Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
All those stats don't change the fact that they'll charge into some chaff unit from behind and still get bogged down, getting stuck in the melee and taking a bunch of casualties trying to withdraw, unless you've got the cycle charge micro nailed down to a tee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And latest rumor mill:

Zacharias the Everliving been tentatively approved for a future Vampire Counts LL, likely to be based in the Darklands.

Gorthor the Beastlord and Ghorros Warhoof have been approved as future Beastmen LLs. Moonclaw is on CA's radar, but they're thinking more a legendary hero or a Green Knight style mechanic as part of a major overhaul of Beastmen that CA intends to do, but is likely to wait until after TW3's release.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Cythereal posted:

And latest rumor mill:

Zacharias the Everliving been tentatively approved for a future Vampire Counts LL, likely to be based in the Darklands.

Gorthor the Beastlord and Ghorros Warhoof have been approved as future Beastmen LLs. Moonclaw is on CA's radar, but they're thinking more a legendary hero or a Green Knight style mechanic as part of a major overhaul of Beastmen that CA intends to do, but is likely to wait until after TW3's release.

This guy still hasn't "leaked" the WH2 DLC, right? I'm curious as to whether it would match with my thinking, which is DE lord vs. either a VC or Dawi, with Neferata as the FLC.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

orangelex44 posted:

This guy still hasn't "leaked" the WH2 DLC, right? I'm curious as to whether it would match with my thinking, which is DE lord vs. either a VC or Dawi, with Neferata as the FLC.

I dunno. This guy says that he sees and hears stuff going back and forth between CA and GW, since GW still needs to sign off on just about everything CA does. The WH2 DLC is already effectively done from that standpoint.

All he's said is that he wouldn't be surprised if Bretonnia, Vampire Counts, Tomb Kings, or Beastmen are the DLC since CA's been eyeing all four for an overhaul.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

No brass bull eh

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

albany academy posted:

No brass bull eh

I've mentioned it before - he says Taurox was approved a week or two ago.

Supposedly, CA has Beastmen at the front of the line for a major rework but it's not clear at the moment how much is going to be part of TW3's launch with the general Chaos changes and how much will have to wait until after launch. He's said that Tomb Kings are right behind the Beastmen in line for some kind of revamp or overhaul, CA is supposedly pretty happy with the state of the faction but feels like they've been largely ignored since they were launched and want to give them some love.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
Gorthor wouldn't be the first LL who should be dead by the time the game takes place in the canon proper, but I really hope that particular rumor is false regardless. I don't want another Gor LL, it should be Taurox or bust (though Mixu adds him and Warhoof already, the models leave a bit to be desired). The rest are fine, though I think everyone would prefer Neferata at Silver Pinnacle instead of yet another vampire wizard on a zombie dragon. Hell, Ushoran, Abhorash, I'll take freaking Konrad

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Ah word my b

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Protagorean posted:

Gorthor wouldn't be the first LL who should be dead by the time the game takes place in the canon proper, but I really hope that particular rumor is false regardless. I don't want another Gor LL, it should be Taurox or bust (though Mixu adds him and Warhoof already, the models leave a bit to be desired). The rest are fine, though I think everyone would prefer Neferata at Silver Pinnacle instead of yet another vampire wizard on a zombie dragon. Hell, Ushoran, Abhorash, I'll take freaking Konrad

All he's said about any of those that is that Ushoran is on CA's radar but he hasn't heard about any particular plans, and that CA and GW don't like the idea of Lahmians being an army in themselves because they feel like it's not in character - supposedly that's why Genevieve got proposed, a Lahmian who's more likely to turn up far afield with an army.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I kinda agree with (rumored) GW there, sure the Lahmians are masters of stealth and infiltration but when it comes to marshalling armies and waging campaigns their necromantic powers are basically the same as the rest of the Vampire Counts and they are pulling from largely the same pool of old world dead that the Von Carsteins do as opposed to the dead sailors and sea creatures that Vampire Coast use. They are however a good excuse to add in the last handful of Vampire Counts units like the Coven Throne though.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

In slightly-related news, GW announced a new mounted Wight King today, and I think it looks cool.

For reference this is the currently-purchasable version.

Edit: Also they teased a new Be'lakor model in the next few months. Which is...conspicuous, given the many assumptions about him being the 9th LL in game 3.

Anno fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 21, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

AnEdgelord posted:

I kinda agree with (rumored) GW there, sure the Lahmians are masters of stealth and infiltration but when it comes to marshalling armies and waging campaigns their necromantic powers are basically the same as the rest of the Vampire Counts and they are pulling from largely the same pool of old world dead that the Von Carsteins do as opposed to the dead sailors and sea creatures that Vampire Coast use. They are however a good excuse to add in the last handful of Vampire Counts units like the Coven Throne though.

Please tell me somebody has modified this so the scythe skellyman is holding his scythe like a guitar so he's a Doof Warrior.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Biggest thing they could do for TKs (and undead factions in general) is boosting growth for them, or SOMETHING. That growth change made the TK early game (all skellies all the time) essentially the entirety of the game. You're either dead, or have conquered the whole map by the time one of your settlements gets to tier V and you can start building the fun stuff.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Anno posted:

In slightly-related news, GW announced a new mounted Wight King today, and I think it looks cool.

For reference this is the currently-purchasable version.

Edit: Also they teased a new Be'lakor model in the next few months. Which is...conspicuous, given the many assumptions about him being the 9th LL in game 3.

The new one is a tiny bit boring but definitely very sick.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Blood Knights and Dragon Princes are also god tier but they come at the same tier as actual giant monsters so

Which is why it feels so very good to start as Imrik and only need that one settlement at level 3 before being able to recruit Dragon Princes.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

TK problem is that it’s easy to be broke as gently caress, since the only meaningful way to get more bucks is to kill dudes. Killing dudes pisses them off which causes them to sack your poo poo which is awful, since that’s where all your money went!

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

i pulled the numbers to check
Grail
Cost (MP): 1500 (1500)
Turns: 2
Upkeep: 375
Statistics
Health: 112
Leadership: 80
Speed: 75
Melee Attack: 38
Melee Defence: 30
Charge Bonus: 78
Weapons
Melee
Weapon Damage: 23
Armour-Piercing Damage: 15
Melee Interval: 5.1 s
Bonus vs. Large: 12
Range: 1

Reiksguard
Cost (MP): 1150 (1150)
Turns: 2
Upkeep: 287
Health: 112
Leadership: 72
Speed: 66
Melee Attack: 34
Melee Defence: 34
Charge Bonus: 62

Melee
Weapon Damage: 28
Armour-Piercing Damage: 12
Melee Interval: 5.1 s
Range: 1

While on paper they're fairly similar with a slight edge to Grail, there are a couple of factors not shown here. One is perfect vigour - Grails keep fighting at full potential the entire combat, where Reiksguard get run down and lose their effectiveness. Another is magical attacks, allowing them to bypass physical resistances. They also get the blessing of the lady, giving them a 20% physical resistance, plus the Lance formation which gives a boost of 36% to their charge bonus, putting it at 106.
On paper, sure, they're close, but that just doesn't account for the ridiculous bonuses Grail knights have.

you can have a unit of empire spearmen following your reiksguard around for the same cost. a unit of spearmen and reiksguard combined will absolutely trash a unit of grail knights.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

ok, well that wasn't your original point at all, but sure

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

ok, well that wasn't your original point at all, but sure

if you don't consider cost a statistic to compare units by then there isn't really any point in trying to discuss balance at all. just make an army of 19 star dragons.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

you were the one that made the claim reiksguard were as good as dude, now you're changing it up to mean actually reiksguard and a spearmen

it's hardly a fair comparison

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

you were the one that made the claim reiksguard were as good as dude, now you're changing it up to mean actually reiksguard and a spearmen

it's hardly a fair comparison

bretonnian cavalry should be better for cost than their equivalent in a faction that isn't explicitly cavalry focused like they are. a high elf player can spend a little less (1400) to get shock cav thats essentially as good as grail knights and they can also spend it on units that bretonnia has basically no answer for like phoenix guard. an empire player gets infantry that is basically always better than their bret equivalent and also very cost effective cavalry and also really good artillery. chaos can just spam halberd warriors but also has chaos knights, who are basically as good as grail knights, can pay a little more for dragon ogres, etc etc.

bretonnia is stuck with cav and their cav isnt overwhelmingly good enough to make that focus work.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

oh ok

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
Whats the verdict on the Radious total conversion mod?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Brettonia should have the best cavalry in the game but they also need something else to make them make sense as a faction. All their other stuff is garbage.

Aren't they all about knights, nobility and king arthur and stuff? They should probably get a footsoldier unit with heavy plate armor and magical swords... Sort of like Chosen. Give them a shield and a greatsword variant and already they'd be a lot more viable and fun.

That's always how I've viewed the brettonians. They should have a lot of cheap chaff (peasants) in order to be able to afford super elite units (plated cavalry / soldiers). It's just that right now their cav is on par with everyone else so they're just a faction full of bad peasants and regular cavalry.

Compared to the Elves or The Empire (who have good cav but also a ton of other viable strategies and cool stuff like monsters and massive ranged firepower) they are sorely lacking. Hopefully when GW brings back the Old World they'll give Brettonia a massive overhaul.

Collapsing Farts fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Feb 21, 2021

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Collapsing Farts posted:

Brettonia should have the best cavalry in the game but they also need something else to make them make sense as a faction. All their other stuff is garbage.

Aren't they all about knights, nobility and king arthur and stuff? They should probably get a footsoldier unit with heavy plate armor and magical swords...

AND WALK LIKE A PEASANT!? You besmudge the Knights of Bretonnia with such slander.

I jest, I do agree Bretonnia needs some more unit variety and their cav finetuning a touch. To give CA credit, I suppose they're balancing around the assumption Bret Cav will always have the Lady's Blessing so they've always got 20% Physical Resist base.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
CA’s working within GW’s cartoonish Monty Python rules for bretonnian society to be fair.

Honestly they’d prolly be a much better roster if they were a little more grounded like the Empire, and they wouldn’t have to lose the foofy knights. Like where is bretonnian Jean Bureau?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
cathay will probably end up with a more diverse roster than bretonnia and that is funny to me

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I don’t know how the vagaries of campaign buffs play into this, but if you just charge a stock unit of Grail Knights into a stock unit of Reiksguard the Grails absolutely dumpster them. If it’s a bit into a fight where the Reiksguard are tired then it’s even worse.

Bretonnia being a focused roster is cool and good. Same with dwarves.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I will repeat, you can stun lock anything with a few units of hippogryph riders. You don't need much micro to do this, point and click and they will kill anything and it won't be able to fight back. I guess they are monstrous cav, so maybe they don't count, but they are still in the top 10 most powerful units easily, if not the top 5. They aren't war mammoths, sure, but nothing is.

Also, mass changes hurt cav the most in order to balance infantry against heavy single unit entities and monstrous infantry/cav. That sucks and made cav worse in the campaign but gave the dwarves a nice boost (as if they needed it). The point was primarily to help balance multiplayer and then to make other strategies in the campaign more viable.

I agree cav generally sucks and always has in campaign. Usable? Sure. But crappy in comparison to *almost* everything else (especially ranged). Charge bonus, which degrades quickly, does not make up for their weak stats and lack of AP where applicable. The AI is almost always going to be ready for a charge or sending something after you. Plus, useless during siege battles with the scrum at the gates or at a hole in the walls.

Again, usable, and they used to send dudes flying but always lackluster. Bretonnia suffers from that as they suffer from lack of replenishment (despite being one of the most powerful factions due to Lord bonuses, hippos and no supply lines).

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
My issue with Bretonnia and why I haven't played them yet is that Empire is just more fun to play. They have good infantry, solid ranged, really good cavalry with Reiksguard and Demigryph Knights. They also have the best artillery in the game with the Helstorm Rocket Battery (maybe Skaven is better?). They have all the best magic (except for vampire), and they get cool toys like the Steamtank and Luminark. I used to think Empire was boring to play, but that's because I didn't know how to use them.

Bretonnia needs something cool. Maybe some monsters?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Brettonian archers are and always have been great and you can Bretelf your way to victory for huge swathes of the campaign if you don't feel like microing 20 units of cav.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Question for you greenskin experts.

I just started a Skarsnik Mortal empires campaign (cause I loooove Night Gobbos :3:). Is there any reason not to give all night goblins the fungus flask scrap update? I mean, maybe I misunderstand its effects, but it looks way better than the alternatives.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
this is just like that conversation about dwarfs last week. maybe what Bretonnia needs is three kinds of dragon, elite physical resist halberdiers, and an all-woman unit of magical ranged AP archers.

Not all factions need to be Dark/High Elves, Greenskins, or Empire. Factions can have some limitations and specializations. And Bret is definitely not underpowered in campaign or MP. If you want to win sieges in campaign take 4 units of pegasus knights (great in field battles too) and realize you have some of the strongest castle attackers in the game.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

They’re the only faction that can throw a 90kg stone over 300 meters tho

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

This whole conversation did lead me to do some testing though and Questing Knights seem to pretty handily beat Reiksguard, and for 50 gold less too!

Plus I had a couple of really fun battles using two Knights Errant against the Reiksguard/spearmen combo, which is winnable just as long as you stay mobile - with a saving of 100 gold!

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Tarquinn posted:

Question for you greenskin experts.

I just started a Skarsnik Mortal empires campaign (cause I loooove Night Gobbos :3:). Is there any reason not to give all night goblins the fungus flask scrap update? I mean, maybe I misunderstand its effects, but it looks way better than the alternatives.

If I remember correctly that scrap upgrade is unique to Skarsnik faction, so yes you should give it to all night gobbos so you can poison even more your enemies.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah that's his exclusive scrap upgrade. Very nasty.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AnEdgelord posted:

I kinda agree with (rumored) GW there, sure the Lahmians are masters of stealth and infiltration but when it comes to marshalling armies and waging campaigns their necromantic powers are basically the same as the rest of the Vampire Counts and they are pulling from largely the same pool of old world dead that the Von Carsteins do as opposed to the dead sailors and sea creatures that Vampire Coast use.

This guy has claimed in the past that there are people at CA who are really into the concept of hybrid LLs like Arkhan the Black, and that one of the ideas for Lahmians that's been floated in the past is a hybrid Counts/Empire or Counts/Bretonnia LL in similar fashion, and that there have been similar proposals for other faction hybrids, but that GW really does not like the idea and wants factions to mostly be pure in this game. He's also said that CA has voiced the opinion that Lahmians could only be done properly if there's some kind of espionage system but the prevailing opinion is that that wouldn't work mechanically due to all the restrictions that would need to be in place on who could plausibly infiltrate who and whatnot.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Lol at the guy very earnestly posting about how bad he is at Brets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Muscle Wizard posted:

you can have a unit of empire spearmen following your reiksguard around for the same cost. a unit of spearmen and reiksguard combined will absolutely trash a unit of grail knights.

ok but then you no longer have a cavalry unit