Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That video is pretty interesting, but clearly there is something specifically wrong with the Dualsense since these issues are pretty rare with other controllers that use that joystick, and defective Dualsenses are absolutely rampant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i dunno, the xbox elite controller is known for having stick drift issues but it and the dual sense are using the same exact hardware as the DS4 and the regular xbox one controllers. i don't see any particular reason those elite controllers or the dual sense would be drifting worse than the xbox one and dual shock 4 controllers or switch pro controller would be for that matter.

i think this is partially perception, which is why people are referring to sony getting sued in this lawsuit against sony, microsoft, and nintendo.

i do think it would be cool if $70 controllers weren't so prone to stick drift, but then i think about how nintendo made a switch with joycons you can't remove knowing their failure rate and i feel very discouraged about any of these companies taking this seriously. this really feels like a case where a long time ago they decided fixing broken ones will still be cheaper for them than spending more on the hardware.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Only the most chronically online people have PS5s and they’re also the first to start posting when things break.

It’s a perfect storm of perceived problems.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

Only the most chronically online people have PS5s and they’re also the first to start posting when things break.

I own one, my stick is fine. I finished Control on it just now. Played all of 13 Sentinels on it. Easily a 100h played on it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

History Comes Inside! posted:

It's really not a fake problem and it's not normal for a controller to fail this often even if Nintendo dropped the ball with the joycons as well.

Also the idea that chronically online people are the only ones that would be bothered by controllers that are literally unusable is pretty dumb. If larger swathes of people were able to get their hands on a PS5 the problem would be even more visible.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

ThermoPhysical posted:

This is pretty bad, iFixit found that DualSense has a shelf-life of just over 400 hours so 150 is very bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qPNyio3VDk

Apparently, its the exact same mechanism in the Switch, PS4, Xbox One, and probably even the Xbox Series S/X.

This is 100% a hardware fix because Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo are incredibly cheap.

Apparently Sony will even make you eat the shipping costs to them depending on where you live.

i knew my cheddar goldfish cracker habit was the culprit :argh:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
400hr life for a controller seems uhhh really bad when you can easily do more than twice that in a year?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

400hr life for a controller seems uhhh really bad when you can easily do more than twice that in a year?

like most electronics they are usually going to break in the first few months or not at all

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

all console launches have defective parts, people just forget about them is all

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
theres been more n64 releases this year than ps5 releases, so far.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

like most electronics they are usually going to break in the first few months or not at all

I had a Samsung tv that broke days after the extended 3 year warranty I purchased had expired :(

Which is why I always buy SONY

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
my samsung tv which is now my monitor which is how i read all your posts, is still working after 10 years but i had to take it apart a few years ago and attach a toothpick on the circuit boards to keep it straight because they had drooped and causing the screen to go werid like the gamma was set to max brightness. been fine since.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Also the idea that chronically online people are the only ones that would be bothered by controllers that are literally unusable is pretty dumb. If larger swathes of people were able to get their hands on a PS5 the problem would be even more visible.

I’m not saying “only the chronically online hate broken controllers” I’m saying the people who have consoles already are also the most likely to get online and complain about things that are wrong.

So there’s an outsized number of people online complaining all at once that looks significant when you forget to account for the millions of other people who are also just as online, but aren’t saying anything because their controllers are fine.

I’m not saying every controller is a perfectly crafted gift from God but to start doomposting about how they’re all 100% made out of tissue paper and wishes and guaranteed to break because the issue is “rampant” is silly.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
confirmation bias

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

in exactly the same way that you can reasonably expect a fishpost limerick despite them being statistically quite rare but most of the other fishposts arent as interesting or relevant to you personally so you dont have any reason to pay attention or remember them

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

fridge corn posted:

Maybe but that's based on parts that have been used in controllers for ages. The video is a little clickbaity because the title makes it sounds like there's something uniquely wrong with the DS5, but they don't identify any such problems.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Remember ps4 launch? They had triggers that could break rendering them useless or the rubber on your joysticks would wear down within months.

This is what warranties are for.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

These aren't defects, they're just lovely

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Soul Glo posted:

These aren't defects, they're just lovely

Based on what? If they're using the same components as before, either the issue isn't as widespread as it appears, or there's some new fundamental problem.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Sorta yes, sorta no. The thing about controllers is that in addition to being electronics, they're also mechanical, which makes them much more failure prone by comparison to something like a motherboard. If your controller breaks, it is 90% of the time going to be because of the mechanical stresses causing one of the moving parts to fail or a cable to break, not because the solid-state electronics are broken. Controllers that are solidly constructed tend to last basically forever unless (as you say) they have the kind of manufacturing flaw that makes them break early into their lifetime.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I always felt guilty when I upgrade generations and have controllers lying around. Hell I still have a working PS3 controller. I never really thought of them as something with an expiry date honestly

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

i wouldnt go fondling the analog sticks on the sixaxis unless you like goo

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

It seems I might! My best examples of racing games I've really enjoyed are Ridge Racer Type 4, whatever that one super popular one on the original X-Box was, and Asphalt 7 & 8 which I played the stinking dookie out of on a laptop, which is I guess to say "arcade style" racers. If Dirt 5 won't be for me, is there anything on the horizon which may be?

Thanks, I'm a dumbass and I didn't like Bloodborne, two separate and unrelated facts. I appreciate the help!

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

the ps5 controller seems to provide a lot more power to headphones compared to the ps4 controller. I'm using the same headphones [ath-m50] and ps4 games sound noticeably better. I'm curious if the ps4 controller wasn't able to drive them properly due to electrical magicks like impedance.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

the ps5 controller seems to provide a lot more power to headphones compared to the ps4 controller. I'm using the same headphones [ath-m50] and ps4 games sound noticeably better. I'm curious if the ps4 controller wasn't able to drive them properly due to electrical magicks like impedance.

The controller is definitely amped. I can use my 250ohm headphones with it.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

cvnvcnv posted:

Even if deeply mixed, the opinions on games in this thread seem top notch so lemme ask: Do I want to buy Dirt 5?

It seems I might! My best examples of racing games I've really enjoyed are Ridge Racer Type 4, whatever that one super popular one on the original X-Box was, and Asphalt 7 & 8 which I played the stinking dookie out of on a laptop, which is I guess to say "arcade style" racers. If Dirt 5 won't be for me, is there anything on the horizon which may be?

Thanks, I'm a dumbass and I didn't like Bloodborne, two separate and unrelated facts. I appreciate the help!

I really enjoyed Onrush but I'm very far on arcade side of the spectrum. If I could get a new Split/Second, Burnout, or even Blur, I'd be over the moon

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 21, 2021

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've been getting really terrible input lag playing PS4 games - if anyone else is experiencing the same it was fixed by using a PS4 controller rather than the dualsense. damndest thing - the Sense is fine for Ps5 games.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Purely speculating here, but might it have something to do with PS4 input being optimized for 30FPS while PS5 input isn't?

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Chaotic Flame posted:

I really enjoyed Onrush but

But nothing, it's only like $2.50 right now in PS Store so I bought it. Know zilch about it but I will here in a few!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Cardiovorax posted:

Purely speculating here, but might it have something to do with PS4 input being optimized for 30FPS while PS5 input isn't?

Could be - all the games I've having issues with are 30fps - I'll need to try a 60fps PS4 game to see if there's a difference.

Actually now I think about it, GOW was 60fps and seemed to be fine. So maybe that is it. Lost Legacy was borderline unplayable until I switched controllers, no exaggeration, it was worse than having game mode off, felt like a full 200ms delay or more

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Real hurthling! posted:

Days gone remains baffling to me.
They have you go to town A to get a lecture about how you arent being a good friend to your buddy who is depressed.
Then they make you go to town B to cheer him up.
You get there and without any cutscene say "how is it going"
He says sarcastically "i love it here" as he performs mandatory hard labor and copes with the loss of everything he loves
You say "well see you around"
Mission complete, xp gained.

Dude, maybe go check in with your friends.

But yeah, you can tell some story, and an entire morality system, got very roughly chopped out of the game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im at the church mission that everyone thinks is the end of the game but its actually only the 40% mark. Im gonna beat days gone one day soon but i would love to have a conversation with bend studios' editor

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Had my first crash(?) yesterday after trying to enter a new area in Fallout 4.

Screen went dark, controller started blinking blue. I had to press the power button on the console to turn it back on whereupon I was presented with the console storage repair screen and a message about my console not being shut off properly.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

ZeeBoi posted:

Had my first crash(?) yesterday after trying to enter a new area in Fallout 4.

Screen went dark, controller started blinking blue. I had to press the power button on the console to turn it back on whereupon I was presented with the console storage repair screen and a message about my console not being shut off properly.

Fallout 4 admittedly crashes a fair bit on the PS4. And XboxOne. And Series X. And PC. And Stadia.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

Remember ps4 launch? They had triggers that could break rendering them useless or the rubber on your joysticks would wear down within months.

This is what warranties are for.

PS4 launch concerns came in various shapes and sizes. People had trouble with bent pins on their HDMI ports, with rubber wearing off the sticks in 2 weeks of use, with broken triggers, yes, and with ejecting dics due to static buildup on the capacitive button. Sony bricked a bunch of consoles with an early firmware update, they had error messages from psn when trying to download games, and something quaintly referred to as 'the red line of death.'

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I hope somebody invents a new analog stick one day that dont break

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

ejecting dics due to static buildup on the capacitive button
I did not realize that this is a thing that can even happen. Aren't capacitive buttons all about always being under voltage and a very specific amount being drained away only when human skin touches it?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Let me tell you, after having no knowledge of the Nioh games I picked up 2 after a friend recommended it and it is probably my GOTY so far.

It's totally got it's hooks into me like not many other games have done so in a long time.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I’m going to return my ps5 cause I heard the controllers are absolute garbage that break when you look at it :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Getting a little burned out on Nioh 2 myself, the main and sub missions really start putting you in frustrating situations after a while