Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

acksplode posted:

There's a little bit of padding toward the end, a couple dungeons and some optional sidequests that I didn't care for, but it's still a very full package. It feels like the first complete game in a planned series, not the first episode in a season. And the story and ending totally justify it, I'm much more interested in the rest of the series after playing it.

Ok fair enough.

I’ll pick it up when the PS5 version comes out.

If I get the PS4 physical ed it has that $10 upgrade path right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

univbee posted:

I mean the posting quality was about the same, according to late 80s Usenet posts about SNES vs Sega Genesis.

oh it was much much worse says the guy who was actually there what you can get these days is the sanitized version im just making fun because in 1992 i could not have dreamed of literal poo poo posting and yet for that post man how times change

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

MarcusSA posted:

Ok fair enough.

Any paid PS4 copy will upgrade free to the PS5 version when it launches in June. The Yuffie DLC episode will be a separate purchase, unknown price so far.

The PS+ free version of PS4 FF7R will NOT get a free upgrade to the PS5 version.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Ok fair enough.

Upgrade is free, but the Yuffie DLC will cost money (likely $20).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok thanks everyone. I’m gonna keep an eye out for a cheap copy.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

MarcusSA posted:

I guess that makes sense but it still leaves a bit of a bitter taste to break it up into 3 games(?). Also a poster up thread also said it’s been padded out so I dunno what to think.

I’m totally onboard with buying it but I’m not so down with paying for 3 games for it.

There will be an overarching story happening which sort of matches the plot of the first game, but the real story moments are much smaller self contained vignettes within the world. I think the yuffie DLC is a good example of where they're going to go with future installments - she's the same character, but there's a full on plot and narrative arc of her in midgar long before she shows up in the main story.

If you're only in it to kill sephiroth and skip all the dialogue then you're going to think it's poo poo, yeah. For me it's more like finding out a movie I loved has a huge budget prestige HBO series which adds new layers & backstories to build on the original.

Goons think any game with a bit they find boring is padded. I loved doing all the random side quests and poking around. Being able to explore midgar in that level of detail and wander around the towns in the slums is such a wonderful experience.
There's a dungeon towards the end that takes about 90 minutes to get through and could have been half hour shorter. not a big deal IMO. The idea that turning a 6 hour section of the first game into a fully fleshed out 40 hour standalone thing is 'padding' is ludicrous.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
broke - spending 70 quid on new ps5 games.

woke - spending 70 quid on repro romhack n64 games

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

MarcusSA posted:

Ok thanks everyone. I’m gonna keep an eye out for a cheap copy.

It's $30 on Amazon right now.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

univbee posted:

Nah man, for a game this great you have to unmount your Japanese limited edition from the wall.

:eyepop:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

I guess that makes sense but it still leaves a bit of a bitter taste to break it up into 3 games(?). Also a poster up thread also said it’s been padded out so I dunno what to think.

I’m totally onboard with buying it but I’m not so down with paying for 3 games for it.

spoilers but ff7r is actually a sequel to ff7 on the ps1

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rad Valtar posted:

It's $30 on Amazon right now.

Bought! Thanks!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Papercut posted:

This was my exact experience of it, including looking at the dlc after I finished and just being like nah I'm good.

E: although in my case change 55 hours to 12 hours. How the gently caress could you spend 60 hours on that game?!?

I did literally every single hunt and side quest hoping at some point something really special or cool would happen

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Man if we hadn't known about the PS5 upgrade I'd have been elated, but now there's a bit of a bad taste. Funny how all that's changed is the context, not the game itself.

Still, I'd expect more and better ffvii sales going forward, since that happens to most PS+ games.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I mean it’s a game I’ve already bought and sold, but to go from “oh huh there gonna give me the game back” to “oh neat QOL updates and DLC? drat I’m kinda looking forward to finishing it and seeing Yuffie!” to “absolutely gently caress off lol” was a bit of a rollercoaster

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Vikar Jerome posted:

broke - spending 70 quid on new ps5 games.

woke - spending 70 quid on repro romhack n64 games

I've been thinking about getting an N64 flash cart so I can play the Donkey Kong 64 mod that lets you swap characters anywhere. Can Final Fantasy VII compete with that? I don't think so.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah I mean it’s a game I’ve already bought and sold, but to go from “oh huh there gonna give me the game back” to “oh neat QOL updates and DLC? drat I’m kinda looking forward to finishing it and seeing Yuffie!” to “absolutely gently caress off lol” was a bit of a rollercoaster

You sold the game before you finished it?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I’ve mentioned this a few times but Shinra tower is one of the worst “final dungeons” I’ve ever seen in a game, a boring slog and in general I feel like the game has really huge problems with momentum and if you aren’t absolutely GRIPPED by the story or the gameplay then it’s just a boring and EXTREMELY repetitive series of hallways, elevators, and offices.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How is it taking this long to enable such a simple feature that is already built into the console?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I said come in! posted:

How is it taking this long to enable such a simple feature that is already built into the console?

"Ship it, we'll figure out the rest later"

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Rinkles posted:

Man if we hadn't known about the PS5 upgrade I'd have been elated, but now there's a bit of a bad taste. Funny how all that's changed is the context, not the game itself.

Still, I'd expect more and better ffvii sales going forward, since that happens to most PS+ games.

I feel the same way because I want to play it but it feels like I want to buy it for $30 and sit on it for a few months to play the upgraded version.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
There's stuff in FFVII-R that's not so much padding as just kind of destructive to pacing, although some of that pacing is compared to bits in the original.

Example (some spoilers I guess): From Don Corneo's bedroom to the top of the plate is less than half an hour and a straight shot with only one boss right at the start in the original, which is appropriate for this bit of the plot because the sense is of urgency, it's a mad sprint to try and save the Sector 7 slums from Shinra's insane plan, and the extremely short notice nature of the whole thing adds a little to the tragedy of the failure to stop it. In Remake this section is replaced with two entire full length JRPG dungeons, with three actual boss fights and one boss-like capstone encounter, an entire completely original plot arc with its own introduction, setup, payoff and resolution, and a whole lot of puzzles and getting lost. The game has to resort to cutaway scenes to remind the player of the urgency and the stakes.

This kind of stuff is a result of format, mostly. FFVII-R retells a section of FFVII which is supposed to serve entirely as a prologue. These events set a bunch of characters, plot threads and mysteries into motion for resolution later. Remake wants to put its own spin on things, of course, but it can't get around the fact that it is adapting the first chapter of a story into an entire story. Square Enix would never abide an entire FFVII game without Sephiroth in it, but we never actually see Sephiroth in the original until after leaving Midgar, so we kind of have to have a lot of new content. However, the original Midgar arc also had overall pacing appropriate to its context in the story; that cannot be maintained, but there's still a need for some parts to be uptime and some to be downtime, and that's where I think they drop the ball a little. This isn't a factor of the elements that only really come into focus at the end of Remake; the game spends most of its runtime being an extraordinarily faithful retelling of the same part of FFVII to which all the masses of original content is largely in service. Sometimes that new content is paced well and sometimes it isn't.

Mostly I think the new content is handled well, it does a lot of neat fleshing out of this and that and at worst it's just okay. It's just a couple of arcs in particular and that one late game dungeon that don't really seem to gel with the pacing.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah I’ve mentioned this a few times but Shinra tower is one of the worst “final dungeons” I’ve ever seen in a game, a boring slog and in general I feel like the game has really huge problems with momentum and if you aren’t absolutely GRIPPED by the story or the gameplay then it’s just a boring and EXTREMELY repetitive series of hallways, elevators, and offices.

I loved it, I laughed the entire way up the stairs.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Yeah it's not even about the money for me it's about the time, there's no way in the hell I'm going to play a 50 hour game when a better version is going to come out in a few months. I think this is why people feel that this offering is "bullshit" or whatever

I'll just keep knocking out other stuff in my backlog, get the full price FF7 when it comes out, and call this month a wash, at least fps dark souls looks cool so it's not a total loss

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rad Valtar posted:

I feel the same way because I want to play it but it feels like I want to buy it for $30 and sit on it for a few months to play the upgraded version.

I already have that dielmma with Persona 5

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Yeah I couldn't imagine playing Persona 5 now when Royal exists.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
Wait what is all this about Persona 5 upgraded? I just started the Playstation plus collection PS4 version. I need this info before I get too deep in pro the game.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Rad Valtar posted:

Wait what is all this about Persona 5 upgraded? I just started the Playstation plus collection PS4 version. I need this info before I get too deep in pro the game.

The Royal version adds a ton of content and also QoL stuff and is pretty much a better game in every way. If you like what you've played of P5 so far I'd recommend seeing if you can grab Royal somewhere to play instead.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Rad Valtar posted:

The free version is the base game, and then there’s like a redux called Persona 5 Royal with a bunch of new content and apparently a bunch of QoL changes.

I just did this with Doom Eternal. I think Vikar Jerome hoodwinked me like “it’s an FPS devil may cry you’ll like it” and they were CORRECT but then after 5 mins I heard there was a PS5 version on the way so now it’s just waiting for an upgrade that may never come lol

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Oh really? Cool, I had no idea and was about to buy eternal the other week. Going to hold off on that now for sure

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Rinkles posted:

boz posted:

Yeah I couldn't imagine playing Persona 5 now when Royal exists.

I played the base version of Persona 5 that came free with the ps+ collection and after 105 hours I was glad to be finished with Persona 5. The game already overstayed its welcome so I cant imagine adding more content is actually an improvement.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Temperature concerns, apparently.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

univbee posted:

Temperature concerns, apparently.

Maybe something you should figure out before you release a console, methinks.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Maybe something you should figure out before you release a console, methinks.

Worked for Texas’ electrical grid.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I honestly don't even care about space and I'm fine with just keeping a handful of rotating games on my PS5, but as someone who plays quite a bit of COD, that game just ruins being able to do anything on PS5. it's to the point where is basically takes up the entire SSD and leaves room for about one more AAA game and a few indies on there. It's absolutely ridiculous.

If you want to keep the whole current suite of COD on a PS5 you are looking at around 450 gigs+ an unknown large amount of space needed to update Warzone which seems to be about 150 gigs even if an update is only 15 gigs. So essentially the game takes up about 600 gb if you include the space needed for updates. This can be marginally reduced by doing things like uninstalling certain packs, or putting the PS4 version of Cold War on PS5, but it still ultimately takes up about 450-500 gigs if you want both CW and Warzone installed. it's insane.

The absolute hubris to release games that big without attempting to massively reduce their footprint is infuriating. I guess I am going to have to look into getting an external HDD. But I don't want to do that. I just want to have a lean and mean selection of games on my PS5, but I want to be able to install more than one loving game.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So what's everyone playing this weekend?

I finished my my Nioh 2 playthrough with Segaholic and I'll probably revisit Alone in the Dark (ps3) and another indie game (manifold garden maybe) before Yakuza comes out next week.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Bust Rodd posted:

The free version is the base game, and then there’s like a redux called Persona 5 Royal with a bunch of new content and apparently a bunch of QoL changes.

I just did this with Doom Eternal. I think Vikar Jerome hoodwinked me like “it’s an FPS devil may cry you’ll like it” and they were CORRECT but then after 5 mins I heard there was a PS5 version on the way so now it’s just waiting for an upgrade that may never come lol

TBH I’m not even sure what they’d do with a dedicated PS5 port of Eternal. The game already looks fantastic and runs at a drat near locked 60fps, maybe controller features would be neat but that strikes me as a super small upgrade at best. May as well tank through it now and save the port for when you’re itching for a replay.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Dewgy posted:

TBH I’m not even sure what they’d do with a dedicated PS5 port of Eternal. The game already looks fantastic and runs at a drat near locked 60fps, maybe controller features would be neat but that strikes me as a super small upgrade at best. May as well tank through it now and save the port for when you’re itching for a replay.

I'd expect haptics at a minimum. Eternal is optimized well enough that a native 4K graphics mode and 120fps performance mode don't seem out of the question

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ineffiable posted:

So what's everyone playing this weekend?

I finished my my Nioh 2 playthrough with Segaholic and I'll probably revisit Alone in the Dark (ps3) and another indie game (manifold garden maybe) before Yakuza comes out next week.

I don’t have a PS5 yet but I’m playing the PS4 version of Miles Morales which is quite fun and still looks and runs fantastic even on my base model :)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Doom upgrade is 100% free and I’ve only killed 3 bosses in DS3, I’ll be fine waiting. I’d just like to play the best version of the game first, I LOVE my haptics!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

JordanKai posted:

I've been thinking about getting an N64 flash cart so I can play the Donkey Kong 64 mod that lets you swap characters anywhere. Can Final Fantasy VII compete with that? I don't think so.

i'm moments away from buying goldfinger 64 cart complete with label, pal box and goddamn manual. :eyepop: