Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Zeno-25 posted:

Just drove across town on my lunch break because microcenter's web site said they had six msi 3060s left and sure enough when I got there they were "voutchered out" earlier this morning or some bullshit

gently caress YOU, microcenter what a waste of my time

The one time I used Micro Center I had an extremely similar experience.

They couldn’t find the power supply in the back they said they had online and they also forgot to cancel my order upon realizing they cant find it.

So my rear end drives on over to pick up my order and then they inform me they couldn’t find it when they looked 3 hours ago.

Bestbuy and Amazon only at this point for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Microcenter CA is currently in the middle of Nerd War between
* People that want to wait in line in chairs to qualify for vouchers

And

* People that support an online, checkin-based line organized by a buttcoin miner who was banned from Microcenter and places people right back on the list after they get cards

The management is poo poo and doesn't care but on the morrow there be blood.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
I'd be on team Chair, 100%. You want that card you sit your fuckin rear end down and work for it

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Just show up with a wheelbarrow full of marks

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

axeil posted:

What is Resizeable BAR and why would I want it?

Extra 1% performance

So naturally it's the second coming of christ

Never understood it being hailed as a paradigm shift, it is taking up way too much mindshare imo

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

you cant buy a gpu so all you can do is sit around and dream about tinkering with your current gpu. makes perfect sense.

edit: also its a marketing blitz because its disabled on Turing cards.

vvv- by "I dont believe those numbers," I mean the demand is significantly higher than that, for all the reasons you outline below and more.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

bus hustler posted:

I don't believe those numbers, there's no way demand is only 10-30% greater than current output if the entire country of China is getting 500/mo or so. This has gone on so long and never been close to satisfying demand that there have to be more people in the market now than in December, just by sheer need.

Like my job is turning over into an entirely new refresh cycle and we're all GPU. Nothing to do with gaming, but this has gone on almost 6mo.

This is some real micro inflation poo poo, there are too many people with up to $2k to spend on this, so it costs more and more dollars every day to buy the limited supply. More people are able to afford as well as the inflation has blown up the used market, more stimulus is coming, and the US economy is going to start firing up again as spring rolls in.

In the UK we have moved to a four day working week and we only make window seals for cars. We've had to make this change because our customers literally can't make any cars, because they don't have the chips they need. The issue is real and it's affecting more than pasty nerds who want their PS5s and geforce 42069s.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

There are literally companies making MRI machines and other medical equipment who can no longer make such equipment because all the semiconductors are being hoovered up by Apple, Sony, Nvidia and co.

At some point people need to start asking the fabs questions

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The answer:
:capitalism:

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Lol that auto makers have turned their cars into over-automated planned-obsolescence machines that are more dangerous by virtue of distracting their drivers with fancy infotainment features and now it's biting them in the rear end.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

There are literally companies making MRI machines and other medical equipment who can no longer make such equipment because all the semiconductors are being hoovered up by Apple, Sony, Nvidia and co.

I think we need to ask why no one is willing to build the necessary capacity because some MBA shithead decided capital investment is for chumps and hey i'm only here for a few years and even if my company tanks i'll get tens of millions of dollars as a parachute anyway

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

To say they're beeing hoovered up is probably not right, I assume contracts and orders are being filled. What I'm almost positive did happen was tons of canceled orders in Q1/Q2 2020 where all of that fab space did get snapped up by nvidia/amd/apple/etc. because their industries saw 10% growth last year. It's just a function of a number of economic practices and realities butting heads because everyone created a global system which required no wars/pandemic/etc. to keep going.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Extra 1% performance

Never understood it being hailed as a paradigm shift, it is taking up way too much mindshare imo

It’s the next thing for everyone to latch on to, like when a million redditors suddenly decided “the good VRMs” were absolutely essential as if they made a difference for anyone not running a YouTube channel.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fallom posted:

It’s the next thing for everyone to latch on to, like when a million redditors suddenly decided “the good VRMs” were absolutely essential as if they made a difference for anyone not running a YouTube channel.

I assume this is a feature pretty much any board will have in the future.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Extra 1% performance

Fallom posted:

doesn't rebar allow the pc to fill the gpu directly from a ssd, greatly speeding up load times in games that will do that because you don't need to go through cpu and ram?

there are some games where it'll come in handy and give a few % perf boost, but i thoguht the biggest shift is gonna be load times

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Truga posted:

doesn't rebar allow the pc to fill the gpu directly from a ssd, greatly speeding up load times in games that will do that because you don't need to go through cpu and ram?

there are some games where it'll come in handy and give a few 5 perf boost, but i thoguht the biggest shift is gonna be load times

that's directstorage which is a different (but probably complementary) thing

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

So we know the backside VRAM chips on the 3090s will gleefully cook themselves, and the backplate isn't beefy enough to stop them. Enter a blogger with a low-tech fix.

Reminds me of the time I used e-tape and two bent PCI slot knockouts to hang a fan from the heatsink of my voodoo card.

dumby
Oct 25, 2007
Can y'all stop playing video games for a goddamned minute so I can buy a video card to keep my business running?

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

ReBAR is another thing that seems to scale with resolution. It's not "nothing" at 1080p it can be up to 15% or so, which is pretty nice. Drops to 6% at 1440p and 3-4% at 4k.

It'd be nice tho on the Turing cards :mad:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I have an Asus b450, a 3300x and a 3070. I play at 1440p, can I turn it on and would that be...good.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

dumby posted:

Can y'all stop playing video games for a goddamned minute so I can buy a video card to keep my business running?

What does your business do? Can't you buy one from a scalper?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Mining? lol

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'm a 3d artist in games/vr and I would like to get a 3080 for msrp but scalpers' prices ain't in the budget. The card already costs almost as much as all the rest of the parts of my new machine combined..

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

mutata posted:

I'm a 3d artist in games/vr and I would like to get a 3080 for msrp but scalpers' prices ain't in the budget. The card already costs almost as much as all the rest of the parts of my new machine combined..

Not getting anything for MSRP for a long time.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

bus hustler posted:

To say they're beeing hoovered up is probably not right,

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/12/22/apple-takes-tsmcs-whole-3nm-production-capacity-for-mac-iphone-ipad

:thunk:

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Thats a 3nm chip for iphones ordered by apple, not the 7nm process making GPUs and CPUs. but my point wasnt that these chips are being made & apple is swooping in and getting them, but apple/sony/etc took advantage of the cancelled orders from other companies and have booked the fab time.

hoovering up implies they're taking them from other people, like by swooping in and paying more after production, that isnt the case. there is just a general shortage, and companies who weren't willing to sit on inventory (you can simply reduce future orders, this is entirely a short term panic move) are getting squeezed hardest.

There's no "bad guy" here.

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

mutata posted:

At this rate you should really look for a 3090 if you want a GPU in the near term. Those tend to last way longer during drops. The price is high so it comes down to having performance boost now vs 6 months from now but at half the price.

paberu fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 26, 2021

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

While that sounds big ordering the “entire production capacity” is 600k processors annually. Apple sold 217 million iPhones in 2018. Mac unit sales for the same year were 5.5mil. Apple needs orders of magnitude more capacity, unless the article meant wafers and not processors in which case it’d maybe cover most of the Mac line up.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

bus hustler posted:

ReBAR is another thing that seems to scale with resolution. It's not "nothing" at 1080p it can be up to 15% or so, which is pretty nice. Drops to 6% at 1440p and 3-4% at 4k.

This specific example has me scratching my head a little. Unless I'm misunderstanding ReBAR (allows the CPU to access more of the VRAM at a time through the PCIe bus) it would make sense to me that ReBAR would create some amount of performance gain across ALL titles. So why then does Nvidia's announcement state that games would need to be supported (also that some games see performance degradation)?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

There are games that regress slightly with AMDs flavour of reBAR too, so I guess NV is playing it safe and whitelisting games that are known to benefit

ufarn
May 30, 2009

jisforjosh posted:

This specific example has me scratching my head a little. Unless I'm misunderstanding ReBAR (allows the CPU to access more of the VRAM at a time through the PCIe bus) it would make sense to me that ReBAR would create some amount of performance gain across ALL titles. So why then does Nvidia's announcement state that games would need to be supported (also that some games see performance degradation)?

They're literally just cherrypicking the games with the best gains from what I can tell. (And leaving out the ones with negative performance gain.)

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

bus hustler posted:

Interestingly, ReBAR saves more processing time per frame as resolution increases. We just don't have GPUs powerful enough make that matter yet.

pre:
Resolution    Savings Per Frame (Msec)
1080p         0.93
1440p         1.00
2160p         1.27

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I imagine the 3060s will all be sold out across the globe by the time I want to get one. Any first hand accounts of the thing and how it runs in here?

EDIT: oh lol it's already sold out

Shinjobi fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 26, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

My current card is a 970 and it does just fine! :mad:

Hey, I love my 970, I was going to keep it for another year since there's basically no games coming out with good graphics worth playing in the next year (or most of the time, really) anyway. Old thing was just feeling a bit slow for work and stuff too, plus my roommate started building a PC and it flared up my pcitis. I'm just calling it a POS because the 10 series seems like the new "just get this it'll be pretty drat good for a long while yet" whereas 970 is still chugging along in the long while for a little while now. Plus I smoke weed in here, I assume someone desperate enough could scrape resin dust off my cpu heatsink and get high if they wanted.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

EDIT: oh lol it's already sold out

in the distant future there will no longer be direct buying from stores but instead you must buy from the scalper crime syndicates who control the supply lines. Forget the power of technology and science, for so much has been forgotten, never to be re-learned. Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for in the grim dark future there is only mining. There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of calculations and obsolence, and the laughter of thirsting Satoshis.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Just got an auto notify for RTX 3060 XC GAMING. Seems like they must have a bunch of stock or miners are really actually buying everything.

dumby
Oct 25, 2007

EngineerJoe posted:

What does your business do? Can't you buy one from a scalper?

3D modeling/3D printing but 200-400% markup is just mind blowing

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Canna Happy posted:

Just got an auto notify for RTX 3060 XC GAMING. Seems like they must have a bunch of stock or miners are really actually buying everything.

Every single time I've gotten a discord notification push the link is already sold out

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Doctor Nutt posted:

Every single time I've gotten a discord notification push the link is already sold out

By auto notify I mean an email to purchase from evga direct.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Canna Happy posted:

By auto notify I mean an email to purchase from evga direct.

Oh I see. I haven't had a single notification from them myself and I signed up for several of their upcoming cards (back in November).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

paberu posted:

At this rate you should really look for a 3090 if you want a GPU in the near term. Those tend to last way longer during drops. The price is high so it comes down to having performance boost now vs 6 months from now but at half the price.

But do they really? 3090s are selling out instantly too. Regardless, you'll need a bot/discord-alerts, free time to F5, and a lot of luck to score a 3080/90.