Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

https://batman-news.com/2018/04/04/zack-snyder-says-batmans-spear-in-batman-v-superman-was-a-jesus-metaphor/

*Reading slowly with lips moving*
"Zack Snyder says Batman’s spear in ‘Batman v Superman’ was a Jesus metaphor"

Ohhhhh. Ooooooh, I get it now. Wow, that's like, really deep. I can't wait to see if he can do it again, with Jared Leto's Joker!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I forgot that Ebert gave Watchmen 4 stars

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

poisonpill posted:

It's going to be Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah

To be honest, finding out in that article that it was his daughter's favorite song is kind of :smith:

On the other hand,

PostNouveau posted:

lol that sex scene in Watchmen

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh my god it's his daughter's favorite song so he used it in the scene where the superheroes bang with their costumes on because the guy can't get it up without the costume?!? :psyduck:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Galewolf posted:

Just when we thought we're free of Joker makeup Halloween custumes, THEY DRAG US BACK IN!

god i wish we still lived in the era where people still got all mad about piss christ because joker christ costumes would set them off on unhinged rants

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

:lol:

Snyder uses Jesus imagery so much it loses all meaning. He’s like some edgy goth kid from the late 90’s.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream

General Dog posted:

Does Watchmen have boobs in it? I can’t rem ember

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

The Klowner posted:

counterpoint: star wars was saved in the edit

Counter-counterpoint: A New Hope wasn’t made after the lovely prequels

Man of Steel/BvS is the baseline for Justice League, and those movies were visually stimulating trash

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

luchajones posted:

Good point it had Carla Gugino in it there is no way Rog could resist it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

luchajones posted:

Absolutely

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

PostNouveau posted:

Oh my god it's his daughter's favorite song so he used it in the scene where the superheroes bang with their costumes on because the guy can't get it up without the costume?!? :psyduck:

I mean, Watchmen came out in 2009. Production was even earlier than that, so the daughter would have been 12 or younger at the time he chose that song for that scene. It's very likely that it didn't become her favorite song until she was older.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

All I remember is a lot of giant blue penis.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

luchajones posted:

Malin Ackerman is in it so that makes the chance of boobs like 80%

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
we believe in one synder,
the zack almighty,
maker of batman v superman,
of all things hack and fraud.

and in one lord joker christ,
the only son of synder,
begotten from the synder before all ages,
synder from synder,
society from society,

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Raskolnikov38 posted:

god i wish we still lived in the era where people still got all mad about piss christ because joker christ costumes would set them off on unhinged rants

Snyder is in his mid-50s. He's right in the heart of Gen X, and thus probably has a lot of formative memories around stuff like the piss christ controversy or Christians picketing outside of movie theaters showing The Last Temptation of Christ. He probably thinks he's striking a blow against "the man" with this.

(When was the last time Christians got super-upset about a Hollywood release? I remember some grousing about Dogma, but I can't think of any that might have happened later than that. Certainly nothing like what we used to see in the 80s.)

EDIT:

colonelwest posted:

All I remember is a lot of giant blue penis.

Was it giant?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LanceHunter posted:

Speaking of ambition, somebody did one of those punchy sync-ups for the RLM D&D commentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohy5yQoAx3k

I love these

:lmao: That Tom Hanks "Mazes & Monsters" scene

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

General Dog posted:

Apart from saying that video games could not be art, was Ebert right about anything?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

LanceHunter posted:

Speaking of ambition, somebody did one of those punchy sync-ups for the RLM D&D commentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohy5yQoAx3k

People rightfully poo poo in this movie for being bad but it is absolutely accurate to a D&D campaign where everyone is either a fuckup or they turn full murder hobo by the end of the first session.

Also the best Mazes and Monsters bit is where Tom Hanks fights a school bus he thinks is a dragon.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 22, 2021

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Apart from saying that video games could not be art, was Ebert right about anything?

I grew up in his shadow, during a time when it was widely excepted that he was the foremost move critic in America. But I never really bothered watching his show or reading his column, so I just assumed everyone was right. Then as an adult I’ve gone back and looked his actual opinions, and a lot of them are pretty terrible and show almost no understanding of the finer points of filmmaking.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 22, 2021

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream

Whizzing Wizard posted:

“Mr. Schneider, your movie sucks”

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

colonelwest posted:

I grew up in his shadow, when it was widely excepted that he was the foremost move critic in America. But I never really bothered watching his show or reading his column, so I just assumed everyone was right. Then as an adult I’ve gone back and looked his actual opinions, and a lot of them are pretty terrible and show almost no understanding of the finer points of filmmaking.

He liked fun movies, and most of the time I disagree with him, he explains why he did or didn’t like something in a way that you’ll know if you would actually like it yourself.

But yeah, he didn’t really understand movies beyond “I like this” and “I don’t like that”

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
[mike voice] "Ebert was mad that no one liked "Beyond the Valley of the Dolls"... because IT SUCKED" [/mike voice]

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Ebert liked women with giant gazongas. A good man.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I like reading old Ebert reviews after I watch a movie. I find them interesting even when he's totally wrong about everything and completely misunderstanding the movie.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Ebert's writing is pretty solid, especially on stuff that he really liked; it was just his taste that was hit and miss.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Whizzing Wizard posted:

he liked big titties.

e:

mallratcal posted:

Ebert liked women with giant gazongas. A good man.

how dare you

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

General Dog posted:

Ebert's writing is pretty solid, especially on stuff that he really liked; it was just his taste that was hit and miss.

Yeah, I don't get where this "Ebert didn't really understand film" stuff comes from. He was writing to a general audience that had a very low understanding of cinema, was often operating with a strict word-count, and always on a deadline. He wasn't going to go off on a tangent about the hottest new essay in On Cinema when the majority of his readers were just trying to decide which of the 5 movies in their local theater they were going to see on Saturday. Yeah, his reviews are often pretty basic when you look at them from the perspective of someone in a post-Plinkett Review world, but go look up the movie reviews that were in any local paper of the same era and you'll start to see how Ebert was considered a giant in his field.

Anyways, speaking of long-form video essay critique: Linday Ellis just dropped a hot new video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHTMidTLO60

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

This is amazing work. As a student of history I can say that I’ve seen hundreds of paintings like this, and have shown little to no emotion. The paintings were just windows to a past I’ve never lived in, people who I never knew or would ever know. But this picture made me stop and evaluate. Putting the Joker in Jesuses crown of thorns made me actually look at what is really happening. Putting something that everyone is familiar with in a situation that no one knows, and to make people feel those emotions, to realize Jesus lived in a society as well, that takes amazing talent. Thank you.

this is good

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

He could never gush enough about how good Attack Of The 50 Foot Woman was.

“ill never see bigger tatas in my life” he would say, suicidally.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Endless Trash posted:

He could never gush enough about how good Attack Of The 50 Foot Woman was.

“ill never see bigger tatas in my life” he would say, suicidally.

Ebert would've eventually accepted video games could be art if only he'd lived long enough to see the Resident Evil 8 trailer.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

PostNouveau posted:

I'm gonna have to watch it just to see how much it could really change things. I mean, he's working with a big pile of the same shots and script, right? How much better could you really make a movie with the same raw materials as a huge turd of a film?

Annie Hall was originally shot as a dramatic turning-40 movie with murder, mystery, surrealism, etc.

In editing it was transformed into a romcom.

Yea with editing the same ingredients can have wildly different results. (It’s Snyder though so it’ll still be trash regardless)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gutcruncher posted:

Annie Hall was originally shot as a dramatic turning-40 movie with murder, mystery, surrealism, etc.

Say whaaaaaaaaaaaat?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LanceHunter posted:

Anyways, speaking of long-form video essay critique: Linday Ellis just dropped a hot new video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHTMidTLO60

"This is why all movies are bad"

I see Lindsay is learning.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

luchajones posted:

In it? Heck, it was directed by one!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Communist Walrus posted:

In it? Heck, it was directed by one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRkE_Gv6ALM

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

what the gently caress is this poo poo

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
The Snyder Zone

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zeta Acosta posted:

what the gently caress is this poo poo

A Hideaki Anno-level obsession with Christian iconography with the same total lack of substance to back it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Not seeing it guys