Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

yes but not so fast, you also have to take a grenade-tier power supply bundled in to raise the price an extra $150

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Shear Modulus posted:

Is this "newegg shuffle" thing that people keep referring to basically just newegg letting you put your name in a hat whenever they get some cards in stock to see if you can buy one?

yeah demand radically outpaces supply so some places have set up a lottery. i feel like people were expecting it to get better by april and now that feels extremely unlikely.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Doctor Nutt posted:

As someone who would love to have a current gen card and is stuck on a lovely busted fan Zotac 1070 your friend being a little bummed about having a "lower-end" 3070 can go gently caress themself, no offense.

Buy some replacements, they’re 20 bucks, this is what I used for mine which is the amp edition and they’re fine, temps went right back to where they should’ve been
=https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CZJGDSN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_1MEFZQTJ20F5NAE34B4P?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
So is there some way to disable ansel? my fullscreen games, even non steam/etc drm free games, keep minimizing themselves randomly and I've turned off everything in startup not labeled MS and the general opinion of 2 year old threads on google is that it's a overlay issue, have tried the nvinspector method, tried the going to system32/driverstore/etc opening powershell typing "NvCameraEnable.exe off" both methods bounce an error my way, all other "fixes" lead to files or folders that don't exist anymore, don't even know if this is the problem but I'm out of ideas.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

hobbesmaster posted:

Buy some replacements, they’re 20 bucks, this is what I used for mine which is the amp edition and they’re fine, temps went right back to where they should’ve been
=https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CZJGDSN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_1MEFZQTJ20F5NAE34B4P?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

But if I simply solve my fan problem I will feel less justified in lashing out angrily at the state of current gpu availability.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Paul MaudDib posted:

somehow I doubt there is going to be any volume in those SKUs though. With the market the way it is they'll move everything they've got in ten seconds flat at 50% over MSRP regardless, so why do it.

I eventually got my 2 fan 3060ti that i signed up for on release day which was the cheapest one :) I actually need to do something with that.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
apparently the price i had been quoted had changed - evga had just put up it's prices in this region i think in response to brexit stuff? - but because the email i got had the old price and i was charming and polite the dude gave it to me at the old RRP. cannot recommend scan highly enough if you're shopping in the UK, extremely happy with my purchase.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

So is there some way to disable ansel? my fullscreen games, even non steam/etc drm free games, keep minimizing themselves randomly and I've turned off everything in startup not labeled MS and the general opinion of 2 year old threads on google is that it's a overlay issue, have tried the nvinspector method, tried the going to system32/driverstore/etc opening powershell typing "NvCameraEnable.exe off" both methods bounce an error my way, all other "fixes" lead to files or folders that don't exist anymore, don't even know if this is the problem but I'm out of ideas.

Turn off the nvidia overlay in geforce experience?

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Indiana_Krom posted:

Turn off the nvidia overlay in geforce experience?

I don't have geforce experience installed

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

mA posted:

I mean the difference between a "lower end" and "high end" 3070 means what in the most extreme scenario? A few percentage points difference in performance on average (assuming that this discrepancy isn't just random variance)? If you hit the silicon lottery, maybe 5% - 10%? It's sad to hear that your friend is getting bummed out over this insignificant stuff given that he hit the lottery by being able to buy one.

I was over the moon when I got mine. My friend got all frowns when he got his 3070 because the temps might be higher.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

CoolCab posted:

yeah demand radically outpaces supply so some places have set up a lottery. i feel like people were expecting it to get better by april and now that feels extremely unlikely.

If I can get a 3080 before Christmas I will consider myself lucky.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

TacticalHoodie posted:

I was over the moon when I got mine. My friend got all frowns when he got his 3070 because the temps might be higher.

it's got three fans, i mean poo poo it's gonna keep it cooler than it could reasonably boost. it gets a little louder than some cards to do and you might need to load up afterburner or precision to put a little bit more aggressive fan curve on it but his limit will almost certainly not be thermals. he's fine.

e: in fact as i recall it has the exact same cooler as the 3080 which is to say pretty significantly overengineered for this role. it's a real good card.

CoolCab fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 24, 2021

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

It's a long shot, but you perhaps don't have Logitech Options software installed do you?

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

CoolCab posted:

apparently the price i had been quoted had changed - evga had just put up it's prices in this region i think in response to brexit stuff? - but because the email i got had the old price and i was charming and polite the dude gave it to me at the old RRP. cannot recommend scan highly enough if you're shopping in the UK, extremely happy with my purchase.

How did you manage to get it from scan? I've been keeping an eye on them but they've not had any stock available for a while.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

It's a long shot, but you perhaps don't have Logitech Options software installed do you?

nah I don't

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Ebola Dog posted:

How did you manage to get it from scan? I've been keeping an eye on them but they've not had any stock available for a while.

CoolCab posted:

I got an EVGA XC3 Ultra 3070 for 584 quid delivered after about a week of looking which I am very happy with. In my case it was a report from a stock discord that scan.co.uk were accepting order requests via their messaging service then parleying that into talking to a sales rep on the phone because "well, your other rep said to call this number" and being polite and kind in my interactions with a very very tired sounding salesperson at 1728 on a Friday. I also as aftercare wrote a very kind letter thanking him personally to his customer service department, then following their request putting a very positive review up on Trustpilot. I got very, very, very very very lucky, but cards do exist and a combination of fortune and being nice managed to get me sorted. I recommend it - these reps go from being screamed at by miners to being screamed at by gamers, and a little honey goes a long way.

in this specific instance they got a shipment of cards in but for whatever reason weren't putting them on the website right away, something was down or something? anyway following other people in the discord i put in a request via their automated message system, got a pricelist and could use that as an in. i suspect it happens somewhat frequently given they appear to have their own backend for telesales calls but i also heard chatter that the sales reps got told off for wasting their time answering these calls all day, no idea how true it is.

so, mostly luck.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

CoolCab posted:

in this specific instance they got a shipment of cards in but for whatever reason weren't putting them on the website right away, something was down or something? anyway following other people in the discord i put in a request via their automated message system, got a pricelist and could use that as an in. i suspect it happens somewhat frequently given they appear to have their own backend for telesales calls but i also heard chatter that the sales reps got told off for wasting their time answering these calls all day, no idea how true it is.

so, mostly luck.

Thanks, what discord were you following?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Ebola Dog posted:

Thanks, what discord were you following?

oh i've left it since, i just googled "3060ti stock discord"

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is there anyone in thread either already using, or is actively looking for, an AMD RX 6000 card? Just curious.

I'm not looking at all, but they were available I'd buy one.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

While I'd prefer the better RT support of a 30something, I would definitely consider a 6800XT. But I'm not yet willing to pay scalper prices.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

TacticalHoodie posted:

I think it's great that there's so much access to information and benchmarks around GPUs nowadays, but I think a not so good side effect is that this environment also promotes a type of neuroticism (e.g. an unhealthy version of informed consumer) where even during a historic GPU shortage, you torture yourself over some trivial differences that would only matter in a tiny number of scenarios because you watched a Gamers Nexus benchmark video.

mA fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 24, 2021

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://twitter.com/GameSpot/status/1364681540425383939

Maybe something is happening?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol they make it sound like he cares about game consoles when the real impetus for the government to get involved is that car companies can't get the chips they need

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
maybe they shouldn't have so many computers in cars

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Access to affordable means-tested next gen consoles for disadvantaged communities making less than 75k a year

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

I mean it’s great and all but realistically it wouldn’t make any changes in the near to medium future.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

mA posted:

I think it's great that there's so much access to information and benchmarks around GPUs nowadays, but I think a not so good side effect is that this environment also promotes a type of neuroticism (e.g. an unhealthy version of informed consumer) where even during a historic GPU shortage, you torture yourself over some trivial differences that would only matter in a tiny number of scenarios because you watched a Gamers Nexus benchmark video.

This whole situation really showed me that if buyers lack their own personal heuristics for buying decisions, then they are not going to get something that is good enough for their situation. Like I understand my friend wanted a 3080 but he has a 1440p, 165hz monitor. I was in the same position when I was trying to buy one since September. However, it made no sense when I am not driving 4K and the scarcity of 3080 cards in Canada makes it next to impossible to get one unless you have insane luck. Hell, he was more upset that the 3080 he was trying to get got sold out when he was trying to put in the security code for his credit card on checkout.

Personally I use reviews to temper my expectations of a product or idea, because I sometimes I expect too much out of things i purchase. I don't do what Reddit does and have to rank every product, deconstruct every bit of information as evidence and endgame every purchase I make. If it is good enough for me, then it's great.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
He could rescind the 25% tariffs ...

... for Pell grant recipients that have started a small business after graduating.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

TacticalHoodie posted:

This whole situation really showed me that if buyers lack their own personal heuristics for buying decisions, then they are not going to get something that is good enough for their situation. Like I understand my friend wanted a 3080 but he has a 1440p, 165hz monitor. I was in the same position when I was trying to buy one since September. However, it made no sense when I am not driving 4K and the scarcity of 3080 cards in Canada makes it next to impossible to get one unless you have insane luck. Hell, he was more upset that the 3080 he was trying to get got sold out when he was trying to put in the security code for his credit card on checkout.

Personally I use reviews to temper my expectations of a product or idea, because I sometimes I expect too much out of things i purchase. I don't do what Reddit does and have to rank every product, deconstruct every bit of information as evidence and endgame every purchase I make. If it is good enough for me, then it's great.

Eh, 1440p 165hz is still difficult to drive in newer games even for a 3080. Sure, you'll "only" get about 100-140 FPS but if you really want the most out of it it won't be wasted. Then of course there's games coming out which are going to load on RTX effects and drop those framerates back down to 50-80 FPS.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

lol they make it sound like he cares about game consoles when the real impetus for the government to get involved is that car companies can't get the chips they need

Yeah, lobbyists are causing this. Is it really just car companies though? I think it also might be other American corporations like Amazon, Google, Netflix, and really any other corporations with huge server farms.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

The Biden administration is going to be nothing but EOs to form committees to review/investigate whatever issue to make it seem like things are happening lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Gadfly posted:

Yeah, lobbyists are causing this. Is it really just car companies though? I think it also might be other American corporations like Amazon, Google, Netflix, and really any other corporations with huge server farms.

Car companies have had to idle production because they couldn't get chips in time. Thats a much larger impact than anything from the cloud providers so far.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

jisforjosh posted:

The Biden administration is going to be nothing but EOs to form committees to review/investigate whatever issue to make it seem like things are happening lol

yeah he promised a return to pre-trump normalcy and he's already delivering

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

The Gadfly posted:

There are a lot of companies who are pretty concerned about the current state of affairs, where large chunks of the US economy effectively depend on one company who just happens to live right next to China.

'course whatever efforts the government attempts to utilize to coax fabs back to the US are gonna take the better part of a decade to mean anything, but that doesn't mean they're a bad idea.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I mean, on a basic level, having some of the most critical part of your digital infrastructure situated on the friggin island of Taiwan is probably cause for concern, regardless of how hard people have lobbied the administration.

e: oh ffs

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What caused the chip shortage for cars?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Startin' to get 80's sci-fi vibes where all the stuff produced in the future is of inferior technological development and quality than stuff that was produced at some distant point in the past :ohdear:

Zarin fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 25, 2021

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Just in time manufacturing will never fail us! Lets just pocket the savings and give our wonderful intelligent CEOs massive bonuses because nothing will ever cause a disruption in supply chains

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Shipon posted:

Eh, 1440p 165hz is still difficult to drive in newer games even for a 3080. Sure, you'll "only" get about 100-140 FPS but if you really want the most out of it it won't be wasted. Then of course there's games coming out which are going to load on RTX effects and drop those framerates back down to 50-80 FPS.

well i mean i want all 165hz in games like apex and doom (haven't played eternal yet) - twitchy action and particularly shooter and esports titles, i don't need it in a more cinematic experience like cyberpunk or witcher 3 so long as i have adaptive sync. anything over 60 is OK and anything over 90 is great there imo - i don't think that's "wasted" - it doesn't need to be used in every application.

plus your CPU will be the bottleneck some of the time in a ton of games/scenarios anyway. i definitely still notice dips although i only have a 3300x - when you throw a CPU heavy task in it like looking at the whole map in apex i go as low as 70-80? that's fine, i don't get in a lot of fights before i've left the jumpship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Everyone is saying it's because surging demand for laptops and webcams and other poo poo people were buying during covid ate up all the supply. The car makers probably canceled orders of chips when they scaled back production last year and now they want to put new orders in to TSMC et al but they're in the back of the line behind everyone that's been ordering for the past year.