Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Good lord, I know it's mentioned on virtually every page but for the love of got GET THE COPYINSERTERS mod!! I just finished building everything required to do 6 white cubes/second BY HAND and the thought of scaling up to the full 30/s made my wrists ache. I gave in and got Copyinserters (and AdvancedBuildDestruct) and now feel like a complete idiot for ever not using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Is there a chance of it breaking your save?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

forbidden dialectics posted:

Good lord, I know it's mentioned on virtually every page but for the love of got GET THE COPYINSERTERS mod!! I just finished building everything required to do 6 white cubes/second BY HAND and the thought of scaling up to the full 30/s made my wrists ache. I gave in and got Copyinserters (and AdvancedBuildDestruct) and now feel like a complete idiot for ever not using it.

I had this exact experience yesterday

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Shipon posted:

Modding any game through unofficial means runs this risk, but it should be pretty safe to use the copy inserters mod.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Shipon posted:

The mods? I mean there's always a risk so just alternate between two files. Realistically though you should never have a problem with how the mods are implemented.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Shipon posted:

If you don’t use it you will break your wrist. I feel like I’m on my way to a repetitive stress injury.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Shipon posted:

No worse than the chance of the game itself breaking your save; my save file size is up to ~380MB, and apparently at 2GB it hard breaks. The issue has to do with how the dyson sphere cells are stored in memory; i don't think the game designers intended you to build a sphere with 1500 nodes, for example, which I am currently doing :shepface:

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
My first dyson sphere around my home star is very close to being complete (granted using the "cost efficient" model in one of the guides that's generating about 8 GW) and my save file is just shy of 80 MB. How big are your installations that they're using upwards of 300 MB?

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Building poo poo on multiple worlds in multiple star systems also seems to balloon it.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I hate making sulfuric acid, and anything involving chemical plants is super slow

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

LifeSunDeath posted:

I hate making sulfuric acid, and anything involving chemical plants is super slow

get far enough in research and then go to another world and just pump that fuckin poo poo right out of the ocean

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

Building poo poo on multiple worlds in multiple star systems also seems to balloon it.

That's what I thought at first, too, but it's definitely related to designating a particular piece of the shell as a "Dyson Shell" with the tool in the editor. I have planet-spanning factories on something like 20 planets, and until I started building my big Dyson Sphere I never had a single dip in framerate; after I did the insanely tedious clicking in the editor designating all the enclosed frame areas as "shells", I started getting ~24 FPS (~48 "ticks"/second) in the system where my massive (over 1500 nodes) sphere is; as soon as I warp a sufficient distance away for it to move into whatever "background" process handles all of the out-of-system updates, my framerate immediately jumps back up to 144 (which I have set as my max). People in the official Discord theorize that it has to do with how the Dyson Shell class object stores coordinates in some kind of static data structure vs. dynamically generating it based on some kind of compressed data stored in memory. It's probably easily fixable and likely a symptom of the fact that this loving incredible game was developed by 5 people in ~18 months.

forbidden dialectics fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Feb 21, 2021

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008

My awful first base, abandoned as soon as I could get out of the system. Being cute with making a factorio-style bus for everything made it more belts than anything useful.

My second home, on a planet with Sulfuric acid lakes. This planet still produces all the research cubes and some other intermediates but I abandoned it too because I boxed everything in and scaling up as I got to launching rockets was a nightmare.

Logistics for everything! Since the framerate is starting to disagree with this planet (or maybe the huge dyson sphere close to its orbit) I've built huge smelting arrays and quantum chip/processor/engine factories on other planets in the system, leading to some light traffic.

This game is so pretty, which is good because I'll have to leave it running for days for the dyson sphere I set up to complete.

My save is ~350mb with stuff on twelve or so systems. Saving takes quite a while, and the framerate has fairly frequent dips - sometimes into the single digits when build mode is open or I place a bunch of buildings - but I'm playing on a laptop so it's not overly shocking. The sphere is 60,000 units with 58 nodes currently.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Takanago posted:

get far enough in research and then go to another world and just pump that fuckin poo poo right out of the ocean

OH poo poo THEY HAVE SULFURIC ACID OCEANS?????? This game keeps making me frustrated when I want to explore but also keeps giving me a reason to. Great poo poo. Also my starter system sucks tbh, but I don't want to start over, I just have this feeling somewhere out there is a great system.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

LifeSunDeath posted:

OH poo poo THEY HAVE SULFURIC ACID OCEANS?????? This game keeps making me frustrated when I want to explore but also keeps giving me a reason to. Great poo poo. Also my starter system sucks tbh, but I don't want to start over, I just have this feeling somewhere out there is a great system.

Yup. Once you get outside of your starting session and Ashen worlds can have sulfuric oceans that you just slurp on up for infinite H2SO4.

Honestly though I don't mind making Sulfuric Acid that much. The oil product I can't stand is Plastics/Organic crystals. Thankfully there's also deposits of Organic Crystals just waiting to be picked up out there.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, ultimately the only thing you truly need oil for is plastic. Everything else has an intermediary that can be subbed out by a rare mining spot.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Arcturas posted:

Yeah, ultimately the only thing you truly need oil for is plastic. Everything else has an intermediary that can be subbed out by a rare mining spot.

Honestly I've never used my oil than I could have gotten from my home planet. Once I got interstellar logistics the only thing I needed it for was to supplement my hydrogen... but I quickly have more of that then I can use as I ramp up fire ice -> graphene production.

I feel like you can mostly ignore oil completely once you can import fire ice, organic crystals, and acid oceans.

I wouldn't be surprised if at some point during early access they introduce fluid mechanics (i.e. pipes) and introduce some revisions to make the oil chain more important (and hopefully less annoying, cause right now the fact it becomes irrelevant seems like a good thing)

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

LifeSunDeath posted:

Also my starter system sucks tbh, but I don't want to start over, I just have this feeling somewhere out there is a great system.

Why does it suck? I think the only big difference the starter systems have is whether or not fire ice is available. I guess the distance to your titanium/silicon planet from your starting planet is also a factor. Other than that, I don't think there's going to be much of a difference. No other rare resources beyond the guaranteed oil and potential fire-ice will spawn in the starting system.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

To me this game seems perfect for keeping your starter base and not deleting it.

I just plopped down a few logistics tower demanding the basic iron/magnets/copper/stone to replace the old veins that have run dry and let it keep piddling around generating a few extra products for my malls.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

To me this game seems perfect for keeping your starter base and not deleting it.

I just plopped down a few logistics tower demanding the basic iron/magnets/copper/stone to replace the old veins that have run dry and let it keep piddling around generating a few extra products for my malls.

The only time stuff I've really deleted from my starter base is stuff that just basically stopped because resources ran out and I either deleted to replace because it wasn't quite vestigial (looking at you blue science line), I had a specific reason why the space was useful for something else, or to shoehorn a logistics tower or two in to keep things running in the place of the exhausted node(s).

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Well now that I got warpers, I decided to go get some outposts ready. I had to fly out about 30 LY, but I got to a neutron star.

This one planet has significantly cleared up a lot of the more annoying bits in my lines. The optical crystals alone freed up my titanium crystal lines and let me redirect them to give a massive boost to my yellow science output.

Granted, I looked at my charts, and it turns out I'm burning more than I mine, so I'll have to make another long trip out to hook up some more miners.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

BisbyWorl posted:

Well now that I got warpers, I decided to go get some outposts ready. I had to fly out about 30 LY, but I got to a neutron star.

This one planet has significantly cleared up a lot of the more annoying bits in my lines. The optical crystals alone freed up my titanium crystal lines and let me redirect them to give a massive boost to my yellow science output.

Granted, I looked at my charts, and it turns out I'm burning more than I mine, so I'll have to make another long trip out to hook up some more miners.

One of the lessons I learned early on is to take a LOT of miners, lots of belts and two interstellar logistics stations to any planet I want to exploit, set the stations up at the poles and mine everything there in one trip with all the mines going into cardinal conveyors. Saves a lot of time; although it would be even quicker to bring lots of planetary logistic towers and drones and ignore conveyors almost entirely.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Aethernet posted:

One of the lessons I learned early on is to take a LOT of miners, lots of belts and two interstellar logistics stations to any planet I want to exploit, set the stations up at the poles and mine everything there in one trip with all the mines going into cardinal conveyors. Saves a lot of time; although it would be even quicker to bring lots of planetary logistic towers and drones and ignore conveyors almost entirely.

Putting belts, splitters, sorters, miners, smelters, assemblers, and logistic airplanes/spaceships (and power poles) on interstellar logistics towers was one of the best decisions I made. Now I warp to a faraway star, drop an interstellar tower requesting warpers & fuel cells (dueterium/antimatter depending on where I am at), hook up a few power plants, and start setting up giant mines everywhere feeding into local logistics towers that feed a few central interstellar logistics towers. It's amazing.

(I did other stuff too, but these are the ones I find myself using the most.)

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

My homie who I recommended the game to, but was certain he would bounce off it, has now gotten way farther than me and made way cooler looking poo poo than I've even imagined:

Good game.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Whats the thought process on where do use planetary logistics towers or interstellar towers? I'm to the point where I have access to both and I'm building new, larger, modules that produce various stuff. I'm wondering whether to have the outputs going into planetary or interstellar.

I could see just using interstellar for everything. I could see using planetary for most things, then just using interstellar when I actually know I need something exported. But I'd be interested to hear what people are doing generally.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
I use interstellar for interplanetary/stellar transport and for items that require more than two input items to make, and planetary for said simpler item manufacturing as well as ore mining outposts (that then drone feed more central storage/interplanetary transport).

Even with the new logi sliders to more finely control which interstellar ships get to use warpers, I find it best to feed resources from offworld into centralized interstellar towers, that then feed what they receive out to local towers, and the same in reverse for the supplying worlds.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

I use interstellar for pretty much everything, as an interstellar tower can replicate a planetary tower with a few configuration changes, but turning a planetary tower into an interstellar tower will involve pulling everything out of the tower and re-wiring the belts. (and the closer packing of planetary towers might work against you as you might have to move a number of other things to upgrade) It just doesn't seem worth maintaining an inventory slot for.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
On my latest restart there is a big valley you fall into getting enough yellow science to get warp capability.

I just can't make enough oil to satiate plastic, organic crystal, and grapevine, and nanotubes.

I thought having a gas giant for h2 and fireice was great, but it's just a very delicate balancing act between too much h2 it clogs the system or it runs out, making the thermal power go offline and depower everything.

I think I prefer it on an ice world with titanium to direct make the alternate graphine and nanotubes vs pulling it local, and I ended up shipping it to my current in system planet to do just that. But the planet has so much power that I just can burn hydrogen fast enough.

Sure I can put it into deut, but I have 4 tanks of it already, turned into a box full of rods and now making warpers..

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Roundboy posted:

On my latest restart there is a big valley you fall into getting enough yellow science to get warp capability.

I just can't make enough oil to satiate plastic, organic crystal, and grapevine, and nanotubes.

I thought having a gas giant for h2 and fireice was great, but it's just a very delicate balancing act between too much h2 it clogs the system or it runs out, making the thermal power go offline and depower everything.

I think I prefer it on an ice world with titanium to direct make the alternate graphine and nanotubes vs pulling it local, and I ended up shipping it to my current in system planet to do just that. But the planet has so much power that I just can burn hydrogen fast enough.

Sure I can put it into deut, but I have 4 tanks of it already, turned into a box full of rods and now making warpers..

You can just leave the gas giant Hydrogen alone. It will keep making Fire Ice for you. They don’t block like an oil refiner or whatever.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
So, fractionators! After my most recent restart when I went to set up deuterium production I decided to challenge myself and go all the way - 100 fractionators in loop with an external feed loop to convert a full mk3 belt (30/s, 1800/min) of hydrogen to deuterium.

This is a segment of what I came up with:

And it didn't work properly. It did work in that it produced way more deuterium than I actually *needed*, but the output belt had empty spots and deuterium production hovered between 1400/min and 1440/min. This is about the point I forgot this is a game about building dyson spheres and started experimenting with belts and fractionators.

I built a new design, which although visually similar was much more painful to build (literally so in the case of one of my fingers):

The difference is the belt merges are done with splitters instead of T junctions. Performance was better, but still short of ~1800/min hovering between 1700/min and 1750/min.

So my takeaways from this:

1) T junctions do not merge at speed with the fast belts.
2) I'm not sure if it is possible to achieve the theoretical 0.3/s hydrogen to deuterium conversion with fractionators. There is some serious flickering with the icons on the building. There may be some processing tick interactions that prevent the maximum conversion rate from occurring.

I guess the next test would be to run a single fractionator in a setup with out any loops, just running the contents of a giant hydrogen storage tank through without actively recycling it. I'm not sure this is a great test though as I've observed some funny signs that the output of the fluid storage is not always perfectly compressed. More experiments! What is a dyson sphere again?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
I'll use regular logistics towers for most intraplanetary stuff but sometimes the 5 slots comes in real handy.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I want to be the physics consultant for the devs so I can get rid some of the tech tree tooltips & change dyson sphere power from ~10^10 to ~10^26 watts. Thanks in advance devs. While you're at it, a 2.5x power bonus for the biggest o-type is pathetic add a zero or two to the end there.

but seriously, this game would be 100x cooler if the developers knew more about physics because the real version of any of this game is way cooler than the game which is already cool

Khorne fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 22, 2021

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Khorne posted:

I want to be the physics consultant for the devs so I can get rid some of the tech tree tooltips & change dyson sphere power from ~10^10 to ~10^26 watts. Thanks in advance devs. While you're at it, a 2.5x power bonus for the biggest o-type is pathetic add a zero or two to the end there.

but seriously, this game would be 100x cooler if the developers knew more about physics because the real version of any of this game is way cooler than the game which is already cool
It would basically eliminate any need for any sort of power management if they scaled the dyson sphere up to the proper power, so I understand why they did it from a gameplay perspective.

I'm sure someone can easily mod in a multiplier for the dyson sphere nodes to give basically infinite energy.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I mean, if there's one thing to criticise then it would be reweighing the same atom of hydrogen until you find you made a mistake the last 99 times, oops there is an extra neutron, and it was actually deuterium all along. The realistic version would have you only able to fractionate once.

But you will claw my fractionator loops out of my cold dead hands.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Bug Squash posted:

I mean, if there's one thing to criticise then it would be reweighing the same atom of hydrogen until you find you made a mistake the last 99 times, oops there is an extra neutron, and it was actually deuterium all along. The realistic version would have you only able to fractionate once.

But you will claw my fractionator loops out of my cold dead hands.

Congratulations you now have to do a memory check on every single hydrogen unit to see if it's been checked before. Hello memory bloat!

I understand it's not realistic but I also understand the technical reasons of why they allow you to keep rolling the dice.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Alkydere posted:

Congratulations you now have to do a memory check on every single hydrogen unit to see if it's been checked before. Hello memory bloat!

I understand it's not realistic but I also understand the technical reasons of why they allow you to keep rolling the dice.

That's the obvious reason why it's done this way, yes. If the Devs were to start trying to make the game ~~~realistic~~~, then they'd probably just scrap fractionators. I'm just glad they're not making bad decisions unlike say Cataclysm Dark Days Ahead which is determined to destroy itself under the yolk of realism.

In other news, I've just warped for the first time :toot:. It's gonna be a bit until I've got my interstellar logistics up so it's mostly a side base I rock back and forth to mass produce graphite for now, but it's stunning how good and different everything looks when it's a dim red sun up in the sky rather than the default sun.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Alkydere posted:

It is actually quite easy to implement, just not a great idea for game design reasons. Just make a separate item for "hydrogen, isotope unknown" and "protium". Problem is you would then need to duplicate recipes as hydrogen/protium/deuterium should be interchangeable for many recipes which require hydrogen, excluding the fractionator.

It also wouldn't make for very interesting gameplay, you just wouldn't bother with the fractionator.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Feb 22, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Alkydere posted:

You could do that by making the fractionator output "fractionated hydrogen" which is functionally identical and works in all recipes other than the fractionator.

E: though I agree that I don't really think it would be good gameplay wise.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Khorne posted:

You don't get to use the power for yourself. Your entire job is to build a Dyson Sphere for the people back home to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Khorne posted:

They’re keeping the energy output low to keep game balance. If you want an in game explanation just assume they’re sending most of the energy generated by the sphere back to the simulation you came from, since that’s the reason you’re building in the first place.