Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ff7r is the best ps+ game in the history of the service very funny to be mad it isnt the next-gen port with added content selling for $100 in japan when they're not even promising ps5 games at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Hey. Maquette. Cool.

Lumpy posted:

I played a bit and got to the point where I got a second power, and I am enjoying it. I'm not "OMG This is the next best thing and will revolutionize gaming!!!" but it's a competent looter shooter like Division and Destiny had a cute little baby and the baby had lip-syncing animation problems.

I got to the second power point and the whole thing seemed completely pointless. I was already only ever wading through combat with completely full health one-shotting everything in my way. I also had sound/animation become completely disassociated from each other.

And ugh. That story.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

FF7R 1/3 of a full game :shrug:

nah

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

FF7R 1/3 of a full game :shrug:

ff7 and ff7 remake are not the same thing. hope this helps

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

eonwe posted:

excellent

speaking of, how is FFXV

and also, I have the Kingdom hearts All In One package, and I played the first hour of KH 1 and it was kinda painful. Does it end up picking up?

KH1 is pretty dated but if you only played the first hour then that was probably just hunting down coconuts and poo poo. It does pick up but the first two games have slow starts.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

KH1 is a lot of fun but it's very slow to start and quite janky. The platforming in particular is not good

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I want everything for free

elf help book posted:

You're a fool if you don't

A great number of things can be gratis with no negative impact from a personal, inward-looking view of things but there's invaluable social utility in the exchange of one thing for another, a signing of the social contract, which would be terrible and shameful to abstain from, especially anything obtained in person. The download of a hideo fame is perhaps toward the very bottom of the list but all the same, a life where everything was free seems perverse in the worst kind of way.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
FFXV is paced in such a way that I spent 55 hours of my 60 hour playthrough questing on a road trip with my bros and then the entirety of the plot takes place and then the game ends very, very abruptly in a way which felt completely and totally divorced from the rest of the game. Apparently another 16 hours of DLC fixes this but honestly I’m over it, my PS5 isn’t big enough to keep 150 gbs of a game I’m so so on

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Just something I've heard people say, but didn't the development of FFXV run out of money in such a way that they literally put you a train after cutting out all the open world parts because they couldn't afford to finish that section?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Cardiovorax posted:

Just something I've heard people say, but didn't the development of FFXV run out of money in such a way that they literally put you a train after cutting out all the open world parts because they couldn't afford to finish that section?

Maybe? It's weird. You spend a bunch of time in a big open world area, and then for part of the plot you go to a different part of the world and ride the train and stop at a few places for like a big dungeon and such. It's almost like.... flying to Liberty City in GTA San Andreas? I doubt they ever planned to make an entire second open world map.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

elf help book posted:

Maybe? It's weird. You spend a bunch of time in a big open world area, and then for part of the plot you go to a different part of the world and ride the train and stop at a few places for like a big dungeon and such. It's almost like.... flying to Liberty City in GTA San Andreas? I doubt they ever planned to make an entire second open world map.

they did. it's possible to clip out of the train and see all the unfinished geography/landmarks on the areas you were riding through. some of it was later incorporated into prompto's DLC

FFXV is one of the most fascinating development stories of its generation. you can tell tabata and co. pulled out every trick in the book just to get something pressed to disc and out the door after years and years of delays

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The evil Niflheim empire continent is in the game, unfinished, and you can no clip to it on the PC version. It probably would have been cool to go there.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

elf help book posted:

I think it’s clear the developers meant for you to return to the big open world for a “World of Ruin” style return ala FFVI.

Which would have been really cool and interesting.

I mean you do return to the world, the world is in ruin, but you literally just drive through it on your way to the final confrontation.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

FF XV might’ve been a colossal mess with a really bad story campaign but gently caress me if I didn’t absolutely love running around the open world camping out, cooking meals, compiling a photo album, going on hunts and quests and dungeon crawls, discovering new RECIPEAS, and road tripping to final fantasy soundtracks.

Everything just worked for me, and I’ve played it to 100% completion on both console and PC

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

cvnvcnv posted:

A great number of things can be gratis with no negative impact from a personal, inward-looking view of things but there's invaluable social utility in the exchange of one thing for another, a signing of the social contract, which would be terrible and shameful to abstain from, especially anything obtained in person. The download of a hideo fame is perhaps toward the very bottom of the list but all the same, a life where everything was free seems perverse in the worst kind of way.

I'm not talking about the value of yards of linen compared to coats here. I just want free games

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Karl Marx failed to consider free video games

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Gee whiz you guys I’m starting to think games might be products that people make and then sell in exchange for money

Kinda hosed up if true

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My biggest complaint about FFXV really was just the world was very unrealistic. It was cool that it was so big, but this was done just because, it was very empty. The towns and people living in them didn't feel real or like they actually belonged in this world either, like you have these completely open towns and then right next to them is gigantic monsters that come out at night and smash everything. Yet everyone in the towns looks like a tourist that doesn't acknowledge how dangerous the world is.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

man nurse posted:

Gee whiz you guys I’m starting to think games might be products that people make and then sell in exchange for money

Kinda hosed up if true

The people who make them aren't the same as the people who sell them

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

ff7 and ff7 remake are not the same thing. hope this helps

I didn’t realize they changed the story.

Vietnom nom nom
Oct 24, 2000
Forum Veteran
Bloomberg (bolding mine):

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-02-26/sony-to-open-playstation-5-for-storage-upgrades-in-summer

quote:

Sony Corp. is preparing to open up its PlayStation 5 for internal storage upgrades this summer, lifting a bottleneck that prevents gamers from having more than a few marquee games on their console at one time, people briefed on the plan said.

Adding support for additional drives will be enabled with a firmware update that also unlocks higher cooling-fan speeds to ensure the console doesn’t overheat, the people said, asking not to be named because the plans are not yet public. The PlayStation 5 comes with a custom solid-state drive with around 667GB available for storing games, apps and media -- at a time when the latest Call of Duty game needs 133GB of installation space and most major titles take up at least 40GB each.

Sony’s latest console has a customized architecture that accelerates loading and processing times, but makes it impractical to plug in an external hard drive, the typical way gamers add storage. Such a drive can only be used for older PS4 games. After the planned firmware upgrade, players need only take a plastic cover off the PS5 and attach a new storage unit to address the current limitations.

“As previously announced, we are working to enable M.2 SSD storage expansion for PlayStation 5. The timing has not been announced and details will be shared later,” a Sony spokesman said.

The PlayStation 5 has been in high demand since its launch in November, with various supply chain and logistics issues preventing the Japanese electronics giant from delivering sufficient units. Constrained supply has also been a problem for rival Microsoft Corp., which warned its latest Xbox console generation is unlikely to see relief before June at the earliest.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Bust Rodd posted:

FFXV is paced in such a way that I spent 55 hours of my 60 hour playthrough questing on a road trip with my bros and then the entirety of the plot takes place and then the game ends very, very abruptly in a way which felt completely and totally divorced from the rest of the game. Apparently another 16 hours of DLC fixes this but honestly I’m over it, my PS5 isn’t big enough to keep 150 gbs of a game I’m so so on

This was my exact experience of it, including looking at the dlc after I finished and just being like nah I'm good.

E: although in my case change 55 hours to 12 hours. How the gently caress could you spend 60 hours on that game?!?

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Ha, once again the free week with COD doesn't have the PS5 version, only the PS4. The game doesn't seem to have evolved since the last 12 CODs on that same engine. Warzone engine is awesome but I am terrible at the game and everyone has eagle eyes and laser shooting powers.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Blitz through KH1 with a guide because it's old and the mechanics are archaic. I have a certain love for them but man replaying the first one is painful.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I never understood why people thought the first game was so painful. Its really not that bad.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

pumped up for school posted:

There was a couple of pages of FFXV chat yesterday or day before. Trend seemed to be first half good, second half bad. I'm more in the "just stop playing when you get to the second half" camp.

It's worth noting the 'second half' is about 6 hours long and the 'first half' is about 40 hours of real good poo poo.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

True gamers have owned the game since launch. Early Adopters Stay Winning

you are correct, entire game in here, no need to wait!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Vikar Jerome posted:

50Hz? No thank you

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

50Hz? No thank you

just means theres more hours in the game!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Best Buy success. 4th successful order!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

Nah man, for a game this great you have to unmount your Japanese limited edition from the wall.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

MarcusSA posted:

I didn’t realize they changed the story.

Not sure what side of the fence you're on here, but they did.
It takes an undercooked part of the first game and expands it into it's own standalone story which branches and slightly contradicts the original. Trying to think of a good comparison. Maybe the movie fargo vs the tv series?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

idk if anyone knows or even cares but I just read on Reddit that the PS+ version of FF7R will not have the PS5 upgrade, just FYI

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Casnorf posted:

remember when we played games and only the weirdest dumbest nerds even had internet access to argue about them while they poop

I mean the posting quality was about the same, according to late 80s Usenet posts about SNES vs Sega Genesis.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

FF7R is a weird case on its own. It almost expects you to have knowledge of the original for certain stuff to land.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

cubicle gangster posted:

Not sure what side of the fence you're on here, but they did.
It takes an undercooked part of the first game and expands it into it's own standalone story which branches and slightly contradicts the original. Trying to think of a good comparison. Maybe the movie fargo vs the tv series?

I guess that makes sense but it still leaves a bit of a bitter taste to break it up into 3 games(?). Also a poster up thread also said it’s been padded out so I dunno what to think.

I’m totally onboard with buying it but I’m not so down with paying for 3 games for it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Man ppl can play ff7 remake for free if they havent played it? That's fucken rad

acksplode
May 17, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

I guess that makes sense but it still leaves a bit of a bitter taste to break it up into 3 games(?). Also a poster up thread also said it’s been padded out so I dunno what to think.

I’m totally onboard with buying it but I’m not so down with paying for 3 games for it.

There's a little bit of padding toward the end, a couple dungeons and some optional sidequests that I didn't care for, but it's still a very full package. It feels like the first complete game in a planned series, not the first episode in a season. And the story and ending totally justify it, I'm much more interested in the rest of the series after playing it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Final Fantasy VII Remake is 100% a full length standalone game and doesn't feel padded. There was enough to flesh out with the Midgar section of FFVII to accomplish this readily. You absolutely wouldn't know it was incomplete or stopping short if you weren't already familiar with FFVII.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Cant decide if I should finish FF7 (about 1/4 through, started on my pro) or wait for all the PS5 updates