Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I built three bases, in the end.

One in the meadows with the community. We had plans to do community things but what that actually meant was "we'll just keep moving our stuff away and not tell anyone" so gently caress em I guess.

One by the swamp/black forest/mountain/plains (i found a tiny, tiny meadow in between all five) and its a loving warzone. This is where I actually live.

One plains base, but that's a goblin tower that i've cleared out, put a moat around, walled off and use it to just farm flax and barley with impunity.

I have tons of little outposts everywhere. I don't think you should be too attached to any one place until you get a bunch of smelters and farmland down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Behotti
Apr 30, 2008
Fun Shoe

Loezi posted:

(from reddit)

This isn't getting enough love, and that puts me at a loss.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Valheim is cool because it's making me rethink how I play survival crafting games. In something like The Forest or Stranded Deep, once my base was built it wasn't going anywhere, because I'd get reduced or no materials from destroying my stuff. Valheim says, "gently caress it. Part of the fun is building stuff. You get all your materials back.". I constantly forget this and leave a built up space without taking anything.

Small outposts are great though. Just a couple chests and a workbench for small projects. It's also nice that you can repair your tools at a workbench, so after you've built it once, it's yours forever. I didn't know that at the beginning so I have a chest in my first outpost just filled with stone axes.

Also the ability to set my own map markers is great. I wish I'd known about it in the first 10 hours.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Untrustable posted:

I didn't know that at the beginning so I have a chest in my first outpost just filled with stone axes.

Now that I've started sailing, I've been meaning to take those axes and scrap clothing and send them to Njǫrd's locker as tribute, hoping for calmer seas.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

The excess axes came in handy when I died from falling off the top of my base after removing my bed to put in stairs.

When do I get to display all these trophies I'm amassing? I've got a whole box full of skeleton heads and poo poo that I can't put up.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Untrustable posted:

The excess axes came in handy when I died from falling off the top of my base after removing my bed to put in stairs.

When do I get to display all these trophies I'm amassing? I've got a whole box full of skeleton heads and poo poo that I can't put up.

When you get bronze for an axe and nails, you can use Fine Wood to make item displays

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?

FrickenMoron posted:

The minor stamina mead is basically a mana potion for your stamina with a cooldown period, the tasty mead will buff your natural stamina regeneration by 300% for a while.

Isn't "a while" just 10 seconds? I tried making tasty mead and when the buff only lasted a few seconds I decided it wasn't worth making more at my current state of progression.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Abisteen posted:

Isn't "a while" just 10 seconds? I tried making tasty mead and when the buff only lasted a few seconds I decided it wasn't worth making more at my current state of progression.

The one spot I found the 10 second tasty buff really handy was fighting Bonemass where you just need to wail on him then retreat and recover quickly and overcome the wet debuff too.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I really like the stamina pots for when i'm chopping in the plains. Getting jumped mid tree isn't fun.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Last night I took your advice to heart and crafted Tasty Mead and it's awesome when you're out of stamina and need a quick 10 second burst.

I can see this being very helpful and will keep a stack around!

Running out of inventory space though...

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Progress on converting the Fuling encampment is going well :black101:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Untrustable posted:

Valheim is cool because it's making me rethink how I play survival crafting games. In something like The Forest or Stranded Deep, once my base was built it wasn't going anywhere, because I'd get reduced or no materials from destroying my stuff. Valheim says, "gently caress it. Part of the fun is building stuff. You get all your materials back.". I constantly forget this and leave a built up space without taking anything.

Small outposts are great though. Just a couple chests and a workbench for small projects. It's also nice that you can repair your tools at a workbench, so after you've built it once, it's yours forever. I didn't know that at the beginning so I have a chest in my first outpost just filled with stone axes.

Also the ability to set my own map markers is great. I wish I'd known about it in the first 10 hours.

How do you repair tools? I've only beaten the first deer boss so I'm assuming there's a repair station I haven't unlocked? Im ending up chucking 0 durability tools into a pile because I can't break them down or repair them

Portals sound cool, can't wait to unlock those

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

How do you repair tools? I've only beaten the first deer boss so I'm assuming there's a repair station I haven't unlocked? Im ending up chucking 0 durability tools into a pile because I can't break them down or repair them

Portals sound cool, can't wait to unlock those

the normal crafting bench has a button.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

this game looks extremely good sometimes. the creature AI especially can seem so naturalistic

Fuzzysocksucker
Aug 20, 2005
My first base is still going strong even if its a disorganized mess from learning the game.

The time I consolidated my storage from 'here and there' to HERE.

My great-ish hall. I don't know. The sea serpent head might be a touch to much?

I don't know, but gently caress you for trying to eat my boat.

Protip: sea serpents have fixed spawns, you should find them and farm them for serpent meat stew.

edit: whoops vvv thanks

Fuzzysocksucker fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 22, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Link the jpg/png, not the imgur post. :ssh:

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Anyone know if difficulty scaling is server-wide or location? Like if I'm soloing and there's 3 other peeps on the server but across the world, is stuff going to be 1-person difficulty or 4?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

God, the bosses are such a loving slog. I just got to Moder, and who the gently caress said "Hey, you know the cliff racer bullshit we've been inflicting on you for hours? What if you just had to do that for ten minutes?"

The first two biomes have been easy 7.5/10 for me, and as much as I loving hate them the second two are still prolly 7/10 at worst, but holy loving poo poo I despise everything to do with combat in this game.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Nosre posted:

Anyone know if difficulty scaling is server-wide or location? Like if I'm soloing and there's 3 other peeps on the server but across the world, is stuff going to be 1-person difficulty or 4?

According to steam forum datamining it's calculated for every player in a 200 tile radius present, but take it with a grain of salt.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Sometimes I have a great urge to go full Ferngully and absolutely raze the swamps. gently caress that place forever and always

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Untrustable posted:

I love this for making changes to current structures, but I'll never reclaim my old ones for materials. I love in these games making progressively better bases, then eventually coming back to old areas and laughing at how pitiful my early structures were.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Either something horribly broke my Karve while I wasnt watching or it despawned upon login today, at least I cant find my boat at my homebase anymore... Speaking of.
How exactly does fishing work? I cant seem to catch anything with the rod/bait.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

FrickenMoron posted:

How exactly does fishing work? I cant seem to catch anything with the rod/bait.

You want to find spots in the water with fish swimming around then cast your line, just wait a bit and watch to see if any notice your bait, if no one is showing interest slowly reel in a bit then stop and rinse, repeat. Eventually a fish should bite the bait, you will get a HOOKED status message to prompt you to start reeling, just keep reeling the line in until you catch the fish.

There seem to be 3 fish sizes, first tier gives 1 fish, second gives 2 fish, and the third gives 4 fish when caught. I've had the best luck finding the 2nd and 3rd tier fish where the shallow sections of ocean drop to deeper ocean.

Last thing, due to the amount of stamina reeling in the fish consumes I recommend trying to keep your casts short (10-18m) while also keeping yourself fed so you have a lot of stamina to work with.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
How do I build a good dock? the game prevents you from connecting walls/platforms wiithout solid ground. Do i just have to raise ground in a long line for the platforms anyways?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Oof, having beaten the fifth boss can trigger Fuling base attacks.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

FrickenMoron posted:

According to steam forum datamining it's calculated for every player in a 200 tile radius present, but take it with a grain of salt.

ok cool thanks

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
My friend can't get into the game anymore. When he launches it he gets the Start Game, Options, etc screen but it constantly flashes between that and the character selection screen. It's like he's rapidly clicking and pressing escape to back out over and over. He reinstalled but still nothing. Anyone heard of this?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

KingKapalone posted:

My friend can't get into the game anymore. When he launches it he gets the Start Game, Options, etc screen but it constantly flashes between that and the character selection screen. It's like he's rapidly clicking and pressing escape to back out over and over. He reinstalled but still nothing. Anyone heard of this?

Ask him if he has a game controller plugged in. I started Valheim up after finishing up a session of Rocket League only to see the game menu flipping out.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Ask him if he has a game controller plugged in. I started Valheim up after finishing up a session of Rocket League only to see the game menu flipping out.

Yep that was it. Thanks.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

So I found out why mosquitoes are bad.

I was off in my shiny new boat to find a swamp biome so I could build a beachhead with a portal and start working my way inland. By the time I found a swamp coast, it was starting to get dark. At this point I could have turned back down the coast and headed for some black forest I'd seen a minute or two back and plopped down a temporary portal, zipped back to my base and had a safe sleep. This is what a smart viking would have done. I am not a smart viking.

I kept pressing up the coast looking for a safe-ish spot in the swamp to hop out and throw up a quick portal so I could avoid the backtracking. But every spot I passed either looked too jagged or too waterlogged or too full of ugly monsters. At this point it was starting to get really dark, and the perpetual swamp rain and fog was killing visibility. So I didn't notice that I wasn't exactly on a coast line any more, instead I had found my way into a steadily narrowing river.

So while I was squinting through the rain and dark trying to pick out a good spot on the swamp coast, there was a plains biome literally creeping up behind me. I heard something buzzing a second before my boat started taking 100ish damage hits. Before I could really figure out what was going on, it broke into pieces around me, and then I died in one stab. And it was only at this point that I had a brief glimpse of the mighty beast that had wrecked my poo poo in under 10 seconds, 'deathsquito'. Very funny, Valheim.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I'm really, really unhappy with the spawn rate of swamp dungeons. I've been to 5 swamp biomes total all over the world so far and found one.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

It took me 7 or 8 swamps before I found a single crypt. Then the next swamp I found had like 10 of them and I haven't even explored the whole thing. I think the theory that crypt spawns are tied to swamp size is most likely correct.

If the one crypt you found had the runestone that points you toward the boss, try checking the boss location. The biggest swamp I have seen thus far was the one where the boss was located.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Do they have any eta on a controller fix? My dude just spins around unless I disable game pad input (despite no game pad being attached to this computer). I totally get the game being made off kb+m but it would be nice to steamlink to the game on my tablet and mine some copper or whatever during slow times at work.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

FrickenMoron posted:

I'm really, really unhappy with the spawn rate of swamp dungeons. I've been to 5 swamp biomes total all over the world so far and found one.

There's definitely some tweaks that need to be done to worldgen. The first swamp I found was this narrow, long strip of land along the edge of an island with exactly zero dungeons despite being massively long. Then a smaller swamp in another island with a roughly squareish shape has dungeons everywhere, I can stand anywhere in that swamp and have at least 3 dungeons in my line of sight.

Anyway, I killed Bonemass and started doing mountain and this biome is way easier/less infuriating than the swamp by miles. I honestly think they should be swapped in the progression, the mountain is very chill (:tipshat:) once you have a wolf pelt cloak while the swamp is still loving hell with all the water and poison.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

The hardest thing about the mountain is not being able to hit a wolf directly in front of you because it happens to be 5 inches higher on the incline you're standing on. The game desperately needs some form of swing aiming.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

CRAYON posted:

It took me 7 or 8 swamps before I found a single crypt. Then the next swamp I found had like 10 of them and I haven't even explored the whole thing. I think the theory that crypt spawns are tied to swamp size is most likely correct.

If the one crypt you found had the runestone that points you toward the boss, try checking the boss location. The biggest swamp I have seen thus far was the one where the boss was located.

I actually found the boss altar in my first swamp. It's a tiny pocket, all the swamps i found are on the smaller side but only one had even one crypt. The boss area has nothing other than its altar.

My elder is on a somewhat small peninsula too.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

CRAYON posted:

That was my experience, the swamp I found on the central island had no crypts and the second one I found was huge and had 10+ crypts plus a Bonemass altar

can Bonemass spawn in multiple swamps? I've definitely found multiple Elder altars

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I just built my first Karve and went for a sail and the music kicking in for the first time was so good. Much like pretty much everything else in this game. I really appreciate that the worldgen produces rocky coasts and barely sunken hazards.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
The first swamp I explored was a tiny one on the south end of our starter island region that contained exactly one Crypt. We found a rune that put Bonemass' altar on our map while there and when I went to scout out that one it's a giant area that so far has 12 identified Crypts, 4 vents, and is still not fully explored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

CRAYON posted:

The hardest thing about the mountain is not being able to hit a wolf directly in front of you because it happens to be 5 inches higher on the incline you're standing on. The game desperately needs some form of swing aiming.

Holy poo poo this. Having the character always swing straight ahead works most of the time, but it's really annoying when it fails.