Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

uber_stoat posted:

"but we would never have supported the legislation without the minimum wage increase" said AOC.

"lol" said the Democrats, "lmao."

How come the rest of the stuff in the $1.9T relief bill doesn't count for you? The thing saves people put out of work due to the Coronavirus from homelessness and complete financial obliteration, but you think that it's going to depress turnout because some people on Twitter are up in arms about getting $1400 instead of $2000 in free money? All while the GOP used every vote they have to say "no" to anything and everything in the bill, and are currently using the excuse that "government spending is bad" and think it will resonate with the electorate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

bedpan posted:

We are all ears for the method you suggest would successfully pressure those two Senators to vote the way you want.

What method would you suggest to successfully pressure progressive Senators to vote the way you want

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

you see how treating senators like an immutable force of nature is loving stupid

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

Are you fuckers getting doomtrained again or is bedpan actually a moron? I can't even tell now myself

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Yinlock posted:

What method would you suggest to successfully pressure progressive Senators to vote the way you want

ok, finish the thought. you have a 50-50 senate, and need to deliver real, actionable things to voters before your next election. you either:

1) pass the stuff you can pass with 50 votes
2) you don't

which choice does your logic suggest you take

people aren't suggesting that democrats shape their policy around what is good for joe manchin keeping his political career. people are saying that democrats need to shape their policy around what joe manchin will vote for. and one of the things that joe manchin is going to consider is what is good for joe manchin.

that it would be advantageous for democrats to leave manchin for dead by having him vote for all sorts of stuff that means he'll lose in 2024 is an irrelevancy because democrats don't get to decide how manchin votes; he does.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Unsourced dnd quotes are so good

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

bedpan posted:

ok, finish the thought. you have a 50-50 senate, and need to deliver real, actionable things to voters before your next election. you either:

1) pass the stuff you can pass with 50 votes
2) you don't

which choice does your logic suggest you take

people aren't suggesting that democrats shape their policy around what is good for joe manchin keeping his political career. people are saying that democrats need to shape their policy around what joe manchin will vote for. and one of the things that joe manchin is going to consider is what is good for joe manchin.

that it would be advantageous for democrats to leave manchin for dead by having him vote for all sorts of stuff that means he'll lose in 2024 is an irrelevancy because democrats don't get to decide how manchin votes; he does.

Do you have anything to offer other than excuses for why its ok not to expect good things?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

Do you have anything to offer other than excuses for why its ok not to expect good things?

The moral of Oliver Twist was that he shouldn’t have ever asked for more in the first place.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

ok, you think passing a "watered down" bill will lead to republicans taking control. what do you believe passing no bill will do.

we'll ignore your religious belief that there's a magic "make manchin do what we want" button, because that's obviously just magical thinking trying to paper over the obvious hole in your logic

How in the world is $600 less in stimulus and a $15 minimum wage hike axed by the parliamentarian (not by compromise) "watered down into oblivion"? Is it just because you don't need all the rest of the stuff in the bill?

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Yinlock posted:

you saw it with ftv too, previously thought to be normal people losing their fuckin minds because a good idea didn't go through the Woke Council for approval

yeah lol, I’m glad that poo poo happened though because it was very helpful at outing people who aren’t really on my side

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
bedpan i wish you a speedy recovery on your tbi, i'm hoping we can soon all laugh at your posts in retrospect together

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

wheres that one dude who was also doing this thing and who also revealed that he was some establishment liberal elemental

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
look fellas I know the prison warden said he'd be giving us two pudding cups with supper but it looks like we're just getting one. be grateful, we could be gettin nothing!!!

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

if you voted for biden, you did everything in your power to spit on Khashoggi's grave :)

(obviously you didnt ipo)

v oh wait what was he a piece of poo poo? I assumed he was just a typical journalist

Ruzihm has issued a correction as of 23:32 on Feb 26, 2021

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

bedpan posted:

currently using the excuse that "government spending is bad" and think it will resonate with the electorate.

this is what democrats believe

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020
*unreal announcer* holy poo poo

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Ruzihm posted:

if you voted for biden, you did everything in your power to spit on Khashoggi's grave :)

(obviously you didnt ipo)

we should spit on his grave, along with not voting for Biden.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

bedpan posted:

ok, you think passing a "watered down" bill will lead to republicans taking control. what do you believe passing no bill will do.

we'll ignore your religious belief that there's a magic "make manchin do what we want" button, because that's obviously just magical thinking trying to paper over the obvious hole in your logic

How in the world is $600 less in stimulus and a $15 minimum wage hike axed by the parliamentarian (not by compromise) "watered down into oblivion"? Is it just because you don't need all the rest of the stuff in the bill?

Republicans passed bad bills all year last year and gave Americans more personally than democrats are willing to. Everyone can pass bad bills so why are you lining up to jerk them off for it?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
holy poo poo this is a thousand times worse than doing nothing, saying nothing

YOU CAN KILL AND DISMEMBER PEOPLE, ITS FINE, YOU ARE OUR FRIEND

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Republicans passed bad bills all year last year and gave Americans more personally than democrats are willing to. Everyone can pass bad bills so why are you lining up to jerk them off for it?

This really isn't true and the COVID bill should prove that. There have been numerous takes from journalists saying how much the makeup of the Dem's and their thinking has evolved in the past 10 years. The bill that's about to go through reconciliation would have been impossible with the Dems in leadership a decade ago. Change is happening - Bernie Sanders is about to get a $15 minimum wage passed and is accepted as a fundamental part of Dem leadership now, that was unthinkable 5 years ago.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

i hope joe biden dies

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

bedpan posted:

It's a circus and a sham and the button that makes people do good things is labelled "threat and force" which we are not allowed to do materially or physically and now not even politically. Any approved mechanism for change has been sealed off from the lower classes by the ruling class worldwide but they carry on this puppet show because so many people are fooled and distracted by it into exhausted complacency while brainwashed rubes talk about procedure and democracy and our hallowed rules and institutions, never fully understanding that they are part of the smoke and mirrors that assist in the oppression of the whole world.

Shipon posted:

I laughed at the maoist third-worldists in the LF days but drat if I don't see where they were coming from these days

they were right, anyway, :d2a:

Strep Vote has issued a correction as of 23:36 on Feb 26, 2021

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

really queer Christmas posted:

Unsourced dnd quotes are so good

sixty percent of the time, it works everytime

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

bedpan posted:

This really isn't true and the COVID bill should prove that. There have been numerous takes from journalists saying how much the makeup of the Dem's and their thinking has evolved in the past 10 years. The bill that's about to go through reconciliation would have been impossible with the Dems in leadership a decade ago. Change is happening - Bernie Sanders is about to get a $15 minimum wage passed and is accepted as a fundamental part of Dem leadership now, that was unthinkable 5 years ago.

Your username is overflowing

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

World War Mammories posted:

yeah, you might even say they should force it

sounds like grifter talk to me :toughguy:

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

It's harm reduction to let MBS do arm reduction.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

That audio of the ghoulish doctor they had talking about how he usually doesn't dismember warm corpses was sick.

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer
Lol "free money". Bitch that money is ours not some loving politicians'. Everyone posting here has had 500 fold stolen from us by the political elite their enabling of billionaires.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bedpan posted:

this one's too old to work

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
it owns that the DNC has legions of ghouls to defend their garbage policy completely free of charge

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Strep Vote posted:

It's a circus and a sham and the button that makes people do good things is labelled "threat and force" which we are not allowed to do materially or physically and now not even politically. Any approved mechanism for change has been sealed off from the lower classes by the ruling class worldwide but they carry on this puppet show because so many people are fooled and distracted by it into exhausted complacency while brainwashed rubes talk about procedure and democracy and our hallowed rules and institutions, never fully understanding that they are part of the smoke and mirrors that assist in the oppression of the whole world.

Yes the Senate as an institution loving sucks and almost everyone hates it. I'd say the majority of Democrats holding office right now are very interested in changing it but you have 0% power over the ones who don't, you can't pretend that you do.

This would not matter if the GOP wasn't such a terrible party that you can't even find 10 votes to pass basic aid to people in an emergency.

Stop excusing the fact that our system is entirely broken due to the GOP not because of a few dumb Dem Senators.

Your username is overflowing

Is this a joke? You are going to blame the Democrats for not more aid going out when the GOP is the reason they can't do anything but a reconciliation bill that they can't use again for almost a year?

The stimulus that did go out last year was due to GOP terror and even then it didn't come close to what the Democrats were asking for. The Democrats still voted for it because they knew people needed it. Then there was 8 months of nothing because the GOP ideologically hates the very idea of giving people money and they never had enough votes to do it until they were so desperate to not lose GA they put a tiny sum on the table (which Trump then backstabbed them over).

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

bedpan posted:

Yes the Senate as an institution loving sucks and almost everyone hates it. I'd say the majority of Democrats holding office right now are very interested in changing it but you have 0% power over the ones who don't, you can't pretend that you do.

This would not matter if the GOP wasn't such a terrible party that you can't even find 10 votes to pass basic aid to people in an emergency.

Stop excusing the fact that our system is entirely broken due to the GOP not because of a few dumb Dem Senators.

Is this a joke? You are going to blame the Democrats for not more aid going out when the GOP is the reason they can't do anything but a reconciliation bill that they can't use again for almost a year?

The stimulus that did go out last year was due to GOP terror and even then it didn't come close to what the Democrats were asking for. The Democrats still voted for it because they knew people needed it. Then there was 8 months of nothing because the GOP ideologically hates the very idea of giving people money and they never had enough votes to do it until they were so desperate to not lose GA they put a tiny sum on the table (which Trump then backstabbed them over).

You're too loving stupid or drunk on dnc Kool-aid to understand that the democrats don't actually want to improve the lives of the working class you dolt. They're passing exactly what they want to under the rules they've set for themselves. Why are you holding their dick while they piss on the walls and telling us its art?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

bedpan posted:

Well, strictly speaking and without going into specifics there are absolutely "making (politician) do what you want" "buttons"

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

It's amazing how far the dems have come in the last thirty years, why, in another fifty they might return to their positions of the eighties.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Nothus posted:

Yeah I was in Bolivia in 2016 working for a little outfit called USAID, you've probably never heard of them.

Evo kicked USAID out in 2013

Drum's not wrong. Presumably this will be his one right opinion for the year.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Why can't Joe Biden tell Joe Manchin how to vote? Is Joe Biden not the leader of his political party?

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You're too loving stupid or drunk on dnc Kool-aid to understand that the democrats don't actually want to improve the lives of the working class you dolt. They're passing exactly what they want to under the rules they've set for themselves. Why are you holding their dick while they piss on the walls and telling us its art?
I don't give a poo poo about any of that. Manchin is what he is and it's not going to change. Using political power to persecute one's perceived enemies is Trumpism writ large.

I care about helping people in need. I'm sad we can't do as much as I'd like, but I'll take what I can get.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Dolphin posted:

I don't give a poo poo about any of that. Manchin is what he is and it's not going to change. Using political power to persecute one's perceived enemies is Trumpism writ large.

I care about helping people in need. I'm sad we can't do as much as I'd like, but I'll take what I can get.

With more and more people happy with the scraps thrown on the floor nobody will ever look up off the ground.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Animal-Mother posted:

Why can't Joe Biden tell Joe Manchin how to vote? Is Joe Biden not the leader of his political party?
This is like a daily issue.

There is nothing to be done with Manchin and Sinema other than bribing them with earmarks, promising votes on important issues for them, and wining and dining and otherwise sweet-talking them. That gives you the maximum return. It won't be everything you want, but it will be more than zero.

Getting "tough" with them and cuffing them around will not make them more cooperative, it will drive them away and less cooperative. There is no leverage or strings to pull to force them to toe the line. It just makes things worse.

It's not a situation to be happy about, but it's what it is in a 50-50 Senate. Every Senator is the deciding vote and the egos have to be appeased of every one of them to get anything done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Dolphin posted:

Using political power to persecute one's perceived enemies is Trumpism writ large.

Why? Do you think he invented that?