Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

evilpicard posted:

Baking With Mealworms

The goddamn milling your own flour man. I bought 25 lbs of bread Flour at Costco for $6.79. It's clean and I don't have to mill it, and two bags to equal his 50lbs is like $3 more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

StormDrain posted:

The goddamn milling your own flour man. I bought 25 lbs of bread Flour at Costco for $6.79. It's clean and I don't have to mill it, and two bags to equal his 50lbs is like $3 more?

look at richie rich over here, lighting $3 on fire like he couldn't buy 15 more pounds of flour AND get mealworms with it.

:guillotine:

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

StormDrain posted:

My costco has four different varieties of all purpose flour but never any breadflour. Pisses me off.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

StormDrain posted:

You're losing all the mealworm proteins like that

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The "lean preppers" are actually kind of sad. If they weren't financially and (likely) personally terrible people, I'd feel bad about posting them.

The concept of a community for people who are already poor or in debt to discuss the best way to buy $3,000 worth of MREs and cow feed is like an Onion article.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Unfortunately a lot of it ends up being irrational and counterproductive hoarding behaviour and performative frugality even if they're genuinely trying.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

gvibes posted:

My costco has four different varieties of all purpose flour but never any breadflour. Pisses me off.

Not a good value if you are buying it specifically to make bread, but if you want to have both all purpose and bread flour you can substituting all purpose and spoonful of vital wheat gluten for bread flour works well.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Yoinked this one from r/relationships but hilariously BWM

Serephina posted:

Less trash-fire than it is furniture-fire, but today there was an update from a 3 years old throwaway:

UPDATE My best friend [22F] is giving up a full-ride scholarship to be with her boyfriend of >3 months

quote:

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/7awaf0/my_best_friend_22f_is_giving_up_a_fullride/

Just found this throwaway account and thought I should give an update! My friend and I are now 25, and we’re still close. She did transfer schools and lose her scholarship. She also graduated late because of the transfer. In all, it cost her more than $30k in student loans, which she regrets.

Things did not work out between her and her boyfriend. He really wanted to live a party boy lifestyle with her at home to cook and clean up after him. They broke up one year after she transferred. She still had a semester left, which was really difficult and lonely because she had no friends aside from him and his social circle.

After graduation, she got a job as a teacher in her hometown. So she does have a way to pay back the loans! She’s pretty happy. She’s now engaged to a different guy she started dating ~2 years ago. They got together right after she moved home. Yes, it’s fast, but they live together with no issues. They aren’t going to start planning a wedding until COVID eases up. She’s less gullible now and more skeptical of her mom’s advice. Her experience really opened her eyes to the consequences of her choices.

TL;DR My friend learned an expensive lesson, but her life turned out okay. She ended up where she probably would have if she didn’t transfer, but $30k in a hole. She’ll be the first to tell you to prioritize your future over a short-term relationship!

gently caress, I mean, how do you get 3.5 years into a degree and think "Yea, this new thing can't wait so I'll just effectively bin my studies rather than finishing the last 6 months". Even as a young idiot I knew half a year is not long to power through

edit: Hilariously, reddit is trying to give this person advice on what to do next. Morons.

Lady Homunculus
May 22, 2017
Lurker who loves BWM. I was caught in the Texas ice nightmare last week and lost power and heat. As I watched the thermostat needle plummet in my poorly-insulated house I couldn't stop thinking about that stupid Mr. Money Mustache thread where they were comparing how low they could turn their heat down while keeping their kids alive.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

irrational and counterproductive hoarding behaviour and performative frugality even if they're genuinely trying.

See also reddit.com/r/frugal

quote:

I printed my dissertation on the blank side of my ex's artwork

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Motronic posted:

Yeah, if you have a required full building suppression upfit like sprinklers it's hardly worth doing on a lease for a restaurant. Hell, the kitchen is hardly worth doing - it takes the first idiot with deep pockets to get that ball rolling.

Even worse when you consider FOG abatement.

Local code here requires at minimum a 1000 gallon exterior buried vault grease interceptor, scaling up rapidly based on peak meals per hour and hours of operation. That is a brutally huge expense for a new buildout, as in an existing building you're talking tearing up the parking lot and replumbing the space to put it in at minimum. So restaurant spaces stay restaurant spaces.

( Edit: woah, week old tab.)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

This company Sezzle has started showing up in some places I visit with ads that unsubtly suggest you buy things you can't afford and pay it off over installments. Apparently they let you pay 25% on a purchase and pay an additional 25% every two weeks, no interest or fees if it goes down exactly like that. No, fees! You can "reschedule" your repayment one time but if you reschedule more than once for a given purchase you get clipped for $5 each time, and since you're paying these guys via a credit card (tee hee), debit card, or ACH you could always get a payment declined and eat $10 from Sezzle plus whatever your bank throws at you for NSF. They pull a credit check when you sign up and claim that they do some FICO-like evaluation before approving a given purchase. Overall seems like another great way to get nibbled to death by fees.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
QVC payment plans for millennials.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

QVC payment plans for millennials.

it's so they can get their fancy socks and avacado toasts (maybe avacado toast socks) on payment plans, these kids these days don't make enough and need to bootstraps.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Lady Homunculus posted:

Lurker who loves BWM. I was caught in the Texas ice nightmare last week and lost power and heat. As I watched the thermostat needle plummet in my poorly-insulated house I couldn't stop thinking about that stupid Mr. Money Mustache thread where they were comparing how low they could turn their heat down while keeping their kids alive.

look on the bright side: you didnt die and youre not stuck with a Texas sized power bill!

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Midjack posted:

This company Sezzle has started showing up in some places I visit with ads that unsubtly suggest you buy things you can't afford and pay it off over installments. Apparently they let you pay 25% on a purchase and pay an additional 25% every two weeks, no interest or fees if it goes down exactly like that. No, fees! You can "reschedule" your repayment one time but if you reschedule more than once for a given purchase you get clipped for $5 each time, and since you're paying these guys via a credit card (tee hee), debit card, or ACH you could always get a payment declined and eat $10 from Sezzle plus whatever your bank throws at you for NSF. They pull a credit check when you sign up and claim that they do some FICO-like evaluation before approving a given purchase. Overall seems like another great way to get nibbled to death by fees.

There’s one getting popular in the UK called Klarna. Also, PayPal have just started doing ‘pay in 3’ to jump on the bandwagon.

I just talked to a young colleague who is constantly complaining about his low salary and his rent and costs but then had to break off as someone was at his door delivering a pair of £140 trainers. He must have seen my face because he said ‘paying on Klarna’.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Alan Smithee posted:

look on the bright side: you didnt die and youre not stuck with a Texas sized power bill!
Dumb question, but how much money did the people now stuck with those massive power bills save over the lifetime of the billing plan as compared to the more traditional billing plans? Did everyone on the flex plan get a $10k bill, or just the idiots in McMansions who cranked the heat to max the second power was restored?

On the one hand, $10k power bills for single family houses shouldn't exist, and traps like this one shouldn't exist.

On the other hand, I'd be a bit steamed if I'd been paying $100 more per month for a balanced power bill rate for a decade and then having my tax dollars used to bail out the people who had been paying the lower rate all along.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

My understanding is that the traditional system worked similar to insurance and these people essentially opted out. So they saved money by not paying for the “insurance” but then were exposed to the real rates when they spiked 100x.

Whether people knew what they were signing up for besides “save 10% on your AC bill” is debatable of course.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dik Hz posted:

Dumb question, but how much money did the people now stuck with those massive power bills save over the lifetime of the billing plan as compared to the more traditional billing plans? Did everyone on the flex plan get a $10k bill, or just the idiots in McMansions who cranked the heat to max the second power was restored?

They were playing with the spot price market, whether they realized that or not, and no it didn't take a McMansion. "Normal" rates are like $0.10/kWh, things went to $9 (legally mandated maximum) for DAYS. In a place with basically uninsulated houses and sub freezing temperatures.

Note how in absolutely none of the articles hand wringing over who's going to foot these bills for the individuals as well as intermediate power companies and cities that buy their own like Denton is it ever mention that perhaps the power generators who were gouging based on low demand should be told they're taking a haircut and getting normal rates. Couldn't do that, because the people who own the power generation are the wealthy people with the real power, and they need their windfall.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Feb 24, 2021

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Motronic posted:

They were playing with the spot price market, whether they realized that or not, and no it didn't take a McMansion. "Normal" rates are like $0.10/kWh, things went to $9 (legally mandated maximum) for DAYS. In a place with basically uninsulated houses and sub freezing temperatures.

Note how in absolutely none of the articles hand wringing over who's going to foot these bills for the individuals as well as intermediate power companies and cities that buy their own like Denton is it ever mention that perhaps the power generators who were gouging based on low demand should be told they're taking a haircut and getting normal rates. Couldn't do that, because the people who own the power generation are the wealthy people with the real power, and they need their windfall.
I guess what I'm trying to understand is how much of those $10k bills is attributable to 'hoarding' style behavior? The natural response is to max your thermostat the second power comes back on because it might go out again. But that just makes everything worse for everyone.

The particulars of how to design an equitable power gird are probably outside the scope of this thread.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

The socially optimal distribution of energy price risk probably has retail consumers paying a fixed price and progressively larger entities with capital deciding if they want to hedge or not.

At the same time, you are going to have someone looking at the retail price versus the wholesale price and thinking the middleman is ripping them off.

Thinking about the people who do FSBO to try and save the brokerage fee and end up with fewer and lower bids.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Motronic posted:

:stare:

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Dik Hz posted:

I guess what I'm trying to understand is how much of those $10k bills is attributable to 'hoarding' style behavior? The natural response is to max your thermostat the second power comes back on because it might go out again. But that just makes everything worse for everyone.

The bigger problem was distributors deliberately holding back on supplying energy to keep the price pegged at the maximum, rather than the behaviors of individual consumers

John Kelly
Nov 19, 2004

I'm just sayin', I don't like fun
Taco Defender
Keep in mind this isn't the first time people were stuck paying high prices for their electric bills due to using index pricing. Something similar happened during the summer of 2019 when demand shot up forcing some people to pay $100-$200 per day. This index pricing (at the very least) should be illegal as it keeps burning people time and time again because people focus on the $/kWh rate and not the fact they are buying power directly on the market.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

The Chairman posted:

The bigger problem was distributors deliberately holding back on supplying energy to keep the price pegged at the maximum, rather than the behaviors of individual consumers

Weren't nobody holding back on nuthin'. The generating capacity simply wasn't available - the cold knocked out lots of power plants at the same time it sent demand soaring.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

The Chairman posted:

Isn't this what Enron did in California like 20 years ago?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

SlapActionJackson posted:

Weren't nobody holding back on nuthin'. The generating capacity simply wasn't available - the cold knocked out lots of power plants at the same time it sent demand soaring.

It's been reported some plants turned their power off due to rising prices for nat gas, this way they wouldn't lose money you see. There are HEROES out there man.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 24, 2021

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

If there was collusion in selling power, that would be interesting, because the incentives for each individual power company are going to be to sell as much as possible as their marginal supply on its own isn’t going to move the price.

Enron in California was a treasure trove of emails and chat messages detailing how they abused California’s power market, but Enron was in a huge proportion of the power transactions at the time so they were way more able to move prices.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

tater_salad posted:

It's been reported some plants turned their power off due to rising prices for nat gas, this way they wouldn't lose money you see. There are HEROES out there man.

NYMEX Natural gas spot market looks to have spiked 10x, but ERCOT electricity spiked 100x. Maybe transmission/local supply issues further goosed the gas price in TX, but there's still a huge profit margin in the cost of your inputs vs value of your outputs there.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

SlapActionJackson posted:

NYMEX Natural gas spot market looks to have spiked 10x, but ERCOT electricity spiked 100x. Maybe transmission/local supply issues further goosed the gas price in TX, but there's still a huge profit margin in the cost of your inputs vs value of your outputs there.

The PUC order the price of power generation to be raised by ERCOT to the cap in order to bring more power online because plants were not operating. There was a small window of time in which power generation via natural gas was operating at a loss. They also claimed it was to bring curtailment of industrial customers, but that's a seperate gently caress up.

Statement from the PUC

PUC Comission Report posted:

ERCOT informed the Commission that a computer glitch was preventing that maximum price
from being applied. Because this penalty was not being applied, the power dispatch
system was actually taking megawatts off of the grid. The Commission ordered ERCOT
to correct that problem manually.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

John Kelly posted:

Keep in mind this isn't the first time people were stuck paying high prices for their electric bills due to using index pricing. Something similar happened during the summer of 2019 when demand shot up forcing some people to pay $100-$200 per day. This index pricing (at the very least) should be illegal as it keeps burning people time and time again because people focus on the $/kWh rate and not the fact they are buying power directly on the market.

Why are variable price electrical contracts for consumers even necessary in the first place? If a consumer really wants to dip their toe into that water, couldn't they just get a fixed price utility bill and buy options on power spot markets?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Why are variable price electrical contracts for consumers even necessary in the first place? If a consumer really wants to dip their toe into that water, couldn't they just get a fixed price utility bill and buy options on power spot markets?

everything must be financialized at all times

e:

https://twitter.com/AlexCKaufman/status/1364578167231565825

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 24, 2021

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If you're a accredited investor yes, but these spot price plans are mostly through hip energy startups that prey on people walking into the front doors of home depot and offer things like "green energy only" plans. Your upside is measured in 10's of dollars and your downside is measured in thousands of dollars, but most people don't understand what they are actually jumping into and the street canvassing sellers aren't gonna bring it up.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

In theory, you want customers to use less power when it's scarce.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Everyone knows you're supposed to fly to Cancun when your power prices go up to $9/kWh during a blizzard

John Kelly
Nov 19, 2004

I'm just sayin', I don't like fun
Taco Defender

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Because Texas. If you loved cell phone contracts then you'll love buying electricity plans here. Case in point, many of my plans over the years had a fee for not using enough electricity in a given month (typically 1000 kWh per month).

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

SpartanIvy posted:

Everyone knows you're supposed to fly to Cancun when your power prices go up to $9/kWh during a blizzard

Stop using electricity in Texas and start using electricity in Cancun is a perfectly fine way to save money when prices go up to $9/kWh.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
From that article:

This doesn't include the unlimited downside risk of being stuck with a five or six figure bill to keep your heat on for four days so your family doesn't die.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

God bless deregulated for-profit markets for essential services :patriot:

One of these days it'll be me with my boot on the necks of the poor, and when that day comes people like me better watch out!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Dik Hz posted:

In theory, you want customers to use less power when it's scarce.

Yeah, variable plans seem fine with a bit of regulation to cap the risk for consumers. That actually seems to have happened here but at $9 instead of like $0.9 for some reason?