Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
How can you be that bitter towards someone who probably made you a billion dollars? That's sub-Dolan poo poo. Sorry your owner sucks so bad Wolves fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Declan MacManus posted:

here’s 16 minutes of why glen taylor sucks for the uninitiated
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6T3HyZGumUA

I expected a 16 minute Wiggins mixtape

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Le Saboteur posted:

Holy poo poo, I had no idea the Timberwolves hadn't retired KG's number.

Their only retired numbers are two guys who died while on the payroll. Somehow the Hornets are in the same position. Toronto just waiting on someone to croak

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
This is killing me

https://twitter.com/timberwolves/status/1363703377247555590?s=21

Looks like he’s about to be slimed

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

morestuff posted:

Their only retired numbers are two guys who died while on the payroll. Somehow the Hornets are in the same position. Toronto just waiting on someone to croak

No Kyle Lowry don't die your fat rear end is so sexy Aha

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

morestuff posted:

Here's the kicker: only one of those retired numbers is even a number. Malik Sealy, #2, and Flip Saunders, no number.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Gotta love nepotism

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

morestuff posted:

This is killing me

https://twitter.com/timberwolves/status/1363703377247555590?s=21

Looks like he’s about to be slimed

Flip Saunders Joins Cast of iCarly Reboot Series

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The Pistons started Dennis Smith at pg tonight, because Delon Wright is hurt. Dutchy and Doltos immediately understand. Dennis Smith Jr is at best a 7 minutes per game player. He sunk the team.

Detroit was getting a little bit too competitive with Wright starting, so I guess some horrible Smith games are necessary to finish the tank. Saben Lee stepped up and looked good, and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets the start.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dejan Bimble posted:

Saunders was helping them not give the warriors a pick this year by keeping the wolves firmly at the bottom of the league. The pick is top 3 protected. I can't find what the protection are if it doesn't convey this year. Does anyone know?

You can't find them because there are none

Geo Fixer posted:

Good now replace the owner.

He's actually working on selling the team! But it's going slowly because of a bunch of dumb poo poo he's trying to include in the deal that isn't "must keep the team in Minnesota" (which he's also putting in the deal but that's good)

Saunders was super obviously in way over his head and it bums me out that there's no way to keep him around as an assistant since the players (especially KAT) really like him.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Why couldn't they just demote him to assistant? Would that be too embarassing?

As an aside, Julius Randle is the oldest looking 26 year old I've ever seen in my life.

Le Saboteur fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 22, 2021

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I can't remember a coach in any sport being demoted instead of outright fired

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

The Pistons started Dennis Smith at pg tonight, because Delon Wright is hurt. Dutchy and Doltos immediately understand. Dennis Smith Jr is at best a 7 minutes per game player. He sunk the team.

Detroit was getting a little bit too competitive with Wright starting, so I guess some horrible Smith games are necessary to finish the tank. Saben Lee stepped up and looked good, and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets the start.

DSJ just bums me out. He wasn't particularly good in Dallas but he was very young and flashed enough that I can envision the alternate path where he's the undersized bucket-getter next to Luka. Instead Jalen Brunson's riding that wave and DSJ is one of the absolute worst players in the league

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Le Saboteur posted:

As an aside, Julius Randle is the oldest looking 26 year old I've ever seen in my life.

I mean 26 year old LeBron looked 26 year old Julius old

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I saw Minnesota play a few times and it did not seem to be a coaching problem . But they are easy to fire.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Le Saboteur posted:

the celtics will retire the number of anyone who ate a hotdog on the bench of a title team but them retiring his number with only 5 years on the team is super telling of how much fans and coaches loved kg everywhere he went

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

Le Saboteur posted:

[Img-GregOden.jpg]

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Friends, I have watched zero basketball in 2021 and am finally starting to feel like I’m missing out. I lost any interest in the Pistons tank job when Killian Hayes went out and the lack of atmosphere feels weirder now than it did when I was starved for sports in the bubble. I want to try to get back into it a bit, if not immediately then after the all-star break at least.

Have you all gotten used to the weird environment? Are any teams appointment television this year? Anything I need to know generally? I keep up with this thread so I know important things like the Harden trade, the bad virus response, and the Jazz being in first place.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Le Saboteur posted:

I'm pretty sure that's due to KG refusing to attend until Glen Taylor is gone.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Henchman of Santa posted:

Have you all gotten used to the weird environment? Are any teams appointment television this year? Anything I need to know generally? I keep up with this thread so I know important things like the Harden trade, the bad virus response, and the Jazz being in first place.

The Raptors might actually be good now, having given prominent roles to Chris Boucher and DeAndre Bembry. Bembry has even been the starting point guard with Lowry out. Yuta Watanabe had a prominent role, too, but Anthony Edwards killed him and his ancestors. Nevertheless, the Raptors are still appointment viewing.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

euphronius posted:

I saw Minnesota play a few times and it did not seem to be a coaching problem . But they are easy to fire.
That DLo and KAT have played a total of 5 games together isn't on Saunders, nor was the mismatch of scheme and talent that saw Culver, Martin, and Napier average 3 3s a game (on 11 attempts...) in 2020.

On the other hand: He was both losing games and likely diminishing trade value with how he handled rotations and, on a team with minimal offensive talent, somehow oversaw a 4 game stretch of closeish games where KAT had (combined!) 9 FGA in the 4th quarter-including 1 with 0 and 1 with 2.

Going to be real curious to see how the locker room (and the other coaches) reacts to bringing in Finch instead of promoting Vanterpool at least for the interim.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
The TWolves are a bad team and swapping coaches isn’t going to help anything. Hard to get out from under giving Wiggins all that money and hoping a super average player like DLo will change your fortunes.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Friends, I have watched zero basketball in 2021 and am finally starting to feel like I’m missing out. I lost any interest in the Pistons tank job when Killian Hayes went out and the lack of atmosphere feels weirder now than it did when I was starved for sports in the bubble. I want to try to get back into it a bit, if not immediately then after the all-star break at least.

it's sort of normal now? i miss crowd noise but it's not super vital to my enjoyment of basketball.

the hornets are very fun when everything's clicking and lamelo makes for great tv, the lakers and clippers are both very entertaining, christian wood is fun to watch in houston if that's not too painful as a pistons fan, the nets make every game they play way too close for comfort, the bulls have their moments where they look like a real actual basketball team and zach lavine has been phenomenal, jokic has been insane, the pacers look really, really good, memphis is still filled with young talent, annnnnd that's about it

it's a weird season, everyone's really inconsistent and the short offseason has made everyone look... sloppier. there are only two teams in the top 10 of defensive and offensive efficiency (jazz and bucks) and generally speaking the teams bringing back the largest contingents of their cores (blazers, nuggets, jazz, lakers, sixers) have looked a lot steadier than teams trying to integrate new pieces or replace lost ones (heat, warriors, raptors, wizards)

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
well drat

https://twitter.com/NBACobwebs/status/1363863777037455364

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

The Nets are probably the closest the league is to appointment viewing, assuming that Durant, Irving, and Harden are all playing.

They may score 200 points, or they may lose to the T-Wolves.... who knows!

a new study bible! fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 22, 2021

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I’m thinking Lakers-Jazz on Wednesday is gonna be a good starting point to dive back in.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I’m thinking Lakers-Jazz on Wednesday is gonna be a good starting point to dive back in.

Thursday could also be a decent day with Mavs/PHI, LAC/MEM, and NOP/MIL

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

AD being out means that game won't be the WCF preview as hoped, but it'll still be a good game. Suns are a fun team too, Blazers/PHX today should be a good game.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

Lol and people have the gall to complain about how nobody plays defense anymore

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?
I've got to say i'm impressed by the Nets win streak. How did they beat the full strength Clippers on the road? I'm going to have to watch highlights. Just a quick look at the box score shows they shot terrible from 3 and under 70% from the charity stripe.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

There should be a rule that allows a dunk to be worth 3 points natively. Perhaps an NBA Street style trick system?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

chilihead posted:

I've got to say i'm impressed by the Nets win streak. How did they beat the full strength Clippers on the road? I'm going to have to watch highlights. Just a quick look at the box score shows they shot terrible from 3 and under 70% from the charity stripe.

Paul George made a lot of weird mistakes

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

a new study bible! posted:

There should be a rule that allows a dunk to be worth 3 points natively. Perhaps an NBA Street style trick system?
Based on the height differential of the dunker and tallest contesting defender. Anything over 5" is automatically 3 points. Anything with a 5" or greater advantage for the dunker is only 1.

Otherwise using the Serrano Disrespectful Dunk index.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Are we bringing back Kim Jong-Il rules?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Paracaidas posted:

Based on the height differential of the dunker and tallest contesting defender. Anything over 5" is automatically 3 points. Anything with a 5" or greater advantage for the dunker is only 1.

There should be a penalty for ever inch over 6'10 the dunker is, and a bonus for being under 6'2.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Dejan Bimble posted:

He's one of the worst PGs I've ever seen and we still have Frankie Smokes. DSJ looks utterly scared with the ball in his hands, dribbling, driving the basket, can't shoot. It's just sad because you can tell in college he had the confidence and his athleticism isn't that bad.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

chilihead posted:

They had a shitload of points at the rim because Harden and Kyrie could get wherever they wanted, and the Clippers turned the ball over a ton.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

dokmo posted:

There should be a penalty for ever inch over 6'10 the dunker is, and a bonus for being under 6'2.
:hmmyes:

I would vote for accrual like technicals or soccer cards, with suspensions for getting wrecked by point guards too often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
I think a basket should only count if it hits the backboard first before it goes through the, uh, what do you call it, basketball ring