Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Rytheric and the AwfulCompound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

How inconceivable is it to imagine me laying a 5x5 against the side of a building and just pulling or hoisting it up then assembling it with another and just tilting it up. Here is a time lapse of one in a different style being build. No crane involved. This doesn't take super genius intelligence or strength to do.

https://youtu.be/0_naku8GRxg

How inconceivable is it for a small group of people with experience to do that like in your link? Not at all.

Rytheric posted:

I was in a rush for a date. I can get the hardware after I saw the bottom to size and poly the doors. The frame is essentially already done as I'm using the studs, sills, and plates as the frame.

So you're making your own frame. This is gonna be great.

Have you ever hung a door before? Do you have a door hanging kit or are you gonna go all old school craftsman and cut the hinges in with a chisel? Do you have a drill, bits and hopefully a jig for the handle hardware?

How is this going to stay closed when you're driving around?

How big of a gap are you leaving around everything, and how did you calculate that amount of space to prevent these doors from being crushed the very first time you drive the truck over anything other than a smooth road after you've installed them?

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Ry, you're in NC, right? I am too. There's an NC thread in the LAN subforum, so if you need some help building your house, I'm sure some of us would be happy to help. Not me, though. I have a heart problem.

You could be the firewatch (make sure no one looks at risk of missing their footing/not paying attention or losing conscious from heat stress and so on) or grill master. I will pay like $100 a day for those who help if there is interest when the time comes. As long as an army doesn't show up. Lol

mewse
May 2, 2006

Johnny Truant posted:

Rytheric and the AwfulCompound

Pay for your own airfare to clear surprisingly robust bamboo field

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Motronic posted:

How inconceivable is it for a small group of people with experience to do that like in your link? Not at all.

So you're making your own frame. This is gonna be great.

Have you ever hung a door before? Do you have a door hanging kit or are you gonna go all old school craftsman and cut the hinges in with a chisel? Do you have a drill, bits and hopefully a jig for the handle hardware?

How is this going to stay closed when you're driving around?

How big of a gap are you leaving around everything, and how did you calculate that amount of space to prevent these doors from being crushed the very first time you drive the truck over anything other than a smooth road after you've installed them?

I have an army of chisels waiting to be sharpened and used again. I prefer things the old craftsman way. I'd rather cut plywood with a chisel than a skill saw. Have an army of drill bits. I hung that plywood door you see in the photo. And I have a reference french door that I'm modeling everything on. French doors you have a retractable bolt that you push down into a receiver mortise like a fancy pad bolt. Ive installed several door knows in my time. Like you're tripping over the simplist things.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

Like you're tripping over the simplist things.

Yes, it is I "tripping" over the simplest things.

Shine on you methy diamond.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Rytheric posted:

Also I know polyurethane was the protective layer. I was asking if the paint one suggested was necessary.

I was just saying it’s an option. Either poly them with or without stain, or prime and paint them.

So no it’s not necessary, if you want to keep it simple just do several coats of a good exterior poly.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You should really find a railroad tie and see how long it takes you to chisel a single tenon. You'll be at that poo poo for months building a whole house.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

um excuse me posted:

You should really find a railroad tie and see how long it takes you to chisel a single tenon. You'll be at that poo poo for months building a whole house.

Yeah that is the labor intensive part. I've chiseled tenons before. Ironically enough, I'm actually doing some geotech work to address a sinking railroad road. Maybe I can ask them for a tie as a souvenir.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

um excuse me posted:

I predict that Rytheric will discover that timber framing is far more difficult and much slower than it looks on YouTube.

I hope he proves me wrong, though.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Deteriorata posted:

I predict that Rytheric will discover that timber framing is far more difficult and much slower than it looks on YouTube.

I hope he proves me wrong, though.

I imagine it will take me about a year or two to build as my finances allow. This year I will likely buy the land, finish GroverTruk, finish the timber shitter, clear the land, and get started on the septic. I still need to price the abandonment and replacement of the well, if it's cheap that might get done this year too. Then next year start on the MurderHaus. This is all based on a burn rate of 10-15k a year.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

In between that im going to be helping my hemp farming buddy timber frame his garage.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Rytheric posted:

Yeah that is the labor intensive part. I've chiseled tenons before. Ironically enough, I'm actually doing some geotech work to address a sinking railroad road. Maybe I can ask them for a tie as a souvenir.

Even if you know what to do, it's probably best to form technique and precision on a piece of scrap before doing it to your literal house that you need to live in.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

um excuse me posted:

Even if you know what to do, it's probably best to form technique and precision on a piece of scrap before doing it to your literal house that you need to live in.

Right. That is the purpose of the timbershitter and helping with the garage before tackling the MurderHaus

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Motronic posted:

Yes, it is I "tripping" over the simplest things.

Shine on you methy diamond.

You sure are weirdly hostile for no reason, random goon. Rytheric isnt asking you to invest in his hotdog restaurant, he's not trying to get you to move to texas and start a goon colony, and he doesnt need to prove anything to you. Maybe you should take a break from being an rear end in a top hat for a little bit and see how that goes.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Digital Prophet posted:

You sure are weirdly hostile for no reason, random goon. Rytheric isnt asking you to invest in his hotdog restaurant, he's not trying to get you to move to texas and start a goon colony, and he doesnt need to prove anything to you. Maybe you should take a break from being an rear end in a top hat for a little bit and see how that goes.

lol if you think this is hostile.

The problem here is that a decent percentage of what's being posted here is complete fabrication. I'm just not sure what percentage it is yet.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

To be honest. I did try to start a honk colony. Posted several locations I'd be interested in going in on on the discord before I settled on this land. lol.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rytheric posted:

I prefer things the old craftsman way.

Saws are like 4000 years old and have been used by craftsmen for that long.

It's been many years since I worked as a chippie but still.... dont use a hammer for a screwdriver is the saying I think is approriate here.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Motronic posted:

The problem here is that a decent percentage of what's being posted here is complete fabrication. I'm just not sure what percentage it is yet.

Well, yea, it's a thread about building a house :dadjoke:

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's been many years since I worked as a chippie but still.... dont use a hammer for a screwdriver is the saying I think is approriate here.

I just can't stand the noise and dust powered equipment produces. I prefer a quiet calm environment to work on my craft. Similar to how this dude operates below. He is one role model

https://youtu.be/V9W9xQS-EdQ

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I thought this was way too recent and you're only off by like 1000 years and now I'm all hosed up about learning that saws are more recent than like, taxes.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Rytheric posted:

I just can't stand the noise and dust powered equipment produces. I prefer a quiet calm environment to work on my craft. Similar to how this dude operates below. He is one role model

There are saws on the wall in that video.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Rytheric posted:

Here is a pic of the doors. Unfortunately I left them outside last night not expecting it to rain so I'm hoping they don't warp lol. Poor photo quality to satiate someones impatience lol.

You've installed them wrong, mate. Your door leads down, and it should lead, like, forward.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Mr. Nice! posted:

There are saws on the wall in that video.

My beef is with skill saws a.k.a. powered circular saws also powered planers and the like.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Rytheric posted:

Don't discount saws for sure. If you're super into joinery, I'd recommend getting a Japanese pull saw. It gets you finer control and it's definitely part of the artistry.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

um excuse me posted:

Don't discount saws for sure. If you're super into joinery, I'd recommend getting a Japanese pull saw. It gets you finer control and it's definitely part of the artistry.

Oh yeah I use a Japanese pull saw as my go to. All the 2x4s and 2x6s in the GroverTruk bedroom framing were shortened to size with the pull saw.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

So "your craft" is now.....woodworking? Not chemistry or whatever term you're using for environmental remediation? I'm trying to keep good notes here but things change so quickly.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
ry, do not listen to the naysayers in this thread like this one (among others):

Paladinus posted:

You've installed them wrong, mate. Your door leads down, and it should lead, like, forward.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
You can get those weird drillbit jigs that cut square holes

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm surprised square broaches that you just, like, slam through wood with a hammer isn't a thing.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

um excuse me posted:

I'm surprised square broaches that you just, like, slam through wood with a hammer isn't a thing.

Wood has a habit of crushing and splitting. You need to remove the bulk of the material with a drill, then use a mortising chisel to square it up.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rytheric posted:

I just can't stand the noise and dust powered equipment produces.

Ummmm. Wasnt talking about power saws....?

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Motronic posted:

So "your craft" is now.....woodworking? Not chemistry or whatever term you're using for environmental remediation? I'm trying to keep good notes here but things change so quickly.

Yes, my entire life is also completely wrapped up in my job to the point where I never do anything that doesnt directly relate to it in some way.

Please, continue getting to the bottom of things. We are all terribly interested in your deep investigation. Im sure that if you put your mind to it, you can find a way to completely ruin an otherwise great thread on this dying forum.

:jerkbag:

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Motronic posted:

I'm no longer doing chemistry. I do environmental work now. Woodworking, jewelry making, and Mars colonization research are hobbies that I hope to turn into a craft along with sailing. I put a halt to my woodworking to focus on saving for the land of MurderHaus though.

Edit: I determined the best course of action was to put my life on hold for 2 years to save for land. So my bosses garage which is littered with woodworking tools, chemistry sets and the like has been dormant for two years. It's about to reawaken though.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 23, 2021

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ummmm. Wasnt talking about power saws....?

I thought the dont use a screw driver was a means to say use a power saw. I apologize.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Use a power driver, namaste

Kim Jaym Il
Dec 14, 2010

what? i
don't
have
fucking
ears

p-p-p-power saw?

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Kim Jaym Il posted:

p-p-p-power saw?

Darn Skippy. They kick up soo much dust its ridiculous, they vibrate ya to death, and produce so much noise pollution.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Kim Jaym Il posted:

p-p-p-power chisel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Rytheric posted:

I'm no longer doing chemistry. I do environmental work now. Woodworking, jewelry making, and Mars colonization research are hobbies that I hope to turn into a craft along with sailing. I put a halt to my woodworking to focus on saving for the land of MurderHaus though.

I don't think you've told us much about the Mars stuff. As a fellow space nerd, I'd be interested to hear what you've been doing on that front.