Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
I find one of the most interesting applications to be insulin pumps, they were necessary to regulate blood sugar and to release insulin for astronauts. From LASIK to artificial limbs and even memory foam space exploration has been a catalyst for scientific achievement. I'll add to the OP but this is the place to post about tech we owe to NASA and the exploration of space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I lust for the mass manufacture of ZBLAN one day which will allow us to post even harder and faster.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

I find one of the most interesting applications to be insulin pumps, they were necessary to regulate blood sugar and to release insulin for astronauts.

What? If you have diabetes that requires you to administer insulin, you are flat-out ineligible to become an astronaut. NASA *funding* helped develop an *implantable* insulin pump, but wearable insulin pumps predate that by years, were invented by the Segway guy, and had nothing to do with NASA.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7261311/#Sec10title

A whole bunch of inventions or developments that are commonly claimed to be fruit of the space race or space funding are nothing of the sort. Velcro, Teflon, microcircuitry, none of that stuff came into existence because of interest in space.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Phanatic posted:

What? If you have diabetes that requires you to administer insulin, you are flat-out ineligible to become an astronaut. NASA *funding* helped develop an *implantable* insulin pump, but wearable insulin pumps predate that by years, were invented by the Segway guy, and had nothing to do with NASA.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7261311/#Sec10title

A whole bunch of inventions or developments that are commonly claimed to be fruit of the space race or space funding are nothing of the sort. Velcro, Teflon, microcircuitry, none of that stuff came into existence because of interest in space.

I mean I don't know what to tell you NASA contributed the the advancement of an important technology, NASA never claimed to have invented them?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

I mean I don't know what to tell you NASA contributed the the advancement of an important technology, NASA never claimed to have invented them?

You said it was tech we owe to NASA and the exploration of space; you even said they were necessary to regulate insulin for astronauts. We absolutely do not owe insulin pumps to NASA. Or LASIK. Or artificial limbs.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 23, 2021

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Phanatic posted:

You said it was tech we owe to NASA and the exploration of space. We absolutely do not owe insulin pumps to NASA. Or LASIK. Or artificial limbs.

You are being intentionally obtuse

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Phanatic posted:

You said it was tech we owe to NASA and the exploration of space; you even said they were necessary to regulate insulin for astronauts. We absolutely do not owe insulin pumps to NASA. Or LASIK. Or artificial limbs.

lukevictorious
Mar 31, 2019

this is the water
I don't have diabetes but I'm still

Phanatic posted:

flat-out ineligible to become an astronaut

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

NASA funding helped bring the world the fuckin Bowflex lol

https://spinoff.nasa.gov/Spinoff2019/cg_1.html

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Thank you NASA for freeze-dried coffee, dust busters, solar cells, and memory-foam mattresses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

they're also involved in water purification systems, should be cool in the end