Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
games is dum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

henpod posted:

I guess I can find out for myself, but is FF7 a good game? I'm not really into 'complicated' games with loads of skill trees, powerups, items and whatnot. I have never played a FF game before and they don't look like my cup of tea. BUT, as a game, is it good anyway? If you get what I mean.

It does have huge skill trees but the actual upgrades are pretty bland like "20% more magic damage" type stuff so you can mostly just determine if you want a character to be casting/tanking/whatever and just look for the skills that match up.

If I were to take a wild guess I would say it would be on the verge of what you'd want to put up with, maybe on the more technical side.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bradzilla posted:

is this the first time you've experienced capitalism? lol

I was replying to something specific, and "lol, capitalism" was pretty much my own point.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
FF7R is a perfectly OK video game with a good battle system and boring 2 dimensional characters and entirely too much anime grunting. The Night Market sequence is the high point of the game but pretty much everything after that sucks.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
on the face of it Returnal looks a lot like Doom X Dark souls (X control) which could be great but could also go horribly wrong

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

History Comes Inside! posted:

I don’t think it’s a ‘good’ thing but I don’t think it’s a ‘bad’ thing either. It’s just exactly what the service has always been, you’re still getting a game.

History Comes Inside! posted:

I don’t think it’s a ‘good’ thing but I don’t think it’s a ‘bad’ thing either. It’s just exactly what the service has always been, you’re still getting a game.

You're both right. I get the same feeling anytime they've given away a base version of a game that has a whole bunch of dlc as they're essentially providing me a demo of a full experience I can go buy later (provided I enjoy the game which is notably the goal and hope of all parties involved) but, as is often the case, it's an incredibly thorough demo with tons of hours of play which costs a premium price. Further, there are always additional eggs in the PS+ basket beyond any single title. It sucks but the reaction here is wanting cake and to eat it while we merely get to chow down this time and having the cake will cost us.

And I paid like $28 for my annual sub, I'm definitely coming out ahead lol

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

remember when we played games and only the weirdest dumbest nerds even had internet access to argue about them while they poop

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

me either

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

FF7R is an amazing game bogged down by certain sections that go on a little too long because the developers took a 10 hour section in the original and padded it to 40 hours.

That said, it’s free so...try it. For me, it’s a top 10 game of the decade, but I’m also a big fan of the original and action RPGs.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

cvnvcnv posted:

You're both right. I get the same feeling anytime they've given away a base version of a game that has a whole bunch of dlc as they're essentially providing me a demo of a full experience I can go buy later (provided I enjoy the game which is notably the goal and hope of all parties involved) but, as is often the case, it's an incredibly thorough demo with tons of hours of play which costs a premium price. Further, there are always additional eggs in the PS+ basket beyond any single title. It sucks but the reaction here is wanting cake and to eat it while we merely get to chow down this time and having the cake will cost us.

And I paid like $28 for my annual sub, I'm definitely coming out ahead lol
The longer you are on PS+ the value goes up as well. I've been subbed to PS+ for god knows how many years now and there have been plenty of times when I've picked out a game from what is now a catalogue hundreds of games long. The amount of games I've bought over the years has really slowed down and lots of that is down to the PS+ library, whether that's a good or bad thing I'm not sure.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Between enjoying control and goddawar my first year of psplus has already paid for itself. Hope the trend keeps up.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

henpod posted:

I guess I can find out for myself, but is FF7 a good game? I'm not really into 'complicated' games with loads of skill trees, powerups, items and whatnot. I have never played a FF game before and they don't look like my cup of tea. BUT, as a game, is it good anyway? If you get what I mean.

Maybe

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

that new game by the hyper light drifter devs looks really cool

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
I'm already confused by the ff7 versions. I bought it on ps4. You can upgrade that to the ps5 version for free then pay for the new dlc? But the ps+ version isn't eligible for the upgrade? That does seem unfair.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

PantsBandit posted:

It does have huge skill trees but the actual upgrades are pretty bland like "20% more magic damage" type stuff so you can mostly just determine if you want a character to be casting/tanking/whatever and just look for the skills that match up.

If I were to take a wild guess I would say it would be on the verge of what you'd want to put up with, maybe on the more technical side.

Point of order: You can set characters to manage their skill trees automatically, and set a priority for them, and then never interact with the overblown sword crystariums again. Amazing QoL gain.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

adamarama posted:

I'm already confused by the ff7 versions. I bought it on ps4. You can upgrade that to the ps5 version for free then pay for the new dlc? But the ps+ version isn't eligible for the upgrade? That does seem unfair.

The ps+ version is free I think. and you only own it as long as you pay for ps+?

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Augus posted:

it does look neat. the style kind of reminds me of risk of rain 2, which is funny because those devs also originally found success with a gamemaker 2d pixely action game and then moved to making a unity 3d action game

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

adamarama posted:

It's a free upgrade to the ps5 version if you already bought it. And if you got the game on ps+, the upgrade path to native ps5 will likely be a $20 DLC (although they have not named a price, there will be one).

It's not really unfair at all. They could have chosen to make everyone pay to update to the ps5 version. The way it'd done original owners get the upgrade free, non-owners get the base game free, everyone gets something and nobody feels short changed (except for people who somehow want everything for free)

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Rad Valtar posted:

How was it going to be the free PS5 game for this month when it doesn't come out until June? One of the games is a VR game so is doesn't seem that out of the ordinary to have 4 games.

Cos you need to keep up with internet rumours. :colbert:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

cubicle gangster posted:

It's a free upgrade to the ps5 version if you already bought it. And if you got the game on ps+, the upgrade path to native ps5 will likely be a $20 DLC (although they have not named a price, there will be one).

It's not really unfair at all. They could have chosen to make everyone pay to update to the ps5 version. The way it'd done original owners get the upgrade free, non-owners get the base game free, everyone gets something and nobody feels short changed (except for people who somehow want everything for free)

I want everything for free

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

JBP posted:

Let's not get too excited.

That deep dive was sending out the vibes, i dont make the rules

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I want everything for free

You're a fool if you don't

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Augus posted:

I became a lot more interested in it when I found out it was the HLD devs.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Remnant is a fantastic game to play co op. Me and my friend put like 200 hours into it.

Think Dark Souls and Diablo 2 smushed together with neat guns.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Fix posted:

Goddamn, Outriders is really, really bad.

I played a bit and got to the point where I got a second power, and I am enjoying it. I'm not "OMG This is the next best thing and will revolutionize gaming!!!" but it's a competent looter shooter like Division and Destiny had a cute little baby and the baby had lip-syncing animation problems.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Hell yes buying impulse buying ff7 remake yesterday after the showcase PAID OFF.

Sorry haters

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

True gamers have owned the game since launch. Early Adopters Stay Winning

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
so I own a copy of FF7R and haven't gotten around to playing it yet

Is the Yuffie stuff side content, or would I have to replay the entire game again in order to get at it? I'm trying to decide if I play now or wait

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

eonwe posted:

Is the Yuffie stuff side content, or would I have to replay the entire game again in order to get at it? I'm trying to decide if I play now or wait

it's probably gonna be side content you access from the main menu that is entirely separate from the main game, like the DLC Episodes in FFXV and KH3

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FF7R 1/3 of a full game :shrug:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

eonwe posted:

No one knows but they called it a new chapter and, in the normal game without it, the whole story is cut up into chapters that once you beat the game you can rejump into any at the start of. So one would assume, if it's not an entire separate thing like the FF15 dlc, you'll be able to jump into it after beating the game as like anything else in the game.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Augus posted:

it's probably gonna be side content you access from the main menu that is entirely separate from the main game, like the DLC Episodes in FFXV and KH3

excellent

speaking of, how is FFXV

and also, I have the Kingdom hearts All In One package, and I played the first hour of KH 1 and it was kinda painful. Does it end up picking up?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

elf help book posted:

No one knows but they called it a new chapter and, in the normal game without it, the whole story is cut up into chapters that once you beat the game you can rejump into any at the start of. So one would assume, if it's not an entire separate thing like the FF15 dlc, you'll be able to jump into it after beating the game as like anything else in the game.

thank you!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

eonwe posted:

It's probably side content, but the main game has a chapter select when you've beaten it once so even if they somehow integrate intergrade it into the main story you could still do it without a full replay (but they probably won't do that).

E:f;b

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

eonwe posted:

excellent

speaking of, how is FFXV

and also, I have the Kingdom hearts All In One package, and I played the first hour of KH 1 and it was kinda painful. Does it end up picking up?

KH1 is kinda short and simple compared to the rest. KH2 is when the combat gets really fun.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

eonwe posted:

speaking of, how is FFXV

There was a couple of pages of FFXV chat yesterday or day before. Trend seemed to be first half good, second half bad. I'm more in the "just stop playing when you get to the second half" camp.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

eonwe posted:

excellent

speaking of, how is FFXV

Imma keep it real with you chief, it does. But! I also played the poo poo out of Kingdom Hearts 1 as a kid and beat it multiple times. I loved that game. Combat wise, Kingdom Hearts 2 has a much better and almost perfect combat system. Its my guilty pleasure, I love this dumb series so much.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

True gamers have owned the game since launch. Early Adopters Stay Winning

I didn't own a PS4, late adopters (but early ps5 adopters) gang stay winning :smug:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
KH1 is old enough to vote. Forgive it, or blitz it on easy. KHII is the good poo poo

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

My cheaty tip for KH1: just follow a guide telling you where to go. It's easy to run in circles in Wonderland or Tarzan's level or Atlantica and feel like you're not getting anything done, and the cutscenes didn't tell you where to go anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

eonwe posted:

excellent

speaking of, how is FFXV

FFXV is an extremely mixed bag that is barely finished and falls off hard in the last third. It's fun while it lasts though.
KH1 and KH2 are known for having very slow introductions, it picks up once you get out of the tutorial area and start actually exploring worlds and fighting.
KH1 is pretty clunky though.