Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Donner has a pitch-black sense of humour, is the long and short of it. Superman is a smiling symbol of American wholesomeness, so naturally he's whaling on some guy who pissed him off and ignoring child abuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The first Reeves movie feels kind of weird in retrospect, with him spending most of his time taking out jewel thieves and tells the prison guards he's on the same side as them, and I can't help but think that any given prison guard is probably responsible for more suffering than any given jewel thief. He also spent like ten years being... brainwashed or something by the ghost of Jor-El, before coming out as Superman fully formed?? Reeves himself is amazing but I don't think Superman as an inspirational hero gets the best stuff to work with in that film

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've never watched the Reeves Superman films but they sound uh

interesting

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Guy A. Person posted:

When he beats up the guy in the diner he's also doing stuff that's so obviously "super" that he might as well be wearing the suit. And imagine Superman in his suit just beating the stuffing out of a diner bully, it's kinda whack

Nah if he was in his suit it would be better. It would hark back to like Golden Age Superman seeing a guy hitting his wife and then beating the poo poo out of him.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

RBA Starblade posted:

interesting

You should actually watch them. They are honestly as weird as anything Snyder has done. I like them a lot, they are what made me a Superman fan at a young age.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Nah if he was in his suit it would be better. It would hark back to like Golden Age Superman seeing a guy hitting his wife and then beating the poo poo out of him.

I've said it before, but the wild thing about that scene is that Superman flat out picks a fight with the guy. He comes up right up and insults him, and does typical tough guy bully stuff. Doesn't even try to reason with him or be the bigger man about it. It's an inversion of what the guy did earlier but it's honestly beneath the character, and yet nobody cares.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

RBA Starblade posted:

interesting

If you want to see a good Superman performance, Christopher Reeve is the guy to beat. He's great as Superman being tall, powerful and imposing but weirdly nice, and he's great as Clark Kent being a complete nerdy cowering wuss, and there's at least one bit where he switches back and forth between the two onscreen in a matter of seconds

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

2house2fly posted:

If you want to see a good Superman performance, Christopher Reeve is the guy to beat. He's great as Superman being tall, powerful and imposing but weirdly nice, and he's great as Clark Kent being a complete nerdy cowering wuss, and there's at least one bit where he switches back and forth between the two onscreen in a matter of seconds

From all accounts, people who joked about how no one could have been fooled by Clark Kent pretty much all went 'Suddenly, I get it."

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Donner’s Lois Lane is introduced writing an exploitative article, about a ‘sexy’ rape-murder, that she hopes will make her famous because of the “ethnic angle”.

The article is also poorly written, and Perry immediately rejects it for being beneath the standards of the publication.

Imagine if they put racist, incompetent sleazebag Lois in a movie today.

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Donner’s Lois Lane is introduced writing an exploitative article, about a ‘sexy’ rape-murder, that she hopes will make her famous because of the “ethnic angle”.

The article is also poorly written, and Perry immediately rejects it for being beneath the standards of the publication.

Imagine if they put racist, incompetent sleazebag Lois in a movie today.

Would be used as further evidence Snyder hates women. LMAO what a hosed up discourse we've created for ourselves.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Man given the back story that's actually come out about what actually went down when Snyder left the JL production, WB and Whedon really had the stones to put in the opener a song with the lyrics

quote:

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded
Everybody rolls with their fingers crossed
Everybody knows the war is over
Everybody knows the good guys lost
Everybody knows the fight was fixed
The poor stay poor, the rich get rich

huh.

Also, with the "anonymous WB exec"

quote:

Everybody knows that the boat is leaking
Everybody knows that the captain lied
Everybody got this broken feeling
Like their father or their dog just died

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Would be used as further evidence Snyder hates women. LMAO what a hosed up discourse we've created for ourselves.

It’s the Kirk drift effect. Like the power fantasy stuff in the other thread, where batman killing makes him too much like the punisher or whatever. The image of the character being put forward doesn’t really have anything to do with any specific interpretation but a vague sort of idea of who the character is or what they should be, just like whatever fantasy the punisher(the iconography etc) is for cops has little to do with stories about said character.

Like, even though this is preaching to the choir, the image of Snyder that his harshest 'critics' have or even more broadly within pop culture, has nothing to do with Zack Snyder - queue bvs quote.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

RBA Starblade posted:

interesting

They're absolutely a trip.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/ray8fisher/status/1364643265421664263?s=19

:kstare:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Like I said in the other thread, if it was anyone other than Fisher who said that I would have assumed they were joking.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Man given the back story that's actually come out about what actually went down when Snyder left the JL production, WB and Whedon really had the stones to put in the opener a song with the lyrics

I remember an article from before Snyder left that mentioned he was using a Leonard Cohen song to open the movie, so I think it'll still be there in the Snyder Cut, maybe just using the original version rather than the cover.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Now that the CW show is out, is the discourse as tiring as any time some Snyder thing is announced? Because it sure looks like it.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Jimbot posted:

Now that the CW show is out, is the discourse as tiring as any time some Snyder thing is announced? Because it sure looks like it.

anytime you a see "finally, GOOD modern Superman!" or whatever tweet, tell them their show was made by racists lol

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Robot Style posted:

I remember an article from before Snyder left that mentioned he was using a Leonard Cohen song to open the movie, so I think it'll still be there in the Snyder Cut, maybe just using the original version rather than the cover.

I would actually love to have had either being set as the denouement pre-credits song of (what we assume Snyder's vision of) the JL movie.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Equeen posted:

anytime you a see "finally, GOOD modern Superman!" or whatever tweet, tell them their show was made by racists lol

Something something Randian crypto-fascist something something. It's gotten to the point where I can see how these conversations would play out.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I've seen this clip going around with some people going "Finally Superman is back, nice to see that guy".(not this poster this, this poster actually defends Snyder in the replies)

https://twitter.com/lesbobomb/status/1364390267818676226?s=19

It's a cute little interaction more or less ripped from a pre-existing comic, Superman for all Seasons

But looking at it it's just bizarre to me. It's shot from the kids pov but Superman is made to appear smaller than him? Reminds me of that weird Vin Diesel/Rock scene in one of the later Fast and Furious movies. Like I hate to say "bad direction" but I honestly have no idea what they were going for. I could see making Superman an Everyman, but I think that's a vain effort and if that's what you wanted to do you'd frame it from his perspective and have the child appear large.

What's this about the show makers being racist?

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Can someone explain this tweet for me? I'm lost.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
A comics writer that idolized the 60s and 70s to an unhealthy degree turned out to be a pretty huge racist. Weird I know!

E: also he got put in charge of the movies and TV shows because nerds were mad online about Snyder.

Dreqqus fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 24, 2021

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Before Superman shows up, Donner Lois’ best-known article is a proto-clickbait “exposé” on how old people are loving. She considers this to be headline news.

The joke, of course, is that Lois jumps on the Superman story because she thinks he’s ‘sexy, violent, and ethic’ in much the same way as the East Side Rapist.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I've seen this clip going around with some people going "Finally Superman is back, nice to see that guy".(not this poster this, this poster actually defends Snyder in the replies)

https://twitter.com/lesbobomb/status/1364390267818676226?s=19

It's a cute little interaction more or less ripped from a pre-existing comic, Superman for all Seasons

But looking at it it's just bizarre to me. It's shot from the kids pov but Superman is made to appear smaller than him? Reminds me of that weird Vin Diesel/Rock scene in one of the later Fast and Furious movies. Like I hate to say "bad direction" but I honestly have no idea what they were going for. I could see making Superman an Everyman, but I think that's a vain effort and if that's what you wanted to do you'd frame it from his perspective and have the child appear large.

What's this about the show makers being racist?

Go through this thread:

https://twitter.com/nadriatucker/status/1364359933337112576?s=21

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Can someone explain this tweet for me? I'm lost.

https://twitter.com/richardlnewby/status/1364655551997759497?s=21
https://twitter.com/richardlnewby/status/1364656144191488002?s=21
https://twitter.com/richardlnewby/status/1364656703975936000?s=21

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

edit: you know what? it's Twitter poo poo, it doesn't matter at all.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 24, 2021

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

huh.

Also, with the "anonymous WB exec"

I wonder if "I tried" will still be in the Snyder Cut.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Glad Army of the Dead is finally coming out. I've been hyped for it ever since details of Snyder's script came out in 2011.

quote:

There's an extra dimension to this zombie film, because they…. they…. I'm still wondering if I should tell this…. the male zombies rape human females. Yes. And they have human hybrid zombie offsprings. It's a new take on the zombie genre, which is crazy.

visionary

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

This is just a clip of a nice man smiling. I like to see nice people smiling so I guess I don't hate it, but there's nothing else there apart from that it looks like it has a Man Of Steel colour filter

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I was under the impression that Snyder wrote that out.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Huge surprise here, mid-30s C-SPAM poster who writes like a GBS teen from 2003 drops a drive-by shitpost. Great stuff, thanks for stopping by.

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

well why not posted:

quote:

Snyder has spent much of the past decade occupied with building the DC Extended Universe, directing Man of Steel, Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice, and Justice League. However, the director departed the latter project at the end of principal photography, citing a need to take time to deal with the grief of his daughter's suicide, and handed Justice League off to Joss Whedon for completion. Snyder has described Army of the Dead as a "palate cleanser," saying that, "There are no handcuffs on me at all with this one."

That's a somewhat ominous statement in light of what we know about the original script for Army of the Dead. When the movie was in development back in 2008, then-director Matthijs van Heijningen Jr. told io9 that the movie would feature a plotline in which "the male zombies rape human females... And they have human hybrid zombie offsprings." However, The Playlist reports that, according to a source close to the production, Snyder's movie script is "completely redone" and will not feature any of the zombie rape elements of the original.

https://screenrant.com/zack-snyder-army-dead-script-changes/

https://theplaylist.net/zack-snyder-netflix-zombie-film-20190130/

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

Glad Army of the Dead is finally coming out. I've been hyped for it ever since details of Snyder's script came out in 2011.

visionary

Hmm

I'm sure glad Snyder wrote that

I'm sure glad that the article specifically mentions that it was Snyder's script, too, and not just you poo poo posting.

Also, I'm sure

gently caress it you're not worth this

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/horror/zack-snyders-army-of-the-dead-rewritten-to-remove-controversial-zombie-rape-scenes-a166154

You're dumb

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

visionary

That quote is from the writer not Snyder. He was fired and the whole thing rewritten.

A decade old article you couldn’t even bother to read.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

well why not posted:

Yeah, that 10 year old article also mentions the plot is about a father trying to save his daughter from a quarantined Las Vegas, which seems to be a totally different movie from the mercenary heist film that actually got made.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Unless they're heisting people 🤔

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Doesn't even look like he was responsible for that version of the script either.

Man, the kind of dumb poo poo fly-by losers come in here to post about. Folks need to find a hobby, maybe even a life.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

2house2fly posted:

Unless they're heisting people 🤔

What a zombie infection if not grand theft corpus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Get ready to have your MIND BLOWN!!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadgirl