Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I would be appreciative if people could be careful in navigating the line between, on one side, insights about the political economy and political culture of contemporary Russia and, on the other side, breaking out the calipers to speculate The Fundamental Russian Psyche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Hand Knit posted:

I would be appreciative if people could be careful in navigating the line between, on one side, insights about the political economy and political culture of contemporary Russia and, on the other side, breaking out the calipers to speculate The Fundamental Russian Psyche.

No ones done that last part. It's been pretty well documented and proven about the toxic masculinity and raging homophobia under the current regime.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

You seem to be extremely upset about one comment that was made about russiagate (probably mine). There's nothing wrong with being skeptical of the story on either side because we very well may never get the full story here.

Current Russian society has an ingrained hyper macho attitude inside of it that has homophobia as well as sexism baked in.

Im sorry but it was a pretty dumb comment in response to this current story. Also, what the gently caress?

Saying this maybe is politically motivated is not being skeptical its being willfully ignorant.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 22, 2021

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Hand Knit posted:

How about we talk about how the Toronto Maple Leafs lost to a 43 year old Zamboni driver who works for them?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

stab posted:

How about we talk about how the Toronto Maple Leafs lost to a 43 year old Zamboni driver who works for them?

Do tell

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
Regardless of whether or not these allegations are true, Jim Benning should step down.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

WeaponX posted:

Im sorry but it was a pretty dumb comment in response to this current story. Also, what the gently caress?

It's really not if you paid any attention to the Pussy Riot protests.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

stab posted:

A happy Ayresaversary to you too. May all your teams be so blessed to make such a contribution to hockey and sports history.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

It's really not if you paid any attention to the Pussy Riot protests.

This was your comment...

Matt Zerella posted:

People are way too quick to dismiss poo poo coming out of Russia because of BIG BAD PUTIN RUSSIAGATE REEEEEE..

Its still dumb.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

WeaponX posted:

This was your comment...

Its still dumb.

I don't think its dumb at all to say everyones been disturbingly quick to dismiss this as purely political RUSSIA OMG PUTIN when its a country that's reclassified fist offenders of domestic abuse to a misdemeanor.

I can see there are political and social timings to this (RE: the olympics). But it's not completely out of the question that a young Panarin, growing up where he did, beat the poo poo out of a woman and got it covered up.

I legitimately hope I am very wrong (which I usually am!) and that this is purely political. I also think it's very gross to dismiss it outright because of the source and current political climate in Russia.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Believe insane Russian men who once punched out a team doctor.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
I'm not going to let all these stories about how cool Nazarov is cloud my judgement.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I'm fairly comfortable with the Leafs' role of constantly being disappointing dunces that find new depths to sink to, I think losing to Ayres is preferable to the reality where they win and the news cycle is dominated with takes on how evil the Leafs are for embarrassing their own employee on national TV, how the NHL is a joke for not having a 'neutral' EBUG on-site, conspiracies about Ayres throwing the game because he's an employee and the accompanying negative publicity towards a good guy, etc. Nicer for the team to just be laughed at like the soft under-performers they are and get a feel-good story about under-appreciated staff.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
In lighter news, Colton Parayko has some sort of back injury and they don't know the severity of it or how long it will take to heal (or if it will heal!)

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Flocons de Jambon posted:

I'm not going to let all these stories about how cool Nazarov is cloud my judgement.

your honor, the defense would like to enter in "Andre Nazarov vs Krystof Oliwa - Round 8" from Youtube in as Exhibit 19,

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That Ayres game was the most entertaining game of the whole season so the Leafs should be happy to have been a part of it.. even if they were the ones that got posterized.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

lmbo

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

That Ayres game was the most entertaining game of the whole season so the Leafs should be happy to have been a part of it.. even if they were the ones that got posterized.

The look on his face as he walked into the canes locker room and they all went nuts was so great. Dude absolutely lived the goddamn dream.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

I don't think its dumb at all to say everyones been disturbingly quick to dismiss this as purely political RUSSIA OMG PUTIN when its a country that's reclassified fist offenders of domestic abuse to a misdemeanor.

I can see there are political and social timings to this (RE: the olympics). But it's not completely out of the question that a young Panarin, growing up where he did, beat the poo poo out of a woman and got it covered up.

I legitimately hope I am very wrong (which I usually am!) and that this is purely political. I also think it's very gross to dismiss it outright because of the source and current political climate in Russia.

Nobody is dismissing it outright. They are dismissing it because of the incredibly questionable timing and source who literally said it was politically motivated. He actually said that. He is also a well-known liar and perhaps, complete psychopath. That is not outright dismissal, that is just very basic logic. It has nothing to do with the psychological geo-political makeup of Russia or whatever you are trying to get at.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
I understand believing women when they accuse powerful men of misconduct, and victim blaming is absolutely inacceptable in any circumstance. That being said, has any woman even come forward, or is it just this shitstain former coach of his claiming he did that? Don't psyche yourself into believing these accusations with a clear political bent just because of the "Russian psyche" or whatever. Until an actual victim comes forward, this is just the word of some guy who hates Panarin because of his politics, and explicitly stated he did this because Panarin "attacked" Putin politically. Right now there's as much "evidence" in this case as there is for Trump seeing "Muslims" celebrating 9/11.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

DildenAnders posted:

I understand believing women when they accuse powerful men of misconduct, and victim blaming is absolutely inacceptable in any circumstance. That being said, has any woman even come forward, or is it just this shitstain former coach of his claiming he did that? Don't psyche yourself into believing these accusations with a clear political bent just because of the "Russian psyche" or whatever. Until an actual victim comes forward, this is just the word of some guy who hates Panarin because of his politics, and explicitly stated he did this because Panarin "attacked" Putin politically. Right now there's as much "evidence" in this case as there is for Trump seeing "Muslims" celebrating 9/11.

We're probably never going to see the full story here between the politics, Russian and American media, and nhl/rangers (possibly even Chicago and Columbus) PR.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Let's cloudy this up some more:

https://twitter.com/ikhurshudyan/status/1363873195087003653

Isabelle is a Washington Post reporter based in Moscow.

e- More:

https://twitter.com/ikhurshudyan/status/1363940517243985924
https://twitter.com/ikhurshudyan/status/1363940520473600000
https://twitter.com/ikhurshudyan/status/1363940522834989059

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 22, 2021

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIRE IN ME

I don't get the point of what she's saying

Basically..."what's he so upset about this is no big deal and probably not the Russian state threatening him I dunno I GUESS something might be going on but sure sounds like Panarin is acting funny!"

If we operated under the assumption that the allegations are fabrications it doesn't' seem wild to think that Panarin views this as a veiled threat. poo poo, even if the allegations are true it doesn't seem wild to see it as a threat to his family etc

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Tony DeAngelo steps in to defend his teammate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDmGhethEoQ

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Zodijackylite posted:

It's been way too fuckin long since I've watched My Cousin Vinnie.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Levitate posted:

If we operated under the assumption that the allegations are fabrications it doesn't' seem wild to think that Panarin views this as a veiled threat. poo poo, even if the allegations are true it doesn't seem wild to see it as a threat to his family etc

Entirely possible the public allegations were accompanied by a privately delivered, more personal threat.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
How about a different Russian, Kirill Kaprizov, sitting on the top of the rookie points board? Not going to lie, hes been quite the player in most games. Great control and hes been jumping on passes and forcing turnovers and then turning them into attacking plays. I havent been this excited about Wild draft picks/rookies in many years. Its kind of nice that hes a couple years older too, much less waiting on development.

Also, Calen Addison looked pretty decent mostly. Still a little nervy on a few plays, but over all solid defensively. Hes back to Iowa for hopefully some more minutes.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
this might be the dumbest season in the history of the new york rangers, despite all of the other seasons that the new york rangers have played

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Zodijackylite posted:

Knowing Tony, he's defending the Russians, not Bread.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jhet posted:

How about a different Russian, Kirill Kaprizov, sitting on the top of the rookie points board? Not going to lie, hes been quite the player in most games. Great control and hes been jumping on passes and forcing turnovers and then turning them into attacking plays. I havent been this excited about Wild draft picks/rookies in many years. Its kind of nice that hes a couple years older too, much less waiting on development.

Also, Calen Addison looked pretty decent mostly. Still a little nervy on a few plays, but over all solid defensively. Hes back to Iowa for hopefully some more minutes.

He's 23. It's not as impressive when they're old.

If they can remember not having a cellphone, boring.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

a false posted:

this might be the dumbest season in the history of the new york rangers, despite all of the other seasons that the new york rangers have played

yeah it's up there for sure

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/SabresPR/status/1363960732132519938

:rip: that guy

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

That drat shootout for a playoff berth vs the flyers.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Christ, it'd be quicker to list the parts of his leg that still work

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

He's 23. It's not as impressive when they're old.

If they can remember not having a cellphone, boring.

Yeah. I expect that the muted media attention is because hes 23 and also because hes in MN.

I will take that over someone who can barely remember to get to practice on time because theyre posting on Instagram. Still, hes been good and pretty consistent so far and Ill take that every year. The way he plays, I would expect a point per game average is a decent shout.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

jeeeeeeesus :stare:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

McCabe and Risto were playing the best hockey of their entire careers so far this season, especially together. Risto got bad COVID symptoms and wont be back for weeks, if at all. And then this. gently caress. gently caress!

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Should we just assume that Panarin isn't going to play for OAR next year at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Christ, it'd be quicker to list the parts of his leg that still work

In football they call it the "Terrible Triad," it's basically complete destruction of the knee joint.