Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Man, I really need to watch the Age of Ultron deleted scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
I like how that line works equally well no matter which one is saying it.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I want to see the Vision expand more on the benefits of a shorn scrotum.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
How come Billy and Tommy didn't inherit any of their dad's features and have a different color hair than their mom?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

The same reason they aged up in a day and exist at all despite their dad being made of vibranium and also dead.

it's magic baybeeeee

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

How come Billy and Tommy didn't inherit any of their dad's features and have a different color hair than their mom?

Because they are nothing more than constructs she created.

Vision is a construct that she created inside of the hex.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/JordanRasko/status/1365984455098175495?s=20

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Lord Hydronium posted:

Not in the movies before now, and yeah, they seem to be the new SHIELD. In the comics I think they specialize in alien threats.

Yeah, I remember seeing SWORD in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

God dammit.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Sort of, but not for the reason you'd think.

Historically, up until the 1800's, most families only owned a single bed and literally everyone -- Mom, Dad, the kids, and guests -- slept in the same bed, often fully clothed, because furniture was expensive and the world was cold. Even in hotels, strangers were usually forced to share both a room and a bed. Around 1850, owing to a new but incomplete scientific understanding of how disease was spread, there was a concerted push by health authorities against people sharing beds: hotels forcing strangers to sleep in the same bed was outlawed in England, kids were generally pushed out and into their own beds, and eventually separate beds and separate rooms became a status symbol for wealthy and middle class married couples. It was essentially a Victorian health fad.

By the early 20th century there started to be pushback against Victorian norms, and sleeping in the same bed was seen as promoting a healthy marriage. By the 40's and 50s sleeping in separate beds was considered a sign of of a loveless marriage, but TV censors held onto the custom long after most of the public had abandoned it out of a sense of prudishness.

TLDR: they didn't make it up; it was a real, but outdated, thing.

Seriously did y'all not have grandparents or something, both of mine slept in separate beds their entire lives. Even after it stopped being the social standard they did it because they were old and set in their ways. IT'LL HAPPEN TO YOUUUUU~~

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

^ My grandparents started to sleep in separate beds after they got in a big fight (granpa was caught cheating).

It has come back to haunt us!!

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 1, 2021

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
What is loss, if not a meme persevering?

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

gently caress yes

radlum
May 13, 2013

Loss being CAD's enduring legacy will always be funny to me.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Pththya-lyi posted:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know what any of these things mean and I'm gonna go back to enjoying the show meme free.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Took me a moment.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Man I didn't imagine there would be so much discourse online about that "Grief is love persisting" line

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I mean it's kind-of set up to be one and people are silly, so

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

achillesforever6 posted:

Man I didn't imagine there would be so much discourse online about that "Grief is love persisting" line

Lots of angry people in my Twitter at some dumb line. Also, lots who know it's dumb but think it was actually good for what it is.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Pththya-lyi posted:

MCU TV: What is loss, if not a meme persevering?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cross-Section posted:

I vote yes.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Desperado Bones posted:

Lots of angry people in my Twitter at some dumb line. Also, lots who know it's dumb but think it was actually good for what it is.
Yeah I just facepalm as soon as people started really raving about it because I knew it would bring my friends or people who I follow go "Actually this is a garbage line for children" which is much more annoying lol

radlum
May 13, 2013

Cross-Section posted:

Yes.

I didn't expect WV backlash to grow so much in just this weekend, and based on people like (perhaps too much) a single line. I feel like a big part of Film Twitter has met a few very intense MCU fans and pretends that they are all like that.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
The images being flipped to match the original makes it better:
https://twitter.com/nataliereed84/status/1366168833661145090?s=19

Edit: and an unrelated one for fun:
https://twitter.com/limitlessjest/status/1365898527742644230?s=19

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 1, 2021

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

achillesforever6 posted:

i've seen the twitter discourse at the "so much trauma!" line and it's pretty amazing too

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/hieronymus_burp/status/1366164535699210240

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

:discourse:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

TLDR: they didn't make it up; it was a real, but outdated, thing.

I had two sets of aunts/uncles that slept in separate twin beds. One pair started about 10 years in and another 5 years or so after talking about it with the first. They all said it actually led to an overall better marriage since it meant better sleep which led to an overall better disposition. All four of them where a bit larger though.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

radlum posted:

Yes.

I didn't expect WV backlash to grow so much in just this weekend, and based on people like (perhaps too much) a single line. I feel like a big part of Film Twitter has met a few very intense MCU fans and pretends that they are all like that.
I think for some of my friends they are just mad having to hear about Marvel things on twitter and like yeah it's a hellsite lol

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I swear I'm going to go back in time and strangle Buckley in his loving crib so I don't have to keep seeing the loss meme like 13 years after it's first appearance.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
i have gotten so so tired of loss over the years

but i gotta reluctantly admit that one is pretty perfect

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

There's Wandavision backlash? On week 8 of 9? That seems weird.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I had two sets of aunts/uncles that slept in separate twin beds. One pair started about 10 years in and another 5 years or so after talking about it with the first. They all said it actually led to an overall better marriage since it meant better sleep which led to an overall better disposition. All four of them where a bit larger though.

And how was your visit to chocolate factory?

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
The Mind Stone which Cap took back in time still ended up atomised by Thanos, right? There's no (known) alternate timeline duplicate floating around like there is with Loki's Tesseract/Space Stone?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

jassa posted:

The Mind Stone which Cap took back in time still ended up atomised by Thanos, right? There's no (known) alternate timeline duplicate floating around like there is with Loki's Tesseract/Space Stone?
As far as we know, no.

We also don't know if the Tessaract alt-Loki took eventually ends up back in the proper place (on Loki, right before he dies to Thanos). Cap took the Tessaract back to the 70s military base. For all we know alt-Loki still ends up regular Loki, and by the end of his series ends up going back into custody and allows The Dark World-and-so-on to happen. That end really wouldn't surprise me.

Should I spoiler this? Is there literally anyone in this thread that hasn't seen Endgame in the last two years?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

jassa posted:

In Endgame, they spell out the time travel rules with "Back to the Future is bullshit."

Anything that gets sent back in time or changed in the past is effectively in a split timeline that exists separately from the original timeline. Banner says that you can't actually change the past and it just creates a cascading series of alternate timelines.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Anything that gets sent back in time or changed in the past is effectively in a split timeline that exists separately from the original timeline.
Not a spoiler b/c it's in the advertising-- the Loki series is literally about the TVA (agency that deals with time travel shenanigans) so we'll probably get more clarification on that. No idea how it'll square with the multiverse poo poo coming up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

In Endgame, they spell out the time travel rules with "Back to the Future is bullshit."

Anything that gets sent back in time or changed in the past is effectively in a split timeline that exists separately from the original timeline. Banner says that you can't actually change the past and it just creates a cascading series of alternate timelines.

It's basically just Dragon Ball time travel.

On a maybe related note, was reading up and Wanda's chaos magic has a long history in the comics. JLA/Avengers, the last official Marvel/DC crossover, actually plays with it- it mostly presents the Marvel and DC universes as weird and jarring to each others' inhabitants as you'd expect different universes with different cosmic constants and laws of physics to be, but Wanda is one of the few characters whose powers grow stronger in the other universe, since she can tap in DC's well established Chaos Magic well enough that it worries some of the godlike cosmic entities.

radlum posted:

Yes.

I mean this is literally just what Twitter is. Inventing a dude in your head, tricking yourself into believing he exists and getting real mad at him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

mind the walrus posted:

Not a spoiler b/c it's in the advertising-- the Loki series is literally about the TVA (agency that deals with time travel shenanigans) so we'll probably get more clarification on that. No idea how it'll square with the multiverse poo poo coming up.

The description of the show says that the TVA monitors all possible realities and that time travel creates separate realities that branch off from the "main" reality, so it should be exactly like Endgame. Loki is traveling to different realities/universes and not just different points in the main timeline.

quote:

Says Feige, “Loki is coming to Disney+, and I know what you’re saying: ‘Didn’t I see Loki die in Infinity War?’ You did, but what else did you see in Endgame?” The answer is that during the “time heist,” the mainline Avengers we love created a variety of alternate timelines when they changed the past, one of them included accidentally giving Loki back the Cosmic Cube after his capture at Stark Tower, which we first saw in 2012’s first Avengers movie. Instead of being taken back to Asgard to await punishment though, Loki teleported off-Earth to whereabouts unknown.

quote:

The Time Variance Authority is an infinitely vast bureaucracy that governs a significant number of realities in the ever growing multiverse. The organization has dedicated itself to keeping tabs on every reality that exists. Endgame established that you can't change your own past, so each potential outcome exists in a different universe on its own.

The question I got asked more than any other after Endgame is where did Loki go? What happened to Loki? This series will tell you what happened to Loki right after that. He goes to a number of places.