Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

As in the runup to WW2 the gambles ze Germans had to take to have a theoretical chance of winning should have tipped them off that they should probably rethink their whole approach to the problem of having other countries in Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

aphid_licker posted:

As in the runup to WW2 the gambles ze Germans had to take to have a theoretical chance of winning should have tipped them off that they should probably rethink their whole approach to the problem of having other countries in Europe.
OK, you go tell Hitler that.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Tulip posted:

Kind of to reiterate, a lot of that potential was realized, at least in the window you're talking about. The USSR in the 60s and 70s was a very credible competitor to the US for most industrialized, and while there's frequent emphasis on the differences from the USA, the two countries had a number of major economic similarities. And as much as may be said about the USSR not adapting well to the material conditions in the last decade and change of its life, it was still #2 in GDP.

I mean, you have to cherry pick your figures a bit to say that. If you choose GPD per Capita then the USSR was less productive per head than Spain from 1970.

In fact 1960 is the point at which the Western capitalist countries all start breaking hard away from the USSR in terms of growth.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
My YouTube recommendations threw up some Pathe footage of the scuttling of HMS Implacable (ex-French Duguay-Trouin, present at Trafalgar and captured in the aftermath of the battle), and the last surviving seventy-four in existence. It turns out Pathe covered the old ship quite often in her last years:

Some silent newsreel of Implacable undergoing maintenance/light restoration at Devonport in the 1920s

The ship entering harbour during her move to Portsmouth in 1932 for use as a civilian cadet training ship, passing HMS Victory

Newsreel with sound covering her sinking by explosives in 1949

A longer - and somewhat more bombastic - Gaumont newsreel covering the sinking

Edit:

The BBC Archive twitter feed has their own coverage (mostly with the same shots, but some unique ones of the actual sinking)
https://twitter.com/BBCArchive/status/1070369712238940160

I think the YouTube algorithim has finally noticed that I subscribe to Drachinifel and taken that as the cue to fill my timeline with archival navy footage. Going into more recent naval history, is this film All of One Company, covering an early deployment by HMS Coventry in 1980, made all the more poignant by the fact that the ship would be sunk in the Falklands less than two years after the film was made.

The opening scenes of the ship leaving harbour also include a brief shot of Foudroyant (the ex Leda-class frigate Trincomalee of 1812) at her traditional anchorage in Portsmouth, where she would have been alongside Implacable in the 1940s. This was only the year after Warrior had been taken into restoration after sitting in Pembroke dock as an oil hulk for 50 years - it's always amazing how long these artifacts lingered along in some sort of service. Especially in the case of the British, it's pretty much the only way they made it into preservation, rather than by any active decision to keep them for historical value.

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 26, 2021

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Solid find.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Reminder that this is a military history thread, not a modern politics thread. The only thing I want to read about Ireland is the Battle of Clontarf or how the British fleeced them over Comets or whatever.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHv5mncZxm8

Tank nerdery, courtesy of the Swedish tank museum.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Weka posted:

The PLA is almost certainly more corrupt than western militaries but I don't know about their procurement process. The article you linked says it's difficult to tell. If you or anyone else had any web based stuff on PRC military procurement, surrounding corruption or not, I'd be very interested.

This is a decent quick intro.

Establishing the JLSF was a huge first step to reforming their entire acquisitions system, but it is still relatively new and facing a LOT of organizational inertia. They're also seriously doubling down on this idea that civilian organizations have a major role to play in future military tech, which means a more focused partnership between the two halves (they call it "military-civil fusion").

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

White Coke posted:

How much of an issue was it for the Soviet Union that their demographic growth dropped very quickly after they came to power, and even more after WW2? According to Wikipedia the fertility rate for Russia dropped from 6.72 in 1926, to 4.54 in 1936, and 2.81 in 1946. And then it dropped below replacement levels in 1967 and hovered around there until they broke up. A planned economy isn't going to be dependent on a growing population to drive "endless" economic growth, but it'd certainly leave them falling behind since less people produce less stuff.

It's an issue but also an inevitable consequence of transitioning from an agrarian, rural society to an urban, industrial society. You see similar trends in major Western countries as well (France, UK, Germany) during their transitions to more urban societies. Interestingly, those countries' birth rates all dropped to under replacement levels at about the same time as the Soviet Union's did.

I think one major difference is that the Western European countries added immigration to sub replacement level birth rates. Germany pulled in all the Turkish gastarbeiter, France had massive immigration from Algeria and other parts of the Francophonie due to decolonization and later relatively pro immigration policies, and Britain was about the same as France.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Nenonen posted:

Also Paris was right there, they had reached it in 1871 (and would get within artillery range again) whereas Russia was a vastly larger country and you would probably have to reach for St. Petersburg in the north east and also for Moscow long ways in the east to really debilitate them. That's just not doable in a single season.

Although there is no doubt that the Nazis badly underestimated the USSR, it is worth remembering that their fathers and grandfathers had defeated Russia within living memory. We regularly say people don't learn from history - but the lesson of WWI was "Russia can lose, even if you don't take Moscow."

In WWI the Western Front was the main effort of the war, the Eastern front was largely seen as a holding action. But even then, they won battles against a numerically superior enemy, occupied vast areas of territory, saw the Tsar's government collapse, and forced the Russians to give up a lot of land at the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk. Although yes, Germany lost WWI as a whole, by any meaningful measure they won in the East.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

PittTheElder posted:

I'd suspect that it's more that English speaking governments have been the most deeply infected with neoliberal brainworms, and nearly everything has been privatized, meaning that our governments are now poo poo at planning, as none of the expertise is in house. When effective government action is avoided because it threatens private sector profit, government action won't be very effective.

But I know nothing about Scandinavian/German/French governments, so I could be wrong.

Pedestrian Observations (another post was linked by Tulip as well) brings up a long list of issues where most but not all are related to project management in some way. It seems to hold true in general though for major engineering projects that the customer needs to have significant in-house engineering resources on the project as well. If you don't, the supplier will almost inevitably rip you off, or you'll go and change requirements that require major redesigns and the supplier will happily charge you out the nose for it. Basically, you need to have deep knowledge of the thing you're ordering. I've seen references to studies calling this out as a key part of success in a whole bunch of different industries ranging from power grids and locomotives to jet fighters like the Gripen and the Rafale. In the case of the Gripen specifically they also went to great lengths when writing up the original contracts to prevent cost overruns, but the Swedish ordnance department has always had a great deal of engineering involvement in the design of Saab's fighters and it still has an in-house engineering department in the Gripen project office to this day. On a lot of other projects though that in-house resource has been replaced with consultants or removed entirely to varying degrees and then things also tend to become more expensive and/or delayed.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 26, 2021

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Fragility of Russian empire was to be expected if you looked at the mini-revolution after the Russo-Japanese war and understood that all of the tensions were still unresolved by constitutional reforms. It just wasn't so obviously predictable back then, nor just how clueless Russian command in Poland was.

Hitler then expected precisely the same events to unfold in 1941 because history repeats itself, innit?!? Plus recent experiences from Poland and Finland had shown that Red Army had command and morale problems. But unlike Nicholas, Stalin had suppressed all opposition in all parts of society, and Soviet industrial base was much stronger despite having to evacuate to the Urals, and all of this changed the setting.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

aphid_licker posted:

Hitler's ambitions and lack of foresight make perfect sense when you find out the regimen of drugs and other stuff he was on.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

BalloonFish posted:

I think the YouTube algorithim has finally noticed that I subscribe to Drachinifel and taken that as the cue to fill my timeline with archival navy footage. Going into more recent naval history, is this film All of One Company, covering an early deployment by HMS Coventry in 1980, made all the more poignant by the fact that the ship would be sunk in the Falklands less than two years after the film was made.

Yeah I also subscribed to him, and so (I think combining that with Smarter Every Day's Fast Attack Sub Series) YouTube has been hitting me up with a lot of Sub Brief videos. Pretty cool collection of declassified information on Cold War era submarines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c?SubBrief?videos

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
Video unavailable it seems.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Reminder that this is a military history thread, not a modern politics thread. The only thing I want to read about Ireland is the Battle of Clontarf or how the British fleeced them over Comets or whatever.
That "or whatever" leaves me with far too much wiggle room.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Arquinsiel posted:

^^^^
Video unavailable it seems.
That "or whatever" leaves me with far too much wiggle room.

Link was broken, try this one https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9bMgCQyFNaMPsK9GtzM5dQ

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Speaking of WWI's eastern front, did any country besides Bulgaria manage to keep both it's capital and system of government for the whole conflict?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Arbite posted:

Speaking of WWI's eastern front, did any country besides Bulgaria manage to keep both it's capital and system of government for the whole conflict?

Australia comes to mind.

Gallipoli is in the eastern front, and Australia is an eastern country, right?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Arbite posted:

Sorry. Read too quickly and thought you said WWII. Romania?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Epicurius posted:

Sorry. Read too quickly and thought you said WWII. Romania?

It was occupied briefly after Russia fell so they didn't keep their capital. They did rejoin the allies at the last minute though, once Germany was collapsing.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Cheers bewbies for the link, something to read tonight.

I was wondering if anybody had a good source for the model of Toyota supplied by France to Chad during the Toyota war. I've come across variously only hiluxes or hiluxes and landcruisers, with no mention of new or what model or anything.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Hitler's ambitions and lack of foresight make perfect sense when you find out the regimen of drugs and other stuff he was on.

He thought that no one else in Germany, even the other Nazis, had the guts to exploit the opportunities he saw and worried that if he died Germany would be doomed because it wouldn't have a leader brave enough to take them to victory. I don't know how much of that was the drugs versus his fear of mortality, I think he had a health scare before the Sudeten Crisis, and he turned 50 in 1939.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Midlife crisis makes us all do embarrassing things :(

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
Everybody would have been happier if he had bought a motorcycle instead.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Fish of hemp posted:

Eva would have been worried sick.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

ArchangeI posted:

Eva would have been worried sick.

He should have accepted his sexuality and taken Hess to the side car. Together they could have tripped through Europe and written Mein Kampf 2: Kampf meiner.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Kampfing hard or hardly kampfing? A Führer for the male middle age. A. Schicklgruber, with a foreword by the famous medicinal Kräuterteefabrikant Heinrich Himmler.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

White Coke posted:

He thought that no one else in Germany, even the other Nazis, had the guts to exploit the opportunities he saw and worried that if he died Germany would be doomed because it wouldn't have a leader brave enough to take them to victory. I don't know how much of that was the drugs versus his fear of mortality, I think he had a health scare before the Sudeten Crisis, and he turned 50 in 1939.

That was partly sarcastic but a lot of that was in Hitler's personality before, the drugs exasperated it as substance abuse usually does, and he went full crazy cult leader after the Munich Conference, in that he totally bought all the propaganda about himself in a way he hadn't before. It's arguable that Hitler believed himself to be what the propaganda said he was before then but he really took on a messianic delusion when he kept inexplicably winning when he should have been losing. He was even in a lot of ways publicly a "volcel" because he believed he had to project an air of unapproachable manhood and strength. It's one of the main reasons he didn't marry Eva Braun until right before they died or publicly acknowledge her being his girlfriend.

He wasn't only high on his doctor's supply but his own.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
IMO Hitler's doctor did more to stop the nazis than anyone.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Weka posted:

IMO Hitler's doctor did more to stop the nazis than anyone.

Genuinely incredible quackery combined with stripping every medical cabinet in germany for the goods.

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!

Fish of hemp posted:

Kultur and the art of Zündapp repair.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Imagine if Hitler had been given the medication JFK had got that made him extremely horny (allegedly)

What kind of a world would contain Nymphomaniac Irish Hitler

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Blitzing to Paris in his stretched Volkswagon e: Pantserkampfwagen in search of HOT SLOPPY BABES

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 28, 2021

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

MikeCrotch posted:

Imagine if Hitler had been given the medication JFK had got that made him extremely horny (allegedly)

What kind of a world would contain Nymphomaniac Irish Hitler
Look, I've already been asked not to talk about current Irish politics...

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

MikeCrotch posted:

Nymphomaniac Irish Hitler

“Hello, Netflix? I have a concept for a show. Yes, I’ll hold.”

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Been working my way through old linked milhist threads again and came across some forums history.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Just finished watching this:

Platystemon posted:

The Royal Institution hosted a lecture about the history of nerve agents.

I haven’t watched it yet because it’s an hour long, but it should be right up this thread’s alley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7WunS8qCz0

The talk itself is good, the book might be of interest to people ITT. I didn't know that Japanese cult had the resources of a Colombian cocaine cartel.

But two points of milhist: it does a good job at explaining why the Nazis never used nerve agent chem warfare, and it brings up a dude named Major (Later Lt. Col) Edmund Tilley, who was a top-flight intelligence interrogator who did lots of good work getting the truth on nerve agents out of various Germans post war. I'm wondering if anybody else knows about him, as the author of the talk above says he did great things and then dropped off the face of the earth.

https://twitter.com/dankaszeta/status/1102264352424513541

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Comparative trials of the T-80, T-72, T-64, and T-62

Queue: German additional tank protection (zimmerit, schurzen, track links), Winter and swamp tracks, Paper light tank destroyers, Allied intel on the Maus , Summary of French interbellum tank development, Medium Tank T20, Medium Tank T23, Myths of Soviet tank building, GMC M10, Tiger II predecessors, Pz.Kpfw.IV Ausf.H-J,IS-6, SU-101/SU-102/Uralmash-1, Centurion Mk.I, SU-100 front line impressions, IS-2 front line impressions, Myths of Soviet tank building: early Great Patriotic War, Influence of the T-34 on German tank building, Medium Tank T25, Heavy Tank T26/T26E1/T26E3, Career of Harry Knox, GMC M36, Geschützwagen Tiger für 17cm K72 (Sf), Early Early Soviet tank development (MS-1, AN Teplokhod), Career of Semyon Aleksandrovich Ginzburg, AT-1, Object 140, SU-76 frontline impressions, Creation of the IS-3, IS-6, SU-5, Myths of Soviet tank building: 1943-44, IS-2 post-war modifications, Myths of Soviet tank building: end of the Great Patriotic War, Medium Tank T6, RPG-1, Lahti L-39, American tank building plans post-war, German tanks for 1946, HMC M7 Priest, GMC M12, GMC M40/M43, ISU-152, AMR 35 ZT, Soviet post-war tank building plans, T-100Y and SU-14-1, Object 430, Pz.Kpfw.35(t), T-60 tanks in combat, SU-76M modernizations, Panhard 178, 15 cm sFH 13/1 (Sf), 43M Zrínyi, Medium Tank M46, Modernization of the M48 to the M60 standard, German tank building trends at the end of WW2, Pz.Kpfw.III/IV, E-50 and E-75 development, Pre-war and early war British tank building,

Available for request (others' articles):

:ussr:
Shashmurin's career
BT-7M/A-8 trials
Voroshilovets tractor trials
T-55 underwater driving equipment
T-26-6 (SU-26)
T-64's composite armour

:911:
Light Tank T37
Light Tank T41

:godwin:
Oerlikon and Solothurn anti-tank rifles
Evolution of German tank observation devices
Jagdtiger suspension NEW

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Nebakenezzer posted:

Just finished watching this:

The talk itself is good, the book might be of interest to people ITT. I didn't know that Japanese cult had the resources of a Colombian cocaine cartel.

But two points of milhist: it does a good job at explaining why the Nazis never used nerve agent chem warfare, and it brings up a dude named Major (Later Lt. Col) Edmund Tilley, who was a top-flight intelligence interrogator who did lots of good work getting the truth on nerve agents out of various Germans post war. I'm wondering if anybody else knows about him, as the author of the talk above says he did great things and then dropped off the face of the earth.

https://twitter.com/dankaszeta/status/1102264352424513541

So, what were the reasons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Very cool! This in particular was a striking takeaway:

quote:

The hit rate was as follows:

T-80: 63.6%
T-64A: 37.3%
T-72: 36.1%
T-62: 19.6%

And the average amount of defeated targets:

T-80: 81.5%
T-64A: 60.0%
T-72: 66.7%
T-62: 66.1%

Though the focus was on the T80's fuel consumption, I didn't see much of a sense of how that fit into the context of the 70s USSR as a major oil exporter, or how fuel difficult/easy it was for the USSR to fuel their tanks in field conditions.

I'd be interested in a comparison of the defensive capabilities but I have no idea how available that data is.