Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

enki42 posted:

I don't mean to pick on you for this, but I don't think the reasons for assigning someone to an in-group or out-group based on clothing are so explicit and surface level that it's completely fair to call people children for doing it. The clothes someone wears is going to add a ton of subconscious bias for or against the person, and thinking that the baseline behaviour for people is to be not biased unless you explicitly think "I won't hire people in suits" is the wrong way to go about it - you really do need to make a conscious effort to work against your preconceived notions and biases.

It's similar to the argument you hear a lot in tech hiring that a company's hiring processes are fair and not discriminatory because no one has explicitly said "let's not hire her because she's a woman" (or whatever underrepresented group you want to include here).
I think in context of what I responded to it's pretty fair response. I don't slight everyone for having unconscious biases; the person I responded to seems to have very conscious biases or at least their peer group does.

Edit: Also tech hiring is really terrible, toxic and full of people hiring people who look and act just like them. making GBS threads on applicants for daring to follow what's the cultural norm in interviews outside of this bubble just sits with me wrong.

Less Fat Luke fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Less Fat Luke posted:

I think in context of what I responded to it's pretty fair response. I don't slight everyone for having unconscious biases; the person I responded to seems to have very conscious biases or at least their peer group does.

Edit: Also tech hiring is really terrible, toxic and full of people hiring people who look and act just like them.making GBS threads on applicants for daring to follow what's the cultural norm in interviews outside of this bubble just sits with me wrong.

That's exactly what the person you were responding to was saying.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Ok? I'm on the east coast so it's not the same, but people interviewing in conservative business outfits for engineering jobs at my tech company absolutely happens. While I can't speak for other interviewers I'm not going to raise an eyebrow at someone deciding that it's better to come over dressed than under, just in case. It's been the same for everywhere I've worked.

Regional differences? :shrug:

Very much so. I grew up on the East Coast and I work for a tech company with it's Americas headquarters in Portland. During the interview, I showed up at a suit. Having a fair amount of grey hair, apparently I set off a major rumor storm. Everything from new VP for the region, to someone was suing us, or that I was a VC looking to buy us from the Japanese megacorp that owns us.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Random Integer posted:

That's exactly what the person you were responding to was saying.
Yeah I guess I mistook stating the status quo versus propagating it, my bad.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Yeah here's tech nightmare material:

https://kjzz.org/content/1660988/whistleblowers-software-bug-keeping-hundreds-inmates-arizona-prisons-beyond-release

Arizona state prisons replaced their tracking software, and it's bugged to hell, with direct consequences for inmates.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Lead out in cuffs posted:

https://kjzz.org/content/1660988/whistleblowers-software-bug-keeping-hundreds-inmates-arizona-prisons-beyond-release

Arizona state prisons replaced their tracking software, and it's bugged to hell, with direct consequences for inmates.

Arizona: :airquote: "Oooooops!" :airquote:

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
Alphabet ditches smart city plan in Portland one month after cancelling their internet balloons. And after cancelling vertical farming project and zeppelin cargo ship and buying and then promptly selling Boston Dynamics.

Almost as if "Tech" is mostly about finding use cases for the internet and the SV brain trust struggle whenever they stray from away that.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Owling Howl posted:

Alphabet ditches smart city plan in Portland one month after cancelling their internet balloons. And after cancelling vertical farming project and zeppelin cargo ship and buying and then promptly selling Boston Dynamics.

Almost as if "Tech" is mostly about finding use cases for the internet and the SV brain trust struggle whenever they stray from away that.

It's mainly been throwing a whole lot of spaghetti at the wall in the hopes that the strand that sticks will be worth Billions. These aren't completely meritless ideas; Loon was started 10 years before Starlink, when costs for satellite launch and usage would be prohibitive and DirectTV was already cratering to prove a concrete example. But, Starlink is going to be here soon, and likely at a price and position that would beat Loon, so no sense throwing good money after bad. There are certainly bad ideas but these weren't objectively bad ones at the time.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

PopZeus posted:

feeling a little crazy - was there a video that was very close-up of Elizabeth Holmes where she is creepily talking right into camera? google is failing me, or maybe i'm thinking of another tech person making a similar video?

edit: nvm found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXqJNcQOBm0

this is very clearly mark Zuckerberg in a wig and a much much deeper voice.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I have an idea: put the developers who made this software and the people who rushed its use in the prison. I'm sure solutions will appear almost instantly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Put the warden in the pen for false imprisonment.

They shouldn’t be allowed to hide behind “software error”. If the computer cannot let people out on time, do the books by hand.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

They shouldn’t be allowed to hide behind “software error”. If the computer cannot let people out on time, do the books by hand.

Yeah, a "software error" is just a failure to properly know the data.

If you lock the data in the virtual equivalent of the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard' you are still responsible for a failure to know that data, in the same way as you would be if you burned the books.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Platystemon posted:

It sounds like that's what they're doing, but they're not happy because there's a good chance they could gently caress up the hand calculations.

Also it doesn't sound like it was the devs' fault:

quote:

According to the sources, the entire inmate management software program, known as ACIS, has experienced more than 14,000 bugs since it was implemented in November of 2019.

“It was Thanksgiving weekend,” one source recalled. “We were killing ourselves working on it, but every person associated with the software rollout begged (Deputy Director) Profiri not to go live.”

But multiple sources involved in the rollout said they were instructed by department leadership to “not say a word” about their concerns. “We were told ‘We’re too deep into it — too much money had been spent — we can’t go back now.’”

And yeah, there are other parts of the software that are totally non functional, including tracking of inmate property and required medication. They're tracking all that on paper, but the quote in the article was "it's only a matter of time before someone dies."

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Generally speaking, you're not gonna find many developers who are well aware of how buggy their software is, going, "oh yeah just ship it, that's fine". It's almost always someone higher up in leadership who's like "gently caress it, I want that on-time delivery bonus".

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum

Cicero posted:

Generally speaking, you're not gonna find many developers who are well aware of how buggy their software is, going, "oh yeah just ship it, that's fine". It's almost always someone higher up in leadership who's like "gently caress it, I want that on-time delivery bonus".

This 100% matches my professional experience. It's also very funny to see the comments on the inevitable article covering cases like this that take the line "how did they not find these bugs?" or better yet: "this project was clearly lacking project managers". The bugs were known about, there were probably too many project managers directly responsible for too many decisions, and almost always, the issue comes down to commercial factors like delivery bonuses.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Nevada partners with big tech to bring back company towns: https://thedebrief.org/bill-allowing-big-tech-to-form-techno-governments-to-be-announced-today/

quote:

While the legislation wouldn’t provide subsidiaries or public funding, according to a draft of the Bill obtained by the Las Vegas Review-Journal, major technology firms would be granted authority to form their independent techno-governments within Nevada. “[They] would carry the same authority as a county, including the ability to impose taxes, form school districts and justice courts and provide government services, to name a few duties,” Las Vegas Review-Journal reports.

Having my employer in charge of my kid's school, the courts and by-law enforcement sounds like a bang-up idea, what could go wrong?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

enki42 posted:

Nevada partners with big tech to bring back company towns: https://thedebrief.org/bill-allowing-big-tech-to-form-techno-governments-to-be-announced-today/

Having my employer in charge of my kid's school, the courts and by-law enforcement sounds like a bang-up idea, what could go wrong?

Lmao this is more cyberpunk than cyberpunk 2077

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

quote:

Illustration shows Blockchains, LLC’s proposed “smart city” in rural northern Nevada. (Image Source: EYRC Architects/Blockchains LLC via AP)

Apparently that county is the coldest (on average) in Nevada, which could explain why all of the buildings look like giant greenhouses designed to bake their inhabitants. Luckily, there may not be enough curved glass to also focus sunlight enough to fry unlucky passersby.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

eXXon posted:

Apparently that county is the coldest (on average) in Nevada, which could explain why all of the buildings look like giant greenhouses designed to bake their inhabitants. Luckily, there may not be enough curved glass to also focus sunlight enough to fry unlucky passersby.

All that desert, and not a single solar panel on any of the roofs in that concept image... :retrogames:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

This is so techbros can live closer to Burning Man, isn't it?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

eXXon posted:

Everyone who saw the second season of Futureman knows where this is headed

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

This is so techbros can live closer to Burning Man, isn't it?

They're going to corporatize it; "Burning Man Theme Park, the Adult's entertainment sphere!"

"Because Las Vegas just isn't Libertarian enough!"

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Would certainly be enticing to companies like Apple that have to settle for armed security guards with no powers of arrest. Now their security could be sworn peace officers since I'm assuming "same power as a county" means they get their own sheriff and sheriff's department.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Would certainly be enticing to companies like Apple that have to settle for armed security guards with no powers of arrest. Now their security could be sworn peace officers since I'm assuming "same power as a county" means they get their own sheriff and sheriff's department.

"Corporate extraterritoriality" :commissar:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

OctaMurk posted:

Lmao this is more cyberpunk than cyberpunk 2077

As I've said to people on Twitter talking about this, I respect their dedication to turning the world into Shadowrun but wish they'd have started with creating elves.

It's such a top to bottom terrible idea it's hard to imagine how anyone supporting it could have any goal besides corporate sovereignty completely beyond the reach of nation states.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It's such a top to bottom terrible idea it's hard to imagine how anyone supporting it could have any goal besides corporate sovereignty completely beyond the reach of nation states.

They don't.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

The various East India Companies turned out fantastic for all parties involved. Why not do it again (but this time disrupted, or on the blockchain, or in the gig economy, etc)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Read "Why Did I Leave Google?" and was very, very glad not to have worked for this guy (Waze founder).

quote:

After the acquisition, I was invited to speak on many different Google panels and events and very quickly, I began racking up my HR complaints. I used a four letter word, my analogy was not PC, my language was not PG… I actually stopped speaking at events where the majority appreciated what I was saying but the minority that was offended by something (words and not content) made it a pain. I began watching what I said, what I discussed and began wearing a corporate persona (I was still probably one of the less PC characters at Google but this was my cleaned up act…). I value transparency and feel that people should bring themselves to work but that also means a certain tolerance of people not saying something exactly as you would like them to or believing something you don't. That tolerance is gone at Google and “words” > “content” is the new Silicon Valley mantra of political correctness. You can say terrible things as long as your pronouns are correct or can say super important things but use one wrong word and it's off to HR for you…
When I was growing up in Tech in the ‘90’s - there was no such thing as work life balance. We loved what we did and wanted to succeed so we worked like crazy to achieve great things. As I had kids, I learned the importance of being at home for them and that's how I understood Work Life balance - its a balance, sometimes you need to work weekends and nights or travel, sometimes you can head out early or work from home - we balance the needs of the employee and the company. Today, in Silicon Valley, work life balance has become sacrificing Work for Life - not a balance.
So "I kept saying things that offended other people, and somehow I was unable to stop because I'm not just that kind of guy."

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Read "Why Did I Leave Google?" and was very, very glad not to have worked for this guy (Waze founder).

So "I kept saying things that offended other people, and somehow I was unable to stop because I'm not just that kind of guy."

His whole "I want to just throw people out like garbage and Google wasn't like that" bit buried the needle on my Manager Brainworms Detector.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

TheScott2K posted:

His whole "I want to just throw people out like garbage and Google wasn't like that" bit buried the needle on my Manager Brainworms Detector.

Oh, yeah. To say nothing of "How dare these people not drop everything because I want to have a meeting!"

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Rule #1 of detecting rear end in a top hat leadership is people who view strategy offsites as some incredible amazing perk. Sure, parts of them can be fun, but that's more about the bribe necessary to pull you away from your life for multiple days of meetings without any compensation for it.

I've literally worked for a CEO who wanted to fire someone because he wanted to visit his out-of-state dying grandmother over going to our offsite.

Also I love the dichotomy between "I should be able to fire people whenever and treat employees 100% as fungible resources" with "my employees should be passionate about the mission and work weekends / give up their life"

enki42 fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 3, 2021

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
When I was 22 and coding on a crumpled sheet in the corner of my bedroom office, fueled by McDonald's, cheetos and mountain down, it was fun.

Now we have employees with perks and they whine about working 35/8 on a beautiful campus with Tesla chargers, a cereal bar, VR gym and showers!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

quote:

work life balance has become sacrificing Work for Life [/quote

gently caress you so hard for this poo poo.

Edit: looking at the thread here https://twitter.com/noam/status/1362019763464118272?s=21

I really shouldn’t be surprised how many tech bros are just lining up to lick his rear end in a top hat clean. For all the “we’re superior, independent thinkers” out there, a whole lot of folks just eager and ready to sign up for whatever the richest person in the room says.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 3, 2021

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

gently caress you so hard for this poo poo.

Edit: looking at the thread here https://twitter.com/noam/status/1362019763464118272?s=21

I really shouldn’t be surprised how many tech bros are just lining up to lick his rear end in a top hat clean. For all the “we’re superior, independent thinkers” out there, a whole lot of folks just eager and ready to sign up for whatever the richest person in the room says.

I think Twitter followers are just aspecual kind of brainwashed. Even most of the responses on HN we're about how this guy sounds like a huge rear end in a top hat to work for.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Jose Valasquez posted:

I think Twitter followers are just aspecual kind of brainwashed. Even most of the responses on HN we're about how this guy sounds like a huge rear end in a top hat to work for.

Sorry, what did you mean by "HN"?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Solkanar512 posted:

Sorry, what did you mean by "HN"?

Hacker News - https://news.ycombinator.com/

Paul Graham's sycophant club

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Less Fat Luke posted:

Hacker News - https://news.ycombinator.com/

Paul Graham's sycophant club

Why hasn’t that guy just hosed off yet? Ugh. Someone needs to bring back ValleyWag and hosed Company.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Because YCombinator has become some sort of SV self-fulfilling prophecy, where it doesn't matter how lovely your company is, if it was in YCombinator it's just guaranteed to get millions in an A round.

I don't even think there's been all that many successes from YC since the early days, but boy oh boy Paul Graham will say AirBnB a lot if you ever question him on YCombinators performance.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

I really wish there was a good Hacker News alternative out there.

As a news/blog aggregator, it's the only one that I know of that hits just the right level of technical depth and news coverage for me, but the comment sections are some of the worst out there. To make matters worse, there's regularly some insightful information by actual knowledgeable people to complement/counteract whatever is posted. I keep glancing at that drat techbro cesspit because there's a 50/50 chance of it being either worthwhile or infuriating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

enki42 posted:

Also I love the dichotomy between "I should be able to fire people whenever and treat employees 100% as fungible resources" with "my employees should be passionate about the mission and work weekends / give up their life"
"Why are you asking for a raise for one one your (long term, stellar) subordinates if we can just replace them?"