Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CoolCab posted:

i don't get in a lot of fights before i've left the jumpship.

Well not with that attitude you don’t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Shipon posted:

Just in time manufacturing will never fail us! Lets just pocket the savings and give our wonderful intelligent CEOs massive bonuses because nothing will ever cause a disruption in supply chains

Not really sure JIT manufacturing ever properly applied to an industry where setting up new manufacturing is done on the time scale of 5-10 years, if not more.

A big reason we're in this mess is because other fabs looked at the cost of shooting for sub-10nm and went "lol, $10B+, nah, we good." The risk of investing that much in a fab an then potentially not having demand enough to recoup costs means that no one really wanted to accidentally over-build. Also Intel hosed the pooch bad. Repeatedly.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Shipon posted:

Just in time manufacturing will never fail us! Lets just pocket the savings and give our wonderful intelligent CEOs massive bonuses because nothing will ever cause a disruption in supply chains

Funnily enough Toyota, which invented JIT manufacturing, chose to not cancel their orders and said a couple weeks ago that unlike every other car company they expect to not have any production problems because they've been stockpiling the chips they need.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Car companies have had to idle production because they couldn't get chips in time. Thats a much larger impact than anything from the cloud providers so far.

Ah I see. I'd be pleasantly surprised if they actually start an initiative to build semiconductor foundries. This could have the side effect of helping prevent future gpu shortages worldwide. But I don't think it'll happen. There's no short term benefit, and it's too costly in the middle of a pandemic-stunted economy.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
I watched the German MEDION Erazor - Aldi Pc launch, it sold out within minutes. Site was unavailable, Scalpers won again.

https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Notebook_Laptop-Hardware-201330/News/Medion-Erazer-Engineer-X10-1367502/

Surprise, 1499 Euro for a 10700K, 32 GB, 1 TB SSD, 3070 and Win10 Home including 3 year warranty pickup&return.

Similar systems start about 2000 Euro over here.
That’s the starting bid on eBay tomorrow where the scalpers will unload their prey.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
https://www.newsweek.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3060-release-time-date-best-tips-order-1571293
Is there better info than this for trying to get a 3060 at MSRP tonight?

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
Aaaaaand 1 hour later the first is listed on eBay lol. Obviously with 33% “margin”.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
If you manage to cart one at BestBuy, don't bother with instore and go straight to delivery?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

FilthyImp posted:

If you manage to cart one at BestBuy, don't bother with instore and go straight to delivery?
It may not let you do that.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 7 minutes!
just saw the benches for the 3060 and the card looks pretty bad?
the performance tiering for Ampere has been uneven - i always lol at the notion Nvidia is this hyper-rational operator that extracts the right amount of rent for every product they sell

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Surprising no one:

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1364725212114268170

You could also read this as scalpers made almost twice that reselling cards :shepface:

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

shrike82 posted:

I guess that’s intentional, hence leaving a spot for a 3060 Super

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
not like it matters to human buyers but here are the newegg 3060 listings
https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007709%20601361654

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
Ah, the infamous out of stock Ampere edition.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mr.PayDay posted:

I guess that’s intentional, hence leaving a spot for a 3060 Super
Is it like "get a 1070" bad?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

shrike82 posted:

the performance tiering for Ampere has been uneven - i always lol at the notion Nvidia is this hyper-rational operator that extracts the right amount of rent for every product they sell

The card lands kinda lower on the stack than I expected - I suppose they can slot a 3060 Super between it and the Ti that'll be closer to the 5700XT or 1080Ti

At this rate, the 3050 is going to be a 1660/1650-grade card, which is still a nice upgrade, but the pricing being as whack as it is is going to make value judgements difficult

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
a poo poo ton of people in the the snailbot discord just manually checked out the 3080 tuf at B&H. It must have been a sizeable drop considering how few orders go through usually.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

FilthyImp posted:

Is it like "get a 1070" bad?

i would eyeball it as around a 1080? but then you're not getting any of the RTX features and 300-330 bucks for a 1080 is actually incredible right now, lol.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Surprising no one:

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1364725212114268170

You could also read this as scalpers made almost twice that reselling cards :shepface:

no one except The Verge seemingly.

like, NVIDIA's pumpin 'em out (up until the last 2 weeks when Lunar New Year screwed everything up), and Steam numbers were ticking upwards, of course they're making money. But people can't accept that demand is just insane even apart from mining flaring up again

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i have always been somewhat sceptical of pointing to mining as a major part of why the entire GPU stack was struggling- like, cpu mining is not really a thing (since i last paid any attention to crypto) but the new ryzen chips are also loving impossible to find. you can't mine on ps5s nor the new xboxes afaik but they're also impossible to find.

i think mining is making a non-trivial chunk of demand don't get me wrong and particular cards were hit super hard (i want to say the 3060ti was a sweet spot for mining but i don't know enough to understand why) but i suspect the 30 launch would have been a total clusterfuck even had bitcoin remained a sparkle in satoshi nakamoto's eye. pandemic means demand for pc equipment has never been higher and has disrupted supply in various direct and indirect ways. honestly i suspect automated purchasing towards speculation is the particular new technological hotness that is driving this social ill.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
It's definitely gotten worse in the past 2-3 months but even when ETH mining wasn't very worth it back in October/November, it was still quite difficult to find a card. AMD still has to compete with Microsoft and Sony for wafer space and Ryzen is also affected greatly by that, even absent any ability to mine (correct, CPU mining is not a thing).

Besides the point but scalpers and miners are born out of the same parasitic rent-seeking behavior by people desperate to make a buck. As long as the economy is this precarious for so many you're gonna keep seeing this.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

CoolCab posted:

i have always been somewhat sceptical of pointing to mining as a major part of why the entire GPU stack was struggling- like, cpu mining is not really a thing (since i last paid any attention to crypto) but the new ryzen chips are also loving impossible to find.

The 5900x and 5950x are still hard to find, but the 5600/5800x are readily available.

You can't even buy a low end old turd video card right now.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I've been looking to get a new card for months and I have finally given up.

I'm just going to use my 6gb 1060 until the end of the year at this rate haha.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Shipon posted:

Besides the point but scalpers and miners are born out of the same parasitic rent-seeking behavior by people desperate to make a buck. As long as the economy is this precarious for so many you're gonna keep seeing this.

do you really think it's desperation motivating most of these people?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Inept posted:

The 5900x and 5950x are still hard to find, but the 5600/5800x are readily available.

You can't even buy a low end old turd video card right now.

AMD has definitely been spending more of its finite wafer allotment on CPU demand than GPUs, and that makes all the sense in the world. A $450 5800X uses ~81mm2 of wafer space. A $580 reference RX 6800 uses 520mm2 of wafer, and also requires a long bill of materials including memory, VRM, a beefy heatsink, and even a bigger box which, plus the weight, means way higher international shipping costs which are extremely inflated at the moment.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shipon posted:

It's definitely gotten worse in the past 2-3 months but even when ETH mining wasn't very worth it back in October/November, it was still quite difficult to find a card. AMD still has to compete with Microsoft and Sony for wafer space and Ryzen is also affected greatly by that, even absent any ability to mine (correct, CPU mining is not a thing).

nvidia estimates 2-6% of sales were to miners, not a lot
https://finance.yahoo.com/finance/news/nvidia-estimates-ethereum-miners-contributed-002107587.html
how they estimated that is unknown. Likely totaling hashing power added compared to cards sold over q4.

supply was bad, still is bad, will probably continue being bad

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

64bit_Dophins posted:

I've been looking to get a new card for months and I have finally given up.

I'm just going to use my 6gb 1060 until the end of the year at this rate haha.
I sold my EVGA one of those cards from my last PC and got $250. That was a month ago. They are now going for $300-350. Everything is completely insane.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

nvidia estimates 2-6% of sales were to miners, not a lot

I want to see their estimate for scalpers

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Gadfly posted:

I want to see their estimate for scalpers

some quick napkin math and im looking at 94-98%

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
oh i wouldn't guess anywhere near that amount. no more than a third, i'd guess? tons of them went to preorders and other places - demand really has been bonkers. of course it becomes more obscured because it might be miners who are buying these scalped cards - they have the most financial incentive to overpay for a card now rather than wait. unless you mean the FE versions where, yes pretty much all of those went to scalpers i'd bet.

scalpers i don't know, now, retail partners - they've made a buck here good lord. i don't exactly understand how RRP is enforced but the first R there seems to have gone well out the window with most AIB cards.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005
Probation
that estimate is probably specific to "industrial" miners (lol) but there's probably a big squishy chunk of demand coming from retailer miners too

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think half or more for resellers is realistic right now but it wasnt that way earlier. Even if you bought the gpu for your own use the money is too easy and tempting. Not many people would turn down doubling 700-1000 dollars.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

FlamingLiberal posted:

I sold my EVGA one of those cards from my last PC and got $250. That was a month ago. They are now going for $300-350. Everything is completely insane.

That's completely insane. I have the ASUS one.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

FlamingLiberal posted:

My 1660 super is now going for over $500 on ebay, up from $400 a couple of weeks ago.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I paid $225 two years ago for my 1070 and looking at the completed/sold ebay listings, it's now worth twice that.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Shipon posted:

Isn't that more AMD competing with...AMD since they're doing the SOCs for both Sony and Microsoft?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

I paid $225 two years ago for my 1070 and looking at the completed/sold ebay listings, it's now worth twice that.

You know this makes you an expert investor right? Could you tell me how to invest my money? Thanks!

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 25, 2021

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
To throw another stick on the pile: Samsung, TSMC chip production at risk amid water shortages

Samsung's S2 Fab in Austin, Texas. Which already had to cease production due to the rolling power blackouts is now suffering from a water shortage due to the freezing of local rivers and water supply networks.

Taiwan meanwhile is in serve drought and the government has ordered rationing due to the water reservoir falling below 20%. TSMC is contracting water trucks to try to maintain production levels at it's factories.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

OhFunny posted:

To throw another stick on the pile: Samsung, TSMC chip production at risk amid water shortages

Samsung's S2 Fab in Austin, Texas. Which already had to cease production due to the rolling power blackouts is now suffering from a water shortage due to the freezing of local rivers and water supply networks.

Taiwan meanwhile is in serve drought and the government has ordered rationing due to the water reservoir falling below 20%. TSMC is contracting water trucks to try to maintain production levels at it's factories.

Apparently typhoons have their uses

"A website called Anue reports that due to an absence of typhoons across Taiwan in 2020 there is a lack of water in the Hsinchu region."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005
Probation

OhFunny posted:

:sickos: can't wait to see how much higher GPU prices can go up