Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
The tail droop I am wondering about. She always kept her tail high and floofy before, now it hangs with a small arch at the base. But she lets me play with it and brush it, no sounds of pain or pulling away. Did she hurt her tail, gently caress up her lower spine, or is it a combo of everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Anyone know how long it’ll take my cat to “recognize” her brother after a bath? Luckily neither of them are very aggressive so she’s just been handing out nose bops and hisses.

It’d be more funny if he didn’t looks so confused and sad that his sister suddenly hates him. He’s been laying in all of his usual spots but I guess he doesn’t smell enough like rear end for it to register.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Queen Victorian posted:

This has evolved into this... orthodox ritual performed by my husband in which he plays with the kitties for like half an hour until they are completely and utterly worn out and insists they need to concentrate and poo poo (like got upset when I popped in one time to say goodnight because I broke their concentration :yikes:). They’re just kittens who need some energy drained, not dogs doing agility training, so I’m wondering if the seriousness or intensity is necessary.

It really isn't, he should chill. They'll be fine.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

A talking coyote posted:

Anyone know how long it’ll take my cat to “recognize” her brother after a bath? Luckily neither of them are very aggressive so she’s just been handing out nose bops and hisses.

It’d be more funny if he didn’t looks so confused and sad that his sister suddenly hates him. He’s been laying in all of his usual spots but I guess he doesn’t smell enough like rear end for it to register.

Give em a day or two and things will be normal again. Always happens when one of my cats goes to the vet -- Meowci gets very hissy and upset with the poor confused victim.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Any recs for automatic feeders? We were free-feeding, but Ollie can't handle it. He is becoming a chonk at the ripe old age of 10 months. We switched to feeding a set amount through the day, but he then goes after the food container , or knocks his dish around, or just acts like a jerk in the kitchen until we come to see what he is doing. I am hoping if we switch him to auto, he will learn that food comes from robots that we don't control and will knock like 1% less stuff off the counter.

I know he will knock even more stuff off the counter, but at least he will live longer, unable to constantly gorge himself to death.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

HungryMedusa posted:

Any recs for automatic feeders? We were free-feeding, but Ollie can't handle it. He is becoming a chonk at the ripe old age of 10 months. We switched to feeding a set amount through the day, but he then goes after the food container , or knocks his dish around, or just acts like a jerk in the kitchen until we come to see what he is doing. I am hoping if we switch him to auto, he will learn that food comes from robots that we don't control and will knock like 1% less stuff off the counter.

I know he will knock even more stuff off the counter, but at least he will live longer, unable to constantly gorge himself to death.

I use the Arf Pets automatic feeder (the one without wifi) and it's nice to have. Terry is a scarfer-barfer so I need to give him smaller portions and having food come from the robot makes him less annoying towards me. It looks like there are a bunch of similar feeders on Amazon that probably work fine too, but I have found this one to be pretty reliable. I still wouldn't leave my cat for more than a night, because there is always the possibility of jamming or another mechanical failure.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Found blood in my cat's pee the other day and had to take him to the emergency vet.

$750 later and he's had an ultrasound, urinalysis and has antibiotics and pain meds. It was a bacterial infection.

Just a reminder to all that if your male cat has pee in his blood that is an emergency and he needs to be seen right away.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

feedmegin posted:

It really isn't, he should chill. They'll be fine.

Yeah this has been my take all along, but I’ve second guessing myself because this is my first time with exclusively indoor cats.

Thanks y’all in general for sharing nightly routines. I’m hoping that once we finish catproofing our bedroom and start letting the kittens sleep with us my husband can start to chill on the intense exercise regimen. So far I’ve not pushed back very hard because it’s no skin off my back and the kittens get extra exercise and my husband has more bonding time, but now I’m worried it’s becoming some big less-than-fun obligation for him.

There was a My Cat From Hell with a routine that had gotten out of hand and all it did was cause arguments, inconvenience, and mild sleep deprivation for the humans while not really doing much of anything for the cats - cats stopped getting along so they started these rotating shifts so each cat would have equal but separate access to the full house while the other would stay in its respective bedroom. One of the shift changes was 2am or something absurd so they’d start fighting about having to do it on the dot so it would be fair to the cats. :psyduck: Jackson Galaxy was basically like “why the gently caress are you doing this? Cat doesn’t give a poo poo about not getting living room time at 2am”.

Definitely don’t want to get to the point of taking the routine too seriously to the point where it stops being questioned.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah basically it's more for him than the cats, if it's something he enjoys as part of his before bed routine that's fine but he shouldn't get too hung up on it.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

WhatEvil posted:

Found blood in my cat's pee the other day and had to take him to the emergency vet.

$750 later and he's had an ultrasound, urinalysis and has antibiotics and pain meds. It was a bacterial infection.

Just a reminder to all that if your male cat has pee in his blood that is an emergency and he needs to be seen right away.

How's he doing?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Cowslips Warren posted:

The tail droop I am wondering about. She always kept her tail high and floofy before, now it hangs with a small arch at the base. But she lets me play with it and brush it, no sounds of pain or pulling away. Did she hurt her tail, gently caress up her lower spine, or is it a combo of everything?

Happened to my cat - she jumped onto the bed and missed (caught a front paw badly in the sheets so couldn't land properly and landed on her butt badly).

Took her to the vet, nothing physically wrong, but same symptoms as you described with no additional info. After searching, it's evidently nerve damage and not that uncommon an injury but most likely the tail will never be the same. The tail nerve bundle goes along the spine and basically can get pulled/damaged without additional physical damage.

6mo later and our cat can move her tail around some, but I'd put it at 75% returned.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I'm going to be moving soon. Morgana already packed herself in.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

important Kira update:

she has settled in nicely! the fosters at Toronto Cat Rescue did a great job, she is a total sweetheart and only has baseline levels of rear end in a top hat Cat behaviour :buddy:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Lainey's first time on a lap, 3 1/2 weeks since she came home

DrThief
Jan 6, 2001

Our 10 month old female cat has started getting extremely anxious every time i go to the bathroom. She will sit behind the door, scratching at it, meowing desperately. She'll stay there until i get out at which point she'll start jumping around excited, grabbing my leg and begging to get petted. It's baffling. She didn't do that until about a month ago.

The funniest part is she only does this when I go into the bathroom, and doesn't give a single whisker when my girlfriend does, much to her disappointment.

Any ideas? Does she think that I'm abandoning her? Or is she afraid i might drown in the toilet water?

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Sounds like you've got a cat there, alright!

One of the great joys of cat ownership is the lovably inexplicable and bizarre things these furry weirdos get up to. A surprising number of these quirks involve bathrooms - go figure! Have you tried just letting her into the bathroom? My own cat of 10 years used to do something similar - mostly because for years she'd follow me around from room to room like a dog at heel. I'd just let her sit and observe when I was on the toilet, since she was so intent on never allowing a door to separate us if she could help it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

No Closed Doors is like rule 0 of having a cat

If rear end in a top hat gets closed out of the bedroom while we're asleep he just straight up starts knocking things off shelves until it opens and he gets to come inside for 5 seconds before walking away

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I actually have a weird question concerning something my cat does...

So, I smoke spliffs, which is a mixture of tobacco and cannabis -a bad habit, but not that unusual. The odd thing is, after I come back inside from smoking one of these, my cat Jackie is absolutely insistent about her need to spend at least ~3 minutes or so voraciously licking clean the two forefingers and thumb of my right hand - or the three digits that come in contact with the spliff when I smoke it, and thus smell the worst. When she's done, my fingers are extremely slimy and gross but usually do not smell like smoke anymore, at least. She doesn't always do this, but when she decides to she is... insistent about it. She will go as far as forcefully holding my hand down with her paws while licking.

Anyway, I guess I have always sort of wondered whether she does this because she hates the smell, or likes the smell. I would think it's because she dislikes it, but then she only gets that intense and insistent about this one smell - good or bad - so I really can't say.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

kaworu posted:

I actually have a weird question concerning something my cat does...

So, I smoke spliffs, which is a mixture of tobacco and cannabis -a bad habit, but not that unusual. The odd thing is, after I come back inside from smoking one of these, my cat Jackie is absolutely insistent about her need to spend at least ~3 minutes or so voraciously licking clean the two forefingers and thumb of my right hand - or the three digits that come in contact with the spliff when I smoke it, and thus smell the worst. When she's done, my fingers are extremely slimy and gross but usually do not smell like smoke anymore, at least. She doesn't always do this, but when she decides to she is... insistent about it. She will go as far as forcefully holding my hand down with her paws while licking.

Anyway, I guess I have always sort of wondered whether she does this because she hates the smell, or likes the smell. I would think it's because she dislikes it, but then she only gets that intense and insistent about this one smell - good or bad - so I really can't say.

I'm no expert, but it seems to me that she smells that you're "dirty" and wants to clean you because grooming is what cats do when they're close?

Then again, if I so much as touch deli meat my kitten will spend the next hour trying to lick the taste off my fingers so maybe your cat just really, really loves spliffs?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

my 9-month-old cat is a 12-pound scarf much of the time (she still is not done growing because maine coon mix lmfao she's gonna be like 15 fuckin pounds)

she re-taught this behavior to my senior cat, who actually also used to do this like a decade ago (oh god she's so old :ohdear:) but stopped as she got older

cats are cool and i recommend them, they keep you warm and happy

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
:( i switched my cats back to a food that they used to eat and now they have GERD. my poor dudes have trouble meowing from the reflux.

the vet prescribed some meds and i think they’re doing better? it makes me so sad knowing that they’re in pain. the house is so quiet, too. :smith:

Archismo
Nov 13, 2019
So, question. I saw in the nutrition thread a post about how that stuff is "outdated" now; is grain free no longer the ideal thing? What is?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Archismo posted:

So, question. I saw in the nutrition thread a post about how that stuff is "outdated" now; is grain free no longer the ideal thing? What is?

For cats its fine. If your cat is doing well on their food now, no reason to change. Its worth asking your vet about though as they should know your cat best.

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 26, 2021

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I've been getting Facebook ads for "tailored" cat foods, is this worth looking into or is it just a gimmick to justify it being four times as expensive?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Julio Cruz posted:

I've been getting Facebook ads for "tailored" cat foods, is this worth looking into or is it just a gimmick to justify it being four times as expensive?

Just a gimmick. Your cats won't and don't care.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

My cat likes to eat bugs, is there a bug flavored food?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

owls or something posted:

My cat likes to eat bugs, is there a bug flavored food?

Maybe buy some crickets and give them a toy that's also a snack!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Man, my cat friggin HATES the foghorn sound in that one Arby's commercial about their fish sandwich.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Maybe buy some crickets and give them a toy that's also a snack!

The snack of choice seems to be murdering silverfish in the bathroom.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

owls or something posted:

The snack of choice seems to be murdering silverfish in the bathroom.

Catching bugs is one of the most useful features of the cat (given that we don't have mice in the house). But she's a bit too brave and tries to catch stink bugs and bees as well.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

After being scared off by the price, an upcoming Covid concert refund and boredom of scooping is making me look at the litter robot properly. It's very tempting, and the testimonials in this thread have all been glowing. I've had a look at how it works, my only question is related to tracking. Currently we use the non-clumping absorbent litter, because it doesn't really track, more just scatters around the box a bit. Of course the Robot can't use that type, so what are people's experiences with tracking of the clumping stuff? Does the robot-ness help keep it inside?

Won't be doing it until they're both sleeping in the same room, so I've got a few months yet to obsessively research things :v:

E: and what does the Wifi one do, and is it worth an extra €70?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bobstar posted:

After being scared off by the price, an upcoming Covid concert refund and boredom of scooping is making me look at the litter robot properly. It's very tempting, and the testimonials in this thread have all been glowing. I've had a look at how it works, my only question is related to tracking. Currently we use the non-clumping absorbent litter, because it doesn't really track, more just scatters around the box a bit. Of course the Robot can't use that type, so what are people's experiences with tracking of the clumping stuff? Does the robot-ness help keep it inside?

Won't be doing it until they're both sleeping in the same room, so I've got a few months yet to obsessively research things :v:

E: and what does the Wifi one do, and is it worth an extra €70?

We got the fat ramp because Lt Bean's got no ups and it catches a bunch of litter and actually has reduced the tracked poo poo as a result

I think most of it comes from rear end in a top hat launching himself out of the robot like a rocket though

The wifi syncs with your phone and tells you things like when it's cycling, if it's full, if the cat drug a toy in there and it's currently stuck, if you overfilled the thing and caused it to stuck. i would say it's worth it?

Good ball by Dixon
Oct 18, 2012
I adopted two cats from a shelter a week ago, two year old siblings male and female sterilized, indoor cats. The shelter wanted them adopted as a pair.
Things have been going okay and the female lets me stroke her now but her brother sometimes attacks her from behind and bites her neck, no damage but she clearly doesn't like it and will twist away and retaliate.
Since she's allowed me to stroke her her brother has started to come over to us while I'm stroking her and attack her.
As I said there seems to be no damage and they are friends again after a while but why does he attack her when she's with me? And can/should I do anything?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I feel like the LR does it's best to keep tracking to a minimum between the height of the opening, the fact it's mostly enclosed, and the fact the depression where the litter rests is pretty deep. But this will depend on your cats' behavior. The little step ramp helps because if they are gonna track litter they'll have to walk over those steps and they're designed to keep litter on them and not the floor. This does NOT help if your cats are sometimes inclined to rocket out of the litterbox like some sort of poo poo-propelled ICBM, scattering litter and possibly turds in the process. No, my cats aren't known for doing that, why do you ask :argh:

Good ball by Dixon posted:

I adopted two cats from a shelter a week ago, two year old siblings male and female sterilized, indoor cats. The shelter wanted them adopted as a pair.
Things have been going okay and the female lets me stroke her now but her brother sometimes attacks her from behind and bites her neck, no damage but she clearly doesn't like it and will twist away and retaliate.
Since she's allowed me to stroke her her brother has started to come over to us while I'm stroking her and attack her.
As I said there seems to be no damage and they are friends again after a while but why does he attack her when she's with me? And can/should I do anything?
Does the male want to sit on your lap? I have two boys that will compete to sit on my lap and they'll fight literally on my lap. Does he do it any other times? You may want to play with them a bit and see if it's just excess energy. Otherwise...they're not falling out over it, so you can probably let them figure it out on their own.

Good ball by Dixon
Oct 18, 2012

kw0134 posted:

Does the male want to sit on your lap? I have two boys that will compete to sit on my lap and they'll fight literally on my lap. Does he do it any other times? You may want to play with them a bit and see if it's just excess energy. Otherwise...they're not falling out over it, so you can probably let them figure it out on their own.
He won't let me touch him yet, eating treats out of my hand is as far as he will go. He has attacked her other times but when she comes to me he will come over and wait for her to leave me and gets distracted before he attacks so it looks like he's planning it for a few minutes.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Oh, it sounds like he wants to play. Cats play fight all the time, do they make any loud sounds while this is happening? Given that they're otherwise not put off by each other afterwards seems like it's something she's actually tolerating. I have a female that does not take to playing very well (not uncommon with females after a certain age) and will hiss at my smaller boy when he gets too close. Then he fights the other male and they have a tumble for a few minutes. This is basically them.

No claws, no blood, no screaming, no problem.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Good ball by Dixon posted:

now but her brother sometimes attacks her from behind and bites her neck, no damage but she clearly doesn't like it and will twist away and retaliate.

This bit sounds like dominance behavior (or sexual behavior) to me. When an intact male does it to an in heat female it signals sexy times, otherwise it's just dominant jerk behavior that in my experience is always followed by "gently caress you get off me". If they are two years old and they've been fixed for a while it shouldn't be misplaced sexual behavior.

My guess is the change of venue and having different humans around is leading the boy to think he needs to renegotiate the social pecking order. If so it should settle down in a few weeks as they calm down in the new setting.

Like others have said, if there's no blood and nobody seems terrified, just annoyed, it is normal cat stuff and no need to worry.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

One of my cats has been missing since Tuesday and I am literally developing gray hairs. I have scoured the neighborhood multiple times every day since (specially early in the morning and late evenings, which gets pretty scary because this is a pretty rough neighborhood and there are outlying slums, which I have also gone through), mapping where I've gone to (and in which times) and marking every cat colony I've identified, I have literally searched for him in every street and abandoned terrain in a radius of 500m of my home. I've put up colored posters (offering rewards) on every market, grocery and pet store in the neighborhood and have spoken to everyone in my block and surrounding blocks, plus some people I've seen walking with their pets and every old person I've observed hanging out by their porch, giving all of them pamphlets with our contact info and pictures of the cat. We've mobilized social media (including groups focused on pets and their rescues) and everyone I personally know in the neighborhood. I have even resorted to shaking a ration box late at night in the hope the sound will travel far, it did draw in a lot of cats, who I fed, but not mine. I have also been leaving my sweaty clothes and shoes outside and one of the litter boxes, but since we have other cats (some he is friendly with, others not), I am not sure how helpful the latter is.

There have been some false positives, which at least makes me hopeful that some people are keeping their eyes open, but I've also had false hints from people who wanted some small change for "helping". There was an old man that seemed credible (as in he was curious and wanting to confirm information, plus mentioned things that weren't obvious from the posters) who claimed to have seen him yesterday morning, but I am now wondering if he was pulling my leg and I was just too desperate to realize. I worry that he has had an accident and I will never even find the body or that some bastard took him and has no intention of contacting us (or took him and lives in an entirely different neighborhood or city), he's somewhat distinct looking, so it is possible that he was stolen (not any pedigree breed, just a gorgeous mix of Siamese and Brazilian Shorthair, he can also be easily identified by a scar in his left eye from when I originally rescued him from a literal guter as a baby).

He's very much an indoor cat, though we have a garden and a tall wall, so we noticed really quickly that he was gone when he didn't show up to eat in the morning. One year and a half old, castrated, vaccinated, kinda chomky and clumsy, so not really a cat that would wander far even if he got to the other side of the wall. We've looked at anything that could potentially hide a cat at our home and in some of the friendlier neighbors, while asking the others to keep their eyes and ears peeled.

Anyways, this is not a vent, I am just outlying the situation and what we've done and are trying, I will not stop searching for him. Are there any other recommended approaches or courses of action? The local radio stations don't have a specific spot for missing pets.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

ZearothK posted:

Anyways, this is not a vent, I am just outlying the situation and what we've done and are trying, I will not stop searching for him. Are there any other recommended approaches or courses of action? The local radio stations don't have a specific spot for missing pets.

I think there's not much more you can do. One thing I've noticed is that "lost cat" posters I've seen have always urged people to look in their garages and cellars, where the cat might seek shelter without being noticed.

I hope you find him!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good ball by Dixon
Oct 18, 2012
Thanks for the answers, I will let them work i out.