Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

swickles posted:

I feelnits disinguine to say the Hilk brought back everyone safely but also Thanos's actions led to more than a 50% death rate. All the stones together confer omniscientents as well as omnipotence, so snapping out birds and bugs probably wasn't an issue. In fact it probably solved a lot of endangered species since the breeding pairs were survived

Honestly, the writers should of basically kept it to all sentient life because "half of all life of all species" seems like the ecological devastation is too much. Also, i think they could of explored a little bit that Thanos didn't put himself in the random genocide because he clearly used the stones to survive. I KNOW why he had to from a narrative stand point but it would of been an interesting way to end his quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mooseontheloose posted:

Honestly, the writers should of basically kept it to all sentient life because "half of all life of all species" seems like the ecological devastation is too much. Also, i think they could of explored a little bit that Thanos didn't put himself in the random genocide because he clearly used the stones to survive. I KNOW why he had to from a narrative stand point but it would of been an interesting way to end his quest.

I don't know how much there is to explore. Thanos couldn't include himself in the people he killed because if he did then the heroes would just pick up the stones from where they fell and undo what he did. The only way to make sure what he did stayed done was to destroy the stones after he'd done it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Mooseontheloose posted:

My recollection is that everyone at Marvel says that Thanos didn't exclude himself, he just got lucky with the coin toss.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
I think there has to be some level of intelligent execution going on when using the stones. They might be alive in the comics? Anyway - if there wasn't, you'd have to be like "okay, and make sure you move the air out of the way before rematerializing this person, because if you don't they would either die or explode"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I’m so glad they make fun of Penance.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mooseontheloose posted:

I'm pretty sure you're meant to recognize that Thanos was wrong and didn't think past "balance". Like, yes, he caused untold ecological and social devastation. That's the point. That's why he's the villain that they're going so far as to invent time travel to stop.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

seaborgium posted:

It's dumb, but I remember the press around the time of the films. They said it was something Thanos thought he needed to do, basically a psychological tick so he wouldn't accidentally access the power. If it was just every thought like "Hey, I'd like some ice cream" and then all of sudden 5 tons of mint chocolate chip landed on him that would be bad for him. Having to snap his fingers allowed him to concentrate on the thing he wanted done. All the heroes were probably doing the same thing.

It was said that they had to put a gesture behind the use of the Stones for the sake of not making Thanos TOO overpowered. Every time he uses the Gauntlet before having the full set, he activates the Stones by clenching his fist. During the fight on Titan, you can see him unable to use his powers when his hand is forced open. If all he needed was his thoughts, then the fight would have been extra pointless.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm pretty sure you're meant to recognize that Thanos was wrong and didn't think past "balance". Like, yes, he caused untold ecological and social devastation. That's the point. That's why he's the villain that they're going so far as to invent time travel to stop.

Thing is, the whole idea that they basically go 'we're not going to prevent it in the first place, we live with the consequences' gets kinda silly.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It's a comic book movie. Arguing about why the green radioactive guy, the unfrozen guy from WW2, and the Norse god of thunder didn't use time travel to stop the giant purple guy with a magic glove before he turn half of the universe into dust is inherently silly.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Snackmar posted:

I think there has to be some level of intelligent execution going on when using the stones. They might be alive in the comics? Anyway - if there wasn't, you'd have to be like "okay, and make sure you move the air out of the way before rematerializing this person, because if you don't they would either die or explode"

But this is what I'm saying about them being able to do literally anything.

They don't have to be 'alive' (although yeah I'm pretty sure people live in them and stuff in the comics) or intelligent, you can just make the wish "do what I want but do it right, how I want it". Given that you don't have to say anything out loud, they clearly work on intention, and again, they can do anything, so "How would that work" doesn't matter, because "have it come out my way without me knowing how that would work" falls under 'anything'.

It literally doesn't matter if the physics doesn't work, they change REALITY ITSELF so that it does. The only weird part that you can actually nitpick is that Thanos didn't add any "no backsies" elements to it, like having everyone immediately come around to his view as well.

But any of these sorts of mistakes, with the stones doing something "weaker" than they should, like Iron Man dying in the process (just wish yourself more powerful first, idiot) you can hand wave as a failing of the character, so they don't hold any water.

But any time you think "it wouldn't work like that" yes, it would, because they also wished that it would work like that.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Thing is, the whole idea that they basically go 'we're not going to prevent it in the first place, we live with the consequences' gets kinda silly.

Eh I get it with their theory of time travel, they can't prevent it, it already happened. All they can do is restore the people who were unceremoniously killed.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mooseontheloose posted:

Eh I get it with their theory of time travel, they can't prevent it, it already happened. All they can do is restore the people who were unceremoniously killed.

It’s less that, especially since their theory was shown to be wrong, and more that preventing the snap makes Tony’s daughter cease to exist. Which he very understandably won’t even consider.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Phylodox posted:

It’s less that, especially since their theory was shown to be wrong, and more that preventing the snap makes Tony’s daughter cease to exist. Which he very understandably won’t even consider.

Not just Tony's daughter. Every living creature that has been born in those last five years would cease to exist. It would be mass murder on galactic scale, which is why the heroes don't do that.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Daddy Thanos is a himbo, not very smart. Very strong, but not too bright

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

!Klams posted:

But any of these sorts of mistakes, with the stones doing something "weaker" than they should, like Iron Man dying in the process (just wish yourself more powerful first, idiot) you can hand wave as a failing of the character, so they don't hold any water.

I just view that as a condition like the soul stone has, and you have to be strong enough to survive using them or die for the wish to come true. So you could wish yourself strong enough, but it'd only improve your corpse, because that one condition can't be overcome; just like anyone killed by the soul stone can't be revived.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

The third Tom Holland Spider-Man movie just got an official title of "Spider-Man: No Way Home" with this image:

(Note the numerous hexes throughout the image)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Klungar posted:

The third Tom Holland Spider-Man movie just got an official title of "Spider-Man: No Way Home" with this image:

Huh, look at the branching lines coming off the hexagons. I wonder if that’s the visual representation they’ll use for mapping divergent universes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Loki premieres 6/11

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hello I would like a low-stakes Spider-Man movie where he takes on Scorpion or Kraven or Chameleon and nobody else with no cameos from other Marvel characters and no tying up of plot threads from other movies, please. Thanks.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Klungar posted:

I'm ngl, I'm cackling at all the discarded quarantine references and the angry comments attached. That's how you do black humor.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Hello I would like a low-stakes Spider-Man movie where he takes on Scorpion or Kraven or Chameleon and nobody else with no cameos from other Marvel characters and no tying up of plot threads from other movies, please. Thanks.

I'm sorry, that's not on the menu. Can we give you a Spider-Man movie with all the Spiders-Men?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Mooseontheloose posted:

I'm sorry, that's not on the menu. Can we give you a Spider-Man movie with all the Spiders-Men?

Okay as long as Spiders-Man doesn't show up.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Zil posted:

Okay as long as Spiders-Man doesn't show up.

Mods ban this filth

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
I had wondered if Disney+ was going to double up Star Wars and MCU series releases on the same day of the week, seems like that will be the case, with both Bad Batch and Loki hitting on Fridays. Unless Bad Batch ends up being way shorter than we think, or split into 6-7 episodes release phases, with a few month breaks in between.

Teek fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 24, 2021

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Edmund Lava posted:

Mods ban this filth

Never forget.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I don't know why, but "Unusual Features: A hive-mind of thousands of spiders with the memories of Peter Parker" is really funny to me.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Edmund Lava posted:

Mods ban this filth

What can I say, I'm an arachnophobic and the character art always freaks me out.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Organic Lube User posted:

But if it was half of all life across the board, how many survivors were suddenly cured of diseases as enough of an infection was snapped out of their bodies to allow their immune systems a chance (and then they die of some other aspect of societal collapse)?
Thanos killed half of all AIDS viruses.

Like others have noted, the Stones aren't monkey's paws or inhabited by legalistic djinns or daemons. Assuming that channeling their power doesn't instantly kill you before you make your "snap" you get the letter and spirit of your wish. with the only direct consequences being those that you specify. Note "direct consequences." Indirect consequences and fatalities are still possible (A guy lived in a house and was Snapped. Five years later another couple lives there. The guy suddenly appears and the couple shoots him thinking that he's a burglar.

Meanwhile, regarding the Snap, didn't that start as a metaphor? When/why did it morph into an actual physical requirement for the Stones' use? What, somebody gives you an Infiinity Gauntlet but cuts your thumbs off so you can't use it? How stupid is that?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Would Spider-Mans-Man be a body horror concept?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Everyone posted:

What, somebody gives you an Infiinity Gauntlet but cuts your thumbs off so you can't use it? How stupid is that?

Once again energy beings get the shaft.

Marsupial Ape posted:

Would Spider-Mans-Man be a body horror concept?

Cameron's version toyed with body horror for regular ol Spider-Man.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Zil posted:

I'm an arachnophobic

have you considered just maybe not doing that

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Klungar posted:

Those are literally chemicals. Peter makes his own webfluid, and chemistry is built on a ton of 6 membered rings. Pretty sure it's just to show it's sciencey rather than a reference to Wanda.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

seaborgium posted:

Those are literally chemicals. Peter makes his own webfluid, and chemistry is built on a ton of 6 membered rings. Pretty sure it's just to show it's sciencey rather than a reference to Wanda.

I thought that, too, but I would prefer it to be a Wanda reference. This is America and I have a right to impose my emotionally satisfying version of reality on you.

Marsupial Ape fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 24, 2021

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Ok, so, today Film Robert posted a video, and while he is a shithead on social media who Lindsay Ellis hilarious destroyed, I still enjoy his actual content. So I watched it, and it had two very interesting speculations for Wandavision based on some very deep-cut Comics Lore, and I thought I would share them in spoilers here because I find them very interesting and the second one at least potentially insanely huge:

1) The Yomagic Yogurt commercial where the kid wastes away trying to open the food the shark gives him was a clue about Agatha's ultimate plan. She, the Shark, has being creating problems for Wanda that force her to expend more and more of her powers to keep the Hex going, so that she would eventually have nothing left to protect herself or anyone else inside from Agatha. More importantly, in the 2013 Vision comic series (which was about Vision and other robots living in the suburbs) Agatha became associated with a plant called a Vundergore Everbloom, which if you feed it to someone and then kill them and consume the partially digested plant will give you the power to see the future. Some version of that may be what those purple vines are, and may be her ultimate desire for Wanda and/or The Twins.

2) Most of us noticed that Agatha's house is surrounded by purple flowers, the same color as her magic. Wanda's house happens to be surrounded exclusively by red and pink flowers. And there is one other character who's been associated with flowers: Dottie Jones. This episode revealed that Dottie's flowers around her house are all Yellow. And it just so happens that in Marvel there is a blonde-haired female magic user with yellow-colored magic powers who's last name is Jones AND WHO'S HUSBAND'S NAME IS PHIL. That magic use is Arcana, member of the Squadron Supreme. Which by the by is a name that Marvel trademarked several months back on the sly and never made any announcements about

So yeah. That's all pretty interesting in a nerd catnip kind of way.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Sanguinia posted:

2) Most of us noticed that Agatha's house is surrounded by purple flowers, the same color as her magic. Wanda's house happens to be surrounded exclusively by red and pink flowers. And there is one other character who's been associated with flowers: Dottie Jones. This episode revealed that Dottie's flowers around her house are all Yellow. And it just so happens that in Marvel there is a blonde-haired female magic user with yellow-colored magic powers who's last name is Jones AND WHO'S HUSBAND'S NAME IS PHIL. That magic use is Arcana, member of the Squadron Supreme. Which by the by is a name that Marvel trademarked several months back on the sly and never made any announcements about

I just looked up Arcanna’s wikipedia. She has four dead children. Huh...”for the children”, indeed

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

seaborgium posted:

Well two of the hexagons are chemicals, bottom right benzene and top 2-hydroxybenzoic acid (I think?), 2-hydroxybenzoic acid is used in anti-acne cream so that could be a joke or coincidence or I got the chemical wrong I dunno I'm not a chemist.

The other hexagon sets don't appear to be chemicals, the one by home sweet home and the one by homesick. Could be a sneaky reference to alternate universes or just some other sciency stuff.

EDIT: Oh there's another benzene related chemical on the far left I didn't notice, can't tell what it is.

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 24, 2021

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Xachariah posted:

Well two of the hexagons are chemicals, bottom right benzene and top 2-hydroxybenzoic acid (I think?), 2-hydroxybenzoic acid is used in anti-acne cream so that could be a joke or coincidence or I got the chemical wrong I dunno I'm not a chemist.

The other hexagon sets don't appear to be chemicals, the one by home sweet home and the one by homesick. Could be a sneaky reference to alternate universes or just some other sciency stuff.

EDIT: Oh there's another benzene related chemical on the far left I didn't notice, can't tell what it is.

Those other two you're talking about are a substituted cyclohexyl ring and some sort of fused ring system. If you want to think they're just hexagons that's fine, but I don't think it has anything to do with the Hex from WandaVision.

The far left one looks like an aromatic ring with some non-carbons in it, but it's too blurry to identify. Maybe a substituted pyridine or something like that.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

Everyone posted:

Like others have noted, the Stones aren't monkey's paws or inhabited by legalistic djinns or daemons. Assuming that channeling their power doesn't instantly kill you before you make your "snap" you get the letter and spirit of your wish. with the only direct consequences being those that you specify. Note "direct consequences." Indirect consequences and fatalities are still possible (A guy lived in a house and was Snapped. Five years later another couple lives there. The guy suddenly appears and the couple shoots him thinking that he's a burglar.

Meanwhile, regarding the Snap, didn't that start as a metaphor? When/why did it morph into an actual physical requirement for the Stones' use? What, somebody gives you an Infiinity Gauntlet but cuts your thumbs off so you can't use it? How stupid is that?

It was a dramatic flourish that Thanos used to show off to Mistress Death what he was doing for her, IMO. All of the universe/reality altering stuff he did later in the comic didn't need anything but focusing (and a speech bubble because comics after all)

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

seaborgium posted:

Those other two you're talking about are a substituted cyclohexyl ring and some sort of fused ring system. If you want to think they're just hexagons that's fine, but I don't think it has anything to do with the Hex from WandaVision.

The far left one looks like an aromatic ring with some non-carbons in it, but it's too blurry to identify. Maybe a substituted pyridine or something like that.

Well it doesn't really matter if it is a cheeky reference or not, it's already heavily rumoured Spiderman 3 involves a multiverse, along with Multiverse of Madness and potential multiverse in WandaVision, everything is multiverses anyway.

Far left could be 2,4-Dibromophenol which is "found in certain molluscs and crustaceans" so obviously this whole thing is teasing the existence of CRAB PEOPLE in Spiderman 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Xachariah posted:

Far left could be 2,4-Dibromophenol which is "found in certain molluscs and crustaceans" so obviously this whole thing is teasing the existence of CRAB PEOPLE in Spiderman 3.

We already know Charlie Cox is showing up, why not Mike Colter too?