Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Code Jockey posted:

Isn't POW*MIA bullshit anyway, meant to cover up the insane amount of casualties in Vietnam by saying "uhh lots of them are POWs, we're not getting completely wrecked over there, yeah that's it"? I remember reading about that somewhere

As someone mentioned earlier, it's based on post-Vietnam conspiracy theories, people looking to blame civilian leadership for losing the war, and politicians not being able to distinguish between Rambo movies and reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

I really want to know what that walkie talkie is for.

STORY OF MY loving LIFE.

Which reminds me, what are the odds they've got a strict "No homos." policy on this one?

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 21, 2021

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Please tell me that somewhere there is a table like that set for Dale Earnhardt or Elvis

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

EG posted:

Here's a little more Americana from Alton.

And nothing more Americana than an empty mall:

Don't forget the local legend, Piasa bird :rock:

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

i vow to post every dog i come across :haibrower: there aren't many in the places i've been browsing. maybe time to broaden my horizons

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Dear Prudence posted:

This is from pages ago, but is this on Waterman in San Bernardino next to the big cemetary?

it is!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
man this place has it all

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Aardvark! posted:

man this place has it all

does slowbeef know he has a brother from another mother who’s big into wild-West-themed steakhouses

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
1)lame it's 3 smaller steaks not one enormous steak
2)this lady won in 32 minutes

4)lol at the rule that you aren't allowed to eat leftovers in the restaurant

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I wonder how many people failed because of the salad part.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
What is that pizza cat beside her?

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Aardvark! posted:

4)lol at the rule that you aren't allowed to eat leftovers in the restaurant

well yeah, you gotta pay for a meal for your partner too

wesleywillis posted:

What is that pizza cat beside her?

looks like a pusheen plushy to me

edit: Yeah

https://shop.pusheen.com/products/pizza-pusheen-plush

$24.80 for that bad boy

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Anyway Spokane isn't big enough to have a big leagues team but we do have a minor league team called the Indians. About 15 years or so ago they went "hey, should we rebrand to be something less racist?" and they ended up working with the Spokane Indians tribe to come up with branding that was inclusive to the tribe.

The name Spokane is written in Salish on the uniforms and instead of having a caricature of a human they have a regional trout as the mascot now.

This is the first time the native words/language have appear on the uniforms of a baseball team.

This kicks so much rear end! Hell yeah!

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CPL593H posted:

going by his girth im guessing contracting manager/owner and they love walkie talkies

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Based off of his hat, I'm guessing he's the super gungho volunteer firefighter that decks out his F350 with lights and bars and always has the radio at full volume so whenever there's any traffic, he's all OH SORRY, I'M A FIREFIGHTER GOTTA KEEP THIS AROUND AT ALL TIMES

Every competent person at the fire department absolutely hates his rear end cuz he's the first to the fire but tangles the hoses every loving time and just gets in the way and makes poo poo worse just being on scene

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Aardvark! posted:

what's the deal with the lemon

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Casu Marzu posted:

Based off of his hat, I'm guessing he's the super gungho volunteer firefighter that decks out his F350 with lights and bars and always has the radio at full volume so whenever there's any traffic, he's all OH SORRY, I'M A FIREFIGHTER GOTTA KEEP THIS AROUND AT ALL TIMES

Every competent person at the fire department absolutely hates his rear end cuz he's the first to the fire but tangles the hoses every loving time and just gets in the way and makes poo poo worse just being on scene

do you think he also turns on the flashlight on his hat to EMERGENCY MODE when he's running to his truck?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

reminds me of this:

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

CPL593H posted:

As other people have said it's probably that he's part of the local volunteer fire department. Those fire departments (they're often also the only local medical first responders too) being volunteer and being in rural areas with few people don't usually have people at the fire stations waiting all the time since they might not be needed for quite a while, like maybe one or two calls a week. Since it's something that's very time sensitive though, it's quicker for the dispatchers to use radio to reach them.

When I was growing up, like 5-10% of all the guys in my home town were part of the fire department. There are definitely ones that showboat about it, especially the ones still in high school, but they generally took it pretty seriously and would kick out the useless people. They saved my parents house from burning down and got my grandpa's heart restarted when he had a bad heart attack.

Not all VFD's are good, but it might be all you've got out in the middle of nowhere. I really appreciated ours.

Juando290
Apr 22, 2007

You stopped toe curlin in the hot tub cause you heard sperms stay alive in there and you have seen Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles enough times to know how that story ends.
I know that Oregon has come up a few times already, but there are a lot of backwoods towns spread out that are peak Americana. I grew up in an unincorporated area where the high school was ok sized, but it served a 25 square mile area of small towns. My parents went to a high school about 20 miles south where there were anywhere from 8 to 12 kids in each graduating class. The "main town" of Veneta is best known for the Oregon Country Fair that is really just a hippy fest in the forest that started back in 1969... The town is fairly conservative, but the fair brings a lot of money in every year, so they accept it...but not without making fun of all the "smelly hippies" while taking their money. Most of us saw our first real naked breast on a woman at that fair, I swear.

next pic nsfw

The house my mom grew up in during the 50's/60's It was actually right next to a bar that my Grandpa owned the property it was on...It was closed by the time I was born, but I remember there was a naked lady vase I could see through the window.

and the "Hobbit House" up the hill from there

Who here remembers when they decided to blow up a whale to get rid of it's carcass? America loves blowing poo poo up!

A few more random Oregon pictures.

(I have been to this bar when I am camping more times than I would like to admit...)

This is a restaurant in the literal middle of nowhere called Cowboy Dinner Tree. You have to drive 5 miles down a road away from the town of silver lake (population has fluctuated between 29 and 104 people over the last decade) and this restaurant is the only thing on that road..after that it turns to gravel roads for many many miles.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
My favorite thing about oregon is all the ghost or near-ghost towns just loving everywhere, you dont have to go far to enter into "horror movie set" territory

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Juando290 posted:

I know that Oregon has come up a few times already, but there are a lot of backwoods towns spread out that are peak Americana. I grew up in an unincorporated area where the high school was ok sized, but it served a 25 square mile area of small towns. My parents went to a high school about 20 miles south where there were anywhere from 8 to 12 kids in each graduating class. The "main town" of Veneta is best known for the Oregon Country Fair that is really just a hippy fest in the forest that started back in 1969... The town is fairly conservative, but the fair brings a lot of money in every year, so they accept it...but not without making fun of all the "smelly hippies" while taking their money. Most of us saw our first real naked breast on a woman at that fair, I swear.

next pic nsfw

The house my mom grew up in during the 50's/60's It was actually right next to a bar that my Grandpa owned the property it was on...It was closed by the time I was born, but I remember there was a naked lady vase I could see through the window.

Who here remembers when they decided to blow up a whale to get rid of it's carcass? America loves blowing poo poo up!

(I have been to this bar when I am camping more times than I would like to admit...)

This is a restaurant in the literal middle of nowhere called Cowboy Dinner Tree. You have to drive 5 miles down a road away from the town of silver lake (population has fluctuated between 29 and 104 people over the last decade) and this restaurant is the only thing on that road..after that it turns to gravel roads for many many miles.

My sister lives in a small Oregon town and I started google mapping around it and noticed all these little communities in the middle of nowhere between mountains and the coast and thought like how the gently caress do people live out here. Some of the towns are 20 miles from any sort of gas pump, and there don't seem to be hardly any businesses in them, so I'm like how do people get supplies?

Like all these litte names on the map, there's maybe 4 houses in each and no stores

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 22, 2021

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day

Code Jockey posted:

Isn't POW*MIA bullshit anyway, meant to cover up the insane amount of casualties in Vietnam by saying "uhh lots of them are POWs, we're not getting completely wrecked over there, yeah that's it"? I remember reading about that somewhere

My uncle was a crew chief on a helicopter that got shot down in Cambodia. They recovered his remains in 93 or 94. There are likely lots of MIAs because they weren't supposed to be operating in the areas where they were killed and that complicated recovery. Also, using it to lie about the numbers would not be out of character for leadership at the time.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

LifeSunDeath posted:

My sister lives in a small Oregon town and I started google mapping around it and noticed all these little communities in the middle of nowhere between mountains and the coast and thought like how the gently caress do people live out here. Some of the towns are 20 miles from any sort of gas pump, and there don't seem to be hardly any businesses in them, so I'm like how do people get supplies?

Like all these litte names on the map, there's maybe 4 houses in each and no stores

American: How to gently caress can anyone live 20 miles from the nearest store? How could you possibly attain the necessary supplies to sustain a life?

Also American: Welp, time for my daily 2 hour commute to the office.

Yeah I get it too, I live in a small but it's a holiday destination so we have two supermarkets and all the usual stuff. But living in some two house town with nothing but sketchy hillbilly neighbours is a step I'm probably not willing to take just yet.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Outrail posted:

American: How to gently caress can anyone live 20 miles from the nearest store? How could you possibly attain the necessary supplies to sustain a life?

Yeah I get it too, I live in a small but it's a holiday destination so we have two supermarkets and all the usual stuff. But living in some two house town with nothing but sketchy hillbilly neighbours is a step I'm probably not willing to take just yet.

My dad's family moved to a place in north central PA back in the early seventies from north New Jersey after school desegregation (:thunk:).

It got so cold in the winter there that you had to take your car battery inside with you, there were zero public services except sketchy telephone that didn't work half the time even in the nineties, and the nearest grocery store was nearly an hour one way. When winter came you didn't go anywhere for long periods of time.

Great place to land a 15 year old who was used to the New York City suburbs.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
My sister in laws are from PA and it took a lot of exposure to the outside world and college to deprogram some of the really dumbass poo poo they grew up on.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
my extended family lives either in the deep south or PA and absolutely nowhere else. Is PA the Alabama of the north?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Fun Fact: In Oregon, you're not allowed to pump your own gas.

I was very confused until I watched the orientation film:

https://i.imgur.com/Nh5ZoqD.mp4

Really cleared things up.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There's a couple of states that do that. New Jersey does. Not sure if it's a safety thing or if it's a way to add busywork jobs like the guy who had the brilliant idea to bury a bunch of coins in a field and let homeless/poors dig it up

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Outrail posted:

When I was in the Army, I was stationed in Colorado Springs, and one time my unit went to Fort Hood (Which is near Austin, TX) for a training exercise. We piled onto tour buses and did a long rear end drive down through Southern Colorado, into the Texas Panhandle and then Central Texas. We went through hundreds of miles of flat, dry and empty prairie. Sometimes we’d pass tiny towns with a few houses and almost no businesses, other than maybe a half-defunct bar. I’d jump on my phone and Google the nearest grocery store, and often it would be an hour and a half away.

I don’t think I could ever live like that. But I do really like decent sized country towns, where it’s still rural but you have some civilization and basic necessities.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 22, 2021

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Juando290 posted:

next pic nsfw

these are good. i took a picture in paisley in mosquito season once, had my hoodie held tight against everything and i was just getting swarmed with mosquitoes - absolutely covered. all over my arms, constantly swatting them out of my face, pure misery. add that to the permanent smell of alkaline lakes in the air and it's a wonder why anyone bothers to live there

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Robo Reagan posted:

There's a couple of states that do that. New Jersey does. Not sure if it's a safety thing or if it's a way to add busywork jobs like the guy who had the brilliant idea to bury a bunch of coins in a field and let homeless/poors dig it up

but what if they drop the coins from the space station and they land and are buried thanks to the power of gravity

No cost and we reenrich the communities

What now smart guy

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My dad's family moved to a place in north central PA back in the early seventies from north New Jersey after school desegregation (:thunk:).

It got so cold in the winter there that you had to take your car battery inside with you, there were zero public services except sketchy telephone that didn't work half the time even in the nineties, and the nearest grocery store was nearly an hour one way. When winter came you didn't go anywhere for long periods of time.

Great place to land a 15 year old who was used to the New York City suburbs.

Powerful post-username combo

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Robo Reagan posted:

my extended family lives either in the deep south or PA and absolutely nowhere else. Is PA the Alabama of the north?

Parts of it are similar to what you would see in the most neglected parts of West Virginia. The state is a great example of a place where the federal government should intervene and override local authority but does not.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
Pennsyltucky is a very real thing.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Robo Reagan posted:

I grew up in Pennsylvania and out of the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic states I think it has the most stark urban/rural divide. Pittsburg and Philadelphia are completely different worlds compared to the middle/North of the state. It gets rednecky out there in a weird and depressing way.

There is a larger portion of depressed and hollowed out former industrial and mining towns, compared to say central Virginia which has a lot of really nice small towns that are still vibrant. There are places like Ashland that are almost lost in time.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 22, 2021

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

colonelwest posted:

I grew up in Pennsylvania and out of the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic states I think it has the most stark urban/rural divide. Pittsburg and Philadelphia are completely different worlds compared to the middle/North of the state. It gets rednecky out there in a weird and depressing way.

There is a larger portion of depressed and hollowed out former industrial and mining towns, compared to say central Virginia which has a lot of really nice small towns that are still vibrant. There are places like Ashland that are almost lost in time.

I grew up right up the road from Ashland on Rt. 61 and that entire area is a hole. Anyone who wants better out of life than that area can provide ends up moving and what's left are people who genuinely like wallowing in the poo poo that those areas represent. It's a self-reinforcing downward spiral.

I still have a lot of family in that area but they're mostly younger and grew up in the internet area where you can shut out the world beyond your front door much more easily than I could in the nineties.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I grew up right up the road from Ashland on Rt. 61 and that entire area is a hole. Anyone who wants better out of life than that area can provide ends up moving and what's left are people who genuinely like wallowing in the poo poo that those areas represent. It's a self-reinforcing downward spiral.

I still have a lot of family in that area but they're mostly younger and grew up in the internet area where you can shut out the world beyond your front door much more easily than I could in the nineties.

drat that’s rough. I’m from Perkasie which is about an hour outside of Philly. It’s an old post-industrial town in a pretty rural area, but it has remained middle class because it’s a bedroom community for people who work in Philly.

But I have extended family in Ashland, and I have been there a few times. My great grandfather who was a Russian immigrant, died there in the early 1920’s after a coal mining accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My mom grew up in Punxsutawney and left in her early twenties and hadn't been back for 40 years until someone died

She said it was worse in a lot of ways, performatively rural, when before it was just actually the sticks. Definitely willful ignorance trump country now