Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The Hillary Clinton new girl episode is an abomination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Fleetwood posted:

the episodes where DS9 time travels back to San Fransisco are the best Star Trek ever imo

e: the only think I don't like is the plot twist involving Sisko

second only to the one were quark's bar unionizes

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
And the fact that Star Trek will no longer go there is part of the reason why the modern stuff rings so loving hollow

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Tighclops posted:

And the fact that Star Trek will no longer go there is part of the reason why the modern stuff rings so loving hollow

Star Trek was made demonstrably worse by advances in CGI making it so they could put giant flashy space battles in an episode whenever they wanted

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

Curious if anyone has links to decent political readings on anything related to Star Trek?

From what I've seen the franchise as a whole seems pretty neolib IMO, but it's pretty novel to watch something like TNG with such sincere optimism in TYOOL 2021

I've been making my way through the films, too. If horny wasn't prohibited, I'd talk more about how much Ricardo Montalban owns but alas

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3914715&pagenumber=1&perpage=40&userid=118075#post502665066

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qag2bOBUVfQ

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Tighclops posted:

The new stuff is also all grimdark, which is weird for a trek.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Like don't get me wrong the shows were always made by well off white dudes so that progressive streak was never very deep but it did go a little harder than "well we let the queers onto our show now" so they can join in on the war crimes

It's been going this way for a long time now it's just finally come to a head

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Tricky D posted:

second only to the one were quark's bar unionizes

oh yeah, I like that one too and it has Leeta so it's probly the best overall

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I don't understand how nerds after the original series seized onto Star Trek as something that needs fleshing out with technical manuals and explanation for the science jargon. It seems pretty obvious that the science fiction elements were to create setting where the conflicts could be about the "pure" human condition and perception, without the baggage of the current political struggles.

In that context, the Spock/Kirk slash fiction of the era honestly seems more true to the spirit of the show. There are lots of episodes where people are extremely horny and passionate, but broadcast norms of the time meant no explicit gay stuff was allowed. In contrast to this, reason there was no in depth discussion of warp travel is because no one cared enough t explain it.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Tighclops posted:

Like don't get me wrong the shows were always made by well off white dudes so that progressive streak was never very deep but it did go a little harder than "well we let the queers onto our show now" so they can join in on the war crimes

It's been going this way for a long time now it's just finally come to a head

It's been a real shame watching the culture of star trek progressively become more contemporary. DS9, while good, was pretty much the point where all the characters began to have the same mindsets as the audience.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fleetwood posted:

the episodes where DS9 time travels back to San Fransisco are the best Star Trek ever imo

e: the only think I don't like is the plot twist involving Sisko

It's not science fiction since depicted the world that rich liberals actually created in the last 20 years in cities .

especially the bits showing special zones for poor people.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

e:^^ the whole "government passes a jobs act that it immediately forgets about implementing" is, if anything, an optimistic vision of the biden era

Tricky D posted:

It's been a real shame watching the culture of star trek progressively become more contemporary. DS9, while good, was pretty much the point where all the characters began to have the same mindsets as the audience.

yeah ds9 was good, and i honestly prefer its sort of "modern humans who just live in an Actually Pretty Good society" to tng's "we've evolved past being interesting," but modern trek isn't even asking interesting questions about the future, its just rehashing the end of history but everything's cleaner now

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Zardoz owns and predicts social media amazingly well.

Rollerball owns in being a true corporate hellscape.

It's too bad the sport from New Lands music video isn't real:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxu248aD6PY

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

StashAugustine posted:

yeah ds9 was good, and i honestly prefer its sort of "modern humans who just live in an Actually Pretty Good society" to tng's "we've evolved past being interesting," but modern trek isn't even asking interesting questions about the future, its just rehashing the end of history but everything's cleaner now

star fleet officers using money and playing tongo was good. section 31 and the arc about a fascist coup being brought on through paranoia over changelings were not.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Atrocious Joe posted:

I don't understand how nerds after the original series seized onto Star Trek as something that needs fleshing out with technical manuals and explanation for the science jargon. It seems pretty obvious that the science fiction elements were to create setting where the conflicts could be about the "pure" human condition and perception, without the baggage of the current political struggles.

is there a sci-fi show or series this isn't true about tho?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Tricky D posted:

star fleet officers using money and playing tongo was good. section 31 and the arc about a fascist coup being brought on through paranoia over changelings were not.

Section 31 I will definitely give you- you can sort of justify it (as a storytelling conceit, not an organization) maybe, and ofc future attempts to use it were even dumber, but yeah it doesn't really fit with the spirit of the show. I did think the Six Days In Space May storyline was good though- it's a tiny reactionary minority and it's obviously portrayed as a terrible idea (even before it's implied that all the security measures are completely useless because changelings are way more sophisticated than they thought)

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
at this point, i reflexively see section 31 (as portrayed in ds9) as just one guy larping as space cia

starfleet trying to coup the federation gov just shits over everything starfleet had been portrayed as representing in prior trek. also lol that the one guy who stood up to the security state was admiral cartwright

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Atrocious Joe posted:

In that context, the Spock/Kirk slash fiction of the era honestly seems more true to the spirit of the show. There are lots of episodes where people are extremely horny and passionate, but broadcast norms of the time meant no explicit gay stuff was allowed. In contrast to this, reason there was no in depth discussion of warp travel is because no one cared enough t explain it.

I think there are just always people who need to suck the fun out of everything with Hard Lore

I saw Ghostbusters once and it's a pretty fun movie. But, like, people watched that film and needed to obsess over the models of the ghost vacuums and the cars and poo poo and that sounds so miserable to me

Fleshing out Trek tech is also p lol because literally everything is explained away with techno magic. The Enterprise always has enough power reserves, or shields, or an extra canon to save the day

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

gradenko_2000 posted:

John Krasinski is a loving Fed

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

"yeah I liked Star Trek, the show about US and our COOL ALLIES versus THE EVIL DOERS from OVER THERE who look basically exactly the same but they have a gruff accent, BEFORE it got political"

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Tricky D posted:

at this point, i reflexively see section 31 (as portrayed in ds9) as just one guy larping as space cia

starfleet trying to coup the federation gov just shits over everything starfleet had been portrayed as representing in prior trek. also lol that the one guy who stood up to the security state was admiral cartwright

The coup seems like something the series has been setting up for a while. Voyager/DS9/TNG all showed that there was a big rift in starfleet regarding how militant the federation should be.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Audiences are supposed to sympathize with Cruella, like they do with Harley Quinn and Maleficent in their movies.

We don't know as much about the Winter Soldier show, but the "new Captain America" portrayed by Wyatt Russell hasn't had much promotional material released, and it seems like he may be the real main villain of the show. I wouldn't be surprised if the anarchist antagonists work with the heroes in the end, like their inspiration has in the comics.

Disney is promoting anarchists as cool and dangerous because in the US the ideology isn't very dangerous to the ruling class. That the CIA aligned Daily Beast is boasting these claims is further evidence against anarchism being very threatening.

Contrast this with Disney's treatment of communism. In Winter Soldier, communists are portrayed as part of the same cult as the Nazis. In the new Black Widow movie, David Harbour will play a "Captain Soviet" style character, who is a pathetic joke when compared to the heroic Captain America. Communism, a powerful tool for the working class, is portrayed in an extremely unappealing way to deter further investigation into it by audiences.

pay me $500 and I'll flesh this out more for clickbait

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Chud Star Trek fans confuse the gently caress out of me, what about the Federation to you says Right Wing politics

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Tricky D posted:

i kind of have the opposite reaction, s31 is very strongly implied to have its tendrils in big chunks of starfleet while iirc the attempted coup was one dipshit and a couple loyalists

KomradeX posted:

Chud Star Trek fans confuse the gently caress out of me, what about the Federation to you says Right Wing politics

my take is that right wingers have already built a persecution narrative about media so they silo off any time it gets political as "oh drat libs at it again" and go back to kirk being cool

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

were TOS Klingons a type of blackface

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Bootleg Trunks posted:

john krasinskis full throated sucking off of the CIA is unbearable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_osgrcpes4

Mundrial Mantis
Aug 15, 2017

KomradeX posted:

Wasn't Ayn Rand a fan of Star Trek? She was more into pop culture and movies than most people expect

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

KomradeX posted:

The series all take place almost entirely within the confines of a strictly hierarchical and authoritarian leadership structure modeled after modern military organization

There's nothing revolutionary about star trek, the original series' treatment of racial issues aside. Trek has never been about fleshing out the reality or details of the federation and their accomplishments, or the work it took to achieve them. It's an abstracted liberal utopia spoken about with vague allusions and recitation of their official mythology

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Atrocious Joe posted:

were TOS Klingons a type of blackface

we do not discuss it with outsiders

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

StashAugustine posted:

i kind of have the opposite reaction, s31 is very strongly implied to have its tendrils in big chunks of starfleet while iirc the attempted coup was one dipshit and a couple loyalists

my take is that right wingers have already built a persecution narrative about media so they silo off any time it gets political as "oh drat libs at it again" and go back to kirk being cool

the coup certainly was, but sisko was cool with the other aspects of the security state until grampa sisko laid it on him

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
a popular fan theory is that Sloan is the *only* member of section 31 and that they're essentially a delusion of his, or that they're super-tiny and actually ineffectual. I guess they do infect the founders with a killer virus but we never get any confirmation that section 31 is actually controlling the entire federation or anything like that

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
in a post scarcity society, one man could conceivably run cointelpro

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Atrocious Joe posted:

Audiences are supposed to sympathize with Cruella, like they do with Harley Quinn and Maleficent in their movies.

We don't know as much about the Winter Soldier show, but the "new Captain America" portrayed by Wyatt Russell hasn't had much promotional material released, and it seems like he may be the real main villain of the show. I wouldn't be surprised if the anarchist antagonists work with the heroes in the end, like their inspiration has in the comics.

Disney is promoting anarchists as cool and dangerous because in the US the ideology isn't very dangerous to the ruling class. That the CIA aligned Daily Beast is boasting these claims is further evidence against anarchism being very threatening.

Contrast this with Disney's treatment of communism. In Winter Soldier, communists are portrayed as part of the same cult as the Nazis. In the new Black Widow movie, David Harbour will play a "Captain Soviet" style character, who is a pathetic joke when compared to the heroic Captain America. Communism, a powerful tool for the working class, is portrayed in an extremely unappealing way to deter further investigation into it by audiences.

pay me $500 and I'll flesh this out more for clickbait

Give me your Venmo and you have a deal.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Wrong thread!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY has issued a correction as of 02:17 on Feb 22, 2021

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Wheeee posted:

The series all take place almost entirely within the confines of a strictly hierarchical and authoritarian leadership structure modeled after modern military organization

There's nothing revolutionary about star trek, the original series' treatment of racial issues aside. Trek has never been about fleshing out the reality or details of the federation and their accomplishments, or the work it took to achieve them. It's an abstracted liberal utopia spoken about with vague allusions and recitation of their official mythology

yeah but like there's only so much you can do in syndication you know

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Star Trek sucks and is extremely loving boring

Atrocious Joe posted:

:hmmyes:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Also it seems like they went all out with the Malthusian propaganda in those Avengers movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Does Mike post here?