Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Marcade posted:

Government, so dumb poo poo is the norm; this is minor in comparison to most everything posted here however I tried to submit a ticket to IT only to find that the only link we have for the reporting system is wrong. Help Desk insists that you submit a ticket for help. Can't submit a ticket if you can't reach the ticket system...actually, that's not dumb, that's kind of brilliant.

IT isn't doesn't get any tickets? Must be redundant let's close that department.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Outrail posted:

IT isn't doesn't get any tickets? Must be redundant let's close that department.

IT has a 100 percent successfully closed ticket rate, let's make them employees of the month and give each of them a brand new cup.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Son of Rodney posted:

IT has a 100 percent successfully closed ticket rate, let's make them employees of the month and give each of them a brand new cup.

How about a Gov branded face mask?*

*single layer, not compliant with Gov PPE standards.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Well they did fire about half of IT as "redundant" a couple years ago and gee, response times poo poo the bed. I wonder how that could happen? Of course, this is the same local government that until about five years ago did not even have a ticketing system aside from the almighty sticky notes. We do have the lowest property taxes in Texas, though!

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Marcade posted:

Well they did fire about half of IT as "redundant" a couple years ago and gee, response times poo poo the bed. I wonder how that could happen?

I had that happen during a vacation placement at a security contractor while at Uni. They’d somehow reduced the IT team at an R&D campus down to 3 people the year I arrived.

8 week placement, as a scientist & programmer:
It tools 6 weeks for someone to install and license Visual Studio on my PC.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Lmao love that the manager that isn’t my manager needs something done that’s entirely within my wheelhouse, literally my job to do for the company I work for (source and liaise with a particular type of vendor), and didn’t once think about talking to me and is now having the doing-three-jobs-at-once, about to have a total mental breakdown, personnel manager do it.

I know exactly why, because a key component of my job is to also maintain strong external relationships with these vendors and this manager will throw a fit over costs for this self serving, utterly unneeded project. Costs that are perfectly within range for said vendors.

In addition, if I was asked to do this task, I’d be well within my rights to stick up for said vendor and their reasonable pricing and attitude as to preserve a precious relationship we have with them, and this manager knows that. This manager knows I’ll push back.

I just wish the personnel manager, who is being so minutely micromanaged that they have to send HOURLY to do lists now, among other thing, wasn’t being terrorized over this goddamn thing.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

heard through the grapevine roughly how much our completely useless and underqualified director makes and how much stock options they were given. obviously not a huge surprise, but they're absolutely making bank on the backs of people who know how to do not only their own jobs but also basically do her job for her.

loving stupid-rear end society lmao god drat

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

teen witch posted:

I just wish the personnel manager, who is being so minutely micromanaged that they have to send HOURLY to do lists now, among other thing, wasn’t being terrorized over this goddamn thing.

Sympatheticbloodpressurespike.gif

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

There's a guy in my company who a few years ago was arrested at an NCAA event and was on the news because someone filmed video of him getting in a fight with police because he had been drinking, they showed his mugshot on the 11o'clock news and named him, etc.

I watched the video and apparently he was heckling and someone pushed him and he pushed them back, cops got involved and were tugging on his shirt and he was like "get off of me!" and yanked his shirt back and they handcuffed him and threw him in jail overnight for resisting.

He's a nice enough guy but it seems like that might have gotten him relegated to a sort of side-job where he's doing his own thing forever. A lot of the time he leaves work early and comes in late because he has to take care of his kids and so I think he was kind of put in a role where he's just boxed in now and they'll keep him on because he's a 20+ year employee but probably never really promote him or give him anything more to do than his current stamp-and-file job.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

AHH F/UGH posted:

He's a nice enough guy but it seems like that might have gotten him relegated to a sort of side-job where he's doing his own thing forever. A lot of the time he leaves work early and comes in late because he has to take care of his kids and so I think he was kind of put in a role where he's just boxed in now and they'll keep him on because he's a 20+ year employee but probably never really promote him or give him anything more to do than his current stamp-and-file job.

We had a whole class of these people in my previous job. For almost every function of our department you needed to have secret clearance or at the very least provisional clearance (when I was on my way out the company created a new class of employees due to how long it was taking to get people clearance so they could train while waiting for approval), but there were a few jobs you could do without it. Generally this was stuff like reviewing spec sheets or entering commercial part numbers. Those jobs were done by the long term employees who had lost their clearance for a variety of reasons, usually due to drug/DUI arrests and insane money problems. One guy had it revoked because he was going senile but the company couldn't force him to retire. It was basically a death sentence for your career as no other department would take you and you could never get to the next levels without clearance. There was some mechanism for getting it back, but most of the guys found they liked having easy work and zero pressure.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

That sounds kind of nice, actually. Couldn’t you always just move to another company if you were tired of low pressure work?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

100% would take it if it paid enough to live decently on.

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post
Imagine 70 people simultaneously singing happy birthday over Zoom.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

ClothHat posted:

lmao we did a countdown when we launched our product, so I feel you

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
My work has projects that have only one dev on them, and then acts insanely shocked when that dev inevitably leaves, and documentation isn't up to snuff, making the employee transition suck balls.

I inherited a bunch of stuff nobody understood when I came in, and when I leave I will have no backup ready, so they're at the mercy of the notes and documentation I was able to compile in the extremely little time I've been able to wrangle for that purpose.

AlphariusOmegon
May 11, 2020

Some of the poo poo I did in the Navy could totally make this thread, I just have too many to choose from.

There's of course the stuff every military person has to deal with like shoe shining and uniform inspections but you signed up for that, you knew that was coming, and it was part of the job description.

What was not included in the Job Description was the best funded organization in the history of the entire world, the US DOD, has their loving websites and network down literally 75% of the time. Sometimes I'd have to wait weeks to do a 20 minute mandatory training for the fourth time while I get reminder emails about it. I'm out now and I still get reminder emails.

And holy poo poo talk about mandatory e-mail niceties. There's actually a style manual that you will get punished for not adhering to even amongst people the same rank as you. I've still got it loving memorized.

Good Morning/Afternoon [Highest rank in the to line],

[E-Mail Body Goes here]

Very Respectfully OR V/r,

Rank, Lastname Firstname
Collateral Positions Held (No limit, so if you do 5 things you put 5 entries here)
Work Phone Number
Home Phone Number/Cellphone number

So for example

Good Evening Sir (Addressing the Ensign in the to line rather than the Senior Chief)

Trainings have been completed as requested.

Very Respectfully,

YN2 Omegon, Alpharius
SomethingAwful poster
N1 Department Training POIC
N1 Department Morale Coordinator
N17 Division Watchbill Coordinator
N17 Division Volunteer Coordinator
Work # 800-867-5309
Cell # 877-CASH-NOW

For EVERY SINGLE EMAIL EVER SENT

Oh and god forbid you're sending an e-mail after their office hours, because they'll read it in the morning and you'll get asked why it said "good afternoon/evening"

Oh, and what if there's a high ranking guy in the CC line but not the To line? Address the lower ranking person in the To line, and hope the guy in the CC line doesn't yell at you for calling him PO1 or something even though he just asked to be CCd for his records not because he's part of the work being done, because Chief has to receive every e-mail his division or department sends no matter what.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

SkyeAuroline posted:

100% would take it if it paid enough to live decently on.

If I was in their situation I would have run with it, too. This was an office job with a union (that they all hated) which made it nearly impossible to fire anyone and meant you got regular raises based on how long you had been with the company and a cost of living increase every December. Stick with the company long enough and you could top out at nearly $40 an hour ($36 something when I left). The least you would make was $18/hr. Overtime was time and a half. This is a fairly rural part of New England and this was the one huge employer around and it easily paid more than anyone else nearby, especially when you consider the department I was in required no special training and a just a High School education.

Everyone should be so lucky to find that kind of job, really. I don't blame anyone who just did the bare minimum and went home with a good paycheck. For the most part they were harmless and never really caused me any problems and by taking them off of high priority programs and projects they really had no impact besides taking up space and wandering around the office to talk about the Patriots.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Reminds me of tales of the ”rubber room” in the New York school system.

The teachers unions are so strong that it’s essentially impossible to fire them, almost no matter what they do.

Instead they’re suspended on full pay. They can’t be trusted to teach, but do have to report to an office somewhere and just hang out.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

wooger posted:

Reminds me of tales of the ”rubber room” in the New York school system.

The teachers unions are so strong that it’s essentially impossible to fire them, almost no matter what they do.

Instead they’re suspended on full pay. They can’t be trusted to teach, but do have to report to an office somewhere and just hang out.

this was the plot of an episode in a tv show... but i can't remember which one

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Silicon Valley

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

AlphariusOmegon posted:

And holy poo poo talk about mandatory e-mail niceties. There's actually a style manual that you will get punished for not adhering to even amongst people the same rank as you. I've still got it loving memorized.

For EVERY SINGLE EMAIL EVER SENT

90% of the emails I get from the army reserve start:

Team, (excusing rank)

Which seems to work for most short of the chief of defence force.

Anyway, what reading this and the BFC corporate thread has taught me is that my 10 person work with it's timesheet/client/invoicing software programmed by a local in visual fox pro (whatever that is) has more automated billing and admin than most global corporations, even if the things you enter doesn't always match up with the field you enter them into very well.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Saalkin posted:

Silicon Valley

not that one

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ClothHat posted:

I don't have to, it descends into chaos within seconds.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Kimmy Schmidt, though I imagine there's a few.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Volmarias posted:

Kimmy Schmidt, though I imagine there's a few.

Mmmmm maybe. Apparently it was in the Simpsons too. I guess it is pretty common

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Mmmmm maybe. Apparently it was in the Simpsons too. I guess it is pretty common

The joke on Kimmy Schmidt was that she had a night school teacher who was actively trying to go there, because he hated teaching at this point but didn't want to give up the salary and benefits. Kimmy originally plans to complain about him not actually teaching them, but when she learns this reason she gets the class to extort him by threatening to not report anything unless he does a good job from now on.

It probably is a common joke.

E: apparently it was indeed a Simpsons gag

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 23, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Today, as I wrack my brain over how the hell to deal with our own software:
All product identifiers are generated by a random number generator.
No collision protection except manual intervention.
You can do the math.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

SkyeAuroline posted:

Today, as I wrack my brain over how the hell to deal with our own software:
All product identifiers are generated by a random number generator.
No collision protection except manual intervention.
You can do the math.

Lol, can you make the number long enough so there's no chance of a collision like a guid?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Just add a few dozen more digits and let probability do its thing.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Pekinduck posted:

Lol, can you make the number long enough so there's no chance of a collision like a guid?

Nope. Software written in 1988! 9 character limit. 30 years of running random numbers and saving them. And the RNG only supports 0-9 despite the field supporting full alphanumeric characters.
I proposed having the characters represent individual options & the leading 4 or 5 represent the item, so it's immediately visible what something is from the SKU and so the entry process is consistent (and to save me from my ongoing shitshow of "figuring out how to write duplicate checking into my code that isn't allowed any access to anything but the data rendered to the end user", but that's not officially on the table yet). It's been taken into consideration for the next time the database is overhauled.
There has never been a previous time and management has canceled every previous attempt.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yikes. Are we in COBOL country?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

The only interface I have with the software is a proprietary fork of Visual Basic from a mid-90s update. What it was before that? I have no idea. The actual software being written in COBOL is not out of the question. I'd ask the developer if they even existed in the past decade.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Good luck.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SkyeAuroline posted:

Nope. Software written in 1988! 9 character limit. 30 years of running random numbers and saving them. And the RNG only supports 0-9 despite the field supporting full alphanumeric characters.

my last job's data entry/filing systems weren't much better. 14-character limit, ran off a combination of PARADOX and Wordperfect 6.2 frankensteined into more modern stuff like office/quickbooks

the owner coded it himself back in the early 90's so he stonewalled or sabotaged any attempts to update it

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Oxxidation posted:

my last job's data entry/filing systems weren't much better. 14-character limit, ran off a combination of PARADOX and Wordperfect 6.2

the owner coded it himself back in the early 90's so he stonewalled or sabotaged any attempts to update it

Sounds about right. I think we're still having it sold as a "great return on investment".

Meanwhile, as we're working at sub 5% of the speed we were able to work in the other division using a completely different software arrangement...
Still working on a semi automated solution. Main stumbling blocks are this and an issue with the software desyncing from the database software & modified VB doesn't support what I need in order to make the sync scripts work properly.
Chipping away every day though.

Surprise performance evals announced, to go back to strict thread topic...

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

My department is undergoing its 3rd reorganization this year and this one is supposed to make my annoying coworker a supervisor, as a transparent way for the director to kick off more of his duties onto his underlings. This change was supposed to happen "in two weeks" and has been on that time frame for several months now. As of the meeting today it seems like its actually supposed to happen by tomorrow, and now my annoying coworker will essentially be my boss and approve my time cards.

I applied to a lot of places today

titty_baby_ fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 24, 2021

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Bunch of recent posts are making me recall an intro to business management course I took in college and a huge takeaway from it was that happy employees = increased productivity. And that the way to achieve happy employees (and therefore increased productivity and improved bottom line) was to observe, listen, sympathize, figure out what they need in order to be happier and then give them that. And a lot of the time, it’s not increased compensation, it’s basic QoL poo poo like having the shift at the factory start earlier so the workers can dodge rush hour and have more evening time with their kids, providing appropriate tools/equipment, identifying and removing an ineffective/toxic manager, and if an otherwise solid employee is suddenly having trouble/less productive, figure out why by listening and then accommodate rather than fire.

This was just an entry level course available to lowly undergrads and the making employees happy bit seemed so loving obvious. But I guess that’s not how late stage hell-capitalism works and that the higher-ups making stupid, damaging decisions are too out of touch, stupid, greedy, self-serving, shortsighted, psychopathic, or some combination of the above to actually think things through and just run poo poo into the ground given enough time.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Businesses, in practice, don't exist to be successful. Overall performance isn't something that matters to the individuals in decision making roles; they're there for the money and the position of power and authority, and the second one goes to people's heads real quick.

For a business to focus on the things that actually boost productivity, like worker happiness and quality infrastructure, it's got to start with ownership. But 9.99.../10 times the unwillingness to compromise their power and authority, even when it would have a direct monitary benefit for them, will undermine any such efforts long before they start.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
People talk about managing up. That is learning how to manage your manager so your work/life is more efficient/tolerable.

My director likes to micromanage a bit. A lot of the time it's honestly appreciated, but sometimes it's a bit much and that needs to be on my terms, not his. The answer? Go to him for guidance. Or to run things by him. Or ask if he'd like to make any alterations before I send it out. But do it a lot. Actually do it all the time. Aaaallll the loving time. For everything. Constantly.

He doesn't want to get involved so much anymore. Managing up.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Queen Victorian posted:

Bunch of recent posts are making me recall an intro to business management course I took in college and a huge takeaway from it was that happy employees = increased productivity. And that the way to achieve happy employees (and therefore increased productivity and improved bottom line) was to observe, listen, sympathize, figure out what they need in order to be happier and then give them that. And a lot of the time, it’s not increased compensation, it’s basic QoL poo poo like having the shift at the factory start earlier so the workers can dodge rush hour and have more evening time with their kids, providing appropriate tools/equipment, identifying and removing an ineffective/toxic manager, and if an otherwise solid employee is suddenly having trouble/less productive, figure out why by listening and then accommodate rather than fire.

This was just an entry level course available to lowly undergrads and the making employees happy bit seemed so loving obvious. But I guess that’s not how late stage hell-capitalism works and that the higher-ups making stupid, damaging decisions are too out of touch, stupid, greedy, self-serving, shortsighted, psychopathic, or some combination of the above to actually think things through and just run poo poo into the ground given enough time.

Some of these things might be "free" financially, but expensive in regards to political capital. And then there's the ones that outright cost money, and welp that's capex and not opex, and can't do anything about that with this budget, sorry.

There's certainly a level of negligence or malevolence but "what if we give the employees better tools bing bong so simple" isn't always as easy as it sounds.

Also, that toxic manager is the CFO's golfing bud, sorry, you're going to get the boot before they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Outrail posted:

People talk about managing up. That is learning how to manage your manager so your work/life is more efficient/tolerable.

I treated my previous boss like he was a goldfish and didn't have a memory that extended beyond five minutes. I just made sure to be the last person to talk to him before he went into a policy meeting so he would just parrot what I thought was right.

I somehow got away with this for several years. He wasn't a bad manager or a dumb guy; I would say he's the best boss I had before my current job, he was just not sure how certain things needed to be structured and gave me a lot of leeway because I had dealt with the system before.