Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
I'm currently at the office for a week then WFH the next week and I don't mind because a lot of my work needs a physical presence so being able to actually close tickets is nice.

Also my husband appreciates me being out of the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NapalmWeasel
Aug 10, 2012

Play posted:

I live like a block from my office so I really don't mind going in again. Right now I'm wfh one day a week and I never get anything done on that day so it's probably for the best. Office is pretty spacious so I don't feel that threatened

I'm about 15 minutes from mine. Most of our staff are remote, but everyone who's local has their own office. I'm the only one who goes in regularly to check the mail and rotate backup drives. Even in The Before Times, most of our on-site staff did a decent amount of WFH anyway. Hooray for being a small tech company.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Volmarias posted:

:psyduck:

I haven't had to worry about this since using Google Docs, since it natively handles multiple edits and version history. If you can't use a web tool like that, I'm sure you've got some SharePoint instance you can use. It's got atomic locking, I know, but it's better than nothing. If you don't have SharePoint:

- If you're at least a little tech savvy, along with everyone who would touch that doc, you might want to consider using version control software.

- If not, you don't have much of a choice but to do filename-based time-stamping. If you're making multiple edits a day, add the hour + minute to the timestamp. You can, of course, also search by the last modified timestamp, assuming you don't touch anything in the file and auto save.

Yeah no. Some of the people I deal with still can't understand Zoom is both an actual program and also a web application. As in cannot wrap their head around this concept.

Sequential numbering is probably a stretch. Anything other than emailing files back and forth isn't going to happen.

Internally my team uses Drive. It's not great but it's straightforward and understandable and our budget for improving things is exactly $0.00.

Also google docs and sheets suck rear end because the second some mac user opens the file all the formatting seems to go to poo poo. Google online apps are great for collaborative stuff but trying to do final versions with bibliographies and poo poo is a nightmare.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

We had a meeting to decide which shared network drive we would use to store files for an upcoming project, as a director thought using the P:Drive was low status as P is far back in the alphabet. So I needed to explain why the A:Drive was not an option. Then why the B:Drive wouldn't work... then the C:Drive...

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i worked for a client once that had developed an internal tasking/project/time management system whose sole purpose, i determined after a month there, was to allow him to micromanage dozens of employees by himself. literally no other purpose. the kind of guy that would send you 40 questions in a document, you'd painstakingly respond, in a different color and size of font, to each one, inline, and then he'd get on a call and yell at you because he doesn't want you to give him homework (in the form of reading a document to prepare for a meeting)

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Hyrax Attack! posted:

We had a meeting to decide which shared network drive we would use to store files for an upcoming project, as a director thought using the P:Drive was low status as P is far back in the alphabet. So I needed to explain why the A:Drive was not an option. Then why the B:Drive wouldn't work... then the C:Drive...

Funny enough, our company files are all on P. I don't know why, it predates me by quite a bit.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

poisonpill posted:

Anyone else here have some boomer bosses that whip themselves up into a frenzy about WFH andhow we need to get back into the office every few weeks?

My boss isn't OLD, old but he could retire and really hated WFH when we switched. He still goes in to the office, alone, just for a change of pace even though he's not supposed to.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

We're getting inundated with optional DEI and wellness seminars lately (all via Zoom). I assume this is common everywhere right now, but I had to share this one from a neighboring department. It's for dealing with workplace crises (how to help clients/coworkers who are dealing with emotional distress, suicidal ideation, panic attacks, and potential domestic abuse), which is fine I guess. Typical seminar. But it's two hours on Saturday, and it costs the attendee $25. They want you to pay them money to work overtime on the weekend so that you can personally address workplace issues. Someone else must have thought this was ridiculous, because now the department's offering to pay for it lol.

KonMari DeathMetal
Dec 20, 2009
Employing me.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Fitzy Fitz posted:

We're getting inundated with optional DEI and wellness seminars lately (all via Zoom). I assume this is common everywhere right now, but I had to share this one from a neighboring department. It's for dealing with workplace crises (how to help clients/coworkers who are dealing with emotional distress, suicidal ideation, panic attacks, and potential domestic abuse), which is fine I guess. Typical seminar. But it's two hours on Saturday, and it costs the attendee $25. They want you to pay them money to work overtime on the weekend so that you can personally address workplace issues. Someone else must have thought this was ridiculous, because now the department's offering to pay for it lol.

Lol! Yes, I will pay to come to work on a Saturday, thank you for this opertunity!

KonMari DeathMetal
Dec 20, 2009
But really I am enjoying the stories and feel much better about the banality of my office life.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

COVID vaccine policy came out. Hourly employees get a $30 incentive in their next paycheck upon providing proof of vaccination.

Salary employees get a charity donation made in their name instead.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

SkyeAuroline posted:

COVID vaccine policy came out. Hourly employees get a $30 incentive in their next paycheck upon providing proof of vaccination.

Do salaried employees at least get the donation tax receipt?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I have a feeling my works just gonna keep the “work from home or in the office whenever you want” going forward which is pretty bad rear end. At least, there’s been no pressure even tho they’re lightening other things up. I still go in once a week or so cause i usually have to ship stuff or grab things sent to me and it’s nice being like the only person in there and dipping out after like two hours.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Outrail posted:

Do salaried employees at least get the donation tax receipt?

No. On review it's not even in their name. Just a donation.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

SkyeAuroline posted:

At my work we got 50 points for proof of vaccination

Been there three years and I’m still trying to figure out what the points are for

E: OnShift tells me I have 85 points right now

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Ziv Zulander posted:

At my work we got 50 points for proof of vaccination

Been there three years and I’m still trying to figure out what the points are for

E: OnShift tells me I have 85 points right now

Ooooo, points! It's like dollars except completely useless!!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
At least my work hands out vouchers redeemable at a variety of places that are steadily going out of business.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I got a request from a client's CEO's (who is about 60 years old) personal assistant.

Who for some unrelated reason is a very fit and attractive 20 year old but not very sharp girl.

His email and stock apps don't work right on his phone (it's in an industry and place where pump and dump stuff is huge, so buddy is watching his companies and bets all day to see what he can pull off).

I explain that I could just talk him through it pretty quick on the phone, but "oh, no, he doesn't want to talk, we need you to come here."

So I have to go to the loving marina, get buzzed in, and get onto his loving luxury yacht (not like mega yacht, but "could buy you a condo" level), as he is being a rude dumb prick and spend 5 minutes just setting poo poo up with the basic settings. Nothing was broken.

Very good use of everyone's time and money.

I'm actually switching out of IT, it's driving me crazy. Want to do something useful even if it's for less pay. I'll miss my crow friends though.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

goatface posted:

At least my work hands out vouchers redeemable at a variety of places that are steadily going out of business.

In addition to the points we also get lark bucks, supposedly redeemable for snacks in the boss’s office. Everybody got two lark bucks for the first time in a long while the other day. Like always, I gave mine to one of the residents with dementia. A few months ago we all got scratch offs during one of the staff meetings too.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Nothing like sitting down with the boss to eat some cheez it’s. Why do I stay here? The little thins like that.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

The Butcher posted:

I'm actually switching out of IT, it's driving me crazy. Want to do something useful even if it's for less pay. I'll miss my crow friends though.

Leave a trail of peanuts so they know where to find you.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

My work have setup a 'covid secure work environment' where every single person on the entire floor is forced to walk via a one-way system right in front of my desk.

Everyone has to still turn up at the same time at 8:45am on the dot then maintain social distancing on an office building with a single stairwell for 100 people. Takes about 15 minutes for the queues to die down every morning, then you get a dressing down for being late to your desk.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Tetramin posted:

Nothing like sitting down with the boss to eat some cheez it’s. Why do I stay here? The little thins like that.

Sometimes I go into my other boss’s office and tell her I’m stealing all your candy, then I just grab a big handful from the bowl and leave. The other day she had a bunch of Lindt chocolate in there that she said was given to her as a bribe by some hospice representative

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

SkyeAuroline posted:

No. On review it's not even in their name. Just a donation.

:chloe:

So if you get vaccinated they'll make a donation and get a tax deduction?

So basically, holding a charity hostage.

The gently caress.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Love to get infected with things because rich boomers need to feel a tiny modicum of control over their work slaves.

Just loving retire already you ghouls. There are more humane, effective and profitable ways to do things.

Sell your stake, take your yacht, go to Florida (already had one owner of the company do this), stay there until you are unable to go to the bathroom yourself, then go to the old folks warehouse and wait for death.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Outrail posted:

:chloe:

So if you get vaccinated they'll make a donation and get a tax deduction?

So basically, holding a charity hostage.

The gently caress.

Business as usual. God forbid the salaried people get a cent over their salary.
(I'm not one of them but still, short end of the stick on this one much?)

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Play posted:

Ooooo, points! It's like dollars except completely useless!!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I would be totally fine if my job was "drive around the city doing meaningless bullshit" so long as it's easy and not degrading.

I like driving, don't mind traffic and would be fine if it wasn't getting in the way of an office portion of the job.
Maybe short haul trucking? gently caress, I dunno but being an office drone sucks poo poo.

My absolute favorite job was a sort of jack of all trades for a hotel. I didn't have a defined role but because I'm decently smart and adaptable they just let me chill and solve issues as they came up. If I had to spend two hours on one guest to get them exactly what they wanted, my boss was cool.
Better to have one guest extremely happy that a hundred sorta kinda happy because we got them a diet coke a little faster than expected.

Edit: That makes me sound like a gigolo, haha. Dick game way too lovely for that.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

One of the best jobs I've ever had was being a student garbageman at uni. It was gross and smelly but really chill and predictable. We could take whatever we wanted and would always end up with clothes, booze, mini-fridges, non-perishable food, etc during move outs. We would do fun things like break reject ceramics in a pile, dump barrels of compost juice in the woods, and drive places no one else could

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

cynic posted:

My work have setup a 'covid secure work environment' where every single person on the entire floor is forced to walk via a one-way system right in front of my desk.

Everyone has to still turn up at the same time at 8:45am on the dot then maintain social distancing on an office building with a single stairwell for 100 people. Takes about 15 minutes for the queues to die down every morning, then you get a dressing down for being late to your desk.

My state is covid-free and we don't have to go through the IR cameras and show our "pass" on our phones anymore but they have still disabled all but two turnstiles for "reasons" so what actually happens of course is that you spend more time in close proximity to other people than if they just loving enabled them all.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Inzombiac posted:

My boss isn't OLD, old but he could retire and really hated WFH when we switched. He still goes in to the office, alone, just for a change of pace even though he's not supposed to.

It's because he hates his spouse, OP

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
There's a growing campaign at my work to try and get people back in the office, which sucks because the only real problem is that the business hasn't really picked an instant messaging service, and even the people using slack often take hours to respond.

You're going to ruin it for everyone!

This place is still a thousand times more relaxed about everything than the last one though so I don't really care

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

It's fascinating to read this thread about real software developers using Agile and it having a positive impact. I'm not in advertising but in a non-tech role and we've gone whole hog with Agile. And Scrum. And Kanban. And now we're Scrumban (someone in another thread assured me that was real.) All moving towards "Activation" that is going to change everything but I cannot find a coherent explanation of what that will be. Sure is a good excuse to give consultants millions of dollars and keep our management in meetings every minute of the day.

For things where you define projects and iterate on them and deliver continuous support Agile makes sense to carve this process into achievable, purposeful chunks. If your work does not come in at a pace, goes out rapidly with numerous small tasks that change daily that you can't control timing on, things don't ladder up into a product whole, have a method of objective versus qualitative or other kpi scoring, and you don't require or cannot have an ongoing scope adjustment to manage creep it doesn't make any sense* because it can't manage that properly because it was never supposed to.

They installed Jira for my business world wide and the thing is used solely to submit tasks that previously went directly to the teams working on them but now go through Jira to... route them to the exact same people as before. Absolutely nothing has been gained and it takes longer and everyone has to check an additional system that is used for this one task and nothing else, but JIRA!!!

Edit: Im the only person in my 400 person office who knows how to grant new people access to Jira. I plan on taking that info with me when I leave.

*Consultants getting paid millions does make sense, obviously. They're rich now!

Barudak fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Feb 27, 2021

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Our office covid approach was to close all but one entrance/exit to jam people together and to start randomly assigning desks on arrival.

You can nuggets of sense in what they've done but definitely makes things more risky. Thankfully the staff all, more or less anyway, agreed to only go in when they need to work in the labs. You get a few of the oldies who shamble in each day to sit at a new deal and massively increase their chance of death because they can't face being at home with their spouse.

Annoyingly I have stuff on my desk that I occasionally need (we have no stores really, so it's a mess everywhere) when I'm in and it's been a bit of a struggle to convince whoever is squatting to move while I collect it

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Mojo Jojo posted:

You get a few of the oldies who shamble in each day to sit at a new deal and massively increase their chance of death because they can't face being at home with their spouse.

Still amazing to me how pervasive this is among older workers. I think plenty of them even have decent relationships with their spouses. They've just fully internalized the moral goodness of being at work.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Inzombiac posted:

I would be totally fine if my job was "drive around the city doing meaningless bullshit" so long as it's easy and not degrading.

I like driving, don't mind traffic and would be fine if it wasn't getting in the way of an office portion of the job.
Maybe short haul trucking? gently caress, I dunno but being an office drone sucks poo poo.

Have you considered working for Conrad’s? It’s literally moving tires around your city from one store to another, to make numbers look better.

I’m soon returning to my old job, but now as an office drone. It’s a very schizophrenic place. They really want to keep the workers happy, but they pay them poo poo. They do stuff like run around with a popsicle cart on a hot day, or buy everyone in the company smoothies. Then they act confused when the $10/hr workers don’t show up half the time.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Barudak posted:

For things where you define projects and iterate on them and deliver continuous support Agile makes sense to carve this process into achievable, purposeful chunks. If your work does not come in at a pace, goes out rapidly with numerous small tasks that change daily that you can't control timing on, things don't ladder up into a product whole, have a method of objective versus qualitative or other kpi scoring, and you don't require or cannot have an ongoing scope adjustment to manage creep it doesn't make any sense* because it can't manage that properly because it was never supposed to.

You didn't touch on Stakeholder feedback either. Rather than finding out at the very end of a project that your assumptions are wrong, when everything has baked and other parts now depends on how this particular thing works, you can make the relevant changes early on. You can also manage schizophrenic decision making by saying that change requests are only worked on in the sprint after they've been made.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Mojo Jojo posted:

Annoyingly I have stuff on my desk that I occasionally need (we have no stores really, so it's a mess everywhere) when I'm in and it's been a bit of a struggle to convince whoever is squatting to move while I collect it

Open plan non-assigned hotdesking is bullshit. I worked in an office that had like 50% of the desks needed, so each team would get desks and assign them. It was assumed enough people would be out of office that stragglers could find a place.

As a someone who hated my job already and is terrified of people I loved scrounging around the office for a half hour each day asking people if the empty desk next to them was up for grabs, only for joe random to show up at 930 to get angry and yell at me for taking their desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

ilmucche posted:

Open plan non-assigned hotdesking is bullshit. I worked in an office that had like 50% of the desks needed, so each team would get desks and assign them. It was assumed enough people would be out of office that stragglers could find a place.

As a someone who hated my job already and is terrified of people I loved scrounging around the office for a half hour each day asking people if the empty desk next to them was up for grabs, only for joe random to show up at 930 to get angry and yell at me for taking their desk.

Hot desking at any job that isn’t like, a call center is obscene.