Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Wifi Toilet posted:

Sure gets quiet in here after everyone loses some money. :(

Portfolio's down 30%, as I'm basically all in on SPY calls. Luckily though, I just bought these, so I have plenty of time to wait and hold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

java
May 7, 2005

Wifi Toilet posted:

I’m trying to figure out what I’m going to do tomorrow tbh. I am thinking I might try to pick up some PLTR and AAPL to try to average down a bit.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
I'm going to be loving sick

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

err posted:

I'm going to be loving sick

Why, are you this guy who bought $90k of GME at $150 this morning?

e: Don't worry, he's got a backup plan

Wifi Toilet fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Feb 26, 2021

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I start the day thinking "wow I'm dumb, could have put a few hundred into GME when I saw it blowing up at 91" and end the day thinking "at least I didn't blow 30k".

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

For $15 I'd expect my handjob to be indoors tbh.

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...

Wifi Toilet posted:

I just look at my holdings of Build a Bear Workshop which held quite steady today. The rest of the gambling account went down 9.3% today. That's not too bad I guess.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
LOL after hours was absolutely brutal to AGTC, NDRA, ONTX, MJ, SNDL, etc.

My weed meme windfall just went up in smoke.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

after hours isnt real, op

i mean, it is, obviously, but the price action becomes more volatile as volume falls and after hours is low low volume so dont just stare at.after hours tickers and think it always represents the market's current valuation of your stocks.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

java posted:

I’m trying to figure out what I’m going to do tomorrow tbh. I am thinking I might try to pick up some PLTR and AAPL to try to average down a bit.

I'll keep buying AAPL, I think they're a good long term hold unless the entire market comes tumbling down again. (And I've never liked Apple products.)

For my portfolio in general, the funds Im holding are tech-heavy enough that Ive gone from being significantly up to now slightly down for YTD.
I'm confident in a turnaround there as well.

iSurrender fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Feb 26, 2021

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Leperflesh posted:

i mean, it is, obviously, but the price action becomes more volatile as volume falls and after hours is low low volume so dont just stare at.after hours tickers and think it always represents the market's current valuation of your stocks.

unless that is gme

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

My favourite was the fact that Australian listed penny stock mining company GME Resources P/L saw a big spike in it's share price during the original Gamestop saga, and in the last day has seen another little pop.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

It's great education in how liquidity affects volatility. It does indeed represent the market's current valuation. It's more a problem of perception, the last ticker tick isn't necessarily something that should be put on the holy pedestal of crowd wisdom.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Wifi Toilet posted:

Well I learned a lot about diversification and to keep trusting in my rule of "don't follow the hype too much".
I feel like I was already pretty diverse, with a third in spacs, a third in stocks, a quarter in the allworld ETF and a part still in cash as I was looking for another ETF.
My losses are mostly from Apple and Palantir. I stayed away from Palantir for a very long time because it felt like it was hyped too much and I missed the boat. But I still bought some not too long ago after it dipped. Well, apparently it can dip even further. Live and learn. I figure both will recover at some point, but for now I'll learn to know the red.

But I've been reading and listening to podcasts so I'm also planning on going a bit further in setting up my positions. Seems like the current correction is a good moment.
Going to look at some more diverse strategies. I'm currently very interested in the boring dividend strategy so I'm going over a list of larger companies who pay well and see what's up with that. I know, that's more the investing thread instead of the gambling thread.

All three threads are wealthy in info if you just hang around and read.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Speaking of PLTR, if that hype is still real it's looking very attractive rn. What's the longer term feeling, though? You guys doubling down, is that for a quick turn around, or a longer hold?

I see Goldman has a target of $34, but a number of other analysts have $23-25 https://investorplace.com/2021/02/pltr-stock-grows-into-its-high-priced-valuation-potential-upside/

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
I'm only down 0.64% after completely coincedentally going almost all-cash two days ago in order to divest from weade stonks and to sock away for taxes, I think I took a break at the exact right time?

Also, thank you again for everyone's advice in the thread, turns out my dad was a big chump who handed his money over to an investment advisor/advising firm, recommended by his buddies, who took all his buddies' and his money and ran (while lying that they invested it in long-term high-div total index funds). It might've actually been something Ponzi-style cause at some point this company was giving returns.

I also somehow paranoid-ly exited all my ARK a week ago due to the cult-like atmosphere surrounding Cathie so that's two lucky strikes!

stealth edit: RIP, SPCE goons :ohdear:

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

gay picnic defence posted:

My favourite was the fact that Australian listed penny stock mining company GME Resources P/L saw a big spike in it's share price during the original Gamestop saga, and in the last day has seen another little pop.

Some guy posted a photo of him fat fingering a 50k purchase of GME resources at like 4pm

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Gonna start FATF, an umbrella ETF that contains various sub ETFs such as TLSA, APL, AMC etc.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Le Saboteur posted:

Airlines are getting a piece of the stimulus package so they might start accelerating tomorrow

Start accelerating? AAL is up like 20% in the last week, and 30% YTD! Up 100% since October!

That said I agree that everyone should get in airlines. Preferably a week ago, but failing that, this week is good too.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Victorian Gentleman posted:

Which ones in particular seem like a good buy for a first time airline stock purchaser?

Just get in JETS

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Who wants a youtube with Uncle Bruce? This is going around, and I'm not much for random youtuber takes, but in lieu of other explanations I'm curious what people think.

The relevant part is from like 05:00 to 35:00, and I timestamped the most relevant part:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta9FfikSl9M&t=1319s

tldr: the insanity of gamestop over the last months has led to shitloads of Calls being written, many abnormally high. Normally these high calls would expire worthless, with the writers pocketing the fee (that's why they do it, if people want to buy stuff that's $100 out of the money, it's incredibly unlikely to hit), but, since it's gamestop, another frenzy kicked off that is putting more and more of these calls in the money. The naked writers have been scrambling to find enough shares to cover the millions needed to fill these calls, and there just aren't enough.

Oh and those abnormally high, abnormally high volume, strikes - if they actually hit, they trigger millions more shares being needed. Like if that 200 strike hits, that's 3 million more shares needed to fill those contracts, today:

I'm not touching the poop but I'm curious if this is crazy or has some truth.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

gay picnic defence posted:

A small part of me kinda wants to buy a bunch of this and sell the next time they try to pump Gamestop again. I mean, everyone knows it's basically impossible to lose money on penny stocks.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Nosre posted:

Who wants a youtube with Uncle Bruce? This is going around, and I'm not much for random youtuber takes, but in lieu of other explanations I'm curious what people think.

The relevant part is from like 05:00 to 35:00, and I timestamped the most relevant part:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta9FfikSl9M&t=1319s

tldr: the insanity of gamestop over the last months has led to shitloads of Calls being written, many abnormally high. Normally these high calls would expire worthless, with the writers pocketing the fee (that's why they do it, if people want to buy stuff that's $100 out of the money, it's incredibly unlikely to hit), but, since it's gamestop, another frenzy kicked off that is putting more and more of these calls in the money. The naked writers have been scrambling to find enough shares to cover the millions needed to fill these calls, and there just aren't enough.

Oh and those abnormally high, abnormally high volume, strikes - if they actually hit, they trigger millions more shares being needed. Like if that 200 strike hits, that's 3 million more shares needed to fill those contracts, today:

I'm not touching the poop but I'm curious if this is crazy or has some truth.

That's basically a gamma squeeze.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH3-Gt7mgyM

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

cr0y posted:

That's basically a gamma squeeze.

meaning it's the commonly accepted understanding of what's going on the last few days?

it seemed like anytime these longer explanations get posted (since they often come from reddit) they get dismissed as

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

Nosre posted:

meaning it's the commonly accepted understanding of what's going on the last few days?

it seemed like anytime these longer explanations get posted (since they often come from reddit) they get dismissed as

I think it's because some people like to go a little wild with it and think any and all of these squeezes means the price will go up by 1000%+

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

iSurrender posted:

I think it's because some people like to go a little wild with it and think any and all of these squeezes means the price will go up by 1000%+

Yeah, these models keep assuming nobody is selling and everyone is diamond hands.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I would just be happy with a little squoze on PLTR

Sadly I think I gotta just bag hold my calls and hope the whole market turns around. Am glad I bailed on my SPY calls though.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Watching ES and SPY this morning got me feelin bad

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Everything took a nose dive this morning again.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
So is that what this technical analysis thing Ive heard so much about looks like in action?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
It looks like the stimulus bill is being held up in the House over the minimum wage hike. Im curious if that might be part of the current streak of red. If the stimulus is already priced into the current market, what happens if the bill fails or looks like it may fail? If the legislative log jam breaks up this afternoon and it passes Im curious what will happen.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

So is that what this technical analysis thing Ive heard so much about looks like in action?

Figure 1 – Bart Simpson Pattern on Price Chart

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
not the best week folks

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Elysium posted:

Figure 1 – Bart Simpson Pattern on Price Chart

This might seem like easy money but when charts go bart shaped you really get hosed over on the margins.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Does anyone here own AMZN? I'd like to buy in, but I'm just unsure if right now is the best time to do so.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Iirc rates are rising due to inflation fears. Fed is keeping rates low but mortgage rates are skyrocketing (they’re still low historically, but rising very fast).

Between this and the bond market tanking, and all of the weird volatility with GME and such, people are getting spooked.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Delist GME.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

Stock Trading Thread: In Bond Markets No One Can Hear You Scream

Stock Trading Thread: No Mr. Bond, I Expect You To Die.