Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Getting back into Guilty Gear after not playing since X. Playing around with Xrd since I picked it up on Steam during the sale, and I boy every story section is bonkers.

I have decided Leo Whitefang is my guy now, hopefully this will be fine.

Your opponent will usually have just as little clue about what side your character will be on at any given moment as you will. Leo makes anyone look godlike at mixups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Unga. My opponent can't possibly predict my mixups if I don't even know what I'm going to do myself. Unga.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I haven't played fighting games since I used to go to an arcade to play KOF98 and MvC so I bounced up and down rank 4-6 trying different characters and stuff. I loved it and I'm very excited since I think I've settled on Potemkin main for launch.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Pat Miller posted his thoughts on the game that I thought was a pretty well-constructed discussion on what Strive is, how it became what it is, and why it's not his thing that resonated with me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2wQGR-p4bg

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
How does guilty gear typically do its season pass? Like is it going to be a new character every few months?

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese
is this game super complicated to learn? the art direction is really drawing me in and looks really fun. I missed the beta though so I didn't get a chance to try it out

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Gear has never had a season pass before. Assume it'll work like GBFVS and DBFZ.

g-c posted:

is this game super complicated to learn? the art direction is really drawing me in and looks really fun. I missed the beta though so I didn't get a chance to try it out

I find it way easier than rev2 to get used to pressing big buttons and having fun in. During beta, being bale to do rudimentary combos and knowing all of my character's buttons would get me to floor 5 or so. If you wanna get to upper tiers you need the advanced poo poo like canceling, instant block, etc.

Everyone has huge fun buttons though so its fairly easy to pick up and matchmaking will be populated so even low tiers will have folks to mash with.

I picked up May in the beta, but never played her in rev2. Went back to play her since beta is over and its so much more complicated with the expanded move list and lower damage.

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 24, 2021

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Strive has a pretty small move list for each character, all of the moves are really easy to remember and pull off.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

g-c posted:

This game was made with you in mind so trust the program to guide you onboard

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I'm in the same boat. I've never been much of a fighting game fan because I'm old and have no one to play with. Good netcode combined with the beautiful art has got me excited.

What should I play in the meantime? I bought the GG bundle on steam but there are very few players online and I want to play some mp.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The latest released Guilty Gear is Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2, and its completely worth playing between now and when Strive comes out, and its only $12 right now on PlayStation.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

g-c posted:

Strive is re-designs the series from ground up specifically to be more accessible to new players.
There's probably no better entry-point right now than this game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3772278 the fighting game discord is mostly goons playing fighting games on PC

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I said come in! posted:

The latest released Guilty Gear is Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2, and its completely worth playing between now and when Strive comes out, and its only $12 right now on PlayStation.

Right on, I've been playing Xrd Rev 2 and AC +R, but the latter is confusing. I like them both a lot, I've been having fun.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Every fighting game is equally difficult to learn since you will lose probably the same amount of hundreds of games before you win in all of them

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
If you want to play against other people, AC+R has way better netcode than rev 2

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

AC +R is so much fun and after playing it for a bit and it’s also freaking beautiful. Weird getting hooked on a fighting game after so many years. The last one I played regularly was VF5.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

g-c posted:

I played fighting games as a kid quite a bit but the last time I really played a fighting game seriously was MVC2, so you know a long time ago. I feel like I'm basically a newbie but I can reliably perform moves and basic combos made some sense to me going in.

I think this game is extremely fun and it's easy to learn. I went into ranked with a loose gameplan and probably an over reliance on certain moves that meant I couldn't mix it with good players but I settled in at rank 5 and had a blast. The art direction is sweet and makes a lot of the game for me and the fighters are all really unique and cool, plus it feels great to play.

I'd forgotten how much of a thrill 1v1 fighting games are win or lose so I'd say if you like the way it looks and you want to get into a fighting game that this is a great choice.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

What's up with that menu music, it stinks compared to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5p3V90owSQ

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I feel like they ranked you up really fast in the tower, maybe because it was the beta, but since you can't go to lower floors I really have to wonder what the hell the game considers floor 1 skill level. I would win like 4 or 5 matches and it would send me up a floor, but I could lose 5 or more matches in a row and not get sent down.

Happy Hedonist posted:

Most of the music is bad. I don't know why they want every track to have vocals now, they were easily the worst tracks in Xrd and Xrd music was already worse than X and XX.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if AI sol double perfected you it might rank you for floor 1

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I smashed the CPU fight and it started me on floor 8 and I fell to floor 4 in like fifteen minutes lol.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Around floor 5 is where people seemed to know how to super or use RC, but not both. This is where I lived all weekend. If I went up to 6 I'd get slaughtered. The matchmaking and ranking system seems pretty smart.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Boogalo posted:

Around floor 5 is where people seemed to know how to super or use RC, but not both. This is where I lived all weekend. If I went up to 6 I'd get slaughtered. The matchmaking and ranking system seems pretty smart.

I enjoyed my time in five when I figured the game out smashing people non stop in four. Every fight felt spot on and finding people who were about to go up a floor and saying no is very fun.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Kongming posted:

Most of the music is bad. I don't know why they want every track to have vocals now, they were easily the worst tracks in Xrd and Xrd music was already worse than X and XX.

:wtc:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

the XX soundtrack is basically perfect, every song using the same vocalist in this is ultra mega rear end

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Kongming posted:

I feel like they ranked you up really fast in the tower, maybe because it was the beta, but since you can't go to lower floors I really have to wonder what the hell the game considers floor 1 skill level. I would win like 4 or 5 matches and it would send me up a floor, but I could lose 5 or more matches in a row and not get sent down.

Look at this dork who didnt like Birthday Train

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Happy Hedonist posted:

And Django Django sucks compared to Beatin' My Soul so the trend was already there :colbert:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Evil Eagle posted:

the XX soundtrack is basically perfect, every song using the same vocalist in this is ultra mega rear end
nah, it rules

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fight like a tiger is badass and after 30 years of guilty gear basically every generic guitar noodling track blends together into a slurry minus a few standouts like slayer's theme, so the vocals are a good way to distinguish them

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I didn't get to play the beta but after watching footage and paying attention to the backgrounds (I was already sold on the game) I noticed just how stunning some of them are and I wonder if ArcSys has any plans to make some PS4/PS5 themes out of them? I really like the one in the Ghibli-esque town with the parade coming through and the other one with all the ships launching through the clouds and I know ArcSys is good at putting out avatars to buy of all the characters but there's so many stages in these games that would make great background themes for console. I hope they consider it, at least.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

society is my fav new track. i like how every game has its own style of music and am hoping they have unlockable old songs like xrd did

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

+R will always be my favorite GG, but after seeing how many of my non-FG playing friends got hyped by the beta--and even started learning the intricacies of the characters and mechanics and enjoying it--I'm incredibly pumped for Strive.

Plus I think the floor system instead of ranked is genius. I got to talk to my non FGC friends about how I "needed to ascend to Heaven" after being failing my 5/6 streak and being kicked out, and not only did they catch the hype, but they were happily supportive of me doing so with the bare minimum of context, and I think that's indicative of Team Red successfully fulfilling their mission statement of creating a cool fighting game that attracts a wide range of new blood.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Every time I think 'man the characters are so cool in strive' I go back and watch Slayer footage and I'm like drat imagine how much *cooler* it would be if he was here.

He's still one of my absolute favorite designs and everything about him is just so goddamn cool even his weird ninny slap thing.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I'm a Slayer dick sucker because he's my favorite character in all of fighting games, and that's exactly why I'm glad they're probably saving him for DLC. Not only would he be really hard to balance for a base fighting game w/o making him hella top or bottom tier (see base Accent Core or SIGN), but BDC is an integral part of his mechanical identity, and I think that can only be added to Strive without completely obliterating balance once the character gimmicks and the general defensive systems of the game are fully figured out by the general player base.

I was upset about him not being in the game at first, but there's like a 90% chance he'll be in Nago's story mode at least, and seeing him with an HD model will go a long way towards appeasing me tbh.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im worried about slayer cause they gave blood sucking universe to the new guy. I hope he comes as dlc soon.
Tho dandy step might need some improvement in a game with huge fullscreen normals like rams lol. No dodging that poo poo. Maybe they could simplify him down so you dont need to do high execution stuff like bdc to make his shenanigans safe?

Dream scenario tho is they make his wife a cool new character and he just shows up to support her.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Vocal tracks in fighting games are great and I applaud the decision to make most of the music have vocals.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
You're getting Dizzy, Elphelt, Baiken, and Jam as the DLC and you're going to like it

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
I want Raven. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oberst posted:

You're getting Dizzy, Elphelt, Baiken, and Jam as the DLC and you're going to like it

I don't see any issues here