Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

McGavin posted:

:wrong: Save everything on your desktop. :smug:

You joke but this was a legit problem a few weeks back. Very important product file could only be found with a ton of critical data missing. Nobody could figure it out, aforementioned coworker insisted she had been saving it in the same place every time.

She had a connection issue and was prompted to "save as", and is so Windows un-savvy she didn't realize that could save in another location, didn't know how to even find her own files except "opening the last one she closed", and didn't know how to read file directories. So it was saved to her desktop, she somehow couldn't find it, and so nothing that was getting saved was actually saving.

Just not intervening and letting the consequences of her actions come back from here on out. Enough of a headache the first several times around, it's been months, you should at least know how to use Windows...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

AHH F/UGH posted:

Here's the best email I ever got from one of our field techs. No information, no context, no nothing - just three words, his typical Windows 3.1 background, and his name.

This is poetry

Play posted:

Especially when the cause is basically guaranteed to be "subpar internet connection" every single time

Especially when people click anywhere to just make it go away, or when they think that they are rating the content of the meeting, or just poo poo voting, or

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

McGavin posted:

:wrong: Save everything on your desktop. :smug:

Argh gently caress, flashbacks to my last job which was mostly staffed and run by creative types. "Oh that file's on my desktop, hang on" <proceeds to minimise every window one-by-one, before spending 10 minutes carefully scrutinising every square inch of their desktop, covered in disused icons>

I was the only "data" person in the entire 30 person company, and definitely the only person with any real understanding of computers and how they operate. Which really sucks when people figure that out, and your IT support structure is entirely external. After 5 years there I'd finally managed to convince everyone to use version numbers, rather than "final final FINAL FINAL - updated FINAL (sent to client final)".

These days I'm self employed, so any file management or IT support fuckups are, well, mine

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

webmeister posted:

Argh gently caress, flashbacks to my last job which was mostly staffed and run by creative types. "Oh that file's on my desktop, hang on" <proceeds to minimise every window one-by-one, before spending 10 minutes carefully scrutinising every square inch of their desktop, covered in disused icons>

I was the only "data" person in the entire 30 person company, and definitely the only person with any real understanding of computers and how they operate. Which really sucks when people figure that out, and your IT support structure is entirely external. After 5 years there I'd finally managed to convince everyone to use version numbers, rather than "final final FINAL FINAL - updated FINAL (sent to client final)".

These days I'm self employed, so any file management or IT support fuckups are, well, mine

My favorite was when they would name something "part inspection instructions - NEW" and I was like "What happens when we need to change the file again?" "Hmm, I dunno!"

They named it "Part Inspection Instructions - NEW - NEW" :doh:

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Zarin posted:

My favorite was when they would name something "part inspection instructions - NEW" and I was like "What happens when we need to change the file again?" "Hmm, I dunno!"

They named it "Part Inspection Instructions - NEW - NEW" :doh:

Part Inspection Instructions - NEW - Latest - LATEST_12_27_2019 - Do Not Use - FINAL (2).

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

My company uses Salesforce for managing client accounts and creating cases when they have issues with our service. My team, along with a few others, have access to Salesforce for responding to cases that our tier 1 tech support aren't able to address. Basically tier 1 tech support would forward the cases to us, we'd respond, and they'd parrot our response to the client, usually loving something up in the process.

Some genius realized that since our responses don't go directly to clients, only tier 1 TS needed actual Salesforce accounts, and everyone else could use a generic Salesforce account to respond to cases, and TS would forward our responses using their individual accounts. Salesforce doesn't like multiple people using one account as it fucks with their per-person licensing model.

But at the time their API didn't have the same restrictions. Some poor dev person got tasked with creating an internal web application that would mirror Salesforce's functionality through API calls, allowing everyone who had lost their Salesforce license to view/update client accounts and support cases through a horrible interface that sent everything to actual Salesforce using a single generic <companyname> account.

The UI was shockingly bad. Viewing a client's account page presented all the info that Salesforce had, but the designer decided to do away with extraneous UI elements like "Save" buttons. Instead each field on the page would send an update to Salesforce once it lost focus. Halfway down the account page there was an Account Status field populated with a drop-down list of statuses. I've no idea how, but it would steal mouse pointer focus from the page. So using the scroll wheel to scroll down the page it would get stuck on that field and scroll to the last item in the drop-down list, which was "Terminated". This would then get automatically sent to Salesforce and the client account would be terminated, literally by any random user scrolling down the page.

The poor dev guy who singlehandedly made it left within weeks of it going live.

It lasted about 3 months before being abandoned and the company re-purchasing Salesforce licenses for everyone, at much more cost than the licenses we had before.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Has anyone ever reported their employer for using pirated software and got a reward?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Blue Moonlight posted:

Part Inspection Instructions - NEW - Latest - LATEST_12_27_2019 - Do Not Use - FINAL (2).

Are you on the ETL team from any job I've ever had??

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Our mandatory gratitudes in our monthly standups are different in February. So we can express love and admiration for coworkers it is a secret admirer gratitude. You have been assigned a coworker you aren't fond of. You must express why you are grateful for this person. :(

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Our mandatory gratitudes in our monthly standups are different in February. So we can express love and admiration for coworkers it is a secret admirer gratitude. You have been assigned a coworker you aren't fond of. You must express why you are grateful for this person. :(

Say you're grateful that you hardly ever have to interact with them

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Hyrax Attack! posted:

jesus christ that's dire

NapalmWeasel
Aug 10, 2012

Play posted:

I use periods between every word of the filename. I know, I'm a dirty pervert

Literally worse than underscores.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Hyrax Attack! posted:

"Whenever I'm worried that I'm not good enough for this team, Todd is always there to reassure me"

NapalmWeasel
Aug 10, 2012

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

My company uses Salesforce

I'm so sorry for your loss.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

NapalmWeasel posted:

Literally worse than underscores.

At least a period is half the number of keystrokes vs an underscore!

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Inzombiac posted:

For the bulk of my job I have to use a system that was designed in 1992 and barely ever updated. Here are its crimes:

1) It can't be made full screen. If you know a work around to make it FS it just color-fills and still makes you work in a little bordered/framed window.

2) No multi-tabs so if you need info to complete a function, you have to kill your current function, find out that info somewhere else and restart the whole thing

3) There are rules for how each screen and field operate. In one screen F2 deletes a query. In another screen F2 copies it. In order to work with any sense of speed, I had to memorize hundreds of rules.

4) The very few updates it has received only serve to make it more confusing. EX: I want to delete a request I made to our budget unit. I go to that screen, enter in the request no. and hit the "delete" button. Doing so gets you an error that says, "Failed to delete. Places 5 and 6 must be numerals." The request is 8 characters, all numerals. What?!
It's actually referencing a small, unlabeled box where, in order for the request to go through, you have to enter "000001".

5) Every department uses this system but it all looks different depending on your level of access. So if someone above me wants my help with something they'll say, "Where do we get the RZW500 number?" and I will have never heard of it at all.

6) In order to navigate it, you can't just click on the section you want, you have to enter an indicator that hopefully you memorized instantly. If I want payroll, I need to enter something like "FAHIJ", reimbursements is "10.18.7" and inventory is "AABERA 14". I swear to god I work for an old, mad god.

7) It is the central processing unit for nearly all of our information and it is down half of the time.

8) They rolled out a new web-based version of it that actually works really well but have yet to migrate it over completely. So now I have the old system and the new system, all with different rules and expectations and I'm losing my goddamn hair over it.

Also, I'm responsible for our IT inventory control and have no way to control who gets what. New equipment just gets dumped into my cubicle. I don't have a closet or any way to lock things up. Thank god I'm working from home, otherwise I'd have to sit on a pile of monitors and laptops. I have to do a yearly audit for all this stuff and since people can just cruise by and take whatever they want, I don't know where any of it is.

This sounds like every piece of German industrial software I've ever used. Every operation is to be done in a very prescribed way or else it will crash or throw an error. All those other options? Don't use them, they are arcane and only to be touched by a wizard. People who do know how to use them only touch them if they have to or else there is a high risk that the software will crash or the behavior will be unpredictable. Also, do not look at software the wrong way, crashes are imminent.

I will say this though, the early 90's were like the wild west when it came to software development. Everybody and their dog was getting into programming databases and random programs for various companies. It was completely normal for the owner or the son of whoever to write mid-size company databases on their own especially with visual basic and crystal reports. There were tons of books on how to program but none on proper structure, versioning, documenting or future-proofing your code. Nor was it considered cost-effective to do so.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Tarkus posted:

This sounds like every piece of German industrial software I've ever used. Every operation is to be done in a very prescribed way or else it will crash or throw an error. All those other options? Don't use them, they are arcane and only to be touched by a wizard. People who do know how to use them only touch them if they have to or else there is a high risk that the software will crash or the behavior will be unpredictable. Also, do not look at software the wrong way, crashes are imminent.

That's exactly it.
There are dozens of fields and buttons that do something but if I don't touch them exactly right, I have to restart the whole process.

Hell, the order of operations can change depending on who ends up with that data. There is no indication who that might be so you have to learn through trial and error.

I didn't get any training for this job, they just threw me at it and said "figure it out" so I had a lot of people yelling at me the first year.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Some Goon posted:

Having no experience with software dev:

How many jobs have you ever had where they just let people do their job?

IME it starts off okay then evolves into micromanagement hell and COYA galore whenever a management-type sets deadlines and deliverables they had no business doing and then blames the engineering team

So none, or all of them depending on how you're slicing

E: My most egregious one was delivering a product in 3 months that the previous team failed to do in 2 years and having that go unacknowledged and challenged. I just told myself that any and all deadlines set without my input are suggestions at best and moved out of that job. Unfortunately bad management causes an allergy and wears me down very fast

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 25, 2021

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Play posted:

I use periods between every word of the filename. I know, I'm a dirty pervert

I'm calling the police.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

For the bulk of my job I have to use a system that was designed in 1992 and barely ever updated. Here are its crimes:

1) It can't be made full screen. If you know a work around to make it FS it just color-fills and still makes you work in a little bordered/framed window.

2) No multi-tabs so if you need info to complete a function, you have to kill your current function, find out that info somewhere else and restart the whole thing

3) There are rules for how each screen and field operate. In one screen F2 deletes a query. In another screen F2 copies it. In order to work with any sense of speed, I had to memorize hundreds of rules.

4) The very few updates it has received only serve to make it more confusing. EX: I want to delete a request I made to our budget unit. I go to that screen, enter in the request no. and hit the "delete" button. Doing so gets you an error that says, "Failed to delete. Places 5 and 6 must be numerals." The request is 8 characters, all numerals. What?!
It's actually referencing a small, unlabeled box where, in order for the request to go through, you have to enter "000001".

5) Every department uses this system but it all looks different depending on your level of access. So if someone above me wants my help with something they'll say, "Where do we get the RZW500 number?" and I will have never heard of it at all.

6) In order to navigate it, you can't just click on the section you want, you have to enter an indicator that hopefully you memorized instantly. If I want payroll, I need to enter something like "FAHIJ", reimbursements is "10.18.7" and inventory is "AABERA 14". I swear to god I work for an old, mad god.

7) It is the central processing unit for nearly all of our information and it is down half of the time.

8) They rolled out a new web-based version of it that actually works really well but have yet to migrate it over completely. So now I have the old system and the new system, all with different rules and expectations and I'm losing my goddamn hair over it.

Also, I'm responsible for our IT inventory control and have no way to control who gets what. New equipment just gets dumped into my cubicle. I don't have a closet or any way to lock things up. Thank god I'm working from home, otherwise I'd have to sit on a pile of monitors and laptops. I have to do a yearly audit for all this stuff and since people can just cruise by and take whatever they want, I don't know where any of it is.

Reminds me of something from my old job at a huge company. For some weird bureaucratic reason the manager had to personally go change some tiny thing on an obscure computer system they never otherwise touched. Payroll related I think.

He went to the terminal to enter the data. By terminal I mean a flesh-and-blood green CRT terminal. It had its own little room. He followed the detailed instructions, hit return, nothing. Tried again, nothing. eventually he called the support guy. The support guy walked him through, nothing. Eventually the support guy went to the terminal room to see what was going on.

"Oh, you're pressing return. You have to press enter"

Apparently the one on the main keyboard is the Return key the one on the number pad is the Enter key. The system only responded to the enter key.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
So basically all the logic and intuition of a computer themed early 90s adventure puzzle game but poo poo?

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Zarin posted:

I just like my dashes for my own personal garbage :(

Dashes are correct, pure, and good. Also unambiguous and makes some errors more obvious. Dash with pride.

That said I always go with FINAL v2 if I have the chance :evilbuddy:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

A VP over our dept of over a thousand people likes to send out a “shout out” video each Friday to note employees who received positive feedback. Not accompanied by any reward but ok.

The email with the link to the video does not bother to list the employees, so it’s a mystery who got a shout out. And the employee or their manager likely never watch the video so don’t know they’ve been honored.

I tried suggesting to the team sending the email to include names but that is somehow impossible? Minor quibble but c’mon.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

A VP over our dept of over a thousand people likes to send out a “shout out” video each Friday to note employees who received positive feedback. Not accompanied by any reward but ok.

The email with the link to the video does not bother to list the employees, so it’s a mystery who got a shout out. And the employee or their manager likely never watch the video so don’t know they’ve been honored.

I tried suggesting to the team sending the email to include names but that is somehow impossible? Minor quibble but c’mon.

Shout out becomes shout at if you're not as enthralled by the concept of secret surprises as they are.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Not wanting to name recipients in the email itself gives you a pretty clear indicator of how many people they think would watch the video otherwise

Barudak
May 7, 2007

webmeister posted:

Not wanting to name recipients in the email itself gives you a pretty clear indicator of how many people they think would watch the video otherwise

But number of people with names in email > 0

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

AHH F/UGH posted:

Here's the best email I ever got from one of our field techs. No information, no context, no nothing - just three words, his typical Windows 3.1 background, and his name.

Well, I mean he did answer his own question.

Also, keep Gary away from 333G in the future please.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I worked briefly in sales for a company where I was in a remote office, but I was expected to join the daily "wellness and health" Zoom call held in the HQ in Eastern Europe to do Yoga and so on at like 1am my time.

The first time I went to show team solidarity, the second time I skipped it, as did like 1/3rd of the company including all of the Asia and US team, and then we got an all@companydomain.com email with a list of people who skipped it and a message saying "oh but how will you be happy and healthy without attending?"

After 3 weeks someone started a high scoreboard to see who could skip the most and get named in that email the most times, I was joint 1st with about 80 other people

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
There’s a possibility I can be working from home from now on but I need to get the approval of the regional manager, who is not my actual manager. I have to write and pros and cons list.

My actual managers just want the work done, whether it’s at home or on the surface of the sun.

Micromanagement is the best and not at all the death of me

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime

Tarkus posted:

I will say this though, the early 90's were like the wild west when it came to software development. Everybody and their dog was getting into programming databases and random programs for various companies. It was completely normal for the owner or the son of whoever to write mid-size company databases on their own especially with visual basic and crystal reports. There were tons of books on how to program but none on proper structure, versioning, documenting or future-proofing your code. Nor was it considered cost-effective to do so.

Ugghh you just gave me flashbacks to my first IT job in '06.
Working for a small MSP on a team of 3 support staff. The boss/owner was really passionate about IT. Problem was he was passionate about ALL things IT related.
He would hear about something that sounded cool and find a way to shoehorn it into a production network for a client somewhere, and then expect us to support it.

Opensource PBX software (Asterisk Trixbox I think)? Neat! Lets install it at the head office of our biggest client! It doesn't matter that you guys have no Linux experience and I have no telephony experience!

CCTV and Access Control systems? Sure thing, we can do that. I mean we have never set anything up like that before and we have no equipment or training to run coax along the roof of your warehouse but it will be fine!

The worst one that still makes me angry to this day is when he decided to learn how to write software.
He picked up a book on Visual Foxpro, and within a few weekends was convinced he could write and market a stock control system to another of our clients.
Within a few more weekends, he had somehow convinced this client to buy his unwritten software, wrote the actual software and migrated their old stock system (Access database probably).

He then went on holiday for a week. I don't think he had even gotten to the airport before the whole thing fell over and the client was angrily calling us on the support desk.
We had no idea how to troubleshoot this thing - it was throwing out errors that would only make sense if you understood Visual Foxpro, which none of us did.

By the time he got back, the client had fired us as their MSP and software provider, and went back to using their old system while invoicing us for the time it took to redo all their work.

Somehow that was our fault, not his.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Inzombiac posted:

I know other people are quoting this it makes me wonder if this was just a design thing for awhile. My first 'real' job was a front desk clerk at a hotel and the software was some old DOS based garbage that did crap like this.

'What unexpected thing will F2 do in this screen? Check the guest in? Delete a line off their bill? Drop me to the menu screen? Let's find out' also 'Error: You can't do this until you put information in unrelated box off to the side to confirm'.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Darkhold posted:

I know other people are quoting this it makes me wonder if this was just a design thing for awhile. My first 'real' job was a front desk clerk at a hotel and the software was some old DOS based garbage that did crap like this.

'What unexpected thing will F2 do in this screen? Check the guest in? Delete a line off their bill? Drop me to the menu screen? Let's find out' also 'Error: You can't do this until you put information in unrelated box off to the side to confirm'.

My previous job used a mainframe system introduced back in the 70's as the system of record and every function had completely different rules. The part number call up screen would switch fields if you hit tab. Hit tab on the Engineering Change screen, which looks identical, calls up the last approved change. Hit tab on the inventory screen and you bring up the print menu. I had never seen anything like it.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Everyone needs to post a win in the #2021_Wins channel in Slack by the next quarterly meeting in March. Work related please

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Boss? How’s you track me down here? Okay, okay, I’ll post in the slack channel. I already got the email, IM, voicemail and cc’d email from marketing about it.

Yes, I’m sorry I didn’t send a video of myself doing something silly to marketing for the annual company video. I was busy working.

Okay I’ll do it this year I promise.

(If I’m still here by then)

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Lol so for part of my job we run a report and there's a 3 day turn around on the stuff on it. I run it today and there's like 15 items all 2 weeks out of standard. These are all billing statement that are mailed to clients. I ask my coworker about it and it seems the company that prints the statements ran out of paper. How does a printing company run out of paper?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Chiming in on the Agile talk, I took over as Test Manager two projects that work side by side and used to have a separate Test Manager but ho hum I guess we made the other guy redundant so I can do both right? Anyway they're both supposed to be Agile, one I've been working on since I started at the company (~2 years) and the team is well-versed in the procedures, everything runs smoothly, we hit our release dates consistently and everyone is busy but not overworked. The other, new, one, is a loving shitshow. It's a new platform that was released without really working well, they spent 6 months trying to fix it in live, and at the point I took over they had just about got it working (even though 75% of the tickets in each sprint are fixes for it, what they actually did was close the "Warranty Defect" board and move them all into the normal sprint scope).

The team itself is hilariously dysfunctional. The project manager is a joke and has done nothing really since I've been involved, the product owner apparently hates her job, the scrum master is very good at booking meetings and not a lot else (lol that's every scrum master). The point of this isn't to toot my own horn, but I ended up doing a hell of a lot to drag them along into the real world and even then I was spending like 90% of my time trying to sort them out. I'm currently sat in a sprint planning meeting right now that we are taking in probably 50% too much work, the last sprint we delivered about 6 out of 20 tickets because a P1 was raised and all the devs apparently had to sort it (without telling anyone else, and was only picked up when they kept missing their delivery dates). Nobody talks to each other despite us spending all of my time in meetings with them.

It's a shame because the workers on the ground, i.e. my test team and the dev team are actually all good, but the leaders are just incapable of changing their ways. We're replacing the project manager this week which might improve things a bit and the scrum master is leaving soon as well so I'm going to look forward to having about 100 meetings cancelled and rebooked by the new one.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
My workplace did something dumb today and decided to hire me after 3 months tryout. Suckers! Time to start slacking off and leaving crumbs in the break room.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Used to have job where manager refused to let us move a decade of large files from a shared Outlook folder so it took up to five awkward minutes to wait for files to open when someone asked for them on the phone. Would play exact same playlist at her desk as she did nothing each day, as faxes arrived from contractors putting liens on her house. Eventually she was promoted out.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Xaintrailles posted:

We have a paid social media person...

We're getting rid of the social media person!
...and replacing them with a marketing person despite having tried this 4 times before and none of the marketing people ever even coming close to bringing in enough money to cover their own salary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Xaintrailles posted:

We have a paid social media person. They post twice a day or so. The posts average below 1 like each, meaning they don't even like their own posts, let alone have anyone else like them.

...much like me on SA.

We have a podcast team. For internal consumption. For only our dept. Listenership per ep in the low teens, so sometimes they’ll play episodes during meetings to “boost numbers.” This is produced by eight salaried employees.