Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

I wonder if there's literally any batty (heh) character decision Snyder could make that people won't spin into being actually innovative somehow, or else that it's actually intentionally bad in order to troll people so it's actually secretly good again. I'm seriously curious if there are any offbeat paths he could swerve to that would finally be too off for his base.

You can also quite literally say the exact opposite, there is no decision Snyder could make that won't have people roll their eyes and spin as him "not getting the characters" or that he's trying to be edgy or doesn't understand humor or whatever, no matter how close to the source material those decisions are.

Turns out Snyder is a Society of contrasts

Re MK Chat, I gotta hand it to the company, they actually managed to have a semi compelling story in their fighting games. Between mortal kombat and Injustice they've gotten quite good at it.

Also having Joker and Spawn talk about that emo brooder in Gotham was pretty funny

McCloud fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Feb 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Being British means I know a fair few people who have made pointing out that Thor: The Dark World got the underground stops wrong part of their personality

Tbf it was a national scandal of the highest order.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I'm glad that everyone has come around to understanding that Mortal Kombat is secretly the best superhero franchise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oryUJNGPiY8

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Feb 23, 2021

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Lurdiak posted:

There's a part in Thor: The Dark World where he awkwardly looks around for a place to put his hammer down after entering someone's apartment and then hangs it on the coat hanger.

Yeah, that was great.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I secretly like the MK9 Kitana ending where she, Mileena and Jade team up to fight crime. (I always thought it would be neat with making Kitana a villain if they made Mileena heroic to invert it, but alas.)

Watching the compilation it's still cool to me that Trevor Goddard was so memorable in the first movie he made Kano Australian retroactively.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Mileena's MK11 ending is second only to Jax's, it's just the sweetest, most wholesome thing (er, apart from all the people she kills once she's Queen of Time). She finally gets the loving family she always wanted. Let that be a lesson to you, Kitana.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

McCloud posted:

You can also quite literally say the exact opposite, there is no decision Snyder could make that won't have people roll their eyes and spin as him "not getting the characters" or that he's trying to be edgy or doesn't understand humor or whatever, no matter how close to the source material those decisions are.

Turns out Snyder is a Society of contrasts

See I don’t know about this. I think he did just fine with Watchmen, despite nerd outcry that fake aliens was necessary for the plot (Doc Manhattan as a boogie man is just as scary IMO).

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Getting rid of the fake alien was the one bit of Snyder's changes that I agree with. I think Moore in the book was making a point about the transformation of the mundane into the comic book reality, but that wouldn't have worked nearly as well in movie form. My issues with Watchmen was more in terms of how Snyder depicts the violence in what is a very deliberating anti-violence story, the erasure of the complexity of Ozymandias, and how he handles Rorschach towards the end. I think I also prefer Watchmen retained more of the scenes with ordinary people, but I realise cuts have to be made.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Feb 23, 2021

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He would have liked to add the fake alien to the script but Warner wasn't going to let him add 20 more pages to the movie and he would have had to cut other stuff he felt was more important.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rhymenoserous posted:

See I don’t know about this. I think he did just fine with Watchmen, despite nerd outcry that fake aliens was necessary for the plot (Doc Manhattan as a boogie man is just as scary IMO).

I honsestly think that Watchmen actually is impossible to adapt In a good way and that's why so many directors just gave up.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

site posted:

lmao holy poo poo that jax arcade ending

on the flip side: goddamn that jaqcui ending

Chuds got SO MAD about that Jax ending, crying about "white genocide."

Sentinel Red posted:

Mileena's MK11 ending is second only to Jax's, it's just the sweetest, most wholesome thing (er, apart from all the people she kills once she's Queen of Time). She finally gets the loving family she always wanted. Let that be a lesson to you, Kitana.

Personally a big fan of Fujin's ending. It's so idealistic that when Jax shows up in it, he looks exactly the same as he does in his own ending.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Alhazred posted:

I honsestly think that Watchmen actually is impossible to adapt In a good way and that's why so many directors just gave up.
This is where I am. I think Snyder got the characters mostly fine in it (and 300, for that matter), but I don't think he got the point of the work. It's fine, and I don't much care that the ending changed. I think it does work better for film, given the time constraints.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

He would have liked to add the fake alien to the script but Warner wasn't going to let him add 20 more pages to the movie and he would have had to cut other stuff he felt was more important.
Given he filmed and edited over an hour of additional footage including a 26-minute animated sequence (that he wanted to do as live-action!), I'm not so sure this is true unless you have an interview where he said otherwise?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gavok posted:

Chuds got SO MAD about that Jax ending, crying about "white genocide."

I hadn't seen it before. That's amazing.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Well, then if you're right I'm glad he didn't get to do what he wanted.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Endless Mike posted:

Given he filmed and edited over an hour of additional footage including a 26-minute animated sequence (that he wanted to do as live-action!), I'm not so sure this is true unless you have an interview where he said otherwise?

He got to film those extra bits, but there was still a theatrical cut to be released and that couldn't be too long. Sadly, he couldn't save the ending for the director's cut.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Endless Mike posted:

This is where I am. I think Snyder got the characters mostly fine in it (and 300, for that matter), but I don't think he got the point of the work. It's fine, and I don't much care that the ending changed. I think it does work better for film, given the time constraints.

Yeah

quote:

"They were like, 'We saw, like, the Comedian's funeral. Like, that feels like it could be [cut], nothing happens there!,'" Snyder said with a laugh. "'This whole thing where Manhattan goes to Mars, that seems also like an area where nothing happens. And then, also, when Rorschach's being interrogated by this psychiatrist, that's another area where nothing happens. So if you just lob those three areas off, we're going to have a nice tight little movie.'"

Executives also wanted Dan Dreiberg (Patrick Wilson) to kill the antagonist at the end of the film.

"When I originally got the script, the squid was gone from the [end]," Snyder said, adding: "I was like, 'OK, well, we should try to put the squid back in the movie. We should see if that's a thing that could work.' And, really, I think the reason why we in the end decided that it was probably best not to was that it just ended up adding another ... 15 pages to the script. You know, just to kind of make that make sense. Because you couldn't just cut to it like you do in the graphic novel."

Unlike the graphic novel—where the giant city-destroying squid is revealed in a large panel once you turn a page—the movie had to lay narrative groundwork throughout its story to set up the appearance of such a creature in the end.

"I knew that ... if I spent that time with the squid, that's just time ... that I wouldn't have for ... Manhattan or Rorschach or ... the Comedian's funeral," Snyder said. "Because ... those are my favorite parts of the book, you know?" He added: "There's something elegant about [the end we chose]. If you're going to stay with the characters and the [idea of creating an] 'Other' to hate, ... there's something elegant about that Other being God. To me, anyway."

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/zack_snyder_saved_much_of_watchmenbut_about_that_ending

Really it seems the major thread of him as a creator is wanting to put more in his movies but the studio not wanting him to because then it would be too long. That's probably why MoS is my favorite movie of his, it had everything in it the way originally was planned. He didn't cut anything, the original release is 100% the director's cut. And I like the BvS ultimate edition a lot more than the theatrical version as well. One reason I'm so looking forward to the Snyder cut, maybe more so than any other film he's made he is getting everything he originally wanted in there. He apparently even found a way when filming and taking WB's notes to do it their way to show them on the dailies but then also do it the way he originally wanted. The only things that didn't make it into this were dropped early at the script level, and even some of that he has brought back. It's gonna be wild.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

I read/heard the same thing, not sure if it was a stream or article, but it did come from him, yes.

Basically he wanted it in, but that meant putting in a lot of stuff to explain the squid which meant cutting out other stuff like the funeral of the comedian, so he felt it better to cut the squid

Edit: Beaten like the comedian

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Sentinel Red posted:

But who woke them up :tinfoil:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Site, you watched Aftermath too, right?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Got about 20min into it before I quit for the night

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

site posted:

This might be a shock to you, but there was a section of the fanbase that was offended by Jax's ending. I'll let you guess why.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I really liked MK10's new generation characters, they were fun and had good chemistry and the new status quo was cool. So it was a bit of a bummer for MK11 to go "wait no, focus back on all the old dudes and also timeline reset".

They could've had Scorpion and Sub-Zero pass the mantles down to their most promising students, y'know? "Scorpion and Sub-Zero, but this time they're ninja buddies and government operatives who fight crime" writes itself!

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Fangz posted:

Getting rid of the fake alien was the one bit of Snyder's changes that I agree with. I think Moore in the book was making a point about the transformation of the mundane into the comic book reality, but that wouldn't have worked nearly as well in movie form. My issues with Watchmen was more in terms of how Snyder depicts the violence in what is a very deliberating anti-violence story, the erasure of the complexity of Ozymandias, and how he handles Rorschach towards the end. I think I also prefer Watchmen retained more of the scenes with ordinary people, but I realise cuts have to be made.

Snyder purposefully depicts the violence as uncomfortably gory and shocking

https://twitter.com/ZackSnyderBible/status/1362150119349575681?s=20

"Alan punishes you for liking comic book violence....He lures you in to a scenario where in a normal comic book film, the violence that you'd get would be morally clear, you get a little bit of punishment for assuming that everything would be glossed over and easy to understand, I think that's where the movie comes at you"

Like yeah, I'm sure there's a contingent of folks who thought it was badass when Manhattan exploded a guy and his gibbons hang from the ceiling or Nite Owl snaps a wrist clean off, but generally speaking the point is to make the audience feel uncomfortable at the levels of violence depicted.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I love Liu Kang's mk11 outfit

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

I really liked MK10's new generation characters, they were fun and had good chemistry and the new status quo was cool. So it was a bit of a bummer for MK11 to go "wait no, focus back on all the old dudes and also timeline reset".

They could've had Scorpion and Sub-Zero pass the mantles down to their most promising students, y'know? "Scorpion and Sub-Zero, but this time they're ninja buddies and government operatives who fight crime" writes itself!

Man, you're the exact opposite of me. I like Cassie but HATE the other Kombat Kidz. Well, Jacqui became okay in 11. But the two dudes sucked so much. Just totally personality free blank slates with nothing cool or unique about them.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

CapnAndy posted:

This is just an inherent problem with fighting games as they've evolved. You can staple new stuff on and tweak the old stuff but god forbid you change or remove too much. Or at least, that's the impression the internet mob gives you--it's hard to tell how it would actually translate to sales because mouthy fanboys are euphemistically holding dev studios hostage

I guess what I'm saying is that Smash Bros. needs to undergo the equivalent of Crisis on Infinite Earths until some snot nosed Geoff Johnsy game developer comes to prominence 20 years later and adds Roy back in despite there being another 10 new Fire Emblem characters who have been incorporated since

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

OnimaruXLR posted:

This is just an inherent problem with fighting games as they've evolved. You can staple new stuff on and tweak the old stuff but god forbid you change or remove too much. Or at least, that's the impression the internet mob gives you--it's hard to tell how it would actually translate to sales because mouthy fanboys are euphemistically holding dev studios hostage
Yeah, I understand that, but Mortal Kombat handles it better than most already by siloing off Story so utterly from everything else. Like, not only were there Alive Version skins of all the dead dudes in MK10, they were the default. It'd be no problem to just move on with the story and introduce new characters that way, but not actually cut the character roster because all the old guys are still there, and gently caress it, they can even have young version skins and cheeky before-match dialogue about it. You could even go another generation forward and still let people play as Liu Kang, because what, that's somehow sillier than the Joker showing up?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Starting to feel like no live action MK is gunna live up to the wild nature of these games

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, I understand that, but Mortal Kombat handles it better than most already by siloing off Story so utterly from everything else. Like, not only were there Alive Version skins of all the dead dudes in MK10, they were the default. It'd be no problem to just move on with the story and introduce new characters that way, but not actually cut the character roster because all the old guys are still there, and gently caress it, they can even have young version skins and cheeky before-match dialogue about it. You could even go another generation forward and still let people play as Liu Kang, because what, that's somehow sillier than the Joker showing up?

Reminds me of Joker in Injustice 2. The whole starting point of the story was "Superman kills the Joker" and the second game wasn't doing the "bring in characters from the mainstream universe" plot, so having Joker show up as playable made no sense. In the story mode, he only showed up as a fear gas hallucination for Harley to overcome. So in the game itself, pre-fight banter would throw out some possibilities of who he is and how he exists, and he even had an ending that acted like he was real, but it wasn't part of the story so they could really do whatever.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

MacheteZombie posted:

Starting to feel like no live action MK is gunna live up to the wild nature of these games

yeah maybe i should've waited to watch the game movies until after the new live action one came out

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

I've always felt that the first two, at least, should be layups. Movie 1 is the first game, movie 2 is the second and third, using the fact that MK2's plot is a lazy retread of MK1 to its advantage.

MK1 is a basic tournament movie, and as Bob Chipman loves to point out, "a bunch of martial artists all come to a tournament for differing personal goals" has been made approximately ten billion times and there's no excuse to get it wrong. You have Raiden explain the stakes, which are really basic (tournament every 100 years vs. bad dimension, 10 losses in a row means winning side gets to destroy the losing side, Earthrealm has lost the previous 9 so oh poo poo), Liu Kang wins, easy peasy.

MK2 should open a year later with the next tournament getting called, which breaks the rules as presented in the first movie in a way that makes it natural for the characters to demand an explanation from Raiden, who can then deliver the slightly more complicated exposition for this one: technically tournaments get called at the discretion of the losing realm at any time up to 100 years after the previous, and Earthrealm's been stalling so they waited the maximum amount of time for each one, plus nobody's ever called one this quickly because it makes no goddamn sense: all your best guys are loving dead and the dude who won is still in his prime, it's a guranteed loss. Oh and by the way, losing side hosts, so it's off to Outworld this time. Except halfway through the movie when the good guys breeze through the tournament for a much too easy win, they learn they got played: Shao Kahn didn't give a poo poo about taking a loss, he just wanted all of Earthrealm's defenders distracted while Shang Tsung did the rituals to resurrect Sindel on Earth, and now he can invade under the pretext of getting back his bride, so ha ha, gently caress you. Big Act Three invasion fight and the good guys win, except Earth's been somewhat devastated and now the way is permanently open between the two realms, so now you can do the really crazy poo poo with future movies.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I still feel like it wouldn't be very hard to just tell the story of MK1 as a very straight forward "Here is your protagonist and he's going to try and beat a 4 armed monster followed by an old wizard for the fate of Earth". The old one basically did that. They just did some silly things like completely removing the character from Sub-Zero and Scorpion. But whatever, Cole Young, we'll see.

EDIT: What CapnAndy said basically. After 2, I would adapt Deadly Alliance. Open that 3rd one with the main hero getting dunked by Shang Tsung and his new friend Quan Chi.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

site posted:

yeah maybe i should've waited to watch the game movies until after the new live action one came out

Just got the Raiden v Liu Kang fight in mk11 and it's so cool. Had to pause for a bit though.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I say start the movie at the end of MK1 and launch into the MK2 - MK3 story.

And if they get to Quan-Chi just get this guy back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c98sW6QQgc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KceAscg1XF8

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 23, 2021

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gavok posted:

Reminds me of Joker in Injustice 2. The whole starting point of the story was "Superman kills the Joker" and the second game wasn't doing the "bring in characters from the mainstream universe" plot, so having Joker show up as playable made no sense. In the story mode, he only showed up as a fear gas hallucination for Harley to overcome. So in the game itself, pre-fight banter would throw out some possibilities of who he is and how he exists, and he even had an ending that acted like he was real, but it wasn't part of the story so they could really do whatever.

Well you see there's actually three Jokers and

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

three Jokers labelled 1, 2 and 4

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Also a few months back they did an animated R-rated MK movie called Scorpion's Revenge that's pretty good. It's essentially the story of the first game, only Scorpion gets the Poochie treatment and the tournament is some vague version of Battle Royale.

It has Joel McHale as Johnny Cage, which is fantastic casting.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

Lt. Danger posted:

three Jokers labelled 1, 2 and 4

The Joker, The Smoker, and the Midnight Toker.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gavok posted:

Also a few months back they did an animated R-rated MK movie called Scorpion's Revenge that's pretty good. It's essentially the story of the first game, only Scorpion gets the Poochie treatment and the tournament is some vague version of Battle Royale.

It has Joel McHale as Johnny Cage, which is fantastic casting.

Might as well queue that up. Already down the rabbit hole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

site posted:

Jaqcui ending: The torture my father went through can be prevented, but in so doing I will never exist. This time based power is a poisoned chalice, but I'll make this ultimate sacrifice to spare him all this pain.

Jax ending: It took a couple of resets, but I made the perfect time-line. Anyone who says that you have to make sacrifices to make a perfect world is a loser and is just not trying hard enough.