Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

indigi posted:

this seems pretty meaningless given that virtually none of these countries on either side have stellar human rights records. there’s like a handful on China’s side I guess that are pretty good recently

it's more that one would think at the very minimum you'd see at least one major Muslim nation not actively supporting China's system if it was actually a Muslim ethnic cleansing.

Also obvious joke about how countries like, say, France treat their Muslim population making their condemning seem a bit hollow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The concept of genocide doesn't just cover mass murder.

It's detaining them en mass, forbidding them to practice their religion and culture. To ban them from speaking their own language, wearing their own clothes. From passing their traditions on to their children.

To forcibly sterilise them. To rape them. To force their women to marry men from the ethnic majority. To treat them like slaves. To "re-educate" them. To deny them any freedom in their lives.

Don’t forget organ harvesting and cannibalism :rolleyes:

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's detaining them en mass, forbidding them to practice their religion and culture. To ban them from speaking their own language, wearing their own clothes. From passing their traditions on to their children.

To forcibly sterilise them. To rape them. To force their women to marry men from the ethnic majority. To treat them like slaves. To "re-educate" them. To deny them any freedom in their lives.

Doens't genocide literally just mean "the attempt to eliminate the biological substance of a people", it's not a normative term at all, simply descriptive. So forced sterilization is genocide, as is rape and forced marriages, but everything else is just "language policy."

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Megillah Gorilla posted:

drat that's crazy

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

sexpig by night posted:

it's more that one would think at the very minimum you'd see at least one major Muslim nation not actively supporting China's system if it was actually a Muslim ethnic cleansing.

Also obvious joke about how countries like, say, France treat their Muslim population making their condemning seem a bit hollow.

a comparison to France should probably be seen as, itself, insulting

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Vasukhani posted:

Doens't genocide literally just mean "the attempt to eliminate the biological substance of a people", it's not a normative term at all, simply descriptive. So forced sterilization is genocide, as is rape and forced marriages, but everything else is just "language policy."
If you're going by etymology, the destruction of the whole is all that's required, as the thing being killed is the group. A "language/cultural policy" that destroys the notion of the nation among the group will have successfully destroyed the "tribe/clan", even if no member has been killed, raped, or subjected to forced marriage.

Obviously the "destruction of the whole" definition puts far more cases under the genocide category, but it is not like a fringe definition. Hell, the fact that a wider definition starts throwing countries like France into the genocidal pile might be part of the resistance to the wider definition.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The UN definition of genocide is very explicit about things like stealing children to be raised in another culture and forbidding the teaching of ritual or languages associated with a people counting as genocide.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

A Buttery Pastry posted:

If you're going by etymology, the destruction of the whole is all that's required, as the thing being killed is the group. A "language/cultural policy" that destroys the notion of the nation among the group will have successfully destroyed the "tribe/clan", even if no member has been killed, raped, or subjected to forced marriage.

Obviously the "destruction of the whole" definition puts far more cases under the genocide category, but it is not like a fringe definition. Hell, the fact that a wider definition starts throwing countries like France into the genocidal pile might be part of the resistance to the wider definition.

I mean, with that wider definition every nation-state, except maybe small islands, is fundamentally genocidal, not just france, but any country that claims to have national, rather than just political borders.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Vasukhani posted:

I mean, with that wider definition every nation-state, except maybe small islands, is fundamentally genocidal, not just france, but any country that claims to have national, rather than just political borders.
Not sure that's really true. For sure a lot of them, but nation states can and have accepted national minorities within their political borders.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
admittedly that statement had a western Eurasian focus, but national sovereignty means you remove nonmembers kinda by definition

Keep in mind this is just the map of the majority language in each area

wisconsingreg has issued a correction as of 07:29 on Feb 25, 2021

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Internet Wizard posted:

I’m gonna need a list of genocides in order of how spicy denial of that genocide is

"It's not a genocide if you can use it to own the libs " - CSPAM rulebook, §1

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

steinrokkan posted:

It's not a genocide if you like it.

If you like your genocide, you can keep it

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Vasukhani posted:

admittedly that statement had a western Eurasian focus, but national sovereignty means you remove nonmembers kinda by definition

Keep in mind this is just the map of the majority language in each area
It doesn’t. It just means you design the state around the nation, but you can totally leave small communities alone to do their thing. Obviously these communities have to be small enough that they’re beneath notice/not perceived as a threat to the integrity of the state, which depends on some level on the goodwill of the majority. Hence Germany still having a small community of native Slavs right near its capital, despite having been through two different periods of genocidal policies.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It doesn’t. It just means you design the state around the nation, but you can totally leave small communities alone to do their thing. Obviously these communities have to be small enough that they’re beneath notice/not perceived as a threat to the integrity of the state, which depends on some level on the goodwill of the majority. Hence Germany still having a small community of native Slavs right near its capital, despite having been through two different periods of genocidal policies.

I will give you that that applies to tiny minorities, but any area that is majority minority will always be seen as a threat to national integrety. Hell, in 1945 the western allies endorsed ethnic cleansing as a solution to national disputes.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
https://twitter.com/akoz33/status/1232052037652754432

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Would love to see proof of any of this happening in China while simultaenously seeing proof that it isn't happening in basically every single country of the Western world but especially Australia and the United States and Canada and the UK and

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I've seen that word-for-word before

oh lol it's from a year ago

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
goddamnit. Well, it's a lightly smoldering take then.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Apoplexy posted:

https://twitter.com/akoz33/status/1232052037652754432

Would love to see proof of any of this happening in China while simultaenously seeing proof that it isn't happening in basically every single country of the Western world but especially Australia and the United States and Canada and the UK and

cspam brain

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

i love this take so loving much

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Here I was thinking that saying the dreaded ableist R-Slur was against the rules now

Or did you mean the Polish guy saying literacy is haram. Because that's definitely just online leftism in a nutshell. Reading theory? HEH. Sir, I have a podcast...

Apoplexy has issued a correction as of 11:37 on Feb 25, 2021

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
making sure my kids never learn to read to own the tankies

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Vasukhani posted:

The concept of cultural genocide was first coined in 1944.

For some reason.

It's a lot more popular than the other kind of genocide because it's so much easier to get away with.

Apoplexy posted:

Of course it's happening in Australia and the United States and Canada and the UK and

Here in Australia we had the Stolen Generation where Aboriginal children were taken from their families under the flimsiest of pretexts to live with white families, given European names and forbidden from speaking their own languages and practising their own culture. This on top of the violent genocides where they were just shot or poisoned with cyanide.

The examples of genocide go on and on across all of the world, across all of history. And today, as well.

Yet, somehow Pooh Bear's brutally authoritarian police state which is happy to lock you up forever at the drop of a jar of honey is somehow immune?

Megillah Gorilla has issued a correction as of 13:02 on Feb 25, 2021

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol at this Atlantic council coward locking the replies

https://twitter.com/b_judah/status/1364358769732370433?s=19

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Chamale posted:

Muslim countries support or are neutral on China's treatment of Uyghurs. The countries criticizing them for it are all US allies.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lmao

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Chamale posted:

Muslim countries support or are neutral on China's treatment of Uyghurs. The countries criticizing them for it are all US allies.

lol

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yet, somehow Pooh Bear's brutally authoritarian police state which is happy to lock you up forever at the drop of a jar of honey is somehow immune?

Sauce pls

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

"How can you criticize Biden when Trump was also bad" - moron poo poo
"How can you criticize Chinese genocide when the US is also bad" - hell yeah. HELL YEAH

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
love to see western leftists repeatedly run towards the football of us regime change propaganda because they maintain an implicit bias against the global west, find out is was the most shoddily scraped together fabrication, shake their fist at wapo/nyt/voa, then suspiciously eye a perfectly fair election in Latin America.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/Tullibardine/status/1364912141380308995?s=20

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Vasukhani posted:

Go on.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

"How can you criticize Biden when Trump was also bad" - moron poo poo
"How can you criticize Chinese genocide when the US is also bad" - hell yeah. HELL YEAH

hope you used reusable straws for this man

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
China is the Joe Biden of communism

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Chamale posted:

lmao

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
flavius gently caress off you are a dog poo poo mod go gently caress off to DnD

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

paul_soccer12 posted:

flavius gently caress off you are a dog poo poo mod go gently caress off to DnD

Yeah, we just want to appreciate concentration camps in peace, without loving libs telling us that we should feel bad about rape and genocide of indigenous people.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
steinrokkan you are also a bad poster

sincerely,
a bad poster

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

christmas boots posted:

China is the Joe Biden of communism

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Anyone who denies that Joe Biden is currently committing genocide in America should get a sixer, too.

Prisons that disproportionately jail minorities are bad, but acting as if China is uniquely guilty is laughable. Don't fall for Cold War II propaganda. Meanwhile, America's disastrous covid policy has killed 1 in 30 Hispanic seniors, 1 in 50 Black seniors, and only 1 in 250 White seniors.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i think islamophobia is bad regardless of who's doing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, we just want to appreciate concentration camps in peace, without loving libs telling us that we should feel bad about rape and genocide of indigenous people.

tell us more about how saddam had nukes and morales didn’t win his election