Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
Trying to run a 12 player Deep Stone Crypt raid today (Saturday). The glitch seems pretty straightforward. Any tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

McLarenF1 posted:

Trying to run a 12 player Deep Stone Crypt raid today (Saturday). The glitch seems pretty straightforward. Any tips?

Make sure to control comms during your callouts, as 12 people is surprisingly more hectic and callouts can get lost. Especially for part 1 and 2, since doing the mechanic wrong can insta-wipe.

Atraks-1 will melt against swords. The 10-2 strat seems to be the most effective in getting him down to final stand. Make sure your operator sends back down all the drop pods to get the rest of your piranha swarm up to space.

Sometime after depositing nukes, you may be left with one over after the path below opens up. We didn't see what happened if you let this nuke detonate because we passed it between us and it disappeared after the station crashed.

Still bring a Divinity. Our team was so effective at killing Taniks that we knocked down his health bar, he teleported away from center, then just flopped down dead.

Have fun.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

We tried a to get it to work for a oversized dungeon group without success but worked for raid within 2-3 tries.

We had a American leader and Australian member in each group for whatever that diversity will affect server latencies and potential grace time on any actions, the join timing seems pretty tight and will take a few tries.

Then go kill some nerds.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

Hobnob posted:

Check for updates - for some reason you get that message (rather than something more useful and descriptive) when you try to use an outdated client.

Yeah trying to figure out what the deal is on my end. It was a fresh install and I did a verify files and it came up fully updated, but I may uninstall and reinstall anyhow just to rule that out.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

RocketRaygun posted:

They deleted planets to remove their asset packages. Those are where the bulk of the content lives, and most packages are pretty hefty (the EDZ asset package is like 4 gigabytes!). However, those packages are reused quite a bit... which is why you hear a lot of "oh it's just reused content"... They add new content by reusing those packs, like using the EDZ content to create the EAZ for Solstice (which was extremely tiny compared to the EDZ asset pack, since it just used the assets in it).
I'd be interested to know more about the file structures, particularly how the patrol areas interact with missions / strikes.

I had assumed that there was a map, and then on top of that objects / structures / hazards that would be flagged to only appear under certain situations - I'm thinking for example of the mothyards and the battlegrounds stuff which would severely gently caress up the New Light questline if it remained there.

I also understand though that this would probably make the map design confusing and slow things down design wise.

The Sepiks strike however seems to have an isolated map through the rocketyards etc which is entirely unconnected to the rest of the patrol map. How does that function? Does it use it's own assets or recycle assets from the patrol zone? How do crucible and gambit maps factor into this?

I'm interested in this stuff because it used to be a big deal in the quake / doom 3 modding era - doom 3 I remember a big thing was using photoshop batch mode to enlarge the textures for a high res look, but a lot of the patches would be criticised for ending up relatively massive and unoptimised when a lot of users were still on 56k.

People used to care about file sizes dagnabbit :corsair:

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

So are tribute chests playlist Battlegrounds only? Gotta get those hammer charges and was hoping to be able to target specific ones... mostly to avoid Ixel on Nessus, because Christ those wyverns. Doesn't seem like the chests generate, though, and of course the challenge doesn't increment either without the playlist.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

SkyeAuroline posted:

So are tribute chests playlist Battlegrounds only? Gotta get those hammer charges and was hoping to be able to target specific ones... mostly to avoid Ixel on Nessus, because Christ those wyverns. Doesn't seem like the chests generate, though, and of course the challenge doesn't increment either without the playlist.
Yeah, playlist only.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Sestze posted:

Yeah, playlist only.

Good to know. One more this week and I hit my challenges.
Gotta say, the "pulse rifles with a compromised mouse hand/arm" experience is not the best. I'll be very happy when I have the NTTE catalyst and can vault it for a while.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

SkyeAuroline posted:

Good to know. One more this week and I hit my challenges.
Gotta say, the "pulse rifles with a compromised mouse hand/arm" experience is not the best. I'll be very happy when I have the NTTE catalyst and can vault it for a while.
A lot of what goes on in a battleground can be easily solved by standing very far away from the opposition, and plinking at range. NTTE's blessed with a pretty crazy range, along with a full auto trigger system, so you can easily stand back and hold down m1 to bullethose cabal. You have two other willing vic- ah, teammates, who will gladly wade into the thick of things and handle nastier stuff. Even bossfights usually have the boss roam to 3 specific locations in an arena, with an occasional dome shield.

The less you have to move, and the less clicking you have to do, the better.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'd be interested to know more about the file structures, particularly how the patrol areas interact with missions / strikes.

I had assumed that there was a map, and then on top of that objects / structures / hazards that would be flagged to only appear under certain situations - I'm thinking for example of the mothyards and the battlegrounds stuff which would severely gently caress up the New Light questline if it remained there.

I also understand though that this would probably make the map design confusing and slow things down design wise.

The Sepiks strike however seems to have an isolated map through the rocketyards etc which is entirely unconnected to the rest of the patrol map. How does that function? Does it use it's own assets or recycle assets from the patrol zone? How do crucible and gambit maps factor into this?

I'm interested in this stuff because it used to be a big deal in the quake / doom 3 modding era - doom 3 I remember a big thing was using photoshop batch mode to enlarge the textures for a high res look, but a lot of the patches would be criticised for ending up relatively massive and unoptimised when a lot of users were still on 56k.

People used to care about file sizes dagnabbit :corsair:

So, PvP and Gambit maps all (for the most part) have their own map packages. All of the meshes, textures, etc in those maps are either duplicated into the map's own package or stored in the Common package. Most of the maps that were removed in Beyond Light were not set up in their own packages, because for some reason Bungie created a bunch of PvP maps that pulled from the planetary packages and when that stuff got removed then those maps broke.

PvE activities, on the other hand, have planetary packages with all of the data in it. They seem to also heavily rely on layering and instancing, so if an activity requires a particular zone to be in a configuration, they load that configuration for you whenever you try to get into that zone. This process is not well understood beyond that it exists, and the layers all exist in various planetary or DLC packages.

As far as I can tell, Devils Lair and SABRE pull from the Cosmodrome packages. They are not isolated. This means that if cosmodrome is ever vaulted, then those strikes would be vaulted too, despite having their own maps technically. I don't know why they did this. Maybe because they intended to add Rocketyard and Grottos to the patrol zones but decided last minute not to? :shrug:

All of the battlegrounds are in their own packages, although they also pull from the world shared packages. It seems like there are some battleground assets (the cabal ships, the defensive emplacements, the giant Caitl banners) that exist in their own seasonal package, but they instance the worlds that they exist on and place the battleground stuff over the top of the instance.

All in all, it does seem like Bungie also cross references packages better now than they used to. Stuff like the Hive Dropships were duplicated between Curse of Osiris and Warmind/Forsaken. There used to be duplicate versions of different tower bits for some reason. Half the cabal ship props were duplicated in different expansions. Season of Opulence basically duplicated most of the Leviathan packages. They never reused stuff, they just duplicated it when they needed to change it. This is very much no longer the case since Beyond Light, and if anything... This is the reason the vaulted all that poo poo. It probably saved the most HD space of anything else they did.

RocketRaygun fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 28, 2021

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

RocketRaygun posted:

All of the battlegrounds are in their own packages, although they also pull from the world shared packages. It seems like there are some battleground assets (the cabal ships, the defensive emplacements, the giant Caitl banners) that exist in their own seasonal package, but they instance the worlds that they exist on and place the battleground stuff over the top of the instance.

There's an active Vex gate in the first Nessus battleground that you can go through, but on the other side the passage is blocked by a forcefield. I'm curious about whether it's something they had to bring over.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

That's from the Red War campaign right? That's where Cayde was trapped by the Vex.

They didn't remove anything from Nessus (or the EDZ). They only removed entire packages as far as I can tell, they didn't remove things inside of packages. They did change formats a bit though. You can probably still find the Wish plate on Nessus too.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Sestze posted:

A lot of what goes on in a battleground can be easily solved by standing very far away from the opposition, and plinking at range. NTTE's blessed with a pretty crazy range, along with a full auto trigger system, so you can easily stand back and hold down m1 to bullethose cabal. You have two other willing vic- ah, teammates, who will gladly wade into the thick of things and handle nastier stuff. Even bossfights usually have the boss roam to 3 specific locations in an arena, with an occasional dome shield.

The less you have to move, and the less clicking you have to do, the better.

That's about the approach I've been taking, though getting the precision hits for the exotic feature to matter has been harder to manage. Not like it seems to do a whole ton right now anyway. Catalyst might help, but this thing's going in the vault for a long time after I have the catalyst.

And boy howdy is Crucible a nightmare like this. Ended up just going back over to Dead Man's Tale to get my 3 completions, at least the aim assist there is generous (though not generous enough for the ">75% precision hit accuracy on all weapons" fuckers going 30+/4-5 k/d to make sense... then again, PC).

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Still can’t sign in.

Reinstalled the game. Made sure my firewall was off and all the ports are forwarded. Verified game integrity. Even went as far as to reset my Ethernet controller drivers (as was a suggestion in the help forums) just in case that solved the issue. I even signed out of Steam and back in just in case it was some weird caching issue of my username.

Still getting a “Cannot connect to the Destiny servers. Click OK to try again” error. So loving frustrating as it worked just fine last time I played in October and I don’t think anything has changed for me other than swapping video cards.

I know they’ve been having server/networking issues but I’ve tried to sign in randomly multiple times today and just get the same error.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
A quick google suggests setting your DNS servers to Google's.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Looking forward to playing later today, I threw my hat back in the ring for serious overchill clan again, if anyone here can press buttan to let me in odd be much happy!

I assume that just playing thru the story so far and then working on item levels is the way to go, as always? Save the powerfuls for as late in the week as possible?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Nope, mash out Powerfuls whenever you want. The only min maxing you wanna do is as you approach 1300 you want to save your Pinnacles for when you are 1297 average.

Then again there are so many Pinnacles in the game right now that strategically using your Pinnacles will probably shave maybe 1-2 resets off hitting 1310.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Today I learned that the cover that comes flying off of a Brig when it hits critical HP levels does in fact, have collision

https://i.imgur.com/DeL72s8.mp4

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Scyantific posted:

Today I learned that the cover that comes flying off of a Brig when it hits critical HP levels does in fact, have collision

https://i.imgur.com/DeL72s8.mp4

Lol that's the classic Halo physics I love

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

RocketRaygun posted:

As far as I can tell, Devils Lair and SABRE pull from the Cosmodrome packages. They are not isolated. This means that if cosmodrome is ever vaulted, then those strikes would be vaulted too, despite having their own maps technically. I don't know why they did this. Maybe because they intended to add Rocketyard and Grottos to the patrol zones but decided last minute not to? :shrug:
If I had to guess it's something to do with the stuff they added for House of Wolves. My memory is fuzzy but didn't they add a bunch of extra areas? There's the colony ship area that led off Devils Lair from TTK and there was a control room that led off from the rocketyard in Wolves i think.

SABER connects to the shore in patrol and the grottos are blocked off with a simple extra wall, but Devil's Lair is currently completely unconnected. Did rocketyard have its own type of public event type that they couldn't unpick from the code? I guess there must be a reason it made it as a strike but not into the patrol area. I suppose we'll never know unless they tell us.

RocketRaygun posted:

They never reused stuff, they just duplicated it when they needed to change it. This is very much no longer the case since Beyond Light, and if anything... This is the reason the vaulted all that poo poo. It probably saved the most HD space of anything else they did.
That's really interesting. I wonder if the problems with new gen consoles and COD has led to a change in design approach, and they are now starting to take file sizes a little more seriously?

Interesting that Mercury and Mars particularly went in their entirety. Weren't those two expansions handled at least in part by other studios? Maybe some part of the working process with the 3rd party studios meant stuff got duplicated and space got wasted.

It was a few generations ago and sub quake 3 graphics at best, but there was a reasonably full working demo FPS I read about called .kkrieger which according to the wiki was only 96k because of the way the data was stored and generated procedurally. Apparently the load times were huge, but I wonder how much that would be reduced on a modern PC with more RAM, faster processor, SSD etc.

I guess as someone else pointed out, it's the difference between storing the animation data and camera references to render a cutscene in-engine, and storing it as badly compressed 4k video.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 28, 2021

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Anyone got a good and concise guide for DSC? I'm really itching to do it and tempted to try pugging or something, but figure I aught to at least know the encounters before I do something like that.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Oxyclean posted:

Anyone got a good and concise guide for DSC? I'm really itching to do it and tempted to try pugging or something, but figure I aught to at least know the encounters before I do something like that.
Fallout does a decent guide (40 minutes or so):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg5-sKYXhRs

Run through it with someone willing to teach you - the serious overchill channel usually has people willing to do it (I know I would help you out!)

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Eej posted:

Nope, mash out Powerfuls whenever you want. The only min maxing you wanna do is as you approach 1300 you want to save your Pinnacles for when you are 1297 average.

Then again there are so many Pinnacles in the game right now that strategically using your Pinnacles will probably shave maybe 1-2 resets off hitting 1310.

Awesome, thanks! I'm good to save a couple resets tbh, but my main goal is a couple new fusions and replacing all my good armor with stuff I can keep using. Looks like the exotics I don't have that I actually want and some catalysts are going to be more or less come by just by playing regularly. Sucks that whisper and outbreak are no go for catas for now, but oh well. Still hoping they iterate on the 1000 voices cata before they release it, but for now it's missing some oomph imo.

Still glad to come back, at least dumpstering old stuff have me lots of mats.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Eej posted:

The weekly pinnacles are pretty reasonable to just do like Powerfuls as you're climbing up there, right? Just now scraping against 1280 myself.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Are the master/legend whatever lost sectors repeatable for good or powerful rewards, or is it a one shot go per reset for the powerful part? It looks like they at least drop cool stuff.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

SkyeAuroline posted:

The weekly pinnacles are pretty reasonable to just do like Powerfuls as you're climbing up there, right? Just now scraping against 1280 myself.
I found the new heroic exo challenge tougher, but I wasn't 1300 when I last tried and didn't have good guns. Might try it again now I'm a bit more powerful.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It was a few generations ago and sub quake 3 graphics at best, but there was a reasonably full working demo FPS I read about called .kkrieger which according to the wiki was only 96k because of the way the data was stored and generated procedurally. Apparently the load times were huge, but I wonder how much that would be reduced on a modern PC with more RAM, faster processor, SSD etc.

.kkrieger ruled for what it was, but in order to replicate it you'd need an entirely new custom toolchain AND constrain your artists to working only with what they can procedurally generate. It's definitely possible, but you'd either need a strong aesthetic to work with the limitations or accept that it'll never match a AAA "just put the vertices where it looks good" approach.

.kkrieger feels kinda like Dwarf Fortress: an artifact from a parallel universe where video games evolved in a different direction.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

PathAsc posted:

Are the master/legend whatever lost sectors repeatable for good or powerful rewards, or is it a one shot go per reset for the powerful part? It looks like they at least drop cool stuff.

You do those for a chance at the new exotic gear (if solo) and the Telesto catalyst if you didn’t get it from EOW. There’s a couple lost sectors on Legend that can be done in less than 5 minutes once you know the enemy spawns.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I stopped playing late 2019, but some friends of mine didn't. If I wanted to run VoG with them once it's available what all would I need to buy / do to do so?

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

PathAsc posted:

loop it as much as you like. Exotics drop as powerfuls in those lost sectors, but only for the slot of the day.

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

I stopped playing late 2019, but some friends of mine didn't. If I wanted to run VoG with them once it's available what all would I need to buy / do to do so?
they haven't mentioned when they're releasing it (like, what season, along with whether or not it comes with a content expansion like witch queen). We're looking at something close to a year in terms of when that'll show up.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

RocketRaygun posted:

So, PvP and Gambit maps all (for the most part) have their own map packages. All of the meshes, textures, etc in those maps are either duplicated into the map's own package or stored in the Common package. Most of the maps that were removed in Beyond Light were not set up in their own packages, because for some reason Bungie created a bunch of PvP maps that pulled from the planetary packages and when that stuff got removed then those maps broke.

I'm curious about Vostok since that was removed but people were able to escape the map and visit the Iron Lords temple iirc since the map is essentially an area pulled from D1 and setup as a Crucible map (and the Iron Lords temple was a social space like the tower/farm/reef). Anything odd with that one that you noticed?

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Interesting that Mercury and Mars particularly went in their entirety. Weren't those two expansions handled at least in part by other studios? Maybe some part of the working process with the 3rd party studios meant stuff got duplicated and space got wasted.

Forsaken was made with the help of Activision's other studios as well. There's also a very noticeable difference in quality between Tangled Shore and the Dreaming City, at least to me, and that's made me curious as to who worked on what. Dreaming City is visually stunning and I suspect that was probably Bungie? Their artists are phenomenal. Since the Forsaken campaign was handled so well from a gameplay perspective (although not much of a looker) I suspect that Tangled Shore was one of the satellite studios. I remember pre-release it was one of the non-Bungie studios that was showing off and talking about the Forsaken campaign.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Vog is coming back next season. You may want to jump back in this season to get yourself reacquainted with things and curate some weapons/armor that look appealing to you.

As far as if you will have to pay any money, I don't know...

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Still fascinated to see how they do the VoG return. They've gone back on the DCV so the assumption that Venus would return (which was already a stretch for season content) is even more unlikely, but recreating it on an existing planet seems like such a tremendous effort and time sink, and they vaulted the planet where this approach would have been most logical (Mercury, with access to VoG via the infinite forest).

I know people think they might remake it for Nessus but that seems like it would be such a huge undertaking and drain on resources. Maybe they'll bring it back as a Venus location and do what they did with the Cosmodrome and wall off the areas of the public space where the raid begins so people can't wander off exploring Venus? There'd need to block off either side of the starting area. Getting to see Venus again would be really nice, though.

And a reeeeeeeeally good excuse to bring back Asylum to Crucible.

Please :negative:

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I think Bungie said worlds first for D2 VOG is raid completion + a list of raid triumphs. So I’m guessing VOG is just getting a facelift.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah new VoG will probably just have Wyverns (and Champions in the Master difficulty, which is another pivot from a D2 design ethos change)

I imagine it'll be launched from orbit a la Prophecy

The actual vault isn't literally on Venus and cutting out the opening spire encounter won't be missed

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

SkyeAuroline posted:

If you're 1280 on a Sunday morning then 1297 is reachable if you have a pile of powerfuls left to do and you decide you wanna play a lot for the next two days but imo you can just pop the pinnacles now and set up for next week for the push past hard cap. Once you're 1300+ most of the yellow stars aren't as important to do and you can take it easy just focusing on pinnacles and the occasional powerful to even out your slots to raise your average to the next tier.

As always, this site will tell you which slot is lagging behind and potentially holding you back from raising your average light (and therefore your pinnacle drop level): https://destiny-power-bars.corke.dev/

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

https://twitter.com/BungieHelp/status/1366111830247051266

In case you're wondering, the issue is people win-trading without actually playing.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
https://twitter.com/TrialsReport/status/1366000329918185475

lol

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Eej posted:

If you're 1280 on a Sunday morning then 1297 is reachable if you have a pile of powerfuls left to do and you decide you wanna play a lot for the next two days but imo you can just pop the pinnacles now and set up for next week for the push past hard cap. Once you're 1300+ most of the yellow stars aren't as important to do and you can take it easy just focusing on pinnacles and the occasional powerful to even out your slots to raise your average to the next tier.

As always, this site will tell you which slot is lagging behind and potentially holding you back from raising your average light (and therefore your pinnacle drop level): https://destiny-power-bars.corke.dev/

Not many left for this weekend, so yeah, just popping what I've got is my main aim atm. Pushed to 1284 from either 1269 or low 1270s in the span of a day or two but that took most of the powerfuls. All I've got left is: Presage (maybe today), weekly Exo (Powerful only, don't have pinnacle unlocked, never done one), DSC (never done), Prophecy (maybe today), the Nightfall rewards (only ever did one last season, didn't go great), Crucible Glory wins, and finishing out Shaxx & Drifter bounties that I'll almost certainly manage. Not gonna push me far enough doing those to hit 1297, I reckon. Especially not having to take frequent multi-hour breaks to let my hand recover. Hate my main hobby being first-person video games right about now.

Appreciate the site rec. Unsurprisingly, my limiters are pretty much what I expected. Could eke out another point if I used my highest LL gear regardless of effectiveness. Surprisingly I can bump my warlock and hunter really high relative to their armor though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007