Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It is an interesting question because there's really no perfect answer. How do you handle a race of genetically bred chattel slaves who take pleasure and pride in their bondage and would literally rise up in a slave revolt in order to keep being slaves if you tried to systematically free them?

Granted knowing JK and her morally-bankrupt neo-liberal rear end, her response is probably something like "Oh yeah once Hermione became Magic Police Chief she insisted on a bunch of laws for the humane treatment of house elves, so masters can no longer treat them like Lucius or Crouch did, everybody is happy!" while completely sidestepping the issue that slightly-less brutal slavery is still, you know, slavery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Or that people like Lucius and Crouch would just ignore the laws and the wizard cops would never enforce them

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
House Elves should have been Familiars that require expensive reagents to maintain so only rich families have them. And then JK shouldn’t make a slavery analog out of them since she can’t do it without making it a “they like to be slaves. Keep your nose out of it.” argument.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The critters they're based on were similar fey little elf sprite guys, but they helped out around the house if you followed their obscure code of respect and played tricks on you if you hosed it up.

Have the death eaters rules-lawyer some into serving them, have some hanging around Hogwarts because Dumbledore and Flitwick are their pals, maybe have some slytherin kids get peeves'd for being dicks.

Harry can help trick Dobby out of serving the Malfoys and that can be why he's loyal to Harry, instead if coming on sight-unseen. And he can get his vengeance loving up the Malfoys in their manor basically the same.

There didn't need to be chattel slavery any more than the evil liche guy needed to also be a nazi.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
House elves are the equivalent of animals that want to be eaten, only instead of satire they were played straight for some reason.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAF35dekiAY&t=73s

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

gently caress off, Jo.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The gently caress is wrong with you this chapter, Jo?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Zesty posted:

The gently caress is wrong with you this chapter, Jo?

I mean, the point is that Harry is a jealous poo poo in HBP after he sees Ginny making out with Dean.

i don't think this is supposed to be a good thing, it's just describing how Ron is an overprotective big brother and Harry is a paranoid wannabe boyfriend.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You know how some of these women are too popular for their own good. Don’t they know that I, the protagonist of reality, deserve them? Also trans people in bathrooms are icky.

- Another successful day of writing by JK Rowling.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Zesty posted:

gently caress off, Jo.

The weird oversight here is that she could have fulfilled her secret TERF fantasies and had the bathrooms in the literal magic world she herself invented magically count your chromosomes and refuse entry. But instead she accidentally tells on herself by making there be a bunch of incredibly easy ways an unguarded bathroom could be accessed and used to hurt someone, proving that her one specific hang up is a lot of bullshit nonsense.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

It feels like Rowling wants to have her cake and eat it too, because she has Ginny get mad at Ron for being overprotective and saying being too popular with boys would make her a slut, while Harry being a jealous rear end in a top hat gets a pass. Sure, Harry didn't say that to Ginny's face, but the fact he got rewarded for his behavior by getting the girl in the end (complete with Ron's blessing) is some terrible nonsense.

Also, yikes at that TERF bathroom nonsense.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
:justpost: fan fiction recommendations

https://archiveofourown.org/works/21500365

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://twitter.com/Doctor_Cupcakes/status/1362919930698596360

This franchise is cursed

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The lead of Fantastic Beasts is the brother of the Pottermore CEO.

It’s corruption and bigots all the way down.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

well there goes all my hopes for that

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
"It's ok to be a gamer" is the worst take of the lot imo.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Apparently said director's son is trans so its a very specific kind of broke brain

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
RIP Harry Potter Skyrim

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Imagine being so brokebrained that you consider writing, filming, editing, and uploading a 20 minute video to defend the honor of John Lasseter a worthwhile investment of your time.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

In Which the Harry Potter Fandom Supports Trans Rights!

quote:

"Trans Rights," Harry said.

"Trans Rights!" Hermione, Ron, and Ginny repeated in unison.

"I am trans," Ginny added.

"Yeah, me too!" Harry said.

"Me three!" Hermione added.

"I'm not trans," said Ron, "but I am genderqueer, and I support trans rights."

"Trans Rights!" They all said again.

Harry covered his face with a mask, "All right, now who's ready to go to a Black Lives Matter protest?"

The gang cheered, and they left the house they've been social distancing in to go tear down a racist statue and protest for social justice.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Somebody make a bot that randomly replaces 5% of Ron's dialogue in the novels with "I am genderqueer"

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1363041370068369409

For reference, because why would the Harry Potter thread be up to date on this, Navalny is prominent in Russian politics as a critic of Putin and was poisoned and is currently imprisoned for being an opponent of the regime.

The tweet is part of a long thread of things he's saying at an appeals court that is trying to send him away to a prison colony for a sentence of two years in prison for a crime that was exhaustively proven to be not a crime, although considering the whole poison thing odds are he wouldn't live out the sentence. The European Court of Human Rights ruled that he should be released, and Russia is supposedly constitutionally bound to follow the court's rulings, but they're trying to send him away anyways.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
he also thinks muslims are cockroaches – a very harry potter opinion!

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Navalny is not inherently good just because he is a rival to Putin.

Much like Cruz is not a good dude just because he kept Jeb! away from the nomination.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There’s a russian Harry Potter knockoff where the girl wizard flies on a double bass instead of a broom

E: also an Indian one where Harry goes to India and meets some child wizards from bengali mythology

Both of these were sued into the ground by Rowling, which makes sense cuz they sound way cooler than the poo poo she’s putting out

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 21, 2021

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Luckily Rowling doesn't give a poo poo about animation because Little Witch Academia is a much better Harry Potter.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Isn't there one that has Harry Potter get turned into a dwarf by a magical rain and then the rest is just Lord of the Rings with some words swapped out

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There’s a russian Harry Potter knockoff where the girl wizard flies on a double bass instead of a broom

That's loving awesome

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!
she's just funneling kids towards japan and tbf korea, in which there are entire industries that revolve around the high school + magic/superpowers/horrific warfare/sports/just about anything formula

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHTMidTLO60
Video is more on general transphobia in media but does have some focus on Rowling and her anti-trans book. Also Rowling adds in a bunch of unnecessary fat shaming as well.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
How is the audience supposed to know a character is bad unless I CONSTANTLY refer to them as fatty fat fats?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

She has a fat character in a scene where ever time it mentions the character it specifies that said character is grabbing another cookie from a tray.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
, she fatted fatly.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
fanfic idea: It's "dark Harry gets sorted into slytherin" but he's dark Harry bc he's a chubby lil Dudley clone the Dursleys raised as their own. He becomes one of Draco's goons.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
At some point Dudley gets switched with Dark Harry and it takes months for anyone to notice.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

Dark Harry uses a flying mobility scooter.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/1258330103001550848?s=20

Fellas, is it gay to eat food?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The TERF has stumbled into some fun comedy; I like the idea of Voldemort going around miserable and feeling like absolute poo poo all the time because he would only eat, like, a single piece of toast every morning. VERY reluctantly.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Voldemort running to Hogwarts with a piece of toast in his mouth because he's late to first period transfiguration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Voldemort flicking his wand and a stream of Huel writing from the end