Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost of RBG
Sep 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

How are u posted:

Sure. I was in Bolivia in 2016 doing aid work while Evo was trying to get his constituional amendment passed to let him do the extra term. Bolivians were talking about it constantly, and there were very mixed feelings. Undoubtedly the guy has done immense good for Bolivia, but people were really wary about his growing authoritarian tendency.

This was in cocha, not santa cruz or something. working people and students.

I thought Evo was loving great for a long time. But he's a man, and men are fallible, and we shouldn't put men on pedestals. I don't think the coup was right or justified, but i also don't think evo was justified in grabbing for more power pre-coup rather than stepping aside and enthusiastically supporting a good successor.

I'm enormously glad that the coup failed and that the people of Bolivia still have a democratic government.

You voted for a genocidal rapist, you loving turd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
"barreling toward the nomination" :lmao:

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Shipon posted:

I paid the legal maximum to this campaign out of the money I got from my mom dying of cancer because she was uninsured ahahahha gently caress me

I want to post lol owned, but what you described here would have destroyed me personally.

Bernie panders

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

How are u posted:

Sure. I was in Bolivia in 2016 doing aid work while Evo was trying to get his constituional amendment passed to let him do the extra term. Bolivians were talking about it constantly, and there were very mixed feelings. Undoubtedly the guy has done immense good for Bolivia, but people were really wary about his growing authoritarian tendency.

I thought Evo was loving great for a long time. But he's a man, and men are fallible, and we shouldn't put men on pedestals. I don't think the coup was right or justified, but i also don't think evo was justified in grabbing for more power pre-coup rather than stepping aside and enthusiastically supporting a good successor.

I'm enormously glad that the coup failed and that the people of Bolivia still have a democratic government.

Bolivia seems like a beautiful country full of interesting people. I would love to visit.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

im not sure whats funnier, him not backing joe or him supporting the worst candidate of that group

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

uber_stoat posted:

"barreling toward the nomination" :lmao:

same planet, different universe

quote:

But despite his affinity for the South Bend mayor, he rattled off a list of reasons why Buttigieg couldn’t win. “He’s thirty- eight,” Obama said, pausing for dramatic effect, “but he looks thirty.” The audience laughed. Obama was on a roll, using the tone of light ridicule he some-times pointed at himself— “ big ears” and “a funny name,” he’d said so many times before. Now, it was directed at Buttigieg. “He’s the mayor of a small town,” the former president continued. “He’s gay,” Obama said, “and he’s short.” More laughter.

Only months earlier, Buttigieg had sat in Obama’s postpresidential office in Washington seeking counsel on how to maintain equanimity in the face of homophobia on the campaign trail. Now, behind his back, Obama was riffing on him to some of the wealthiest Black men in America at a time when Buttigieg had been dubbed “Mayo Pete” by critics who believed he couldn’t connect with African American voters.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

yeah during my geological surveying job in bolivia everyone at the office was just so mad at evo for being a tyrant

really made me worry for the country

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

bedpan posted:

same planet, different universe

this sounds like how Bernie get accused of misogyny for allegedly saying Warren it'd be hard for her to win because she's a woman, except Obama has immunity

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I'm really concerned about the leftist to fascist pipeline. It begins by not even liking democrats.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

galenanorth posted:

this sounds like how Bernie get accused of misogyny for allegedly saying Warren it'd be hard for her to win because she's a woman, except Obama has immunity

a lot of the same people who got mad at Bernie for saying that thing he probably didn't actually say also repeatedly claimed that HRC only lost because she was a woman

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

How are u posted:

I was in Bolivia in 2016 doing aid work

Holy gently caress.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

How are u posted:

Man, I don't really know who you are or why people make the sign of the cross and hiss when you come near, but I feel like a more specific answer than "Alas, but man is mortal" to the question of just what was bad about Morales was expected.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Dixon Chisholm posted:

I want to post lol owned, but what you described here would have destroyed me personally.

Bernie panders

I gave the legal max and volunteered a bunch and I'm mostly angry I persisted in participating in the democratic party electoral process past 2016 when I knew it was rigged. It's hard to let go of the dream of fixing this shithole nation, hard to admit that the forces arrayed against you, all of which rely on immense suffering, have been in place and entrenched long before you were even born.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020
gently caress bernie, goddamn

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

loquacius posted:

a lot of the same people who got mad at Bernie for saying that thing he probably didn't actually say also repeatedly claimed that HRC only lost because she was a woman

To the extent that he did say something like that, like saying that her being a woman would make her race an uphill climb, it's a) something they've been screaming about nonstop for the past 4 years and b) probably true and that it's a reason to come up with a compelling campaign that people will overlook that factor for

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Strep Vote posted:

I gave the legal max and volunteered a bunch and I'm mostly angry I persisted in participating in the democratic party electoral process past 2016 when I knew it was rigged. It's hard to let go of the dream of fixing this shithole nation, hard to admit that the forces arrayed against you, all of which rely on immense suffering, have been in place and entrenched long before you were even born.

I laughed at the maoist third-worldists in the LF days but drat if I don't see where they were coming from these days

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

finding it harder to rationalize dogmatically opposing authoritarianism and being mad at democrats for being a bunch of rulefollowing pussies

healthcare/stimulus/wages/housing pls, someone, anyone, any means necessary

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

I read it. YES WE 🐍

"The biggest obstacle to her success, it seemed, was convincing the establishment that she was truly different from Bernie, enough of a mainstream politician to be trusted with the reins of government. Now Obama was making that case for her."

lmfao
lmfao
lmfao
lmfao
lmfao
lmfao
lmfao
lmfao
lmfao
lmfao
lmfao
lmfao
lmfao
lmfao
lmfao
lmfao
lmfao
lmfao

tiberion02 has issued a correction as of 21:25 on Feb 26, 2021

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

docbeard posted:

Man, I don't really know who you are or why people make the sign of the cross and hiss when you come near, but I feel like a more specific answer than "Alas, but man is mortal" to the question of just what was bad about Morales was expected.

it really boils down to "evo did the same rules lawyering mitch mcconnell does to stand for reelection, which he then won legitimately anyway"

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

How are u posted:

You actively and aggressively support a rapist

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dixon Chisholm posted:

I remember you posting once about how you were incredibly depressed, maybe even suicidal, because you had so little hope for the future. If that's the case, you should probably stop coming into cspam to start poo poo. I've seen you pinch off stinkers in about 4 threads now. That kind of antagonism can't be good for your mental health

Some people weirdly double-down on support of institutions in response to feelings of helplessness.

I think it largely comes down to an emotional need to feel like you can rely on people/institutions with power. So with regard to something like US talking points about Evo Morales, How Are U needs to think there's some validity to them, because the alternative (that it was always done with ill-intent) is unacceptable. Even if you disagree with what US government/media say, there must be something worthwhile and substantive to it, because the alternative is understanding that you have no friends in places of power.

docbeard posted:

A while back he posted a screenshot in some Discord bragging about having almost everyone in the General Election thread on ignore (which is about the most direct evidence of bad faith possible). In said thread he would mostly just post things like "I'm looking forward to accomplishing progressive goals under Biden :)" and said screenshot was essentially just confirming that he was obviously trying to rile people up.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah that objection essentially boils down to "Evo used the machinery of his country's democracy too successfully" as far as I can tell, which isn't interesting enough to merit further discussion IMO so let's get back to the succ (this means you too how are u)

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

everyone is being very unfair to known bernie supporter how are u, but he's doing the real work of pushing the thread left with every post

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

loquacius posted:

Yeah that objection essentially boils down to "Evo used the machinery of his country's democracy too successfully" as far as I can tell, which isn't interesting enough to merit further discussion IMO so let's get back to the succ (this means you too how are u)

the actual appeal that got term limits overturned is pretty hilarious because it was evo and his party saying "hey this human rights treaty we signed 40 years ago says i can run as many times as i want" and the court going "well son of a bitch we did sign this treaty and make it law"

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

cspam must return to the greek origins of democracy and institute the practice of ostrakismos. i'll start breaking the pottery

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

How are u posted:

I was in Bolivia in 2016 doing aid work

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

What aid organization did you work for

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

loquacius posted:

It is kinda hosed up that the easiest way to post an image to SA is actually to post it to Twitter and link the tweet

Imgur makes you watch ads to upload now and doesn't handle sizing automatically

Use imgbb instead

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
seeing dems and Biden deliver nothing, and immediately choosing to double down in criticism for minority journalists and leftists in general.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/maxwelltani/status/1365398334651977733

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

this is a very good method to means testing out fake news outlets.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1365388777976397828?s=20

oh well

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

loquacius posted:

Yeah that objection essentially boils down to "Evo used the machinery of his country's democracy too successfully" as far as I can tell, which isn't interesting enough to merit further discussion

It does actually make sense though, and confirms my longstanding theory that (some) liberals want a clockwork universe where The Rules are more like laws of physics, self-enforcing and inviolate, and that breaking The Rules is not just wrong, it's absolutely impossible and Republicans are guilty of witchcraft, basically.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

schools though, schools are totes fine to open up

before anyone has received vaccinations

a condition which definitely applies to key WH personnel

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/UsaAficionado/status/1365108439794536449

"don't demonize the person who unilaterally blocked a sorely-needed minimum wage hike, but do demonize a journalist who showed a tweet to a senator"

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

why? there's no evidence that white house briefings are significant drivers of community spread

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

love to get paid $171,000 a year to interpret the rules that we made up ourselves and can change whenever

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Yeah I was in Bolivia in 2016 working for a little outfit called USAID, you've probably never heard of them.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1365402203343773708?s=19

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

docbeard posted:

It does actually make sense though, and confirms my longstanding theory that (some) liberals want a clockwork universe where The Rules are more like laws of physics, self-enforcing and inviolate, and that breaking The Rules is not just wrong, it's absolutely impossible and Republicans are guilty of witchcraft, basically.

ive not thought about this phenomena quite like this before but you are right. capitalist ideology sees the economy and politics as perfect, clockwork systems operated by relentlessly rational managers.