Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

sticklefifer posted:

Bear with me here, but I feel like the new Wolverine would be a good place to slate a wrestler with decent acting skills trying to break into Hollywood. You know he'll maintain the physique, can probably do his own stunts, and doesn't have to show a lot of emotional range because his job is to look like a badass all the time. I had doubts about Dave Bautista when he joined the MCU, but he's made Drax one of the most fun characters.

I like the idea of a short Wolverine like in the comics. Daniel Radcliffe is only 5'5" and is young enough if he wanted to enter into another monster franshise, but he seems happy collecting his checks and doing weird rear end (but usually entertaining!) stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Personally I want to see Jonah Ray as a very tall Wolverine. Just totally play against the expectation.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
I quite like Taron Egerton for Wolverine.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

sticklefifer posted:

Bear with me here, but I feel like the new Wolverine would be a good place to slate a wrestler with decent acting skills trying to break into Hollywood. You know he'll maintain the physique, can probably do his own stunts, and doesn't have to show a lot of emotional range because his job is to look like a badass all the time. I had doubts about Dave Bautista when he joined the MCU, but he's made Drax one of the most fun characters.

Wolverine is supposed to be a tiny guy. He's more badass because despite his size, he wrecks people. I know Marvel won't be able to resist casting a 6 foot (or taller guy) for him. It's weird seeing Wolverine being taller than Cyclops.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I just want a Patch & Hulk in Madripoor miniseries.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
The X-men are definitely a big enough deal to be in heaps of movies, but if they had the X-men basically just in a Disney Plus series or two with brief movie cameos it seems like it'd be a strong way to drive more subscriptions to their already wildly popular subscription service.

I'd get a real kick out of an X-men series that has them dusting it up with all sorts of villains from the comics as each season builds up to a confrontation with a major big bad, and it'd be a nice change from the typical formula of having 1-2 villains per movie or series.

Overall I'm content knowing that we'll absolutely get Avengers vs. X-men with a MCU level of budget and polish someday, and that's going to be a lot of fun. Having an X-men series running for awhile and making that the big pay-off movie would be a grand time.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

sticklefifer posted:

So... you are saying you want Joey Janella?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I'm going to be moderately controversial and say that I prefer experiencing the MCU in episodic form over films. These are comic books stories and they way they are told lends itself so much better to weekly releases. Each episode advances the plot while also ending on a cliffhanger or big reveal...just like a normal comic book run. I even prefer the episodic release schedule of The Mandalorian over the format of the movie. Star Wars was based on the early Republic Serials like Flash Gordan and Commando Cody. Again, the episodic storytelling format meshes really well with the vibe of Star Wars.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I'd be fine with long form storytelling if they weren't clearly using the exact same pacing that all the movies use and just adding long stretches of nothing in between.

Reminder that last episode had several scenes of two characters stopped at an intersection. It was funny, but, like, it was also asinine.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Bleck posted:

I'd be fine with long form storytelling if they weren't clearly using the exact same pacing that all the movies use and just adding long stretches of nothing in between.

Reminder that last episode had several scenes of two characters stopped at an intersection. It was funny, but, like, it was also asinine.

The whole point of that sequence was to make Vision and Darcy feel like they were getting their storyline dragged out with nothing.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

So during the Agatha All Along sequence, any idea what kind of magic Agatha was working during the talent show when Wanda was doing her magic show? They show her doing some magic-y thing.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

So during the Agatha All Along sequence, any idea what kind of magic Agatha was working during the talent show when Wanda was doing her magic show? They show her doing some magic-y thing.

My assumption was influencing Visions behavior. And the gum was what she edited in for broadcast.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Djarum posted:

So... you are saying you want Joey Janella?

No wrestlers, get Peter Dinklage on the phone

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They even announced that it had been cancelled three months before it ever aired. And the earlier mentioned Squirrel Girl series was never produced, there was just the filmed pilot that even Freeform passed on.

Helstrom wasn’t officially cancelled until a month or so after it premiered, though it was so blindingly obvious that it wouldn’t get another season that it may have felt like that happened much earlier.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Bleck posted:

Those scenes were pretty drat important for Vision.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

thrawn527 posted:

Maybe the "for the children" part?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozKbO8hEqQc

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Maybe the "for the children" part?

Ohhh, that could make sense.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I still think Agatha is a red herring. It's probably (comics) Lore

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Azhais posted:

I still think Agatha is a red herring. It's probably (comics) Lore

while I can’t necessarily rule out the possibility that the studio that used Kaecilius as the main villain of the Doctor Strange movie could be using an obscure villain from a justly forgotten 90s miniseries, I think it’s too late in the series for that to be a red herring, especially given how the reveal was presented

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Barry Convex posted:

while I can’t necessarily rule out the possibility that the studio that used Kaecilius as the main villain of the Doctor Strange movie could be using an obscure villain from a justly forgotten 90s miniseries, I think it’s too late in the series for that to be a red herring, especially given how the reveal was presented

Yeah, but taking someone that's traditionally on the side of good and making her the villain doesn't make much sense either. Olsen playing Witch and Lore in the Strange movie with Mr Pandemonium really works into the multiverse of madness name. Combined with the Nexus stuff in the episode..

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Spacebump posted:

Wolverine is supposed to be a tiny guy. He's more badass because despite his size, he wrecks people. I know Marvel won't be able to resist casting a 6 foot (or taller guy) for him. It's weird seeing Wolverine being taller than Cyclops.
Yeah, I'm referring to modern guys. A lot of them are typically under 6' and <200 lbs nowadays.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The X-man cometh posted:

The whole point of that sequence was to make Vision and Darcy feel like they were getting their storyline dragged out with nothing.

It was also to give Vision some breathing room so he could get more insight into who he and his wife are and were, what had happened prior to his time in Westview etc. so that he has more information on why Wanda is doing what she's doing when he confronts her over the fact she's mentally torturing a whole town and that he can't survive outside the bubble she's placed him in at the cost of all those people.

Barry Convex posted:

If anything, I think it makes it more likely; both because of just how overly exaggerated and campy the reveal is compared to how serious what's happening is and because there are two episodes left, and really, what makes Wanda defeating Agatha particularly difficult if Agatha cannot directly control Wanda? Especially when Vision and Monica are converging on Agatha's house at that moment. Even if you add in time to defeat Hayward and whatever he's planning too, it still feels like two episodes is being overly generous.

It's also worth bearing in mind that for all that we learned in the last episode about Agatha, (a) she's traditionally a good character and not a villain, so her being the villain of this story seems a little odd and (b) she has no idea how the hex was started either, apparently arrived after it was already in effect and was using "Pietro" to quiz Wanda as to how the hex was put into place, where the kids were and just what was going on. Which means there must be someone else at play. Unless the hex is just going to be some kind of naturally occurring phenomenon, which seems pretty weak.

Add to that a lot of the stuff that Agatha has said could actually carry double meaning (or maybe triple meaning at this point) and convey positive intent. Wanda is obviously shocked by Agatha as cameraman asking "do you feel like maybe you deserve to be miserable" or whatever she said, but at the same time, that's the kind of leading question a counsellor would ask when trying to dig in the to source of person's misery, and all of the stuff she's apparently done to townspeople has just been to make Vision more aware of the oddity around him; which seems like a positive she has no reason to do if she wants to upend Wanda or whatever. It's not like Vision wasn't removed from Wanda's side for large portions of the time prior to this, if that's all she wanted.

Honestly, as fun as Kathryn Hahn's "Agatha All Along" song is, I really don't like the implication that she's been manipulating Wanda and/or the townspeople all this time either; mostly because it seems kind of pointless. The one that stands out to me is her in the car from episode 6, because I cannot figure out what she was actually accomplishing in that scene. Vision has already seen swathes of the town frozen in place, and determined to leave the town to get help for them. Which he is the one to raise the prospect of to Agnes, so she's not even pushing him to do so in that scene. As is, she could have sat there for hours with nothing to show for it, because Vision spotting and going to her was ultimately just luck that she played no part in and she didn't even do anything when he did chance upon her. I hate the idea that she's been influencing characters like Herb to act weird around Vision too, because Vision was already questioning his existence and finding oddities around the town like the email, frozen people etc. Never mind that Wanda has outright edited his memories to stop him cottoning on to the fact something is up at least once in the past, so Agatha wasn't even speeding up the process really. It just seems like needless complexity to make her responsible for some of that. Unless she's trying to help in the any way she can, as small as it might be. At which point the desperation of it is at least understandable.

That all said, I do think it's possible that Agatha is ultimately doing something bad herself, parallel to Wanda but there to act as a contrast to Wanda. Someone who refuses to let go of her quest regardless of harm, while Wanda steps back from that edge. Between the "FOR THE CHILDREN" chants, and constant talk of Ralph along with her empty house and hints she is looking for some way to conquer death it seems plausible that she wants to either bring back Ralph and/or have kids herself and wants to take control of the hex or replicate it for instance. I cannot imagine there isn't another shoe to drop though, given that she seems as clueless about what's going on as Wanda and there are two episodes left.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

We're rewatching the series and the 70's is just so dead on to the stuff that was on when I was a little kid. The lighting, costumes and set design are like looking at old memories.

Also, when Darcy is talking to the other "experts" in the back of the truck she refers to it as a clown car, lol.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Marsupial Ape posted:

I'm going to be moderately controversial and say that I prefer experiencing the MCU in episodic form over films.
It's certainly done a good job of keeping my attention over the last 6 weeks, compared to the movies that are mostly gone from my head after a week.

I like how they're trying to keep the momentum by rolling quickly into Falcon and the Winter Soldier but I don't know how it can be any good. "Flying guy and tough man go on missions" doesn't have the same zazz as this reality-bending witchcraft.

Though I must admit when I saw the WandaVision trailer I was similarly skeptical. I expected a high-concept failure but instead it's a high-concept success.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

sticklefifer posted:

Yeah, I'm referring to modern guys. A lot of them are typically under 6' and <200 lbs nowadays.

I did not realize that, apologies. In that case, I like your idea.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sivart13 posted:

It's certainly done a good job of keeping my attention over the last 6 weeks, compared to the movies that are mostly gone from my head after a week.

I like how they're trying to keep the momentum by rolling quickly into Falcon and the Winter Soldier but I don't know how it can be any good. "Flying guy and tough man go on missions" doesn't have the same zazz as this reality-bending witchcraft.

Though I must admit when I saw the WandaVision trailer I was similarly skeptical. I expected a high-concept failure but instead it's a high-concept success.

I imagine the show's success, or at least it's ability to hold tension week to week will depend largely on how much of a thriller it is or if it's just straight buddy action/comedy. The trailers certainly play up the odd couple dynamic, but there is still suggestions of a larger political or social thriller story in the trailers, and if the show plays up that intrigue and/or leans in to the moral complexity of Zemo and his sympathetic qualities (or uses what I assume is Sin in a similar fashion) it'll probably be more interesting. Honestly though, my biggest fear about the show is how they'll blend Cap's shield with Falcon's existing costume. because anytime I've seen Sam holding the shield in comic panels or fanart while wearing the wingsuit the whole comes off as very visually cluttered. Even with the wing's stowed away in this one, it'll be rather busy, because the shield goes on the back where the wings are too. A smaller pack of hardlight wings or something that are only there when he's flying would honestly seem preferable, but I doubt the show is going to do that. At least this version is unlikely to have the ugly half mask thing that comics Sam Wilson has as Captain America.

There would seem to be a good chance it's more a thriller though, just based on the trend of the Cap films. The films had the Russo Brothers helming though, while Falcon & The Winter Soldier is directed by someone I'm unfamiliar with. I suppose anyone more familiar with Kari Skogland's output might have more input on the matter.

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 22, 2021

radlum
May 13, 2013

Sivart13 posted:

I feel the same; the episodic nature of a TV series has many advantages, but I'd like to see how it works on FATWS, since that one seems like the most "MCU" of this first batch of series.

If it works, then I think the episodic take on MCU properties could work for smaller stuff and leave the bigger things for the films.

Perry the Platypus
Aug 7, 2009
Any insight into whether or not 'Agatha all along' would be an observable program to the folks at SWORD? And if so, why Agatha would do that if she were the big bad? I'm not buying it yet.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

grain of salt, but someone on Reddit who accurately leaked the length of episode 7 a few days in advance says that episode 8 is 47 minutes, which would be about 40 minus credits. hopefully correct

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Perry the Platypus posted:

Any insight into whether or not 'Agatha all along' would be an observable program to the folks at SWORD? And if so, why Agatha would do that if she were the big bad? I'm not buying it yet.

Hayward mentioned the feed went all static after the Hex expanded, unless he’s lying, which is also possible.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

They said earlier in the episode that they haven’t had access to the “broadcast” since the Hex increased and they had to fallback.

e: beaten

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Though if Wanda or Agatha or whoever else has the ability to turn off the broadcast, that does beg the question of why it ever existed in the first place.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!

Edmund Lava posted:

Hayward mentioned the feed went all static after the Hex expanded, unless he’s lying, which is also possible.

I figure they lost the signal when the show moved to HD and they didn't have Darcy around to figure it out for them.

Perry the Platypus
Aug 7, 2009

Edmund Lava posted:

Oh drat. Thanks!

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Oh drat. Thanks!

lol if the "show" stopped being broadcast over the air and has gone to a "streaming" platform

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Its Rinaldo posted:

lol if the "show" stopped being broadcast over the air and has gone to a "streaming" platform

A CompuServe exclusive

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Sesq posted:

I figure they lost the signal when the show moved to HD and they didn't have Darcy around to figure it out for them.

This is the most likely explanation. When they said they lost the feed my initial thought was "Darcy probably just needs to adjust some poo poo, good job kicking her out dumbasses".

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Edmund Lava posted:

The feed switched to ATSC and they forgot to connect a digital tuner :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

twistedmentat posted:

It really is a crime especially since they casted her so perfectly.

Wait, was there a live action one or are you talking about the animated one she was a part of?