3

For PC specifically, or including consoles? PC has a way bigger hacking problem.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

But I bet the Gambit & Strike population have exploded in comparison! I like the absurdity of PvP players abandoning Crucible as they try to farm god rolls on the activity-specific weapons.

What are you using for historical comparison? I know Warmind.io has the 'current activity snapshot' and steamdb.io can show historical data for concurrent user, but it'd be cool to look for activity-specific trends over time.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Discospawn posted:

But I bet the Gambit & Strike population have exploded in comparison!
recent quest steps have been "kill x guardians" instead of "kill x guardians in the crucible"

I'd rather mess around in gambit and fire off Truth a bunch of times than go into crucible to do those, even though it probably takes longer

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Discospawn posted:

I like the absurdity of PvP players abandoning Crucible as they try to farm god rolls on the activity-specific weapons.
Speaking of, I see constant posts about how low the Bottom Dollar drop rate is as I swim in a small sea of them. What am I looking for?

Roman posted:

recent quest steps have been "kill x guardians" instead of "kill x guardians in the crucible"

I'd rather mess around in gambit and fire off Truth a bunch of times than go into crucible to do those, even though it probably takes longer
Agreed, enough initial bad times with Crucible that I'd just rather do Gambit; even if it's slower I have more fun.

edit: speaking of gambit, Drifter quit your poo poo

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 21, 2021

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Are you looking for more stuff in a similar style to Destiny in the sense that there's like, a bunch of deep lore you gotta youtube/wiki dive for? Or like, do you just want a game with a good story? For the latter, I have zero experience with it, but I've been seeing a lot of raving for 13 Sentinels, but I think it PlayStation exclusive.

I've enjoyed listening to some of the podcasts where the lore is read out as I rattle about at home. I've become somewhat averse to silence so filling my head with tales of melodramatic space wizardry has been soothing.

I wish they wouldn't parcel it out so meanly by having to collect scraps of it here and there. It feels thinly smeared across the top. My fave parts of the game are definitely when I feel caught up in something. I played the crap out of Baldurs Gate etc and games like Half Life and FFVII had story beats in them that I still remember making me go "oh holy poo poo" at the time. Disco Elysium was also extremely impactful at moments. And ofc sometimes I just want to shoot a thing so I play Black Ops and giggle when I'm exhorted to "make the CIA proud". I get that not every game is going to be world changing, but with such a great backstory it's a shame some of it feels shallow.

Some good suggestions from others as well, thank you (gonna check BG3). I went and got the scout rifle. It is absolutely gorgeous, I'm going back tomorrow to get a proper roll on it and now I'm going to go read that lore.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ClydeFrog posted:

I've enjoyed listening to some of the podcasts where the lore is read out as I rattle about at home. I've become somewhat averse to silence so filling my head with tales of melodramatic space wizardry has been soothing.
My Name is BYF would be a great one if he launched some of his lore videos in podcast form, but he hasn't as far as I'm aware. They'd probably work better in podcast form as well, given that it's usually just him reading things out in his lovely voice.

You could load them in youtube and listen to them that way but then you have to keep fiddling about with keeping the screen on or pay for youtube premium.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

ClydeFrog posted:

May I humbly recommend The Four-Part Novel Series Baru Cormorant?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Major server issues atm, I've seen reports of power outages near Bungo HQ.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Paracelsus posted:

Major server issues atm, I've seen reports of power outages near Bungo HQ.

I'm "near Bungo HQ". There is no power outage, the servers are just hosed.

The Puget Sound Energy map showing an outage that's making the rounds on twitter is clearly dated "2/18/2021" fwiw

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Feb 21, 2021

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

SkyeAuroline posted:

[*] Graviton Lance & Hard Light (grouped because same reason - just don't do much useful that regular legendaries don't for me)

Both good PvE weapons. Grav is super on a voidlock build with Nezerac’s Sin and scatter grenades.

Hard Light is good in certain situations, like nightfalls for example, where you might encounter enemy shields of varying element type. You are a Supercunt if you use it in PvP and will be rightly disowned by the community. With the catalyst it essentially becomes a trace rifle.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Hard Light hasn't been good in PvP for like two maybe three seasons, no one cares if you use it now.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

yeah IIRC they changed the lore on Hard Light to coincide with damage dropoff nerf.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

My Name is BYF would be a great one if he launched some of his lore videos in podcast form, but he hasn't as far as I'm aware. They'd probably work better in podcast form as well, given that it's usually just him reading things out in his lovely voice.

You could load them in youtube and listen to them that way but then you have to keep fiddling about with keeping the screen on or pay for youtube premium.

I do love those even if he occasionally gets his intonations and emphasis a little arse about face. I hadn't realised he'd done so many on YouTube so thank you. Does anyone know why the ones on Spotify now just say "I'm sorry these weren't my videos?"

Baru number one made me quite heartsick for a while. Not read the others yet. Battuta pretty please write Destiny Books because your lore is *chef's kiss* and is an amazing part of the game.

Doing scout rifle again today - super recommend Dead Space Destiny

ClydeFrog fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Feb 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Shooting people behind cover with hardlight ricochets is just the best.