Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

The Juggernaut posted:

Major breakthrough last night. I have a friend who is a crazy movie /TV series person. 300 steel case Blu ray with bonus editing room floor clippings edition + hundreds of regular blue ray bought in two years.

He refuses to watch anything old, pre 1990 is the rough cutoff line.

Last night he deemed nothing watchable on HBO max and I said let's watch blade runner. He called and went all in with 2001. I had to walk that back because while 2001 is an epic movie, I couldn't chance it back firing on me. So we watched the other, not quite as slow moving, Sci fi opus.

It was deemed good. And progress was made.

He watches *nothing* from before 1990? Is this guy only a sci fi/blockbuster kind of watcher? Like, there are a mind boggling array of great movies from before 1990.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I can’t imagine only watching movies from after 1990. I’m fascinated why, considering he’s a movie buff like you said

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

The Juggernaut posted:

Major breakthrough last night. I have a friend who is a crazy movie /TV series person. 300 steel case Blu ray with bonus editing room floor clippings edition + hundreds of regular blue ray bought in two years.

He refuses to watch anything old, pre 1990 is the rough cutoff line.

Last night he deemed nothing watchable on HBO max and I said let's watch blade runner. He called and went all in with 2001. I had to walk that back because while 2001 is an epic movie, I couldn't chance it back firing on me. So we watched the other, not quite as slow moving, Sci fi opus.

It was deemed good. And progress was made.

Just curious, what is their Mt. Rushmore of movies? I'm curious what they consider their favorites if the cutoff is 1990. It would also give us a feel of their tastes, though if they were interested in 2001: A Space Oddyssey & Blade Rhnner, I'm guessing heavy on the sci-fix.

Before I forget, the most obvious question: which version of Blade Runner did y'all watch? Have they seen Blade Runner 2049?

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

That was for Sidney Crosby's 1000th game. Hockey is chock full of elaborate tributes honors

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Speaking of hockey

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1363836815103438852

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Amy Pole Her posted:

I can’t imagine only watching movies from after 1990. I’m fascinated why, considering he’s a movie buff like you said

i saw a tweet last week from someone from the ny times who refused to watch anything before 1975

what is it with these people being so ignorant

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Amy Pole Her posted:

My youngest sister, who was born in 1990, is very much the same way. The only "old" movie she'll watch is the drill camp parts of Full Metal Jacket.

Her favorite movies are SWAT (the Samuel L Jackson adaptation of the TV show from like 2000), Catwoman and Seabiscuit, and she thinks the Twilight movies depict the ideal of sane, healthy romance.

This is the same sister who announced at a family dinner, a few days after we had buried my sperm donor, that she was joining the Air Guard because she wanted "to help kill Muslims" (except she used a slur and didn't say Muslims). Ain't family great?

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

2001 is amazing just for how good it still looks.

Fiz once again proving he's not a Libertarian

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Viral videos going around about how the Houston snow is fake, just incredibly depressing how she's passing this "knowledge" to her kid. We talk a lot about split realities but this is another level. When you don't believe the snow you are holding is snow...

There's more of them in the thread.

https://twitter.com/leahmcelrath/status/1363616088844427264

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Timby posted:

The only "old" movie she'll watch is the drill camp parts of Full Metal Jacket.
This is the same sister who announced at a family dinner, a few days after we had buried my sperm donor, that she was joining the Air Guard because she wanted "to help kill Muslims" (except she used a slur and didn't say Muslims).

this is why you need to watch that whole loving movie!!!

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Qwijib0 posted:

Viral videos going around about how the Houston snow is fake, just incredibly depressing how she's passing this "knowledge" to her kid. We talk a lot about split realities but this is another level. When you don't believe the snow you are holding is snow...

Haha I've seen stuff like this before. People trying to blowtorch snow and saying it's all chemtrail illuminati stuff. I guess these people believed in witches or whatnot 400 years ago?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Qwijib0 posted:

Where does this poo poo come from? Like who stood outside and went "yep definitely fake snow" and then people bought into it? And apparently Bill Gates did it? What?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Oklahoma's FG Holder picks fight with guy way smaller then him... who happens to have a bunch of MMA training.

https://twitter.com/OldRowSooners/status/1362962386592755715

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Where does this poo poo come from? Like who stood outside and went "yep definitely fake snow" and then people bought into it? And apparently Bill Gates did it? What?

I'm sure you've heard of American Exceptionalism, the ideology that America is inherently different and by definition better than all other nations?

Apply that label to Texas in specific as opposed to America in general, crank that poo poo, along with a ridiculous helping of "that could never happen here, it has to be a hoax of some sort," up to 11, and ... yeah, that's the mindset of large swathes of the state.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kalli posted:

Oklahoma's FG Holder picks fight with guy way smaller then him... who happens to have a bunch of MMA training.

https://twitter.com/OldRowSooners/status/1362962386592755715

dude that holder was in trouble if his buddy hadn't been there to block the suplex.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Qwijib0 posted:

Their daughter is so excited about it too :smith:

Anyway, Trump's taxes are finally going to come out I guess

https://twitter.com/AndreaWNYC/status/1363859448842903554

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

dude that holder was in trouble if his buddy hadn't been there to block the suplex.

Oh, I should mention he shattered his orbital bone and needed 4 hours of reconstructive surgery, lucky to not lose an eye.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
gently caress, the first thing I see on my phone this morning is news that Daft Punk broke up.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Timby posted:

My youngest sister, who was born in 1990, is very much the same way. The only "old" movie she'll watch is the drill camp parts of Full Metal Jacket.

Her favorite movies are SWAT (the Samuel L Jackson adaptation of the TV show from like 2000), Catwoman and Seabiscuit, and she thinks the Twilight movies depict the ideal of sane, healthy romance.

This is the same sister who announced at a family dinner, a few days after we had buried my sperm donor, that she was joining the Air Guard because she wanted "to help kill Muslims" (except she used a slur and didn't say Muslims). Ain't family great?

That is some :allbuttons: right there.

Catwoman? Really?!?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Intruder posted:

Anyway, Trump's taxes are finally going to come out I guess

https://twitter.com/AndreaWNYC/status/1363859448842903554

they've been out. NYT did a huge thing about them.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Android Apocalypse posted:

That is some :allbuttons: right there.

Catwoman? Really?!?

Finally we found the person that's the intersection of cheesy super hero movies and intrigue about the cosmetics industry.

The Juggernaut
Nov 29, 2005

shirts and skins posted:

He watches *nothing* from before 1990? Is this guy only a sci fi/blockbuster kind of watcher? Like, there are a mind boggling array of great movies from before 1990.

I think the, massively flawed logic, is that there is just so much coming out now that there isn't time to watch the classics. He really doesn't have a genre but if I had to pick it would be sci-fi. He's big into starwars. This is a guy that would go to the movies at least once a week to watch a movie. Doesn't matter what it was, only that it was a movie. This is what happens when a person stops their drug of choice. He replaced heroin with movies. I replaced alcohol with shitposting.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Just curious, what is their Mt. Rushmore of movies? I'm curious what they consider their favorites if the cutoff is 1990. It would also give us a feel of their tastes, though if they were interested in 2001: A Space Oddyssey & Blade Rhnner, I'm guessing heavy on the sci-fix.

Before I forget, the most obvious question: which version of Blade Runner did y'all watch? Have they seen Blade Runner 2049?

Give me final cut or give me death. Yes, they saw 2049 so I had to kinda explain they mysteries that og BR left unanswered that were answered in 2049. Deckard is a replicant. Gaff knows everything.

Mt. Rushmore of movies? "The Revenant"

Ehud posted:

That's bizarre since the 70s and 80s owned so much for movies.

So this friend has never watched Alien and Aliens?

Alien and Aliens are now in play because 1. Ridley Scott 2. Blade Runner and Aliens may be in the same universe

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

If mel were still here hed be losing his mind on the rotation he later pulled to get back on top of the holder and start punching him in the face. Good lord that was a clinic lol.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

The Juggernaut posted:

I think the, massively flawed logic, is that there is just so much coming out now that there isn't time to watch the classics. He really doesn't have a genre but if I had to pick it would be sci-fi. He's big into starwars. This is a guy that would go to the movies at least once a week to watch a movie. Doesn't matter what it was, only that it was a movie. This is what happens when a person stops their drug of choice. He replaced heroin with movies. I replaced alcohol with shitposting.

Are you saying that he's big into Star Wars...but hasn't seen the original trilogy? :psyduck:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

you could see the two guys talking about whether they should just take these two guys out or not lmao

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I cringed when the one guy got his head slammed into the wall

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

The Juggernaut posted:

Give me final cut or give me death. Yes, they saw 2049 so I had to kinda explain they mysteries that og BR left unanswered that were answered in 2049. Deckard is a replicant. Gaff knows everything.

Mt. Rushmore of movies? "The Revenant"

Alien and Aliens are now in play because 1. Ridley Scott 2. Blade Runner and Aliens may be in the same universe

Ok that makes some sense. Getting overwhelmed with choice can get you locked into a weird pattern & that cutoff point (as arbitrary as it seems) has more context

On a similar note I haven't seen that much television, and I think it really started around 1995 when I went to college & didn't have a TV in my dorm that 1st year. Means I missed out on Buffy and that era of Star Trek, and it kind of snowballed from there. Now there's so much television and many people/critics are saying "This is must watch!" (even in this thread) that it gets overwhelming. Hell, I'm barely into season 2 of The Wire and I tried starting the series literally one year ago.

I realize now the only things I watch on TV right now are sports and Bob's Burgers, and even then the latter is usually recorded. Everything else is streamed (like Disney+ and HBO), and now I'm trying to resist the temptation to sign up for AMC just to finish American Gods.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Terrible news everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuDX6wNfjqc

Daft Punk has broken up.

:smith:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I mean they’ve barely done anything in forever and haven’t toured since 2007

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I mean they’ve barely done anything in forever and haven’t toured since 2007

They're also super old, they've been around for almost 30 years.... <googles>

oh my god, they're only 46.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

They were still doing a fair amount of collabs, and they have been one of my favorite bands since 8th grade so Im sad now.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Holy poo poo ahahahaha

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1363870096662364166?s=19

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/dril/status/575121631846227968

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Snyder Cut is a gonna be so bad oh my god

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

I take it back, Peter Jackson is not the least subtle director in Hollywood

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Lmao, this is a serious movie for adults not little marvel babies

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Jesus and Joker both have the same number of letters and start with J

Really makes u think

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

That loving rules. I almost want to watch it now just to see how bad that is.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Shocked that giving the 300 guy carte blanche and a blank check is turning out like poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

I hope they recreate the part in the Bible where Jesus says, " I'm da savior, baby"