Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

(electrical grid is extremely stable in Denmark, there's only been a blackout twice in the last decade).

That truly depends where you live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

That truly depends where you live
I live in Vendsyssel. Are suburban areas of Sweden (Sjælland) that much worse?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I'm looking for an alternative to Synology Drive on my DS218+. My issues with it are that it frequently utilizes 100% of my disk for like 30 hours straight, and it seems to take 2-10 hours to recognize a local change.

I think I need something like this because I frequently have to share large (10g+) files with people who are very security-minded but not very computer literate. They need to be able to click a link, enter a password, and download or stream a version of the files. I also need to be able to add temporary or long term users with access to certain directories.

Is Nextcloud the way to go for this? It should be fine to run it on more powerful hardware if I absolutely have to.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I just got done setting up Nextcloud on my Unraid server yesterday, I'm not sure if it's the best option or not but it will definitely handle what you're describing.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I'd say Nextcloud too for that. MFA can be easily added to it (or was it built in?), I have TOPT on mine.

Side question though, do you need online editing, e.g. word online style editing?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

tuyop posted:

I'm looking for an alternative to Synology Drive on my DS218+. My issues with it are that it frequently utilizes 100% of my disk for like 30 hours straight, and it seems to take 2-10 hours to recognize a local change.

I think I need something like this because I frequently have to share large (10g+) files with people who are very security-minded but not very computer literate. They need to be able to click a link, enter a password, and download or stream a version of the files. I also need to be able to add temporary or long term users with access to certain directories.

Is Nextcloud the way to go for this? It should be fine to run it on more powerful hardware if I absolutely have to.

Is there a reason not to use Google Drive or Dropbox or OneDrive?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

Is there a reason not to use Google Drive or Dropbox or OneDrive?

Yeah the people I’m working with frequently don’t trust those services and uttering the words “open source” is the incantation they need to feel safe about the kind of stuff we’re working on. No I don’t know why Synology drive was considered safe enough.

There’s also file size considerations, I’d rather put in the time to figure out the free service and learn some stuff than pay google for a terabyte.

Rooted Vegetable posted:

Side question though, do you need online editing, e.g. word online style editing?

Nah just folder syncing and link sharing.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Syncthing for sharing between devices and rclone to upload to your favorite :yaybutt:

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

tuyop posted:

Yeah the people I’m working with frequently don’t trust those services and uttering the words “open source” is the incantation they need to feel safe about the kind of stuff we’re working on. No I don’t know why Synology drive was considered safe enough.

:words:

“Security minded” but technologically illiterate and knows/trusts open source.

That is one weird little intersection.

Well, you do you boo.

Hockeyman
Dec 19, 2003

I'm sorry, I wasn't listening.
Sorry if this is redundant, but looking to upgrade a NAS. Mostly use it for data backup and a media hub. Ideally it could do some 4k transcoding as I have a Roku Stick on my main tv.

Thinking about doing RAID 10. My old NAS is a 8 or 9 year old Synology NAS and I've been pretty happy with it. Was thinking about replacing it with https://www.synology.com/en-global/products/DS418#specs.

What is the difference between the standard and the + version? Worth the extra cost? Any potential pitfalls I should be aware of? And I'm assuming WD disks are still the way to go?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Why are you thinking of using RAID10? Do you run a database or something else that needs IOPS? Otherwise, RAID6 allows you to lose any of the two drives, which gives you better data availability for the same loss in space.

WD disks above 8TB, if you're shucking. Below that, you risk running into SMR disks, and WD don't deserve to be paid money for those as they're not worth the metal they're made from for anything that they might get used for in this thread.

Hockeyman
Dec 19, 2003

Not running any databases. I've always used RAID 5 in the past and lately the write speeds have been awful. Looking to improve that but if I can get a little more dependability on the data (like having 2 disks fail) that would be nice. Don't necessarily need to do RAID 10. Haven't looked much into RAID 6.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Ebay $120 dell R710 installation report, shipping was free.

So server came well packages and arrived within the 3 days promised. It has one processor but two processor heat sinks. The Idrac was express, so pretty useless. The controller card included does JBOD and firmware is available to up install that mode, but it is limited to 2TB SATA drives, but not limited on size for SAS drives which surprisingly are not as badly priced as I feared on fleabay. I guess they are easier to liberate from capital. It contained two power supplies and two cords!.

OMV install. The default install does not include the needed firmware for the broadcom network card on the board and it doesn't prompt you to install it. The workaround is to install debian netinst which will prompt you for the firmware BCM5709. You can then run a nice script some fellow wrote that installs OMV on top of that with a couple lines of typing since you can't paste because idrac express is garbage. Technically you can SSH into the debian install but I didn't think of that because I am dumb. OMV installed and works fine.

Total costs so far

Server $120
6 dell drive trays $15
2 8 TB SAS drives system pulls, (They had 13 hours from ebay, $109 each) $218.
A usb drive I installed on stuck in the internal USB slot, $5.
Some miscellaneous SATA drives I had on a shelf, priceless!

Total $358.

Now to learn how to get docker up and running so I can install a bunch of containers full of app to help install more containers.

I also need another drive for snapraid but not to concerned yet because I haven't migrated any data that isn't also on various laptops, desktops.

Pictured on massive shelf that came with the house, weird gun american flag stickers attached by prior occupant.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Just on the subject of Docker containers: LinuxServer.io is your friend, best man at your wedding, bromance and eventual reason you leave your spouse for them... In the regard of Docker containers at least.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hockeyman posted:

Not running any databases. I've always used RAID 5 in the past and lately the write speeds have been awful. Looking to improve that but if I can get a little more dependability on the data (like having 2 disks fail) that would be nice. Don't necessarily need to do RAID 10. Haven't looked much into RAID 6.

Can you elaborate on this? What write workload are you doing and how fast is it going? Is this a synthetic test or a real workload? How fast would you like it to go?

Hockeyman
Dec 19, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

Can you elaborate on this? What write workload are you doing and how fast is it going? Is this a synthetic test or a real workload? How fast would you like it to go?

Just transferring large files across my network. Writing to RAID5 across different machines fluctuates from anywhere from less than 1 MB/s to 3 or 4 MB/s. I'm not looking for anything ridiculous, but ideally something more than that would be nice.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hockeyman posted:

Just transferring large files across my network. Writing to RAID5 across different machines fluctuates from anywhere from less than 1 MB/s to 3 or 4 MB/s. I'm not looking for anything ridiculous, but ideally something more than that would be nice.

That on the surface is not raid5's fault. You are going to want to do some serious end to end troubleshooting to figure that out. Are any of your clients wireless? Is anything connected at 100mbps? Can you try this out on a gig switch (not a router) with a wired computer + wired nas on the same switch? One large (GB's) file onto a file system that is <80% full on the destination. Protocol? OS and version on the source?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
The difference between the plus series and the non plus series is dramatic. They have much slowed hardware less ram and are gated in terms of applications by synology. I would only get a non plus synology if I was just using it as a simple file server almost just network external harddrive.

you just have a much better experience with a plus series.

Also unless you are running a vm or database off your nas you most likely will never see a real increase from raid 10 compared to getting better processor or ram. You will most likely saturate the 1 gig connection before you really see the true difference. With 4 bays running a raid six you would have enough disks to run a decent mbps as long as they were nas rated drives with decent transfer rste.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 28, 2021

Hockeyman
Dec 19, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

That on the surface is not raid5's fault. You are going to want to do some serious end to end troubleshooting to figure that out. Are any of your clients wireless? Is anything connected at 100mbps? Can you try this out on a gig switch (not a router) with a wired computer + wired nas on the same switch? One large (GB's) file onto a file system that is <80% full on the destination. Protocol? OS and version on the source?

I've got an older Synology DS413j with a RAID 5, and then 2 pcs with Windows 10 with RAID 5s. Everything is connected via cat6, nothing over wireless. Router is an Archer AX50. I've gone PC to PC, PC to NAS to PC. Same slow speeds.

Axe-man posted:

The difference between the plus series and the non plus series is dramatic. They have much slowed hardware less ram and are gated in terms of applications by synology. I would only get a non plus synology if I was just using it as a simple file server almost just network external harddrive.

you just have a much better experience with a plus series.

Also unless you are running a vm or database off your nas you most likely will never see a real increase from raid 10 compared to getting better processor or ram. You will most likely saturate the 1 gig connection before you really see the true difference. With 4 bays running a raid six you would have enough disks to run a decent mbps as long as they were nas rated drives with decent transfer rste.

OK - good to know. the 418+/420+/1621+ seem like the best options. Sounds like RAID 6 is the way to go, at least. If WD is bad now, what's the go to?

Hockeyman fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 28, 2021

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hockeyman posted:

I've got an older Synology DS413j with a RAID 5, and then 2 pcs with Windows 10 with RAID 5s. Everything is connected via cat6, nothing over wireless. Router is an Archer AX50. I've gone PC to PC, PC to NAS to PC. Same slow speeds.

This to me says your router is the problem. Try hooking your computers straight to each other using a single cable. Statically configure an ip on each. Copy the files between them.

Or fire up iperf between your two pc's via the router.

Got a switch you can test on?

Hockeyman
Dec 19, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

This to me says your router is the problem. Try hooking your computers straight to each other using a single cable. Statically configure an ip on each. Copy the files between them.

Or fire up iperf between your two pc's via the router.

Got a switch you can test on?

I think I've got a gigabit switch buried somewhere here - I'll have to give it a shot and see what happens. Either way I want something that's much better at transcoding video on the fly and looking to expand space, too. Thanks for the insights, everyone.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hockeyman posted:

I think I've got a gigabit switch buried somewhere here - I'll have to give it a shot and see what happens. Either way I want something that's much better at transcoding video on the fly and looking to expand space, too. Thanks for the insights, everyone.

That's fine - I just don't want you to spend a pile of money only to realize it wasn't your nas. Goals are important, but you should be able to saturate a gigabit connection on basically anything for sequential io. Your sorta piecing them out here. I would snag a $35 netgear off Amazon and wire everything into it - all the LAN ports on your router into it, making you just have 1 port used. I bet your speed increases dramatically.

Hockeyman
Dec 19, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

That's fine - I just don't want you to spend a pile of money only to realize it wasn't your nas. Goals are important, but you should be able to saturate a gigabit connection on basically anything for sequential io. Your sorta piecing them out here. I would snag a $35 netgear off Amazon and wire everything into it - all the LAN ports on your router into it, making you just have 1 port used. I bet your speed increases dramatically.

Tried a gigabit switch and was able to get pretty consistent transfer of about 30ish MB/s to the NAS. PC to PC was a different story - while improved, it started at about 90 MB/s for the first 3 or 4 GB and then dropped to about 15-20 MB/s for the next maybe 5 or 6 GB and then hovered around 3 - 9 MB/s for the remainder of the transfer. I tried troubleshooting some windows issues with large file shares but maybe I'll need to dive back into that.

I guess WD still has the SMR issues for their Red drives, so I'll likely be looking at the Seagate Ironwolf drives? Been a long time since I've looked into these.

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Hockeyman posted:

Tried a gigabit switch and was able to get pretty consistent transfer of about 30ish MB/s to the NAS. PC to PC was a different story - while improved, it started at about 90 MB/s for the first 3 or 4 GB and then dropped to about 15-20 MB/s for the next maybe 5 or 6 GB and then hovered around 3 - 9 MB/s for the remainder of the transfer. I tried troubleshooting some windows issues with large file shares but maybe I'll need to dive back into that.

I guess WD still has the SMR issues for their Red drives, so I'll likely be looking at the Seagate Ironwolf drives? Been a long time since I've looked into these.

What were you transferring? One large file or several small files? On the first you will get great throughput, on the latter things will slow down greatly as each file is processed. This is true of all devices. Now if you're transferring a single large file and it slows down it almost sounds like disk caching is running out of space. Although I've never seen a scenario where the large file transfer slows down unless something is wrong on the destination side, something such as using SMR disks in your pool for instance. Those start out great then dramatically slow down. Again I'd need to know what you're transferring and what exact model of disks you're using on your NAS to make an accurate determination as to what is causing your problems. If you've already listed them in the thread I'll go back and look. Just let me know. I've also known some older units start out with better throughput then drop like a rock due to lack of processing power and memory. All depends on the model there as well.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Hello pack rats, what's a great cloud back up solution for personal use?

I have a computer and a NAS (Synology DS 918+), with 2 shares mounted as drives.

I can't quite find and compare the feature sets for crashplan/backblaze, but I was wondering if either can backup both the PC and the NAS using their base plans (crashplan seems to be $10/month and backblaze is $6/month)?
Only 2 shares are mapped from the NAS to the computer, but there are a few more folders on the NAS I care about.

I won't need to access the backed up data too often at all, only if my NAS fails or maybe if I upgrade the computer.

In terms of priorities, I would want my NAS backed up 100%, and the PC is a nice to have a backup of, but not a hard requirement.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
You're correct in that Crashplan and Backblaze are the two well loved options. I personally use Crashplan.

Some have also used rclone, Duplicati and Google Drive as part of GSuite to do backups.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

bobmarleysghost posted:

Hello pack rats, what's a great cloud back up solution for personal use?

I have a computer and a NAS (Synology DS 918+), with 2 shares mounted as drives.

I can't quite find and compare the feature sets for crashplan/backblaze, but I was wondering if either can backup both the PC and the NAS using their base plans (crashplan seems to be $10/month and backblaze is $6/month)?
Only 2 shares are mapped from the NAS to the computer, but there are a few more folders on the NAS I care about.

I won't need to access the backed up data too often at all, only if my NAS fails or maybe if I upgrade the computer.

In terms of priorities, I would want my NAS backed up 100%, and the PC is a nice to have a backup of, but not a hard requirement.

Backblaze B2 is the thread favourite but some of us seem to be stuck on Amazon S3 Glacier and it works so that’s fine.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I use B2 to back up the ~800 gig photos directory on my FreeNAS box and it costs me like $3 a month. Well worth the peace of mind.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I switched from Crashplan to B2 because of the lovely Crashplan client software and never looked back

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

I use B2 to back up the ~800 gig photos directory on my FreeNAS box and it costs me like $3 a month. Well worth the peace of mind.

Turn on versioning. You don't want a crypto locker to eat everything. 30d life cycle shouldn't increase your cost per month much at all. Unless you use apple time machine in which case holy gently caress.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

sweet thanks all, I'll go with backblaze

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Same, but glacier, 2TB, synology

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

H110Hawk posted:

Turn on versioning. You don't want a crypto locker to eat everything. 30d life cycle shouldn't increase your cost per month much at all. Unless you use apple time machine in which case holy gently caress.

I think I have it on, but this is a great reminder to check because there is 0 part of me that wants to lose 16 years of photos.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

fletcher posted:

I switched from Crashplan to B2 because of the lovely Crashplan client software and never looked back

Yes, janitoring JVM sizes really sucked and I’m glad I don’t have to any more.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hed posted:

Yes, janitoring JVM sizes really sucked and I’m glad I don’t have to any more.

gently caress anything that requires installing JVM on your local machine :smithicide:

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Despite suggesting CP overall: Use the Docker image I linked to a few pages ago to keep it nicely contained.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

It's been awhile since I used CrashPlan, I guess the client still sucks, huh?

Which of the options just discussed offers the mail in service / sneakernet for initial seeding? I guess I could drive my NAS to the office and use the 500 Mbit pipe for a seed, but curious what options exist. Not happening on my 40 Mbit home connection.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

Hadlock posted:

Same, but glacier, 2TB, synology

Are you using HyperBackup? I just set up HyperBackup+B2... I wouldn't mind having a second backup on Glacier, but AWS's pricing for reads and early deletion fees makes me nervous to use automated software with it.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

movax posted:

Which of the options just discussed offers the mail in service / sneakernet for initial seeding? I guess I could drive my NAS to the office and use the 500 Mbit pipe for a seed, but curious what options exist. Not happening on my 40 Mbit home connection.

I think for Backblaze the only alternative to uploading over the internet would be through their Fireball service: https://www.backblaze.com/b2/solutions/datatransfer/fireball.html

I went the 40 Mbps for months route :negative: Oh how nice it would be to have 1 Gbps upload, maybe some day...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

movax posted:

How much data do you have to upload? And why do you care if it takes 90 days if you're presumably doing nothing today? Your NAS will handle it in the background. Will your work care if you sit there and bang off the limiter for presumably 5 days (in my 90 day example, 500 / 30mbps = 16x faster?)

AgentCow007 posted:

Are you using HyperBackup? I just set up HyperBackup+B2... I wouldn't mind having a second backup on Glacier, but AWS's pricing for reads and early deletion fees makes me nervous to use automated software with it.

Glacier really shouldn't be used for anything "churny" - it's not made for it and you shouldn't try. If you want to upload a point in time snapshot that should be fine. Don't fear early delete charges, it's "only" 90 days of storage as a minimum. Download rate is something to worry about, but you can just do it more slowly.