Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Okay wow that was a lot :spidey:

e: Okay yeah so this is also a straight up MUTANT RETCON. She had powers now beforehand, the Mind Stone just turbocharged it! :getin:

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Feb 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BrianWilly posted:

Okay wow that was a lot :spidey:

e: Okay yeah so this is also a straight up MUTANT RETCON. She had powers now beforehand, the Mind Stone just turbocharged it! :getin:

I think its more she just had innate magical powers, that she could use magic without any training, which was confusing Agatha because she couldn't figure out how Wanda was able to do all this poo poo without any training or even being aware of actual magic powers. Which is probably why Wanda is going to end up hanging out with Dr Strange, so she can learn real magic

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Its Rinaldo posted:

Kathryn Hahn loving rules

It's not like it's a shock after her take on Doc Ock in Spiderverse.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

drat this episode got me crying. Bring the kleenex for those wbo havent seen it.

Grief is a hell of a thing and powerful too. everything starts to make sense and it really boils down to Wanda wanting Vision. "What is grief if not love persevering" is going to be a tattoo for me next.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

twistedmentat posted:

Omg she said it! Literally pointed like Leo when Agatha said You're the Scarlet Witch!

I hope something really, really bad happens to Hayward. Like some Jojo's level of punishment, turned into a rock or forced to die over and over and over again.

The only thing I've really been disappointed with in this show is I wish they would not have made Hayward as much a mustache twirling villain like he is and give Monica more to work with. Spend some time on how traumatized he and everyone who survived the snap would be trying to put society back together nevermind he being part of a organization that supposedly dealt with extrasolar threats but failed. Spend time on Monica too whom woke up one day and her mom's dead and everything is different. Have instead when Monica calls Hayward a coward for hiding behind the snap and Monica being the Empathic Hero Who Is Right Because They Are Heroic be correct and Hayward being weaselly trying to hide his crimes, have Monica consumed by her own grief lashing out while being correct Hayward isn't hiding because he's a sneak but because he and SWORD are loving broken and they were trying to fix a world ruined by laser people punching each other. Just dead eyed stares all around from SWORD vets who spent the last five years living in the ruins of a comic universe special edition run.

Really play up him breaking due to the grief and stress Hayward feels today vs what Monica is feeling as one who blinked and had things taken from her. I think they could have made it a lot more nuanced while still having Hayward be a gently caress and Monica being the one who is making the right call. They could still do it in the episodes we have left but I know they won't do it and it disappoints me.

I'm kinda rambly but if there's one thing I wish this show did was not cut off at a half hour and spend maybe five minutes more an episode looking at everyone else's grief since this whole series is about it.

Wooo boy Wanda though sure has been though the poo poo even though we've known it it's another thing to plaster it on the screen.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Quoting myself cause I'm so hype for next week :slick:

Infinitum posted:

I wonder if we'll see the old school spectral Vision costume before the end :allears:

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Great post. I agree. They barely hinted at it and otherwise he isn't really logically consistent.

The little heart with "To grow old in. -V" hosed me up

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I think its more she just had innate magical powers, that she could use magic without any training, which was confusing Agatha because she couldn't figure out how Wanda was able to do all this poo poo without any training or even being aware of actual magic powers. Which is probably why Wanda is going to end up hanging out with Dr Strange, so she can learn real magic
But that's literally, specifically what her powers originally were, when she was a mutant. This was back in the silver age days when mutant powers were just writers going "Yeah she's a witch, she does hexes. Why is hexing someone a mutant power and what does it do? Uh don't think about it too much." Later on she would train in magic, but that was handwaved as a way to control her actual, natural powers.

Agatha describing the first manifestation of her powers here a "probability hex" is a direct reference to that. This is lifted directly from her comics origin.

Which I'm really glad of because this whole "human who gained powers from the Infinity Stone" thing was a big annoyance back when Whedon first implemented it for Age of Ultron, especially when they had the bright idea to port it to the comics and it hosed up her already hosed up continuity even more.

Heck, it's clear now that MCU Pietro never actually interacted with the Mind Stone like Wanda did; he might have very well just developed superspeed naturally.

What I'm saying is that we're one adoption reveal away from Magneto :getin:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BrianWilly posted:

But that's literally, specifically what her powers originally were, when she was a mutant. This was back in the silver age days when mutant powers were just writers going "Yeah she's a witch, she does hexes. Why is hexing someone a mutant power and what does it do? Uh don't think about it too much." Later on she would train in magic, but that was handwaved as a way to control her actual, natural powers.

Agatha describing the first manifestation of her powers here a "probability hex" is a direct reference to that. This is lifted directly from her comics origin.

Which I'm really glad of because this whole "human who gained powers from the Infinity Stone" thing was a big annoyance back when Whedon first implemented it for Age of Ultron, especially when they had the bright idea to port it to the comics and it hosed up her already hosed up continuity even more.

Heck, it's clear now that MCU Pietro never actually interacted with the Mind Stone like Wanda did; he might have very well just developed superspeed naturally.

What I'm saying is that we're one adoption reveal away from Magneto :getin:

Hahah, I forgot that his is leading to Whedon erasure, good, because gently caress that guy. But while i'm totally down with Mutants in the MCU, until Wanda is straight up said to be a mutant, I'm just going to go with the inate magical powers. Plus Silver Age Wanda's mutant power was more bad luck in the form of hex's, it was as things went a long and she got more development where its more her mutant ability to manipulate reality combined with magical skill that made her insanely powerful. LIke how Illyana's power is teleportation though stepping disks but being trapped in Limbo with Belasco and Magic Storm also taught her to know actual magic, its an augment

I do with they had gotten Chis Evans to show up, as besides Vision, he was the only Avenger to really show her any kindness. Well, I guess Hawkeye but Olsen already had to deal with him

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

twistedmentat posted:

I hope something really, really bad happens to Hayward. Like some Jojo's level of punishment, turned into a rock or forced to die over and over and over again.

Found this thread late.

Anyway, my all-out there theory for that would be that by the end Wanda traps Agatha and Hayward in the roles of Agnes and her husband Ralph, constantly living in re-runs forever

BurritoJustice posted:

The little heart with "To grow old in. -V" hosed me up

Is it me, or was it hinted that Wanda was surprised at finding the paper in her car? Like someone was waiting until her darkest moment to just give a little push with showing her that the life she always wanted was now gone forever?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

STAC Goat posted:

Seems like some kinda cross dimensional/time/witch fate encounter with "The Scarlet Witch". Whatever the hell Agatha meant by that.

It makes me wonder if it ties into stuff from the 2016 Scarlet Witch solo book, which had Wanda encounter the spirit of her biological mother, who had also been known at one point as the Scarlet Witch.

I'd think it was too deep of a dive if the show hadn't already pulled out a bunch of the '80s "Wanda and Vision go to suburbia" miniseries, plus John Byrne!Vision.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Kal-L posted:

Is it me, or was it hinted that Wanda was surprised at finding the paper in her car? Like someone was waiting until her darkest moment to just give a little push with showing her that the life she always wanted was now gone forever?

I didn't think of that, it looked to me as if she had gotten it, opened the letter, went to SWORD to see Visions body and after coming back to her car looked at it again and decided to go to the place

Also curious to when this lines up with Monica's stuff we saw in episode 4.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Its Rinaldo posted:

The only thing I've really been disappointed with in this show is I wish they would not have made Hayward as much a mustache twirling villain like he is and give Monica more to work with.

I agree with this. He's been the weakest part of the entire series thus far and his actions seem forced. His actions didnt click with how he approached Monica initially, which was respectful and dutiful. His actions afterwards were not so and seemed too villanous.

The scene with Wanda was more of the approach i was hoping for. Respectful, allowing her to see what they are doing etc. He understands the grief and touches on the moral and ethical aspects of Vision coming around. I really don't think he would have the white vision as a last resort. its just touched upon very poorly. There could have been a better approach than "grrrr witchy woman is evil might as well send a missiled drone in to attempt to incapacitate her."

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
Great episode. This show is at its best when Elizabeth Olsen, Paul Bettany, or Kathryn Hahn are given room to act and this episode gave them a whole bunch to work with.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

twistedmentat posted:

I didn't think of that, it looked to me as if she had gotten it, opened the letter, went to SWORD to see Visions body and after coming back to her car looked at it again and decided to go to the place

Also curious to when this lines up with Monica's stuff we saw in episode 4.

You know, maybe it is like that. Which would make Vision's lines during their encounter in Infinity War more meaningful in that when he was trying to convince Wanda to just leave somewhere else, he already had bought the plot of land, and Westview was probably much nicer pre-snap. Also, he probably has enough money from his Avengers salary saved up to build Wanda a dream house, since he doesn't eat food. :v:

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I was very surprised by Hayward flat out telling Wanda she can resurrect Vision. In episode 3 he said that her powers were "getting in people's heads and making them see things that aren't real", which was why her actually transmuting everything was a genuine shock to him and SWORD. I wonder how much of what he said in the SWORD site base was performative, given that he cut together bullshit footage of Wanda stealing Vision's body to show them.

I almost cried when Vision said "Wanda" in a really comforting tone after she created the Hex. Hayward strangeness aside, the episode was very touching and emotionally consistent.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

BurritoJustice posted:

I was very surprised by Hayward flat out telling Wanda she can resurrect Vision.

If anyone is going to be revealed as Mephisto, it will likely be Hayward.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Although, tragically, still no scenes of Wanda watching Full House :v:

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
what if Hayward knew full well the drone missile couldn't take out Wanda, he just wanted her Maximum Pissed to juice the Master Matrix White Vision from the get-go

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I can't believe Bryan Cranston is finally part of the MCU after years of people fancasting them in roles.

Wanderer posted:

It makes me wonder if it ties into stuff from the 2016 Scarlet Witch solo book, which had Wanda encounter the spirit of her biological mother, who had also been known at one point as the Scarlet Witch.

I'd think it was too deep of a dive if the show hadn't already pulled out a bunch of the '80s "Wanda and Vision go to suburbia" miniseries, plus John Byrne!Vision.

If it is, that would mean that her actual family was actually living out Bewitched for real!

radlum
May 13, 2013

BurritoJustice posted:

I almost cried when Vision said "Wanda" in a really comforting tone after she created the Hex. Hayward strangeness aside, the episode was very touching and emotionally consistent.

That scene got me too; I wasn't surprised by it, but it carried a lot of emotional weight.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I don't know anything about Mephisto but I already hate him for spawning so many "maybe X character is him in disguise" theories.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

For reference

Hype for Spectral Vision, and his potential reincarnation. Everybody is alive except Black Widow :v: (But it looks like she'll be in Loki)

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
One thing I'm not sure if I misunderstood.

Wanda drives into Westview, but the cops in Episode 4 said that Westview didn't exist, right?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

GlenMR posted:

Wanda drives into Westview, but the cops in Episode 4 said that Westview didn't exist, right?

The cops were under the effect of however the Hex was initially hiding itself. They were standing right under a Welcome to Westview sign.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

GlenMR posted:

Westview got erased from the minds of anyone who had pre-existing knowledge of Westview, but it still existed.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

GlenMR posted:

They even say they're from Eastview, which most likely doesn't exist and is just what Wanda put in their heads so they could bugger off elsewhere

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Its Rinaldo posted:

The only thing I've really been disappointed with in this show is I wish they would not have made Hayward as much a mustache twirling villain like he is and give Monica more to work with. Spend some time on how traumatized he and everyone who survived the snap would be trying to put society back together nevermind he being part of a organization that supposedly dealt with extrasolar threats but failed. Spend time on Monica too whom woke up one day and her mom's dead and everything is different. Have instead when Monica calls Hayward a coward for hiding behind the snap and Monica being the Empathic Hero Who Is Right Because They Are Heroic be correct and Hayward being weaselly trying to hide his crimes, have Monica consumed by her own grief lashing out while being correct Hayward isn't hiding because he's a sneak but because he and SWORD are loving broken and they were trying to fix a world ruined by laser people punching each other. Just dead eyed stares all around from SWORD vets who spent the last five years living in the ruins of a comic universe special edition run.

Really play up him breaking due to the grief and stress Hayward feels today vs what Monica is feeling as one who blinked and had things taken from her. I think they could have made it a lot more nuanced while still having Hayward be a gently caress and Monica being the one who is making the right call. They could still do it in the episodes we have left but I know they won't do it and it disappoints me.

I'm kinda rambly but if there's one thing I wish this show did was not cut off at a half hour and spend maybe five minutes more an episode looking at everyone else's grief since this whole series is about it.

Wooo boy Wanda though sure has been though the poo poo even though we've known it it's another thing to plaster it on the screen.

Isn't that what the first hour of Endgame is about? Black Widow became a recluse who wanted to investigate earthquakes and Hawkeye became a serial killer vigilante.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I really enjoy the actress as Agatha now she gets to let loose and ham it up. I hope they really play up the Wanda is actually, legitimately dangerous and any magic user can see it angle, and not just go full 'Agatha is evil for no reason'.

Also the "Whos been messing up everything?" song in context is being sung from Wandas POV, Agathas only been messing up her bullshit

massive spider fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Feb 26, 2021

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Kind of disappointed Pietro is apparently an illusion and not the actual Fox Quicksilver grabbed from another dimension.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Maybe Heyward in Westview and in the hq are not the same person??

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Kind of disappointed Pietro is apparently an illusion and not the actual Fox Quicksilver grabbed from another dimension.
Well, we don't know that yet. All Agatha did was mind-control him. We're still not sure where he came from.

In fact, I'm kinda leaning towards the theory that he was actually not under control during the previous stinger, and might end up helping Monica and friends defeat iVision

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Isn't that the chaos magic though? Everyone who's been created was created by Wanda, plus Agatha said her first option was necromancy. Still seems likely that she just grabbed him from the Foxverse.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I realize the last shot of Agatha strangling the twins is made to look like she's controlling them like puppets. Probably a little reference to Master Pandemonium, who made the children look like hand puppets.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Unless I misunderstood, Agatha was just using Pietro to needle Wanda for information. It’s still possible/probable that Wanda, in her grief, pulled the wrong Pietro from the multiverse and he really is the Fox Pietro. Agatha just saw it happen and took advantage of a new opening for information.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

live with fruit posted:

Isn't that the chaos magic though? Everyone who's been created was created by Wanda, plus Agatha said her first option was necromancy. Still seems likely that she just grabbed him from the Foxverse.

I could've sworn she said he was an illusion right before she said necromancy wasn't an option.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

massive spider posted:

I really enjoy the actress as Agatha now she gets to let loose and ham it up. I hope they really play up the Wanda is actually, legitimately dangerous and any magic user can see it angle, and not just go full 'Agatha is evil for no reason'

It's definitely a lot more fun if Agatha 's past with her own dangerous powers makes her more motivated by the danger of uncontrollable Wanda than a straight villain, yeah

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

It's definitely a lot more fun if Agatha 's past with her own dangerous powers makes her more motivated by the danger of uncontrollable Wanda than a straight villain, yeah

They haven't actually said what Agatha wants, right? Or Heyward, for that matter.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

live with fruit posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Agatha did say she was supposed to be a myth.