Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

But lol I couldn’t think of a better woven portrayal of GOW & Norse poo poo. I mean, you can just ride around in a boat for hours listening to a severed head telling ya Norse stories

Looking like I might have to do a PS5 play through.

I like history & was looking forward to getting around to Odyssey tho :(

Wait are you talking about God of War or AC Valhalla?

You can ride around on a boat and chill in God of War?

It's Norse not Greek? I knew none of these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
the best part of GOW 2018 post-game is pablo and beanpole, hands down.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

y’all defended Dad of War better than I could have, ty ty

I forgot a lot of people couldn’t handle the short bit when Atreus is all ornery & full of angst and prob threw in the towel there

But lol I couldn’t think of a better woven portrayal of GOW & Norse poo poo. I mean, you can just ride around in a boat for hours listening to a severed head telling ya Norse stories

Looking like I might have to do a PS5 play through.

I like history & was looking forward to getting around to Odyssey tho :(

ive never even played it hahahahahaha

asscreedO is fine on the history stuff. There's a fair few deep cuts but since you gotta dig a lot deeper to cut like that most everyone is spelled out pretty good. Of course if you don't actually know anything about the classical era, it might escape your notice that everyone slightly eyerolling every time sokrates opens his mouth is period-accurate. You know, as just a minor example.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

You, sir, have a corrupt user profile just like I did. Wait for me to dig up my old posts before you do anything.

I remember you posting about that. Didn't you have to basically make a new profile and copy everything over or something? I'll dig through your post history later.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Soysaucebeast posted:

I remember you posting about that. Didn't you have to basically make a new profile and copy everything over or something? I'll dig through your post history later.

here, you'll want to be careful, but the good thing is that if i'm right then it's not as serious as you might think

scary. my electricity flicked off for a half second but it was just long enough to tank the PS5. rebooted, rebuilt the database, and yet I can't launch MHW now, it just kicks me back to XMB with an error code. next step is to uninstall and reinstall, but even with the disc copy that's a hella big update file. anyways, i hope that fixes it and that my save isn't corrupted because my backup save was like a week ago :cry:

loving winter

ok piss5 thread super sleuths, since the power outage i have confirmed that the MHW file was not corrupt or actually the source of my issue (wish i hadn't deleted it), but that i am just being kicked out of all PS4 games now with error code np-103418-7, i'm guessing this is a permissions thing having to do with backwards compat. none of my games are installed on an external drive, it's all on the on-board SSD. any thoughts on how to resolve this short of resetting to factory settings?

thanks in advance,

- a gamer in need

Tried it. No dice.

No PS4 games work, they error out within 3 seconds, disc or digital.

PS5 games run as normal.

:sigh:

I'm out of action. I have no idea what's going on. I guess I'll try to grab an external and throw my PS4 games on it before I reset the whole system and reinstall firmware. Even then I'll still need to download an absurdly huge update file for monhun. Gonna be a few days at least until I figure this out.

Kind of disheartened :( oh well, I guess I'll consider myself lucky if it's just some data corruption issue rather than a fried console

I looked into deleting the user: pictures, movies, and saves associated with that user would be deleted. That's okay I can back up the saves and I care not for pics.

Anyways, I think your theory might be correct. I wish I hadn't deleted MHW on a whim last night assuming it was corrupt. I can't be sure deleting the user will fix the issue but it's worth a shot because I tried logging into one of my offline sub accounts and all my PS4 games boot up no problem, even MHW which hasn't even finished patching. I think the power outage corrupted some permission with my main User. I'll let you know how it shakes out, but I also think I need to look into some external storage just in case I need to reset to factory settings.

---

I'll look into it. I'd never had problems on my grid for the last decade until this storm. The power has been back for 24 hours, but I think they are doing some sort of change-over at certain times of night, maybe due to grid repairs around the city. Haven't used UPS since my time abroad, but, yeah

ongoing issue log:

- backup battery supply procured
- external storage procured
- currently backing up gamesaves
- confirmed PSN cannot currently sync title data or PS4 saved games on my current PS5 user, looking at possible remedies (ie deleting and recreating user profile)

edit;

tried a few other things just for kicks before i delete the User*

- logged into psn account from pc and hosed around with a few things. no effect
- tried a PS4 game from extended storage and got the same crash on said User

*just trying to be meticulous about this in case it happens to someone else so we can troubleshoot it

okay here's the update on my weird PS4 games breaking bug / attempts to circumvent it

after trying all other options i backed up all my saves and games externally from my main ps+ enabled user account which i'll call 'john', then i switched to a sub account, let's call the sub account 'peter'. Peter had never been used online and was only created for local multiplayer. i then tried to log 'john' out of psn and log 'peter' in with that same psn account after but the system errored out and said 'another account on this ps5 is using this psn account'. so i decided to go ahead with the next step of deleting 'john', without knowing what would end up happening or whether i'd gently caress up the system and need a full factory reset.

i logged into 'peter' and deleted 'john' after a few pop-up warnings about share-play and offline-mode which didn't seem to apply to me. as soon as i deleted 'john' i decided to log into my psn account using the sub-user 'peter'...success. ps5 games are there, none of my old saves are there but that's okay (backups)...but i immediately notice that 'peter' is now named 'john' and contains all the old options for that account including the av and i can suddenly play PS4 games again.

so, the corrupted main account that i originally created on the PS5 ('john') and subsequently linked to my psn/ps+ retains some sort of master privileged on the console even after being deleted, to the point where when deleted it restored itself in the slot of the sub-account and overwrote it, without my save games/pictures/movies of course. sub account 'peter' is now called 'john', and the original 'john' is gone, along with its hosed up bug. this is interesting as it implies that there are certain failsafes in place to prevent people from destroying their filesystems even if they are a complete idiot, but it also implies a sort of opaque permissions system that persists in the background ostensibly for data-gathering purposes, unless a full factory reset is done.

the next step was transferring my ps5 saves back from the cloud, my ps4 saves back from usb, and my ps4 games off extended storage. i am apparently back in business. my hope is that there won't be any lasting permissions consequence or cascading effect down the road from the user account being overwritten. fingers crossed.

anyways, i'm glad that's all behind me for now, i'm glad i didn't have to resort to support/RMA, and i'm happy that i didn't have to redownload all my games

:thumbsup:

:sweatdrop: that was some scary poo poo

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Bum the Sad posted:

It's Norse not Greek? I knew none of these things.

He killed all the Greek gods in the originals so they needed a new pantheon for Kratos to gently caress up.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I think they held back a little too much on gods to kill in 2018.
One bigger name would have made me happy but we are prolly getting a feast in ragnarok

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

History Comes Inside! posted:

He killed all the Greek gods in the originals so they needed a new pantheon for Kratos to gently caress up.

Lol that rules. I’ve never played one but I do have the new one to play on my PS5 eventually.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

None of these games being discussed let you fight a giant angry pickle monster

https://twitter.com/sunhilegend/status/1356040220546916352?s=21

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

:eyepop:

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

here, you'll want to be careful, but the good thing is that if i'm right then it's not as serious as you might think

You're a life saver, that was it! Beanpole, you're officially my favorite, I don't care what they say about you.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

i love pickle-jo, and i also love bagel

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Soysaucebeast posted:

You're a life saver, that was it! Beanpole, you're officially my favorite, I don't care what they say about you.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

If they were real locations then it would feel very weird and 'quaint' to be able to walk from the highest heights all the way to the lower depths in under 10 minutes. The interconnectedness is very spiffy from a coding persepctive and it's obvious they spent a ton of time on it, but if anything it makes everthing feel far more 'gamey' than imagining that the world is huge because you have to teleport between distant shrines. There's a suspension of disbelief in DS1 that just isn't running properly for me, the world can never be larger than life for me because unfortunately all I can think about is...how everything is so close to everything else...so how can anything feel secret?

Like, I know it's all besides the point but Bell Gargoyles to Quelaag is a 5 minute walk max :shrug:

I disagree, as long as you're having to use elevators and poo poo why shouldn't you be able to quickly change altitude?

The world still takes a considerably long time to traverse before you get the Lordvessel. "You want a fire weapon? Have fun walking all the way from Anor Londo to the Catacombs"

That may take 10 minutes if you speedrun and know the path, but plenty of players could spend HOURS making that trek.

And if anything, that's the game's greatest feature. It FEELS like a massive, huge world, from the lowest lows to the highest highs, and the fact that it doesn't take 10 hours to walk across is very convenient as long as it still feels large, which I guess for me and Cardio it is, but I guess for you not so much.

E: Oops didn't realize this was a quoted post in another thread from 30 pages ago, lol

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 28, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

FallenGod posted:

It'll probably be like every other RT game where people swear the shadows and GI are photo realistic and it turns out the only thing being ray traced is the occasional puddle reflection.

I mean from a purely black box user experience it is hard to tell the difference between ray-traced GI and hand-placed GI depending upon how good the hands are that do the placing.

But most games cheap out and only do the reflections because full ray-traced GI is hard work to make perform well.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

i love pickle-jo, and i also love bagel

I loved seeing their turf way and it playing out exactly how I thought it would.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

gotta say I did not expect to get sucked back into the Kulve Taroth Siege again in Iceborne, but hot drat that is still some good rear end content. I really like that they updated it with some new moves and now there are multiple ways to play the quest, because the El Dorado caverns are sweet and KT is a dope idea for a mon. Still haven't beaten the MR Slay KT quest yet but I'm working on it. Also the MR Kulve armor is dope and it even has jiggle physics! :eyepop:

I love this game. It might make my SA GOTY for a third time.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Vikar Jerome posted:

the best part of GOW 2018 post-game is pablo and beanpole, hands down.

👏

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

it certainly wasn't that lovely post-credits stinger :blastu:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

it certainly wasn't that lovely post-credits stinger :blastu:

They should get Chris Hemsworth to do the voice

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ShaneB posted:

I can't believe how combat never felt challenging for the entire game, and how redundant the enemies felt and became over time.

did you play on hard? hard wasn't that difficult, especially later on, but it meant having to pay a bit more attention to what you were doing.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Bum the Sad posted:

You can ride around on a boat and chill in God of War?

Yeah, it's sort of semi-open world, and you spend a fair amount of time in a boat. Some of the best dialogue in the game is Kratos telling allegorical stories of his own past ("There was… a horse. The horse sought vengeance upon his enemy, a stag..." etc.). Alot of them are really funny.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Handsome Wife posted:

Yeah, it's sort of semi-open world, and you spend a fair amount of time in a boat. Some of the best dialogue in the game is Kratos telling allegorical stories of his own past ("There was… a horse. The horse sought vengeance upon his enemy, a stag..." etc.). Alot of them are really funny.

Oh interesting. I assumed it was like an on rails level based kind of game.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I like the part where god son tries to talk a lot but god dad tells him to shut the gently caress up.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Nu GOW was in my top 5 PS4 games and NG+ on ps5 is on my to do list after I'm done with nioh 2, as long as that's before returnal is out

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Casnorf posting as both Austin Powers Zamboni and Austin Powers Security Guard

Lmao

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Casnorf posted:

just steamroller that joke

boooo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Days gone ends with unskippable credits.
When they make the sequel i hope its 15 good hours and not 60 baffling ones

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Soysaucebeast posted:

Man is anyone else having issues syncing their trophies? I started playing Control about a week or so ago (holy poo poo how did I sleep on this one? It is entirely my jam) and ever since then trophies just will not sync. It gives me error NP-103374-8 but as far as I can tell that's just a generic code. Googling just showed some reddit posts having the same issue with Persona Strikers but then it magically starts working after a day or two. This has persisted for me through multiple complete reboots, logging in and out of my account, disconnecting and reconnecting from the internet, playing a different game, and swapping users. It's weird though because on the PlayStation app and my boyfriends account it shows the proper trophies, so I think it is syncing? I dunno it's odd.

Anyone else having the issue and know how to fix it though?

PSN has had some issues for about the last 36 hours (https://status.playstation.com/). Several games I have been playing aren't able to connect to servers, and I had issues when I was trying to sync trophies yesterday, so it could be that?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

dag, what do i have to do to get that Kulve Taroth to stay around an fight? It's hard enough to just avoid getting 1-shot by his various attacks when I'm trying to be aggressive :argh:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
so can i buy a ps5 in a store yet or do i still have to pay $700 to some fuckwad on ebay

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

DELETE CASCADE posted:

so can i buy a ps5 in a store yet or do i still have to pay $700 to some fuckwad on ebay

the latter, or f5

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

DELETE CASCADE posted:

I would not be surprised if it is basically impossible to buy them easily in stores for the rest of this year. Demand is still incredibly high and will be worse by the end of the year, there are supply issues because of COVID. Your best bet is probably in the summer?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

dag, what do i have to do to get that Kulve Taroth to stay around an fight? It's hard enough to just avoid getting 1-shot by his various attacks when I'm trying to be aggressive :argh:

Break da horns off him i think. Its been a long time

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Someone ITT was saying that there is like a certain component or chipset that is very expensive and time consuming to produce and that will effectively bottleneck PS5 console production, but I haven’t the faintest idea how real that is.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Break da horns off him i think. Its been a long time

I mean I get that, but on multiple occasions we 4 peeps and I just think the damage threshold is much higher on the Slay quest, not to mention she can 1shot you with most attacks. Back in the original siege she very rarely escaped in phase 2. I don't get it :shrug:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Try the foolproof technique of being carried by random japanese players

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

DELETE CASCADE posted:

I got a Twitter alert, opened my best buy app, and purchased a ps5 in like 3 minutes earlier this week. That's basically all you have to do and you should have one in a few weeks max.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My no shield, rollman dark souls 3 run lasted until Pontiff Sullivan when I was reminded that shields do indeed, own. That dude has no respect for iframes but you can just block him and walk around and stab him in the rear end so easy. Shield on my back from here on out. I'm not scrambling from arrows or trying to squeeze into 20 hit combos anymore. You can just slap your sword on my shield and I'll stab you in dick when it staggers you as god intended. Blessed shield.

E: Also anor londo is still impossible to go 2 minutes without getting invaded. Just annoyed the absolute gently caress out of some pvp lord for 20 straight minutes because I was extremely not in the mood to get invaded and I'm running a PVE build, so I just made him waste items on me forever. Made sure he ran out of resin and that anti estus potion before I let him do me in.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Feb 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Try the foolproof technique of being carried by random japanese players

but i like goons

Only registered members can see post attachments!