Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Everyone posted:

Which is sad because now I know there's an alternate dimension of Star Wars with ...and Sean Connery as Wedge Antilles.

You could also picture Darth Vader as having an English country accent, since David Prowse, his physical actor, had a regional accent and thought for most of production that he'd be the one voicing Vader going off urban legend. You can hear a bit of his spoken voice in clips like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQFho0_G1VI. Which, I'm not surprised that they replaced his voice honestly, since his voice doesn't have the depth and gravitas associated with Vader at the very least. It's hard to know how it'd be received when you know what it could be, but it doesn't seem nearly as menacing or iconic at the very least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

tsob posted:

You could also picture Darth Vader as having an English country accent, since David Prowse, his physical actor, had a regional accent and thought for most of production that he'd be the one voicing Vader going off urban legend. You can hear a bit of his spoken voice in clips like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQFho0_G1VI. Which, I'm not surprised that they replaced his voice honestly, since his voice doesn't have the depth and gravitas associated with Vader at the very least. It's hard to know how it'd be received when you know what it could be, but it doesn't seem nearly as menacing or iconic at the very least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hjhJlIIf1w

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Everyone posted:

Which is sad because now I know there's an alternate dimension of Star Wars with ...and Sean Connery as Wedge Antilles.

I’m afraid your plansh for galactic dominashon are shadly mishtaken, Emperor Palpatine.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TheCenturion posted:

I’m afraid your plansh for galactic dominashon are shadly mishtaken, Emperor Palpatine.

I'll admit. I read this like Billy Quizboy before realizing it was supposed to be Connery.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I always liked that Red Leader was from the southern part of the galaxy. I also oddly remember Pops, the last Y-wing pilot to bite it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This is a dumb humble brag I've never shared anywhere else because SW threads on SA are bad but I was childhood friends with JEJ's son. We went to the same summer camp and after a couple months of him and I hanging out almost every single day, he was like "Hey my mom says its cool if you sleep over, but you gotta know something first, my dad's in movies so just be cool about it, I dont really like talking about it". I was 15 and he was 17ish.

JEJ's wife was a very pale, snow white dove of a woman and his son was just an extremely pasty kid with curly hair and I just thought he was Jewish like me. Anyways he's like "my dad is Darth Vader" and I was like... whatever dude cool, like he meant his dad was a bad guy or a mean dad. I knew he was very wealthy, and went to private school in Poughkeepsie, NY, but I was too young and sheltered to just accept that my very white friend was Mufasa's kid.

Anyway Saturday morning he drives over and grabs me and my stuff and we drove an hour out into the country and his house is a huge gated mansion and we park and go inside and James Earl Jones is just sitting at the kitchen table. it's like 11 AM and he's in a wifebeater and black sweats and he's eating a giant bowl of cheerios and watching one of those little kitchen TV's that absolutely everyone had in the 90's. I breeze through the introductions and try not to stare or be too chatty. He doesn't sound like Vader up close, and he's so loving tall, even sitting down, but I have watched The Sandlot like 50 times and i'm just barely not totally starstruck. His wife is getting ready for work and she swoops over to smooch Flynn, their son, on the cheek and tells us not to spend the whole weekend watching anime, and that she made a huge tray of baked mac and chicken wings for us for the weekend so we shouldn't need to order out.

To capstone the entire thing in the most surreal way possible, a Verizon commercial pops on the TV and of course its the middle/end of the JEJ ad campaign where he's a cowboy and he watches himself and just grimaces and shakes his head and Flynn's like "i told you astronaut was cooler, you shoulda done astronaut", and then we go upstairs and write Kingdom Hearts fanfiction for the next 16 hours.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Bust Rodd posted:

This is a dumb humble brag I've never shared anywhere else because SW threads on SA are bad but I was childhood friends with JEJ's son. We went to the same summer camp and after a couple months of him and I hanging out almost every single day, he was like "Hey my mom says its cool if you sleep over, but you gotta know something first, my dad's in movies so just be cool about it, I dont really like talking about it". I was 15 and he was 17ish.

JEJ's wife was a very pale, snow white dove of a woman and his son was just an extremely pasty kid with curly hair and I just thought he was Jewish like me. Anyways he's like "my dad is Darth Vader" and I was like... whatever dude cool, like he meant his dad was a bad guy or a mean dad. I knew he was very wealthy, and went to private school in Poughkeepsie, NY, but I was too young and sheltered to just accept that my very white friend was Mufasa's kid.

Anyway Saturday morning he drives over and grabs me and my stuff and we drove an hour out into the country and his house is a huge gated mansion and we park and go inside and James Earl Jones is just sitting at the kitchen table. it's like 11 AM and he's in a wifebeater and black sweats and he's eating a giant bowl of cheerios and watching one of those little kitchen TV's that absolutely everyone had in the 90's. I breeze through the introductions and try not to stare or be too chatty. He doesn't sound like Vader up close, and he's so loving tall, even sitting down, but I have watched The Sandlot like 50 times and i'm just barely not totally starstruck. His wife is getting ready for work and she swoops over to smooch Flynn, their son, on the cheek and tells us not to spend the whole weekend watching anime, and that she made a huge tray of baked mac and chicken wings for us for the weekend so we shouldn't need to order out.

To capstone the entire thing in the most surreal way possible, a Verizon commercial pops on the TV and of course its the middle/end of the JEJ ad campaign where he's a cowboy and he watches himself and just grimaces and shakes his head and Flynn's like "i told you astronaut was cooler, you shoulda done astronaut", and then we go upstairs and write Kingdom Hearts fanfiction for the next 16 hours.

This owns.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

This is amazingly cool. Thank you for sharing.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

nine-gear crow posted:

There's like at least three different unrelated Antilles'es in the mainline Star Wars saga: Wedge Antilles, Bail Antilles (senator from Alderaan before Bail Organa--also "Bail" is like Star Wars's version of John), and then Captain Antilles of the Tantive IV.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Biggs was also a...bigger...character in the novelisation (which was based on the earlier drafts).

That's the kind of playground space I'm interested in. Vader in the volcano. Biggs is a thing, way outsized vs what was on screen. Wedge . . . exists.

That's like playground metis. I want to contrast that with poo poo we know because of the internet like missing scenes. Or like Bunny guy from the comics. Nobody talked about bunny guy from the comics.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The old children's books where Luke spends time with his friends and enjoys racing through Begger's Canyon, threading the eye of the Needle rock formation and all that fun stuff were a huge part of my childhood

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

Thank you for giving me this interesting story to read while I pooped. It was great.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Bust Rodd posted:

gently caress him being Vader and all. He was just the voice... I would have been more impressed if he lived in character as Thulsa Doom and asked you if you knew the riddle of steel. Just say'in.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The best Vader video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A0rwG39Jzk

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

gently caress him being Vader and all. He was just the voice... I would have been more impressed if he lived in character as Thulsa Doom and asked you if you knew the riddle of steel. Just say'in.

Should of walked in the kitchen and yelled WTF THAT AIN'T HAYDEN CHRISTENSEN

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
Okay tried watching Star Wars Resistance.

Does it get better?

Technically not bad, but it feels to Rebels not unlike Avengers Assembled to Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

shades of eternity posted:

Does it get better?

Technically not bad, but it feels to Rebels not unlike Avengers Assembled to Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

Pretty sure this is the series that is universally proclaimed as rear end by everybody on the forums in all the Star Wars threads.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Just found out Henry Cavill and Gina Carano used to date and I’m having a really hard time processing that because Hank is a gamer and I like him and his huge juicy butt

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Does it get better?

It's not quite rear end as Cartoon said but I think this is a 100% on-point take.

It's okay but never comes close to Rebels' highs.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Just found out Henry Cavill and Gina Carano used to date and I’m having a really hard time processing that because Hank is a gamer and I like him and his huge juicy butt

What is there to process? Is tainted by association a thing now?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

TheCenturion posted:

Turns out a couple of my ex-girlfriends became huge chuds/Trumpkins over the last few years, so I guess I might as well get a MAGA hat and head to CPAC now. Sorry guys :sigh:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

TheCenturion posted:

If I found out a friend of mine used to date a transphobic Nazi yeah I’d have some questions, like “what did they talk about?” or “I wonder what else they have in common?”. It might have been a strictly “hot people loving” scenario but maybe they hung out and exchanged anti-Semitic memes about cancel culture, I dunno.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Well the operative phrase here is clearly “used to”, as in “no longer”, so I’m guessing they was something about her (:thunk:) that he didn’t find appealing and they broke it off.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

If I found out a friend of mine used to date a transphobic Nazi yeah I’d have some questions, like “what did they talk about?” or “I wonder what else they have in common?”. It might have been a strictly “hot people loving” scenario but maybe they hung out and exchanged anti-Semitic memes about cancel culture, I dunno.

Isn’t the operative thing here “used to date?”

Is there no idea that somebody might have fallen into CHUDdiness later in life?

Are we into Calvinist “you’re born CHUD or pure?”

Is there now CHUD quantum? You’re allowed one CHUD grandparent, or you’re instantly untouchable?

What if you have a CHUD sibling? Are you now written off as a “bad seed, runs in the family?”

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 28, 2021

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Bust Rodd posted:

That's an awful lot of conclusions to immediately jump to. They dated on and off in 2012-2013, literally almost a decade ago.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

TheCenturion posted:

Isn’t the operative thing here “used to date?”

Is there no idea that somebody might have fallen into CHUDdiness later in life?

Are we into Calvinist “you’re born CHUD or pure?”

Is there now CHUD quantum? You’re allowed one CHUD grandparent, or you’re instantly untouchable?

You don't have to imagine anything dude, we know for a fact that Carano was raised the daughter of a conservative GOP Vegas pit boss with a silver spoon in her mouth. Even if her professional brain trauma made it worse, are you really that curious what a rich, conservative white woman from Nevada thinks about social issues?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I don’t give a poo poo about who Gina Carano hosed in the past.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah, but there's a difference between "Henry Cavill" and "a friend of mine." One is a person you know in real life, one is a person who plays pretend for a paycheck. I think that's where the confusion over your "processing" remark came from.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

"The sins of the ex-girlfriend shall follow you for 10 generations."

How many dozens of pages will be dedicated to someone that was fired and isn't even involved in SW anymore?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

spacetoaster posted:

"The sins of the ex-girlfriend shall follow you for 10 generations."

How many dozens of pages will be dedicated to someone that was fired and isn't even involved in SW anymore?

Her name is literally the title of the thread

vv I didn't say Hank is cancelled, I said I like Hank and I hope he's not like her. all of my posts are on this page and I never once say anything to the effect, you can all just settle down, lmao, i said he was hot and I liked him

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 28, 2021

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That's some prime bullshit to put out there - has Cavill expressed ANY loving bullshit on the level of Carano? Not in the public eye. So why burn him cause he once dated someone then it was broken off?

loving childish bullshit. Grow the gently caress up. Maybe call up Jones son and see how he's doing.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

Everything in both the old and new EU has delighted in treating Greedo like poo poo. A lot of the time trying to catch Han Solo was his first big job and everything :(
A bounty hunter that is willing to sit down and have a conversation with his bounty without insisting that he keep his hands in clear view was never going to survive for a second job.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Does it get better?

It doesn't really get any better imo. There's a couple of episodes that are high(ish) points, but they go right back to slapstick

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Inferior Third Season posted:

A bounty hunter that is willing to sit down and have a conversation with his bounty without insisting that he keep his hands in clear view was never going to survive for a second job.

The Mandalorian early episodes actually put things in perspective, since most bounty targets are likely to be basically petty crooks, embezzlers or otherwise people who were dumb and/or unlucky enough to get on a wealthy rear end in a top hat's bad side.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Mandalorian early episodes actually put things in perspective, since most bounty targets are likely to be basically petty crooks, embezzlers or otherwise people who were dumb and/or unlucky enough to get on a wealthy rear end in a top hat's bad side.

Right. Not typically someone who would shoot first like Han whose dosier more than likely said “smuggler, low risk, incompetent”.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Then again, as a bounty hunter you should be prepared for anything. A rookie mistake that cost Greedo. :(

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Azhais posted:

It doesn't really get any better imo. There's a couple of episodes that are high(ish) points, but they go right back to slapstick
The end of season one gets your hopes up when they actually deal with pretty big concepts for a kid's show, but yeah, they never follow through.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Does it get better?

It firmly remains mediocre throughout, although it tends to hit its stride in the second half of both seasons (14-21 in S1, 11-19 in S2)

Not really a priority watch, but it helps kill time between waiting for other Star Wars shows to come out

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

You don't have to imagine anything dude, we know for a fact that Carano was raised the daughter of a conservative GOP Vegas pit boss with a silver spoon in her mouth. Even if her professional brain trauma made it worse, are you really that curious what a rich, conservative white woman from Nevada thinks about social issues?

Right, so blood quantum is, in fact, a thing. Political leanings are genetic, and she’s whit, case closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Celebrity "relationships" are also quite often all but arranged marriages, with a big factor determining who you're dating being who your publicist and agent think it would be good for your image to be seen with.