Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
Finished Hard mode yesterday. Man, they really made Sephiroth the hardest boss in the entire mode, and having to readjust your materia every time after dying didn't help. Prayer materia on Tifa was the ultimate game changer in the end, but I still only beat him with just 1 HP left on my last character.

I was a but a wee lad when the original game came out and knew nothing about FF7 except for Aerith's sad fate, how it happens, your starting party plus Red XIII and that you start in Midgar and there is a wider open world afterwards. I knew that Sephiroth and Cloud had some kind of special bond, because as Goofy, captain of the Disney Castle Guards in Kingdom Hearts put it, "Gawrsh, ain't Sephiroth the black part of Cloud's heart?" I had a great time and at no point did things get too confusing. The plot ghosts were straightforward enough, they were protecting the course of events of the original game and now they've gone poof, so some things will be different. I am now obsessed with the game and FF7 lore as a whole, and have obviously spoiled myself about the broad lines of the rest of the original game's events. Bring on Part 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

That makes me happy and I'm really glad you enjoyed something that was a big part of my formative teen years :)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Moola posted:

As a teen I ONLY watched Advent Children on Japanese with subs. So thank you for bringing these memories back

Also how can anyone hate Dilly dally shilly shally? Next you'll be telling me you don't like "let's mosey"

I only like the mature lines in the original, like Cid turning into Donald Duck repeatedly in his dialogue or Barret calling Cloud a wacko. :colbert:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I didn't like Roche and I'm tired of pretending I did. Dude added nothing to the game and Jessie's whole explosives storyline felt like filler.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Lmao if you felt the need to pretend to like something you didn't so the mean goons don't laugh at your opinions

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Fabulous Knight posted:

Finished Hard mode yesterday. Man, they really made Sephiroth the hardest boss in the entire mode, and having to readjust your materia every time after dying didn't help. Prayer materia on Tifa was the ultimate game changer in the end, but I still only beat him with just 1 HP left on my last character.

I was a but a wee lad when the original game came out and knew nothing about FF7 except for Aerith's sad fate, how it happens, your starting party plus Red XIII and that you start in Midgar and there is a wider open world afterwards. I knew that Sephiroth and Cloud had some kind of special bond, because as Goofy, captain of the Disney Castle Guards in Kingdom Hearts put it, "Gawrsh, ain't Sephiroth the black part of Cloud's heart?" I had a great time and at no point did things get too confusing. The plot ghosts were straightforward enough, they were protecting the course of events of the original game and now they've gone poof, so some things will be different. I am now obsessed with the game and FF7 lore as a whole, and have obviously spoiled myself about the broad lines of the rest of the original game's events. Bring on Part 2.

Do you have no interest in playing original FFVII?

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Do you have no interest in playing original FFVII?

Good question. I wouldn't say that I had or have no interest, but when I beat the Remake, for whatever reason what happened was that I ended up just looking up most of what happens through videos and other sources. Wanting to know immediately outweighed buying a game from 1997 and playing through it to find out. I hope that sounds reasonable. I mention the release year because while I think I could enjoy the original for what it is, I just wasn't sure if the presentation, turn-based combat and character models could hold my interest enough. Not to mention I would have had to pay for the original game, cheap though it may be. I might still end up buying it just to experience it, but for now I'm okay not playing it myself.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Fabulous Knight posted:

Good question. I wouldn't say that I had or have no interest, but when I beat the Remake, for whatever reason what happened was that I ended up just looking up most of what happens through videos and other sources. Wanting to know immediately outweighed buying a game from 1997 and playing through it to find out. I hope that sounds reasonable. I mention the release year because while I think I could enjoy the original for what it is, I just wasn't sure if the presentation, turn-based combat and character models could hold my interest enough. Not to mention I would have had to pay for the original game, cheap though it may be. I might still end up buying it just to experience it, but for now I'm okay not playing it myself.

No, it's perfectly reasonable... it's the same as catching an episode of long-running thing or seeing a clip and being like "I gotta know everything." But rather than watching all those episodes, you wiki dive.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i'm in the same boat and pretty much have no interest in playing the original. i didnt understand the little of it I played when i was a kid and now i'm just too spoiled by new games to play anything older than maybe one generation

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Gaius Marius posted:

I didn't like Roche and I'm tired of pretending I did. Dude added nothing to the game and Jessie's whole explosives storyline felt like filler.

The best part of Roche was his theme song. One of the best new tracks in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwHaiB9-Too

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think the things I like the most about Final Fantasy are the ones that don't have the Fantasy part in it.

Jesse having an existential crisis over her bomb.
Everything about the slums both in the og and the remake.
Aeris making fun of Vincent for being a goth.
Celes being depressed.
The not at all subtle metaphor for climate change.

I like these games when the fantasy background is constantly dragged down by a random reality check. I don't know. It's funny, I like Baldur's Gate for the opposite reason, I like how everything scales to more and more fantastical as you reach Throne of Bhaal until everything is off the charts.

I empathize with Cloud checking his new apartment and being just utterly miserable about it.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
The worst thing about FF7R is Johnny and all the times you're forced to interact with Johnny and pretty much any time Johnny is speaking.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I didn't mind Johnny, but I also missed pretty much everything involving him in Wall Market, and didn't realise until a few weeks ago when I was watching a stream, so I didn't see a lot of him.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Lucas Archer posted:

The worst thing about FF7R is Johnny and all the times you're forced to interact with Johnny and pretty much any time Johnny is speaking.

BRO

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Lucas Archer posted:

every time I see people talking about FF7R on these dead comedy forums I discover a new thing someone Absolutely Hates that I thought was hilarious

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Only speaking for myself, he grates like a fresh piece of sandpaper on a dried up broken log. Every time he was on screen I was cringing.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I think there could have been too much Johnny, like if he got as much screen time as Jesse, Wedge or Biggs but I enjoyed the times when he did show up.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I finally got around to beating this yesterday and 1) the ending sure is something and I feel dissatisfied but that’s probably because I know this is just part of the story and 2) Aerith with the right setup was the most satisfying of the characters to play. You feel like a Godmage and while I enjoyed the part of the game where she’s missing, I found myself wishing she was in my party a lot.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Wait people purposefully choose to play as someone other than Tifa?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I like my pew pew

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Aeris could be an absolute loving beast once you kitted her out right, but the AI whenever you weren't actively piloting her means that she would sprint away from her warded, shielded thunderdome at top speed in order to throw energy butterflies at the strongest enemy on the field from like three feet away

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Ace Transmuter posted:

Wait people purposefully choose to play as someone other than Tifa?

Yeah, she was always in my party when I was 11 and drat it she's still gonna be in my party when I'm 33. She's cool punch girl, get the hell outta here Aerith.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Arkage posted:

The best part of Roche was his theme song. One of the best new tracks in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwHaiB9-Too

Man, Remake looked so loving cool

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 23, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A big part of why Tifa is fun is that I do not think there is a single "incredibly fast punchy" character with animations remotely as good as her. There are some big beefy brawlers who are similarly satisfying but Tifa's animations basically master the concept of punching you twenty seven times in the balls in under 3 seconds. It isn't even just that she is good but that every animation she has looks amazing. The other characters are good mind you but Tifa is frigging ridiculous.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Cloud was my favourite, I liked being able to go ham on people with a big sword, especially once you got Infinity's End, which basically gave you a free ATB and was frankly cheating.

I hope we get to switch party members in the next game though. I was also disappointed that we didn't get to control Red XIII, he's in the game for several extremely combat heavy hours and has attack animations programmed in; maybe they'll patch him in for the next gen releases, like they did with the other party members in FFXV.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Cloud was my favourite, I liked being able to go ham on people with a big sword, especially once you got Infinity's End, which basically gave you a free ATB and was frankly cheating.

I hope we get to switch party members in the next game though. I was also disappointed that we didn't get to control Red XIII, he's in the game for several extremely combat heavy hours and has attack animations programmed in; maybe they'll patch him in for the next gen releases, like they did with the other party members in FFXV.

I'm sure we will. It's worth remembering you didn't get to swap party members in original FFVII until you left Midgar. The lack of playable Red XIII was pretty lame though. I can understand the fact he'd be kind of limited but it'd still have been fun to use him in battle arenas or something.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Still blows my mind that Square left easy DLC money on the table by not throwing together a $5 battle arena where you could make your own fight rosters and stuff. I'd still be playing it if that were available.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

I only like the mature lines in the original, like Cid turning into Donald Duck repeatedly in his dialogue or Barret calling Cloud a wacko. :colbert:

:same: ff7 has always been 100% serious 100% of the time

now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go summon a giant comical yellow fat chicken to sit on an enemy and crush it with its butt. Also the enemy is a triceratops monster-truck hybrid

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like the part where a Nobuo Uematsu theme plays and it makes whatever scene it is magical.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yuffie

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Are they doing more episodes or is this just a one off DLC?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

how are you using 'episodes'

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I'm baffled this has not been announced for PC yet.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Super No Vacancy posted:

how are you using 'episodes'

I just found it strange they called it Episode instead of DLC

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1365066980349280257

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the answer is we don't know but i imagine this is the sole story dlc to bridge the generation gap

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I'm baffled this has not been announced for PC yet.

it's sony's only japanese franchise now they're moneyhatting to stay in the market

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Is Yuffie's new buddy part of the old extended univese, or is he like Roche where he was invented for the remake?

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Does anyone know if saves for this game can be transferred back-and-forth between PS5 and PS4 at the moment? I started playing it on PS5 recently but all of next month I'll be visiting my parents and will only have access to a PS4. It'd be cool if I could continue playing it on PS4, then come back to resume it on PS5 after my trip.

...or perhaps I should just bench the game until the PS5 upgrades come through.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
What's creating a lot of "please say sike" on Twitter right now is how Square marketing used language suggesting that the Yuffie chapter is only going to be released for the PS5 build.

If exclusive FF7 story content comes to PS5 then scalpers will move from $900 to $1300.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Episode just seems to be the word Square like for dlc. All the 15 dlc were episodes too.

Craptacular! posted:

What's creating a lot of "please say sike" on Twitter right now is how Square marketing used language suggesting that the Yuffie chapter is only going to be released for the PS5 build.

If exclusive FF7 story content comes to PS5 then scalpers will move from $900 to $1300.

It's pretty unambiguous that the Yuffie content is PS5 only

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

jassa posted:

Does anyone know if saves for this game can be transferred back-and-forth between PS5 and PS4 at the moment? I started playing it on PS5 recently but all of next month I'll be visiting my parents and will only have access to a PS4. It'd be cool if I could continue playing it on PS4, then come back to resume it on PS5 after my trip.

...or perhaps I should just bench the game until the PS5 upgrades come through.

I think you can since the PS5 would read it as a PS4 save. Just upload to the cloud.