Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I don't see why you couldn't airbrush that stuff. Make sure the glue is good and set before you go blowing it away, but I'd think that most of that landscape material would take paint well. Mix up some wacky purples and blues and go nuts.

I'm not familiar with airbrushing but the concern I have with this is layering colors of grass, if I'm painting the ground cover after applying it, the paint's going to get on all of the blades instead of letting me layer one shade of grass on top of another. But I hadn't considered doing it this way and I've been wanting to get myself an airbrush anyway so I'll pick one up sometime soon and experiment, thanks for the suggestion!

BOGO LOAD posted:

I recall seeing these grass tufts used in a tutorial video on basing miniatures with alien environments https://www.gamersgrass.com/52-alien-tufts

Video in question
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaiekmch_pY

Wow, this is great! The shipping time is pretty long and I'm about to move so I'll hold off for now but will be ordering some as soon as I'm in my new place, thank you! I love the idea in that video of using skaven tails to create little tentacle plants, and also the vaporwave colors on one of those grasses are giving me some ideas for little like, Outrun style dioramas with toy cars and everything :thunk:

And thanks for this! I didn't think to look in Trad Games :blush:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Did I miss something about model master acrylics being discontinued? I haven't been able to source them from my regular suppliers for many months now. I'm wondering if it's just a covid destock thing or if they're actually done for.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Did I miss something about model master acrylics being discontinued? I haven't been able to source them from my regular suppliers for many months now. I'm wondering if it's just a covid destock thing or if they're actually done for.

Rust-oleum killed the model master line. They're only producing the little square testors bottles now.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
If it’s anything like the tamiya paint situation at the moment it’s most likely a Covid thing but I’m not entirely sure as I try to keep my paints from a limited number of companies namely tamiya, mr color and zero paints.

edit: fb but I'm gonna leave my comment about tamiya paints up cause they're getting super hard to find a lot of the colours.

Dr. Garbanzo fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 22, 2021

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Symetrique posted:

Rust-oleum killed the model master line. They're only producing the little square testors bottles now.

Ah, booo.

Truth be told, I had already mostly switched over to Vallejo because i prefer the thinning behavior of more modern acrylics, but model master still had a bunch of colors like the Naval series and a couple of odd ones that didn't have a direct equivalent.

On the other hand this might convince local hobby shops around here to modernize their paint inventory a bit.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Got the airbrush out tonight and started to lay down and build up various layers of base coat on the super structures, turrets and the Pom Pom cannons.

Dry fitted it to the hull to see how it may look.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

That colour is very Duke of York at the Battle of the North Cape, I like it

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

SkunkDuster posted:

Looking forward to seeing the Super Bee build. Not many people doing muscle car builds in this thread.

Not too many cars at all outside of the occasional race car. All good, though. I'll be sure to take pictures of all of them as I work through the builds but I don't know which I'll do first. Maybe I'll start with the Bee since you mentioned it. :)

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I think most of the race cars are mine but I tend to work fairly slowly most of the time. Getting 4 done over xmas break is a record for me.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Yeah, you've produced some really nice stuff lately. I love building the Tamiya race cars too but I don't love paying for them. I tend to haul rear end through the builds right up until it's time for bodywork then slow down considerably. Probably because I hate painting bodies. I should probably try to get in the habit of at least getting the body in primer early so it's not such a long pause in the middle of a build.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I tend to end up the other way around where I get the body to the point of the decals being sealed under clear then I slow down massively.
I’m gonna have to work on building up a stash later in the year cause the model shop I’ve been getting stuff cheap from is closing down at the end of the year when the owners retire. Never again will I be able to get an 80’s Le Mans car for $60aud or less cause they’re offering a discount to clear out their stock.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Vorenus posted:

I would do it, but I would hate to blow a bunch of cash on supplies for something that's way above my skill level.

I'm a model railroader. I'm spending thousands and thousands of dollars to build a room to house mountains of supplies for things beyond my skill level.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

another WIP of the 1/72 Fokker D.VII:

Yellow is a terrible color to work with.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

You're making it work. This stuff is dope.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Almost finished with my first scale model. I've done a lot of miniature painting with wargaming stuff but never vehicles and never with an airbrush. My GF got me a cheap one for my birthday and I've been having a ball with it the last few weeks. Still have a lot to learn, but I feel like I've already picked up so much on this first model. It's a pretty cheap Tamiya T-34/76 so I don't feel so bad about doing a mediocre job on it.

Can anyone offer some tips for improving based on this? I think I junked it up more than I should have honestly. My other big problem is keeping dust and fuzzies off of it.

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 24, 2021

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:aaaaa:

This is amazing.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

MrYenko posted:

This is amazing.

yeah how is this done it's incredible

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

punishedkissinger posted:

Almost finished with my first scale model. I've done a lot of miniature painting with wargaming stuff but never vehicles and never with an airbrush. My GF got me a cheap one for my birthday and I've been having a ball with it the last few weeks. Still have a lot to learn, but I feel like I've already picked up so much on this first model. It's a pretty cheap Tamiya T-34/76 so I don't feel so bad about doing a mediocre job on it.

Can anyone offer some tips for improving based on this? I think I junked it up more than I should have honestly. My other big problem is keeping dust and fuzzies off of it.

Welcome to the wild world of tank models. Your first one is looking pretty good, people go way further overboard on weathering, so don't worry about it. The biggest advice I can give you when working with these old kits is look at reference photos. This specific kit is a mish-mash of T-34 tanks produced in 1941-1943 with some features I've never seen even on post-war tanks, rather than any specific tank. Newer kits are a bit better at this, but there are still some easily corrected inaccuracies. Of course that's just optional, if you only care about having a cool tank on your shelf then go for it.

Another issue with these old kits is a lack of transparent pieces, this affects more modern kits too, but rarely. I suggest picking up a bottle of Mig Acrylic Crystal, it does a very good job at imitating headlights, lenses, periscopes, etc.

You might also want to pick up a set of drill bits and a pin vise at the very least to drill out machinegun barrel, again not so much of an issue on newer kits, but even on newer kits you might want to replace things like handrails with brass wire instead of the plastic part.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Ensign Expendable posted:

Welcome to the wild world of tank models. Your first one is looking pretty good, people go way further overboard on weathering, so don't worry about it. The biggest advice I can give you when working with these old kits is look at reference photos. This specific kit is a mish-mash of T-34 tanks produced in 1941-1943 with some features I've never seen even on post-war tanks, rather than any specific tank. Newer kits are a bit better at this, but there are still some easily corrected inaccuracies. Of course that's just optional, if you only care about having a cool tank on your shelf then go for it.

Another issue with these old kits is a lack of transparent pieces, this affects more modern kits too, but rarely. I suggest picking up a bottle of Mig Acrylic Crystal, it does a very good job at imitating headlights, lenses, periscopes, etc.

You might also want to pick up a set of drill bits and a pin vise at the very least to drill out machinegun barrel, again not so much of an issue on newer kits, but even on newer kits you might want to replace things like handrails with brass wire instead of the plastic part.

Thanks! I was definitely winging it more or less with the configuration, idk if many t-34s were getting applique armor like this IRL

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Thanks! I was definitely winging it more or less with the configuration, idk if many t-34s were getting applique armor like this IRL

Just a couple hundred in very early 1942.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

MrYenko posted:

This is amazing.

oh hey look who it is

yeah how is this done it's incredible

Its a multi step process - first a light tan base coat, followed by drawing on the darker laminated layers with a watercolor pencil. I use a wet brush to clean up the lines or any mistakes. This is then protected with a matte varnish that also provides a bit of texture for the next step, a light oil wash to give the wood some grain. The final step is a clear yellow/orange varnish mix.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Cross post from the woodworking thread...

So I have zero idea how interested people in this channel might be in carving, but I am currently having a set of carving chisels/tools hand made by a guy in Russia. Pretty excited to get them.

This guy apparently is normally backed up 6 months to a year on orders, but is currently starting them within a week or two of ordering. He started working on mine yesterday. His tools are very well known in the model ship building world and are apparently used by most of the ridiculously good ship carving guys in Russia (they are renowned for the carving work on their ship models over there). Quality is supposed to be as good as the best Swiss made tools, and the price, while certainly not cheap, is crazy low for what you get, with cost running from $330 up to $640 for the fancy ones, including the box and shipping from Russia.

Included in the set:
flat direct :- 0,7. 1.0. 1,5. 2.0. 2,5. 3.0. 3,5. мм.
oblique flat :- 2,0. 3.0. мм the left and right sharpening (other sizes from 0.5 to 3.0 mm are possible)
semicircular :- 0,5. 0,6. 0,7. 0,8. 0,9. 1. 1,5. 2. 2,5. 3 мм.
mini knife
corner "V"

If anyone is interested in ordering one of these (he gets paid via PayPal, but only when he is ready to start working on your specific set of tools), send me a PM and I'll give you his email. He only speaks Russian but working via Google translate with him is painless and he responds quickly.

If anyone is interested I'll post pictures of my set when they arrive and my impressions, although I have only a few really good Swiss chisels to compare them to.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Now we're talking:

The Super Bee and the S10 kits are both actually manufactured by Revell Germany so I'm hoping they'll suck a little bit less than your average Revell kit. Pretty neat.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Starting off with the deep red below the water line on the hull now and the detailing of the little boats, not really happy with those but I'll see if I can fix a bit later!

Happy with the dark red tone on the hull though.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress yeah man. Armor/AFVs and airplanes get all the glory but botes are where it's at

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Phi230 posted:

gently caress yeah man. Armor/AFVs and airplanes get all the glory but botes are where it's at

Hell yeah.. go botes!

Speaking of.. the stupidly giant bote project draws nearer... the bench is complete, tracks installed, and plan temporarily tacked on top to show how lucky I got brilliant my planning was.

Yes, my workbench in the background is a huge mess.

I've got one full set of plans printed out at full scale now, and sometime this afternoon my new large format printer will arrive so I can start printing all the individual frame patterns and stuff. I've ordered the precision sander I need to sand the bevels and angles for the keel scarf joints, the special drilling attachment for the Sherline Mill is on order and a friend is going to loan me the Sherline attachment to turn my lathe into a mill temporarily until I decide to drop the bucks and get the real mill.

The only things left on my list for starting are a spindle sander which I'll just grab from Lowes or Home Depot, and the balance of the wood supply, which should happen sometime in March, but I can get started without that once everything on order arrives and I get the lathe set up as a temporary mill for precise drilling of the frame location pin holes.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Phi230 posted:

Hahahahah Yeh! Loving the bote so far. It's a real intersting change!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

big_g posted:

Hahahahah Yeh! Loving the bote so far. It's a real intersting change!

Is the intention with the red on the hull to leave it only partially covering to simulate weathering/paint coming off in the ocean?

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

The Locator posted:

Is the intention with the red on the hull to leave it only partially covering to simulate weathering/paint coming off in the ocean?

It covers the sides nice enough I think? And gives some shading and modulation to the curve of the hull. The bottom doesn't bother me as it will be on a stand

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

big_g posted:

It covers the sides nice enough I think? And gives some shading and modulation to the curve of the hull. The bottom doesn't bother me as it will be on a stand

Cool. I don't do plastic stuff so painting is a mystical art form to me! I will be watching to see how it comes along for sure.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

The Locator posted:

Cool. I don't do plastic stuff so painting is a mystical art form to me! I will be watching to see how it comes along for sure.

Hahahah no pressure then! It's all new to me too.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Botes looks fun. Has anyone done a Titanic? any recommended kits?

FiskTireBoy
Nov 2, 2020

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Now we're talking:

The Super Bee and the S10 kits are both actually manufactured by Revell Germany so I'm hoping they'll suck a little bit less than your average Revell kit. Pretty neat.

Hell yeah we need to see more cars in here

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

FiskTireBoy posted:

Hell yeah we need to see more cars in here

And Space Botes !

I've had some frustrating builds lately, so I picked out an easy kit, the Yamato 2199 SDD Yukikaze. Clean lines, bright colors, and enough detailing that I figured it would take panel lining well. And boy howdy, did it ever ! Still some to do, but it's worth showing off already.

These are from Bandai's Mecha Collection, Yamato and Macross kits (mostly Yamato) that generally come in a box about the size of a cell phone and an inch deep for :10bux: They're very high quality snap-tight models, plenty of detail, and quick to paint. Great for a gift to a newcomer or as a palate cleanser.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 27, 2021

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Hobby Link Japan has them for buttons. I've been strongly tempted to get lots.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

HLJ's pricing on them is absurdly low. I just picked up the Gamilon tri-deck carrier for $3.44. That's a moderately complicated kit for the line, and at that price I couldn't resist another one tog et the same treatment as the Yukikaze.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

Hobby Link Japan has them for buttons. I've been strongly tempted to get lots.

I currently have a Ginga, Andromeda, Dreadnought two-pack, Cosmo Tiger, and Cosmo Falcon in my backlog.

To say nothing of the Star Wars portion of the line that I have....

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Finally got this done last week but the weathers been kinda lovely since then so final photos had to wait till today. This has been one of my longer builds becuase first the colour matched paint was out of stock in Australia, then I bought different paint for an alternate scheme but the decals got delayed in Spain thanks to Coivd restrictions. A little later the correct paint came into stock so it was back as a going project in the original scheme that I wanted to do.

Hope you enjoy the pics!

Of course just as I got this done I got an email to tell me the decals had finally been sent so I'll have to build another one in a bit so that I can do the alternate scheme.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cthulu Carl posted:

I currently have a Ginga, Andromeda, Dreadnought two-pack, Cosmo Tiger, and Cosmo Falcon in my backlog.

To say nothing of the Star Wars portion of the line that I have....
I didn't realise there was a Star Wars portion of the Mecha Colle line... have you got links?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

I didn't realise there was a Star Wars portion of the Mecha Colle line... have you got links?

So I can't find 'em on HLJ, but I've ordered them off Amazon in the past. Instead of being called Mecha Colle, they're a line called Vehicle Model but are the same design as the Micha Colle ones - palm-sized model, instructions on the bottom of the lid.

here's an X-wing example Dalong.net - noted mostly for picture reviews of Gundam models - has a section on Bandai's Star Wars models with probably most of their whole line.

I haven't gotten any, but the Mecha Colle line also has Ultraman and Kamen Rider models too.