Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

also phantom blood was kind of intended as like victorian horror mixed with fist of the north star. a fair amount of the encounters in the series can be traced to araki trying to do some sort of horror scenario for better or worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

as jank as it was, I liked the idea of the PS2 Golden Wind game where it's kinda a 3D brawler but with really unconventional battle situations.

also Street Fighter 5 giving Seth a bunch of Jotaro and DIO's moves made me really want Capcom to make a Heritage for the Future successor

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Zinkraptor posted:

I’m standing by my opinion that a JoJo point and click adventure game makes the most sense.

I thought about making one of these but Id have to reaalllllly think out how to approach running into a wtf Stand and then how you use your Stands abilities like items in the environment to beat it while treating it like a mystery.

Also, I'd have to break the rule of the enemy Stand user being the most ridiculous looking person in the area, which is missing part of the fun.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Hear me out: Danganronpa

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
just have ridiculous looking people scattered about as NPCs. Then have a regular looking person be the first enemy stand user. These two things will set the expectation that ridiculous looking people exist in this world and anyone can be a stand user (even normies)

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Augus posted:

as jank as it was, I liked the idea of the PS2 Golden Wind game where it's kinda a 3D brawler but with really unconventional battle situations.

Yeah, this could be refined more but the Phantom Blood/Golden Wind PS2 games have the right idea going on, but need further refinement.

quote:

also Street Fighter 5 giving Seth a bunch of Jotaro and DIO's moves made me really want Capcom to make a Heritage for the Future successor
The closest we've gotten to a proper 2D jojo fighter is the Persona 4 Arena games. It's still not the same.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

just have ridiculous looking people scattered about as NPCs. Then have a regular looking person be the first enemy stand user. These two things will set the expectation that ridiculous looking people exist in this world and anyone can be a stand user (even normies)

I was thinking about doing that too because it's funny; issue is, the enemies aren't supposed to stand out to JoJos protagonists at all so when you're playing as one, you gotta have them blend in. I'll just make everyone sassy and posing if I do it.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the options are either to make everyone totally wild or make everyone mostly normal but when you discover the stand user they pull a Polnareff and you can just watch their artstyle shift

'it's that construction worker!'
construction worker erupts in goh goh goh as he slips his hand onto his waist and twists arrogantly toward you, revealing the several buttons on his suspenders, his hat falling off to reveal a weird haircut

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Do the Yakuza 7 thing where the protagonist is brain damaged from Dragon Quest obsession and hallucinates enemies to be wacky dudes like flashers, kung-fu masters etc while the normal people see them as thugs/Yakuza members

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
McPixel would also work as a template, as long as it was not followed 100% since each scenario in that game is super super super short because it's a bunch of jokes instead of attempts at the tenser situations you get out of jjba.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the more i think about it the more i want an early resident evil-style stone ocean game

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Everybody looks normal and boring until you find out their name, at which point their model changes into an insane Jojo character model.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

poo poo

it's just angriestpat and peachsaliva

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I will sketch out some ideas next week and see what you guys think.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Best possible JoJo game would be an Elite Beat Agents ripoff.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

This would be the ideal video game.
Not just JoJo, the medium of video games. Especially with a boss battle with Kiryu as a bonus content. Kiryu doesn't get a stand, he can just punch stands because he rules.

Kiryu can't get a stand because Judgement is already taken.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Dragonwagon posted:

Kiryu can't get a stand because Judgement is already taken.

Kiryu and Majima have a combined Stand,「Friday」

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Majima IS Kiryu's Stand, he just broke loose, went rogue and is constantly picking fights w his user to make his soul and body stronger. And it works, bc the user always wins.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

「2 4 H O U R C I N D E R E L L A」

Is right there y'all

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Today is a Diamond

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Kiryu and Majima have a combined Stand,「Friday」

「BAKAMITAI」

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
BSV Chapter 2 is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upXr1bl8F2M

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I was thinking about the whole Phantom Blood/Les Miserables stuff and I thought it was odd that Araki adapted parts of Les Mis for Dario's background and Dio's history but kept them evil rather than learning any kind of lesson from it and then I realized that Araki actually did use something similar that was more in line with Jean Valjean's redemption, the entire situation with Speedwagon. Joseph did the exact same thing later with Smokey and we know Smokey went on to become a political leader but he was largely uninvolved in the events of Battle Tendency but Speedwagon works as basically the same kind of situation as Dario & Dio but actually reflecting and becoming an honest man (well he becomes an oil baron but it's jojo and jjba already is bizarre enough by having rich people who actually care about society and try to help them which is why Jobin is interesting in that he's a more realistic depiction of a rich person rather than the Joestar family or SPW foundation who serve as mountains on which other lesser, more unfortunate people may stand on to reach greater heights).

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Still not enough posing.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
This is seriously impressive. The story also seems to be shaping up nicely, and I like the character designs a lot (especially the guy with the bat(?) who I'm going to assume might possibly be from the US).

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I’m catching up on JoJolion and I have to wonder is chapter 88: The Return of Fun Fun Fun the most violent moment in JoJos? It’s gotta be really high up there.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Very clever and evil of Ricepirate to end the episode before we see those two dickbags get their just desserts.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

Torquemadras posted:

Part 8 will live or die, depending on whether ice motorcycle maid appears again and does awesome stuff

I'm reading this whole thread from the top because that's the kind of person I am, and I hope to see Torquemadras again going absolutely APE in about sixty pages.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

a fact i learned today is that most every song in the recent game 'loop hero' is named as a pretty direct jojo reference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfg8zTyrxQw

putting it here because some of these would be manga spoilers technically, even if they're not overt or direct in a lot of cases

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
ya, that was a fun notice. It's a great game, too!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah i'd already been interested in it so i'll probably pick it up. i ended up learning this because someone said they probably drew inspiration from araki for the designs of certain characters if the ost song names were anything to go by.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Alopex posted:

I'm reading this whole thread from the top because that's the kind of person I am, and I hope to see Torquemadras again going absolutely APE in about sixty pages.

I was young and naive back in... 2019?

Wow you're bored

I have not given up yet, though. Time shenanigans. TIME SHENANIGANS. (pounding fists on the table. The neighbours are calling the police. I am dragged away) TIME SHENANIGANS

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Josuke still has to get King Crimson!!

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Torquemadras posted:

I was young and naive back in... 2019?

Wow you're bored

I have not given up yet, though. Time shenanigans. TIME SHENANIGANS. (pounding fists on the table. The neighbours are calling the police. I am dragged away) TIME SHENANIGANS

There's a nonzero chance we're about to see Part 8 Bites the Dust

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

overmind2000 posted:

There's a nonzero chance we're about to see Part 8 Bites the Dust

It sure bites already!

:stat: :wal:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’m ready to see this Old Man bite the dust already that’s for sure

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
no it was rock bug

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Can't wait for the reveal that the guy who saved Josuke and his mom was actually part 8 Josuke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i would send araki a bottle of ruinously expensive liquor if he actually did that contingent on when i am able to afford ruinously expensive liquor