Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I picked this game up at a discount a while ago, and 160+ hours later here I am.

I can't stop restarting to redo my builds better and figure out my intent rather then just blindly regurgitating someone else's built type, but the new patch that added those small starting patches really mess things up.

This latest play I am being a bit more intelligent with belts, because I think mkiii everywhere is a bit detrimental for some production lines, and expensive until you set up massive production lines for super magnets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Do I need to go to another planet (still on starting planet) to reliably make yellow science? I tried flying to another planet but got horribly off course, so I'll have to keep practicing at it I see :).

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Mayveena posted:

Do I need to go to another planet (still on starting planet) to reliably make yellow science? I tried flying to another planet but got horribly off course, so I'll have to keep practicing at it I see :).

Yes, you can't get titanium on your starting world, which you'll need for yellow science. Flying to another planet becomes much easier when you realise that all you have to do is put the reticle over the planet and hold shift and W.

e: take fuel

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
Protip: when building elevated conveyer belts over existing ones, hold shift to force the game to stop trying to link the belt you're constructing with the belt underneath.

Cuts down massively on frustration.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
So me, an absolute genius, did not pay attention to the order of research. I built a *fantastic* green science planet - everything is neat, clean, organized, and easily able to be scaled to 30 science per second if I ever wanted. It took me 16 hours over four nights, including multi-warper trips back to my starter system to stock back up periodically.

In the meantime, I've got a collection of assemblers on my dying starter world slowly cranking out the fiber to make purple science because I didn't realize I still need about 3000 purple science to get the things I want unlocked. Goddamnit.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I slow boat flew 3 light years to another system, and this ice world has great stuff and looks beautiful, but I didn't bring much stuff with me lol. Not sure how much I'm willing to do before I fly back but it was interesting flying all that way.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Does Dyson Swarm Orbit matter for the sphere collecting them?

Sometimes they just sit in orbit and don't get collected when I have 400k more to fill. Do I need to make one vertical?

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Athanatos posted:

Sometimes they just sit in orbit and don't get collected when I have 400k more to fill. Do I need to make one vertical?

There's a limit to how many sails can be pulled in at a time per docking port. If your sphere still has some junction ports that haven't been built yet you can increase the rocket production to help catch up.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

zeekner posted:

There's a limit to how many sails can be pulled in at a time per docking port. If your sphere still has some junction ports that haven't been built yet you can increase the rocket production to help catch up.

Oh no, where is my "Pause All" button for shooting sails!

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

scribe jones posted:

think I’m done with this for now, anything with a similar vibe I should check out? I have looked at factorio and it seems way too brown so don’t say that please

- Factorio (sorry) is the originator of the "genre" and the 3rd highest rated game on Steam for good reasons. It's DSPs game mechanics, but polished over 10 years and with a dizzying array of excellent mods. If you liked DSP at all you should absolutely try Factorio, it's the best game of the last decade. It is way too brown and grungy, though.
- Satisfactory is factorybelting but in first person. Building anything is deliberate, and you're expected to spend at least as much time exploring the hand-crafted island as you are making a factory. It is very pretty and much slower paced than any of the others, you basically have to treat it as a 200-hour industrial bonsai exercise.
- Mindustry is the indie tower defense alternative. It's less focused on the factory logistics puzzle and more on wave defense in a series of connected levels. Not really my cup of tea, but some people really like it. Has a reportedly very robust rts pvp mode if that's your jam.
- Shapes.io is the abstract version, where you cut, rotate and color geometric shapes into more complex geometric shapes. It's neat, but dry.
- Oxygen Not Included is the terrarium ant farm alternative. It's admittedly more rimworld/dwarf fortress with only a little bit of pure automation stuff but it is, like DSP, very space. The gameplay is more about directing manpower than automating industry, especially early on, but it also has a lot of resource balancing and factory puzzling. I love Klei's art style, but not everyone does.

Kagrenac
Jan 14, 2017

Athanatos posted:

It doesn't matter afaik but nodes are capped at a pretty low rate of sail absorption and only accept sails for the portion of the sphere they are responsible for. Large sphere's with max distance nodes take forever to fill and there isn't any way to speed it up other than changing your design to have more nodes and planning the entire thing at once so it is all under construction simultaneously.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Now i'm at the point where i'm just waiting on my dyson sphere to build i can't help but think something that would be good to add is some more interim goals.

Its like once you unlock the ability to make rockets, you're pretty much done and you're left trying to scale up parts of your output to keep it flowing at a steady rate.

Instead it would be cool to have things like establish a colony of x or y thing which by the time of completing that goal, leads to the stabilisation of a particular resource required for the sphere.

It would maybe be a bit hand holdey but it would break up a bit of the monotony that sinks in towards the end.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

OGS-Remix posted:

I think that's it, I was routing the cubes to different labs since I figured it just counted cubes. I didn't realize you have to put them both into the same lab.

Also, and this is a really weird quirk I've found in the game, but if you have the box checked for "Use inventory items" for research, it'll hide them in your inventory but they won't be used if you have research labs running. So if you end up with like 4 or 10 in the research counter in the upper left that just won't go away uncheck that box and then when you can see the cubes again toss them into a research lab. For the longest time I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't use them and that's why.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Kin posted:

Now i'm at the point where i'm just waiting on my dyson sphere to build i can't help but think something that would be good to add is some more interim goals.

Its like once you unlock the ability to make rockets, you're pretty much done and you're left trying to scale up parts of your output to keep it flowing at a steady rate.

Instead it would be cool to have things like establish a colony of x or y thing which by the time of completing that goal, leads to the stabilisation of a particular resource required for the sphere.

It would maybe be a bit hand holdey but it would break up a bit of the monotony that sinks in towards the end.

Yeah, early access but the road map is cool. I think it's better to start the sphere earlier to get power to your world quicker... Then ramp up production and start building a bunch of them

Or so I thought, I keep restarting to play better

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Got interplanetary logistics, set up a mining/smelting planet and utterly demolished every strand of spaghetti on the homeworld, and it feels so good. Sorted every item into its own large chest unggggg.

How do you guys set up your storage? One challenge is literally getting a good camera angle to see a chest, so I went with pillars of four chests arranged in a checkerboard pattern, which works alright but is pretty sprawly.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

zoux posted:

Got interplanetary logistics, set up a mining/smelting planet and utterly demolished every strand of spaghetti on the homeworld, and it feels so good. Sorted every item into its own large chest unggggg.

How do you guys set up your storage? One challenge is literally getting a good camera angle to see a chest, so I went with pillars of four chests arranged in a checkerboard pattern, which works alright but is pretty sprawly.

I use logistics towers as chests (once I get them obvi)

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

zoux posted:

Just don't be like me.

I thought I was being smart but it compounded the spaghetti problem way more. :negative:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Logi towers are chests you can access from anywhere on the planet

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's not what the towers are for!

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

zoux posted:

Logi towers are those things that you build them initially for one specific purpose, but as you go on slowly realize they obsolete a LOT of your prior solutions to various production problems.

Case in point: I spent way too much time pre-logi making belt balancers for ore input when logi towers can just Do That automatically.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

zoux posted:

Excuse me, I think you’ll find “temporary storage and buffering” firmly planted in the realm of “logistics”. Furthermore ...

I’m at a point in this game where I’m sucking planets (multiple) dry of iron just to make sails and rockets. Haven’t launched any yet, so it could be I’m overbuilding a bit.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Fractionators?
Fractionators.

needs more log towers refilling the hydrogen. tried two or three different ways to get the deuterium out fast enough lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The scale of this game is ridiculous.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I slow sailed all the way to a new system, it had 2 planets and they didn't have any oil. So I flew 40 min back home. :(

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

LifeSunDeath posted:

I slow sailed all the way to a new system, it had 2 planets and they didn't have any oil. So I flew 40 min back home. :(

This is why you save before leaving.

I need to start actually building my dyson sphere so I can start making antimatter for white cubes and oh lord there is so much I need to do it's kind of daunting.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

IcePhoenix posted:

I need to start actually building my dyson sphere so I can start making antimatter for white cubes and oh lord there is so much I need to do it's kind of daunting.

I'm at the same place. So many things to scale up.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
I've tried a few different fractionator designs. This one is my favorite aesthetically

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Phssthpok posted:

I've tried a few different fractionator designs. This one is my favorite aesthetically

That's awesome and reminds me of a viking rune or something.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

IcePhoenix posted:

This is why you save before leaving.

Went to the rear end end of the cluster to Dyson sphere the O star. Shot a ton of solar sails and got up to 2 GW of potential generation.

Except Fire Ice also generates hydrogen and oh no I'm not getting my Rocket production up fast enough so the hydrogen backup is stopping the graphene production for the sails and now the swarm is slowly dying aaaaah.

And I'm ideologically opposed to buffers which is why I'm not just building tanks to store the hydrogen. Materials should be burned as they are obtained so production issues quickly become apparent, drat it! :argh:

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

Went to the rear end end of the cluster to Dyson sphere the O star. Shot a ton of solar sails and got up to 2 GW of potential generation.

Except Fire Ice also generates hydrogen and oh no I'm not getting my Rocket production up fast enough so the hydrogen backup is stopping the graphene production for the sails and now the swarm is slowly dying aaaaah.

And I'm ideologically opposed to buffers which is why I'm not just building tanks to store the hydrogen. Materials should be burned as they are obtained so production issues quickly become apparent, drat it! :argh:

Throw some fractionators on that loop and make the deuterium rods locally for the rockets.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Shipon posted:

Throw some fractionators on that loop and make the deuterium rods locally for the rockets.

I did! Too bad the rest of the rocket production chain isn't anywhere close to done so the deuterium rods are backed up too now!

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
The description for the ionosphere tech mentions that the planet needs an atmosphere to work, but is that just fluff? They seem to work even without an atmosphere. Or is it a bug?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

If your mall isn't a series of interstellar logi towers you're doing it wrong. I avoided it forever because I didn't feel the need to ship infrastructure around... but now I realized it's like having Amazon prime for DSP. Just plop down an empty tower wherever you are, set the items and max quantities to your "order" and bam, your mall comes to you. Soon as the ships arrive you can delete the tower to hoover up the contents.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Yeah, but ~35 ly out from my manufacturing planet, I just leave the towers and take what I need rather than wait five minutes for my latest 3000 pack of belts to arrive every time I run out.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Jarmak posted:

If your mall isn't a series of interstellar logi towers you're doing it wrong. I avoided it forever because I didn't feel the need to ship infrastructure around... but now I realized it's like having Amazon prime for DSP. Just plop down an empty tower wherever you are, set the items and max quantities to your "order" and bam, your mall comes to you. Soon as the ships arrive you can delete the tower to hoover up the contents.

I've seen some people abandon the regular logistics towers when they get to the interstellar ones, but I still find the planetary ones useful. You can pack them closer together!

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Yeah, planetary is fine for stuff that stays on planet in the production chain and needs only two or three components, or ore mining outposts that ship off to an interstellar hub.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Smiling Demon posted:

I've seen some people abandon the regular logistics towers when they get to the interstellar ones, but I still find the planetary ones useful. You can pack them closer together!

Oh no I use planetary towers all over the place, I just meant being able to FedEx in new belts wherever I am is amazing.

Edit: I haven't used it this way yet but I also set up mirrored towers on demand so that if I ship to much in I can just flip the tower to supply and send it back.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 21, 2021

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

negativeneil posted:

Protip: when building elevated conveyer belts over existing ones, hold shift to force the game to stop trying to link the belt you're constructing with the belt underneath.

Cuts down massively on frustration.

You can also hold shift to mass upgrade belts, and mass delete belts.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Travic posted:

The description for the ionosphere tech mentions that the planet needs an atmosphere to work, but is that just fluff? They seem to work even without an atmosphere. Or is it a bug?

It's just fluff.

Add green eggs to make the dyson dishes into super-receivers, gently caress the Atmosphere!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Are we sharing fractionator setups?

This can be scaled pretty easily by just adding rings, though atm I don't need anywhere near this much deuterium (in fact it's not even running at full capacity because I need more hydrogen).