Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is Peter Stormare in this game lol?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I give this game 4 months

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I give this game 4 months
is that including the next five weeks of the demo and not just from release? because I'm thinking more like 60 days

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

My only previous experience with this was watching the Giant Bomb Unfinished, which unsurprisingly managed to make the game look boring and like a generic "post-apocalyptic shooter".
Played through the first couple of missions and I'm liking it so far. Nothing that immediately jumps out as being amazing, but nothing that seems bad either. Gunplay is fine and I like the "using abilities to gain health" system.
The cover system is a little wonky, but seems workable. I think the voice acting is fine? At least the female PC seems fine. It looks pretty good and barring the server problems, has been running pretty smoothly for me.

I guess it would not be SA without the snarky "GAME BAD :smug:" posting, but some of you people are being kind of weird about it.

edit: should clarify I have been playing on PC.

Flimf fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 25, 2021

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

SpiritOfLenin posted:

i clicked around a bit on the gameplay demo video and i just burst out laughing when i saw the "totally not copying destiny" inventory screen lol.

Yeah I turned on a Twitch stream and the guy was digging around in the inventory and I thought they had switched over to playing Destiny, it's so blatant.

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe
Played this for a bit on PS4 and gently caress me, it’s terrible. The aiming feels like rear end, possibly because the frame rate is bad, and the story / is inexcusably bad in 2021. Like, you go to an alien planet, on a space ship called the may flower, and the first thing you do is bark GET MY TRUCK when you land. American Midwest power fantasy simulator woooooo

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

occluded posted:

the first thing you do is bark GET MY TRUCK when you land. American Midwest power fantasy simulator woooooo

That could be kind of amazing if the game's self aware about it, but then again they made bulletstorm which never really pulled it off

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Flimf posted:

I guess it would not be SA without the snarky "GAME BAD :smug:" posting, but some of you people are being kind of weird about it.
I'm usually the open mind give it a chance guy but the game pissed me off in multiple ways already and I haven't even played it yet.

Once the servers die down and I can actually play I hope I change my mind. Unlike lots of people on the internet seem to, I actually don't want games to be bad

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah, early reactions is if Square expects this game to be one people are playing from launch for a very long time, it ain’t that.

It’s a single-player game basically with multiplayer added in just because.

You’ll probably beat the game and move on. I would almost guarantee that’s what would happen.

When it drops, it’ll probably come to 6-7 outta 10 review scores and I doubt it’ll be a big time seller.

I can tell by reactions and comments elsewhere with the heavy defenders already getting pissy when it gets Anthem comparisons.

It’s not nearly as bad as an Anthem but it’s truly just another Bulletstorm, released in 2021. It’s like, what they would probably do to Bulletstorm if they made a sequel in 2021.

Honest to god, the closest comparison I have for it right now is a cake with a base Ghost Recon Breakpoint, frosted with Gears of War with some The Division sprinkles on the cake.

That’s what it is.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Mashed through all the cutscenes and hit the end of the demo. Based on what I played I'd give the game an "aggressively mediocre"/10. Saw a sub-machine gun with 11% life leech I couldn't afford to buy to try, wondering how those kinds of weapons are going to shake out at end game since percentage based life leech has been OP/required in Diablo 3/Path of Exile.

Devastator feels like playing a Mass Effect vanguard which I enjoy. I also got a helmet that added bleed to my frontal cone power and a chest piece that gave me a 2nd charge on it, so it's nice to see some low level items that actually have impact on gameplay.

Will have to see how things actually shake out at end game as always. I'm interested enough to try out the other classes later.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Flimf posted:

edit: should clarify I have been playing on PC.

You will become one of us sooner or later

Gobble gobble

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Flimf posted:

Homie, it’s an ICR thread

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

ICR posted:

It’s not nearly as bad as an Anthem but it’s truly just another Bulletstorm, released in 2021. It’s like, what they would probably do to Bulletstorm if they made a sequel in 2021.

I have only played a bit of bulletstorm and that was a long time ago, but this seems nothing like bulletstorm. Not in gameplay or tone.

ICR posted:

Honest to god, the closest comparison I have for it right now is a cake with a base Ghost Recon Breakpoint, frosted with Gears of War with some The Division sprinkles on the cake.

This comparison seems more apt.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Completely unimpressed by this demo, not sure it was a great idea to have a very cutscene heavy prologue be the first taste everyone gets especially when I'll be surprised if anyone actually cares about the story in a looter shooter. The writing in this game so far is just generic apocalypse poo poo.

Shooting feels ok, powers feel like poo poo, and moving around the world feels really stiff like I'm glued to the ground.

I'll probably beat the demo and then that's it honestly.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Gladd, the Destiny content streamer says so far he's enjoying the combat (as Trickster). So that's something I guess.

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha
Turning off motion blur manually, found this on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/outriders/comments/lsfpj2/how_to_turn_off_motion_blur_pc_only/

quote:

Close the game, open file explorer and in the navigation bar type %appdata% then press Enter

Now click "AppData" in the navigation bar to go up a folder,

Now keep clicking through the folders in this order.

Local\Madness\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor

Right click Engine.ini and Edit.

At the bottom of the file paste the following

[SystemSettings] r.MotionBlurQuality=0

Save the file, then start the game back up and enjoy no motion blur.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Yeah? We enjoyed anthems combat too

We enjoyed them all until they died

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yeah? We enjoyed anthems combat too

We enjoyed them all until they died

I enjoyed the flying more actually, despite being cruelly limited.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Hovering over the battlefield as the caster and priming /detonating everything in sight was disgustingly good gameplay

Anthem was a colossal waste :smith:

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

props for actually having you play a character that talks and is a part of the story instead of doing the division/destiny thing

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Eastbound Spider posted:

props for actually having you play a character that talks and is a part of the story instead of doing the division/destiny thing
most times I prefer they stay quiet or at least don't have voice acting. I did not like my character talking and being seen talking in Fallout 4. although that was because he was constantly freaking about about a kid I didn't care anything about.

Voiced works better when it's a defined character, like the Witcher, much less when it's supposed to be a character of your own creation

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Really liking the game so far. I set baddies on fire, kill them and I get health back!

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Getting as far as the first couple of sidequests just made me miss Mass Effect multiplayer.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Woke up at 5 am on a Friday to install the demo that only goes until 7 am. Went back to bed

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I thought the story was kind cool lol, maybe I'm just a simp tho.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

ICR posted:

it’s truly just another Bulletstorm, released in 2021. It’s like, what they would probably do to Bulletstorm if they made a sequel in 2021.

So what you’re saying is it’s game of the year, possibly decade.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Wait, can you kick people into things???

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Wait, can you kick people into things???

Nope, my Bulletstorm comparison isn’t good. Sorry all. I meant it in a way of if they were doing a sequel and worded that terribly. Ignore me per usual friends!!

Breakpoint + Gears + Division. Go with that one!

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

fadam posted:

I thought the story was kind cool lol, maybe I'm just a simp tho.

leading with it is an extremely bad idea for this kind of game but yea I didn't mind the hang out parts

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Wait Tanners daughter has been pregnant for 86 years?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

How! posted:

Wait Tanners daughter has been pregnant for 86 years?

you can be pregnant in hypersleep is fine, hypersleep is made up you can do whatever. there's so much stupid science in this game elsewhere lol

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Hy_C posted:

Someone frame this for when the inevitable happens.

good luck, ICR! :)

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

drkeiscool posted:

Wh40k Darktide will actually be good though :colbert:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Everything about this game, Remnant: From the Ashes does better. By like 2000%. I honestly wish I could get back the hour I spent playing this demo.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

XBL is a mess so I tried it on PC. I didn't have to do the stupid Squeenix sign up on PC. Still too many cutscenes and takes too long to get to the action, thankfully you can skip on other characters. Chose the fire guy and it seems ok so far. Seems interesting enough that I'll try the other classes first and then give it a serious try later on.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Just wrapped my pyromancer run and really started getting into the rhythm of the game at the end. The first boss that I had issues with earlier was because I was bad and didn't fully understand interrupting enemy abilities.

The game's writing hasn't gotten any better, but for some reason it's not bothering me as much any more. It's a fun game!

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Wh40k Darktide will actually be good though :colbert:

Really stoked for that one!

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

drkeiscool posted:

gently caress, most games I'm interested in are going to be ICR threads?

I didn't really like the little bit I could play. I was a trickster so i just walked to enemies one by one so I could kill them in range for my heal. Not exactly exciting gameplay.

Shooting also doesn't feel amazing, but I can't quite put my finger on why. I'll finish the demo at least and maybe give it a try once it goes on sale some day.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

scuz posted:

The first boss that I had issues with earlier was because I was bad and didn't fully understand interrupting enemy abilities.

Having MMO style interrupts in a shooter might be OK, however in an MMO you have a button specifically for interrupting. In this game you get three powers and I guess you're supposed to just keep one off cooldown in case you need to interrupt something during a boss fight?

Thinking more on the life leech weapons, it might actually be helpful in a cover shooter since it can be frustrating for the player to lose a health trade every time they pop out from cover in high difficulty content.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Hugoon Chavez posted:

gently caress, most games I'm interested in are going to be ICR threads?

I didn't really like the little bit I could play. I was a trickster so i just walked to enemies one by one so I could kill them in range for my heal. Not exactly exciting gameplay.

Shooting also doesn't feel amazing, but I can't quite put my finger on why. I'll finish the demo at least and maybe give it a try once it goes on sale some day.

Oh no no, I won’t do the threads for those games most likely. Many have communities already.

I’ll probably do Scavengers when that time comes at the very least. It’s made by the team that did Halo 5 Warzone stuff. I enjoyed that.

They’re just games I’m interested in and tracking with is all!

As for this, I’m on my second character now and I am super into the Trickster. Definitely improving my experience.

And I don’t know y’all’s thoughts yet but I see some potential in this loot system. I saw a friend got The Icebreaker legendary drop and it looked cool and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Blind Rasputin posted:

Everything about this game, Remnant: From the Ashes does better. By like 2000%. I honestly wish I could get back the hour I spent playing this demo.

As someone who played Remnant, I disagree. It's a completely different game with not as good combat.

I'm actually glad this game seems to be set to be a shooter with a story that happens to have multiplayer and a loot treadmill instead of some dumb live service.